Found Deceased GA - Kelly Nash, 25, Buford, 5 Jan 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I find really strange about this is that after doing some digging I found that Jessica Sexton was married to a man named Jason Baker. He also died of an apparent suicide. Now to me that is highly suspicious. There was also mention of her previously being arrested for involvement in criminal activity and had meth on her. It could either play two ways...one they were actually using drugs or two she was actually involved. She knows more then she is saying. On the show she said she heard him turn his xbox off yet the xbox was found on idle? Idk...she seemed to be hiding something...

I got the impression from the show the girlfriend seemed slightly indifferent about the whole thing and was kind of matter of a fact when speaking about it.

It was a loss for her, being her boyfriend and all, but at times she was just going over details like it was some non-event, like a grocery list or something. She didn't seem as effected as the family.

With that said, I have my opinions this but either way I think there's more to it than she says.

What I find really strange about this is that after doing some digging I found that Jessica Sexton was married to a man named Jason Baker. He also died of an apparent suicide. Now to me that is highly suspicious. There was also mention of her previously being arrested for involvement in criminal activity and had meth on her. It could either play two ways...one they were actually using drugs or two she was actually involved. She knows more then she is saying. On the show she said she heard him turn his xbox off yet the xbox was found on idle? Idk...she seemed to be hiding something...

I definitely find this very strange. Several things about this case seem odd. If she was a long time live in girlfriend why was she omitted from the obituary? Also from her social media posts it looks like she had a serious boyfriend within 4 months of Kelly's death. I'm all for moving on but...seems odd is all.

I was just wondering if anyone else has wondered why he wasn't found when the dogs indicated his smell at the lake? I was stunned he had actually been there that whole time. Supposedly they searched with radar. I guess the whole situation is just so strange! I don't think he was in his right mind. Seems like he had no reason to commit suicide and no one had noticed any depression. Not that they always will. I am so perplexed by this case! Like the Elisa Lam case. I just can't figure it out! And I can't think of a reasonable theory!

I was just wondering if anyone else has wondered why he wasn't found when the dogs indicated his smell at the lake? I was stunned he had actually been there that whole time. Supposedly they searched with radar. I guess the whole situation is just so strange! I don't think he was in his right mind. Seems like he had no reason to commit suicide and no one had noticed any depression. Not that they always will. I am so perplexed by this case! Like the Elisa Lam case. I just can't figure it out! And I can't think of a reasonable theory!
For some reason that part always sticks out to me as well but I think, and this is just my opinion, that the search party just initially disregarded it as erroneous and the dogs were wrong.

Yet, as it turns out they were correct all along.

Now, why they disregarded it is any one's guess but perhaps at that stage the family was holding out hope and felt he was still alive and convinced searchers to keep looking.

Kelly Nash's case is a great example of how you can think too much. For some murder cases I can come up with theory after theory about what might have happened. This case is almost certainly a suicide, but because of its mysterious nature it looks like more than that. For all we know police found the gun and matched it up to the bullet and since it was Kelly's gun that makes it even more likely a suicide.

There are so many examples of weird suicides. But lets look at this case from a common sense perspective. If it was his girlfriend, what motive would she have?

What motive would he have to commit suicide? Maybe he was sick with a terminal illness? The question of why is what confounds people about suicide and murder? One commenter here made a good point that maybe he chose the lake so that if the gunshot did not kill him, the cold water would.

There are some unique questions about this case. For myself if I were a detective I would want to make sure I found the gun. The reason is if Kelly Nash did not take his coat, where did he put the gun? Did he walk with it in his hands? I think if it was in his pajama pants it would be bouncing all over. Then you have the security tape at the gas station the night before. When he walks into the gas station the one thing I noticed is that he had his hands in his pockets. Then there is the temperature. If you were going to the lake to shoot yourself, would you want frostbite? So in the security video of the person walking at 4:30 am, are their hands in their pockets?

But what does that prove? Nothing. Maybe he was walking so quick because he had a gun in his hands? It does not matter what you think, but what you can prove. And when you look too closely at small details like I do, you start to think that everything is murder. It is not like tv where every suicide is a staged murder scene. Sadly the answer to the question why is that sometimes the answer is that there is no answer.

A few days ago Websleuths had a message about maybe you end up being the one to solve a case. Has there ever been a case solved by an internet sleuth. I know missing persons have been linked up to the Doe network, but has there been a case when someone came up with an idea that actually solved a case?

When you do not know the same information as police that is what makes things difficult to understand. But that is also why websleuthing is fun, because of coming up with ideas that are mostly just speculation. Real crimes are solved by detectives that do their job and do it well.

I want to start by stating that I still think Kelly Nash's death is probably a unique suicide. But for hypothetical sake, let's say someone did murder him. How did they do it?

