GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reviewing all the old articles.

This is interesting. The wording in this article, suggests that LE found the stolen items (condoms), in the search of SM's apartment, and then he admitted it.

I am going to speculate here, and suggest that the condoms (and whatever else) must have been stored/displayed in such a manner as to indicate that they were not his, or there was something else of a suspicious nature to suggest they were stolen, kwim?

Also, what was the basis for obtaining the search warrant, if LE did that PRIOR to finding evidence of the theft, and PRIOR to having him confess?

I don't think I would necessarily conclude they found the items at all based on that article, let alone that they were on display in some way. For instance, they may have found the key and questioned him about what he's done in other apartments, and he may have just blurted it out. I don't think that article gives enough information about that aspect to form any conclusions.

Was there a warrant or was it a search with his permission? I wasn't following closely early on.

We've already speculated that the condoms might've been labelled or displayed. IIRC, the pass key was also found in the intial search. My guess is the stolen condoms, burglary confession, and pass key provided probable cause to obtain a search warrant for items specific to Lauren's murder.

Okay, thank-you, Bessie, but, how did LE get the search warrant to begin with? That article clearly states that LE acted on a warrant to search his apartment, THEN found the items, THEN he admitted and confessed (unless I am reading it wrong?)

I have a question, was the torso ever sent to Quantico? Early reports said it was sent to the GBI crime lab ( in Atlanta I presume) and I read recently it is still there.
snipped

This was all I could locate:
After finding the body, Macon police spent all day investigating outside Giddings’ Barristers Hall apartment. The body, which had been dismembered, was turned over to the GBI crime lab.
Read more: http://www.gadailynews.com/news/columbus/69345-body-may-be-macon-law-student.html#ixzz1SkWAkuLF

Around 11:30 a.m., the body was removed for an autopsy at the Bibb County coroner's office.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/134065/153/Body-Found-During-Search-for-Macon-Law-Graduate

Okay, thank-you, Bessie, but, how did LE get the search warrant to begin with? That article clearly states that LE acted on a warrant to search his apartment, THEN found the items, THEN he admitted and confessed (unless I am reading it wrong?)

I'm pretty sure I read in an article (posted in the thread somewhere, but I'm not good at finding those links) that SM gave permission for his apartment to be searched initially. The last 2 searches have been executed pursuant to a search warrant.

I pray for Lauren and her family/friends every night. I also pray they arrest the true killer soon to help give her loved ones a little bit of peace.

I'm pretty sure I read in an article (posted in the thread somewhere, but I'm not good at finding those links) that SM gave permission for his apartment to be searched initially. The last 2 searches have been executed pursuant to a search warrant.

I pray for Lauren and her family/friends every night. I also pray they arrest the true killer soon to help give her loved ones a little bit of peace.

Per macon.com, regarding yesterday's search:

"Asked whether officers had obtained a search warrant for Wednesday’s search, Gaudet declined to comment."

I found a bit of info about the original search warrants on the Macon Police website, which has a listing of all the official information released by LE to date.

Throughout the day investigators processed two apartments in the complex – the apartment of the missing woman and a vacant apartment downstairs.

At present, MPD is executing a search warrant for several locations, and until dark continued to canvass wooden areas in the neighborhood, and common areas such as parks, that are open to the public.

http://maconpolice.us/?p=903

Giddings' Apartment Owner Frustrated by Investigation

The co-owner of the Barristers Hall apartments in Macon says she's frustrated with the ongoing police investigation at her property.

Boni Bush today told 13WMAZ's Candace Adorka that she has no problem with how police are handling the Lauren Giddings homicide investigation.

But she says the regular searches are affecting her business. Four of the complex's 16 units aren't available to rent.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/topstori...s-Apartment-Owner-Frustrated-by-Investigation

http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/g...frustrated-investigation/55535?utm_source=fbp

New article about the apartment building. The owner is living in one unit.. Wasn't there a mom and son living in one? So did they move out an the owner moved in? Maybe it was the previous tenant's stuff that Angela saw in the trash the other day. Maybe they threw out some stuff when they moved.

I assume BB means that the Spencer's have moved into a different unit, which totally makes sense given the circumstances. Good point MM, could have been some of their trash.

This is a good thing, that LE will be searching more.

Her complaining is bad PR, she should not say anything. It's unwise, IMO.

It's a matter of money/business for her and I see her point, but publicly stating that is in poor taste given the circumstances. