GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip> People are thinking he must have bathed in the lake, he must have had loads of blood on his shirt, he must have showered in the bathroom, or hosed off in the ports potty…etc. I don’t think so. With a little bit of logic and planning, he more than likely came prepared…
<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped> Realistically, black or dark clothing, worn at night, would camouflage most blood that could have gotten on the perpetrator IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is about the same time frame I figured for the killing as well. About 12:25-6 is about the soonest they could have walked to that gate. And i think it had already occurred when the jogger went in. I also tend to lean a bit towards the theory that the killer didn't know KJ, but had intended to kill someone that night.
I don’t disagree with the logic at all; just for some reason, IMO, I feel it was a person who knew her. If that isn’t the case, I believe it was exactly as you stated IYO, not a random killing, but planned for that evening no matter what woman showed up. I just don’t think, and I Don’t think like a murderer, that a person would choose for a victim someone with a dog. But maybe he or she threw caution about the dog to the wind and felt emboldened and energized no matter the added, or Because of that added obstacle/challenge.

I agree, it's overanalyzed. Realistically, black or dark clothing, worn at night, would camouflage most blood that could have gotten on the perpetrator IMO.
I see your point but the blood would drip & leave a trail, if someone noticed that say in dim light they may wonder what happened maybe the perp is injured. Secondly the weather was warm so a dip in the lake/pond wouldn't have bothered the perp. No one is ging to question a dip in the water on a summer night. The perp. may have walked away after the dip. I don't think the perp would stay around in the area. Maybe brought a change of clothes that were taken with the perp. to be disposed of later. Moo.

This crime is similar in a way to this case. Multiple open areas exiting the park, an enormous heavily wooded park in the city, perp. hiding in wait for a victim. This crime has a lot of parallells with Katie's murder, sadly. However this perp was caught by LE whereas Katie and Bowie's killer hasn't.

<modsnip>
IMHO
……the tattoo on Katie's back was slashed several times, even while in the darkness in the park, which shows a familiarity with her body. The body had to be turned over, either so they could perform those injuries, or afterward, bc Katie was injured on her ventral side, too.

Katie's face was mutilated by multiple slashes, "completely disfigured" (JSMorgan said), which indicates removing her individuality. "She's nobody now." Slicing of the eyelids indicates pyschopathic tendencies, to me; someone skilled with using a sharp knife in delicate areas. The time consuming letter carvings were meant to torture Katie.

Killer knew where she'd be at that precise time and most likely KNEW the PP was closed which meant very few people would be in the park.

These are some points that lead me to believe the Killer Knew Katie.

I see your point but the blood would drip & leave a trail, if someone noticed that say in dim light they may wonder what happened maybe the perp is injured. Secondly the weather was warm so a dip in the lake/pond wouldn't have bothered the perp. No one is ging to question a dip in the water on a summer night. The perp. may have walked away after the dip. I don't think the perp would stay around in the area. Maybe brought a change of clothes that were taken with the perp. to be disposed of later. Moo.
But if the killer left the park avoiding sidewalks, which is very easy to do, any trail of blood wouldn't be very noticeable in the dark on grass.
The lake (pond) is a no swimming area, so anyone in the water there is going to draw attention.

I don’t disagree with the logic at all; just for some reason, IMO, I feel it was a person who knew her. If that isn’t the case, I believe it was exactly as you stated IYO, not a random killing, but planned for that evening no matter what woman showed up. I just don’t think, and I Don’t think like a murderer, that a person would choose for a victim someone with a dog. But maybe he or she threw caution about the dog to the wind and felt emboldened and energized no matter the added, or Because of that added obstacle/challenge.
Oh I think the killer(s) knew her alright. <modsnip>

But if the killer left the park avoiding sidewalks, which is very easy to do, any trail of blood wouldn't be very noticeable in the dark on grass.
The lake (pond) is a no swimming area, so anyone in the water there is going to draw attention.

Exactly. Additionally, it was dark enough that night, and the city walkways inside the park so far from pristine, that there is very little chance that any blood trail would have been observable as such until morning, IMO.