The only thing I can come up with that makes any sense after seeing the Gone in Georgia Disappeared special is that maybe someone called him that day and told him his girlfriend was cheating on him or had some other type of blackmail information. So they tell him to meet them at the lake at 4:30 or 5 am. He makes sure to be out on the couch and leaves his game system on so his girlfriend thinks he is playing. He leaves his truck so as not to disturb her or give her the impression he left to go somewhere. Then he quietly walks out of the house to the lake.

That person is there and they shoot him. But the problem is that ballistics would be able to tell whether or not he was shot with his own gun.

I thought it strange Kelly Nash even took a gun with him UNLESS he were going to use it on himself. The reason is that he is a martial arts expert and a big man. If he was meeting someone he must have perceived that person as a great unknown or a serious threat.

One thing I have noticed about dogs is that if the owner lets them out at a certain time in the morning, they always want to be let out at that time each morning. It is like they have an internal clock that tells them to let their owner know it is time to go outside.

I got the impression after watching the Disappeared special that Kelly Nash got up to go to work each day before his girlfriend. So on the show when she said she got up to let the dogs out, I am guessing it was because they wanted to go outside. The point is that it is usually the first person that gets up to go to work that lets the dogs out. I do not know their work situation or how each morning usually started for the couple. Maybe they both got up at the same time each morning and she let the dogs out. I guess police asked that question.

My conclusion about strange suicides is that maybe the individual wants to make it look like it is foul play so it does not look like suicide, especially when they do not leave a note. For all anyone knows, police have definitive evidence that he committed suicide and these questions I pose mean nothing. Maybe he had some type of medical issue revealed during his autopsy?

Why people do the things they do will always be one of the hardest mysteries to solve.

I just saw a repeat on this on Disappeared. It was my first view of the case. I've read a lot of comments on it and share in the mystery. I'm not opposed to the suicide conclusion, but, why did they not find the gun near the water's edge? Do you know if they ever found it? If not, why not? The gun would not float away, but, either be on the ground or just near the water's edge or just under the water. So, with the gun being elsewhere, how can that be suicide?

I do think more emphasis should have been made on the last phone call he made to his girlfriend. They said it was made to her soon after she reports seeing him last. So, why would he call her from inside the house, when she was inside the house? Did she not hear it ring? If he made it from outside the house, why would he return back inside to leave the phone there? Quite odd to me.

I wonder if they tried to trace Kelly's steps from the time he left the convenience store on video. That's the last time that he was actually seen by someone other than the girlfriend. Everything else is what she says, but, that might not be accurate.

Why didn't the dogs track Kelly's trail from the house if he left on foot?

I think the gun perhaps ending up in the water could be due to him going to the very edge of the pier and then firing it. I think this happened very close to the waters edge.

I think the gun perhaps ending up in the water could be due to him going to the very edge of the pier and then firing it. I think this happened very close to the waters edge.

Right, but, I could't find anywhere that they ever recovered the gun. If he was near the water's edge, it would have fallen near the body. His body would have floated away, but, the gun would not have. So, where did the gun go? I would bet they searched a lot to find it in that area and with metal detector. The absence of the gun is a huge deal to me.

Right, but, I could't find anywhere that they ever recovered the gun. If he was near the water's edge, it would have fallen near the body. His body would have floated away, but, the gun would not have. So, where did the gun go? I would bet they searched a lot to find it in that area and with metal detector. The absence of the gun is a huge deal to me.
I don't know the specifics of the lake, but the depth at the end of the pier could have been quite deep possibility but ultimately the absence of the gun means 1 or 2 things...someone else pulled the trigger or the police/searchers were not very thorough or did not feel it was important enough to further pursue.

Also, things like the condition of the lake, was there a current etc come in to play as well. From what I recall he had a Glock handgun, which is partially polymer based so maybe a weight of 20 to 25 oz, under 2 pounds definitely. Could it have moved enough that a simple cursory search missed it? It's hard to say but....I know there's been several cases where cars are gone undetected in lakes, so who knows.

All in all, there's been quite a lack of forthcoming information - the autopsy details, further info from parents and police. I still feel the reason for this is because they know there isn't a killer on the loose here, IMO. This was a reasonable high profile case, local exposure and the Disappeared episode...but any news since then has been nonexistent.

Yes, it is a mystery. It causes me to consider how a person commits suicide when they have no mental health history AND NOT one person says there was any issue bothering him. Apparently, no money troubles, no family troubles, no school troubles, no work troubles, no friend troubles, no drug troubles, no health troubles, no legal troubles........so...that leaves romance trouble. There didn't seem to be any, but, what else was left?

To me it seems odd that you would send a sick partner to the store at night in order to make purchases for you. I'd either do without or go myself, rather than send a sick person out. Just odd to me.

Apparently, no money troubles, no family troubles, no school troubles, no work troubles, no friend troubles, no drug troubles, no health troubles, no legal troubles........so...that leaves romance trouble.

To me it seems odd that you would send a sick partner to the store at night in order to make purchases for you. I'd either do without or go myself, rather than send a sick person out. Just odd to me.

That might fall into relationship trouble...which I think is quite possible here.

I have cued this episode to record when it replays in a few nights. I saw it the first time but seeing it again might help. Search your listings if anyone else is interested - it is being repeated on ID within the next few days. I recall wavering on my opinion (suicide or foul play) and wanting more facts, which never really came it appears.

May answers be forthcoming for those who knew and loved Kelly.

wow, watched this again, re-read this thread and still have no theory on what happened. Aside from maybe a hidden onset of mental illness, I just can't see suicide given what has been reported, but I guess it remains near the tip of my list of supposition, oddly. If this involved foul play then IMO eventually someone will slip up and his or her story will change and new angle for investigation will open up.

He obviously has not been forgotten, even by strangers.

I keep an eye on Kelly's thread pretty regularly myself. Something just never set well with me..idk..

Kelly Nash's case is a great example of how you can think too much. For some murder cases I can come up with theory after theory about what might have happened. This case is almost certainly a suicide, but because of its mysterious nature it looks like more than that. For all we know police found the gun and matched it up to the bullet and since it was Kelly's gun that makes it even more likely a suicide.

There are so many examples of weird suicides. But lets look at this case from a common sense perspective. If it was his girlfriend, what motive would she have?

What motive would he have to commit suicide? Maybe he was sick with a terminal illness? The question of why is what confounds people about suicide and murder? One commenter here made a good point that maybe he chose the lake so that if the gunshot did not kill him, the cold water would.

There are some unique questions about this case. For myself if I were a detective I would want to make sure I found the gun. The reason is if Kelly Nash did not take his coat, where did he put the gun? Did he walk with it in his hands? I think if it was in his pajama pants it would be bouncing all over. Then you have the security tape at the gas station the night before. When he walks into the gas station the one thing I noticed is that he had his hands in his pockets. Then there is the temperature. If you were going to the lake to shoot yourself, would you want frostbite? So in the security video of the person walking at 4:30 am, are their hands in their pockets?

But what does that prove? Nothing. Maybe he was walking so quick because he had a gun in his hands? It does not matter what you think, but what you can prove. And when you look too closely at small details like I do, you start to think that everything is murder. It is not like tv where every suicide is a staged murder scene. Sadly the answer to the question why is that sometimes the answer is that there is no answer.

A few days ago Websleuths had a message about maybe you end up being the one to solve a case. Has there ever been a case solved by an internet sleuth. I know missing persons have been linked up to the Doe network, but has there been a case when someone came up with an idea that actually solved a case?

When you do not know the same information as police that is what makes things difficult to understand. But that is also why websleuthing is fun, because of coming up with ideas that are mostly just speculation. Real crimes are solved by detectives that do their job and do it well.

I think what makes it so curious is that the girlfriend moved on extremely quickly, on top of the fact her husband ten years ago mysteriously died as well.

If that weren't the case then I could see why it's a cut and dry suicide. But no gun was ever recovered either, and it was a gun shot wound to the back of the head. Not to mention why did he walk so far away, ill prepared for the cold weather, to do it?

Suicides often have puzzling questions like this, but would one go through all that trouble miles away in the winter to kill them selves? Maybe. Maybe not.

I think what makes it so curious is that the girlfriend moved on extremely quickly, on top of the fact her husband ten years ago mysteriously died as well.

If that weren't the case then I could see why it's a cut and dry suicide. But no gun was ever recovered either, and it was a gun shot wound to the back of the head. Not to mention why did he walk so far away, ill prepared for the cold weather, to do it?

Suicides often have puzzling questions like this, but would one go through all that trouble miles away in the winter to kill them selves? Maybe. Maybe not.
I don't think there's been any definitive statement from the police or anyone as to where the gunshot wound exactly was. So whether it has the back, side, mouth, abdomen I don't think there's ever been an official statement.

As to why the gun was never recovered, many items that end up in water aren't quickly found. Or maybe it was found and police weren't compelled to release information.

As stated before, I think we might be over analyzing this. Suicide seems like a fairly reasonable conclusion here, and the complete lack of forthcoming information from police and family sort of corroborate that.

I know the girlfriend does seem a bit sketchy, but if anything I think that she problems may have caused some waves in the relationship and complicated things. But that's purely speculating.

It's hard to believe it's been 2.5 years and still no resolution on this case. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back