However, this does bring up the important point that by the time morning came LE may have been able to track how the murderer left the scene (or even just the direction) by by any blood trail or bloody footprints left behind. And this would be a crucial piece of evidence for them, if they have it.

However, this does bring up the important point that by the time morning came LE may have been able to track how the murderer left the scene (or even just the direction) by by any blood trail or bloody footprints left behind. And this would be a crucial piece of evidence for them, if they have it.

I wonder if LE brought in a dog or dogs to help track a blood scent?

Exactly. Additionally, it was dark enough that night, and the city walkways inside the park so far from pristine, that there is very little chance that any blood trail would have been observable as such until morning, IMO.

That's what I was thinking but then why haven't they been able identify a perp? I mean they would have followed the perp on video footage unless the perp went off footage somewhere and LE lost the perp's track. K-9's would've been able to track the perp's scent though. Maybe the perp changed clothes and took those clothes either to discard or wash. Which shows prepardeness beforehand IMO. What if the perp dipped the blood stained clothes in the lake/pond and took those clohes in a bag that wouldn't leak. Could have the perp dipped the shoes being worn into the lake/pond and walked away after that, this way the shoes are clean of evidence and the perp hasn't gone into the lake/pond to swim or take dip? If not then maybe the perp brought shoes also. The perp was waiting so what's a little more time (in the mind of the perp.)

While I don't recall the mentioning of LEOs theory that the killer was familiar with Katie and Bowie in the anniversary presser recently, it was stated in Jan 2022, for sure. They don't think these were random attacks. We may not know why; although, I believe them.

One reason is bc the tattoo on Katie's back was slashed several times, even while in the darkness in the park, which shows a familiarity with her body. The body had to be turned over, either so they could perform those injuries, or afterward, bc Katie was injured on her ventral side, too.

Katie's face was mutilated by multiple slashes, "completely disfigured" (JSMorgan said), which indicates removing her individuality. "She's nobody now." Slicing of the eyelids indicates pyschopathic tendencies, to me; someone skilled with using a sharp knife in delicate areas. The time consuming letter carvings were meant to torture Katie.

Killer knew where she'd be at that precise time and most likely KNEW the PP was closed which meant very few people would be in the park.

These are some points that lead me to believe the Killer Knew Katie.
Good points. Could it be someone who was unknown to Katie and being a local only knew her from say a public pool, sauna, or her building where the pool, hot tub is shared? This does narrow it down somewhat but it could still be random because anyone could be there at this wrong time. Someone she met at a party with a pool where she swam or utilized (the pool hottub etc.) Someone known to Katie, maybe, but, she may not have gone to the park that night but someone else could have. Are their indications that the perp was laying in wait speifically for Katie, I haven't been on this thread long so maybe I missed it. So far to me I haven't seen any indications but I could be wrong.

That's what I was thinking but then why haven't they been able identify a perp? I mean they would have followed the perp on video footage unless the perp went off footage somewhere and LE lost the perp's track. K-9's would've been able to track the perp's scent though. Maybe the perp changed clothes and took those clothes either to discard or wash. Which shows prepardeness beforehand IMO. What if the perp dipped the blood stained clothes in the lake/pond and took those clohes in a bag that wouldn't leak. Could have the perp dipped the shoes being worn into the lake/pond and walked away after that, this way the shoes are clean of evidence and the perp hasn't gone into the lake/pond to swim or take dip? If not then maybe the perp brought shoes also. The perp was waiting so what's a little more time (in the mind of the perp.)
Because LE haven't publicly identified a suspect or person of interest, does not mean they don't have one. We have to be careful not to equate what we the public know, with what the investigators know. They always know much more than they release. And they sometimes even lie about what they know to be true, if it furthers their opportunity to build their case.

Even if they were able to track the perpetrator and gain clues from that, it may not be enough to identify him on any other video. Video from the park itself seems to be nonexistent and, as mentioned upthread, there are a million ways to leave the park that don't involve strolling out of one of the exits. I think if they had video and needed the public's help, that's something that likely would be released by now.

Final thought and just my opinion...when these cases go on with no apparent movement it's often not because the perpetrator was a mastermind who planned the perfect way to commit a crime and stumped the police. Instead it's usually a perpetrator who stupidly lucked into some situation where LE just don't have the final piece of evidence they need to make an arrest or prove their theory of the crime.

Trying to bring up the 1st news video report that was aired very early on 28 Jul 2021 from 11alivenews.com, titled ""Woman found stabbed to death in Piedmont Park" with no success. At this point, LE had not id'd KJ or EC ('found by someone in the park').
This report shows footage of investigators combing thru the park that early morning. Detectives, police officers, district atty investigators, several K9 dogs, medical examiner, Deputy Chief Hampton, Joe Clark, a red bicycle laying on the ground & the crime scene tape. IMO investigators were there searching for 5 hrs. They did leave a few officers there at the CS for several days & CS tape up near the lake & what I call the back walkway that's parallel to the east end of the lake.
CSI returned I believe on Sat., 31 Jul 2021 & retrieved a large limb from IMO a pine tree & threw it in the back of a CSI van that contained other items. It did not seem to matter that this limb be contaminated. LE had at least one diver in Lake Clara Meade & other detectives were seen searching the banks.
Plus, several dozen LE officers did a thorough ground search of PP & passed out the crimestoppers flyer to people in the park. IDR what day, but it may have been that Sat. as well.
IMO the killer went around the lake to the Park Dr bridge & exited/escaped thru that heavily wooded area that runs along Monroe Dr all the way back to Ansley Mall at the corner of Monroe & Piedmont Ave.
I believe train tracks were there many, many yrs ago & that is now a trail of some sort that may lead to a large parking lot off Amsterdam Ave ? or Dutch Valley Dr ?
This is just my opinion.

Trying to bring up the 1st news video report that was aired very early on 28 Jul 2021 from 11alivenews.com, titled ""Woman found stabbed to death in Piedmont Park" with no success. At this point, LE had not id'd KJ or EC ('found by someone in the park').
This report shows footage of investigators combing thru the park that early morning. Detectives, police officers, district atty investigators, several K9 dogs, medical examiner, Deputy Chief Hampton, Joe Clark, a red bicycle laying on the ground & the crime scene tape. IMO investigators were there searching for 5 hrs. They did leave a few officers there at the CS for several days & CS tape up near the lake & what I call the back walkway that's parallel to the east end of the lake.
CSI returned I believe on Sat., 31 Jul 2021 & retrieved a large limb from IMO a pine tree & threw it in the back of a CSI van that contained other items. It did not seem to matter that this limb be contaminated. LE had at least one diver in Lake Clara Meade & other detectives were seen searching the banks.
Plus, several dozen LE officers did a thorough ground search of PP & passed out the crimestoppers flyer to people in the park. IDR what day, but it may have been that Sat. as well.
IMO the killer went around the lake to the Park Dr bridge & exited/escaped thru that heavily wooded area that runs along Monroe Dr all the way back to Ansley Mall at the corner of Monroe & Piedmont Ave.
I believe train tracks were there many, many yrs ago & that is now a trail of some sort that may lead to a large parking lot off Amsterdam Ave ? or Dutch Valley Dr ?
This is just my opinion.
Either one? If not i will try again.

CSI returned I believe on Sat., 31 Jul 2021 & retrieved a large limb from IMO a pine tree & threw it in the back of a CSI van that contained other items. It did not seem to matter that this limb be contaminated.

Maybe there were some fresh carvings on that branch, so they took it to check if they were done by the same knife that was used to kill Katherine and her dog.

IMHO Very sad on many levels. More questions than answers at this time. For my HO, it seems like a particularly vicious crime and possibly very personal. There is the possibility that the individual knew routine. Disturbing. Hoping they find who did it.

Either one? If not i will try again.
Thank you for finding these dotr. My archaic system just couldn't do the job. I will say these videos have been shortened from the original & parts have been edited out IMO. Particularly, JC is not seen talking to LE & pointing toward 10th St. & not showing K9 jumping on electrical box near the CA entrance.
IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member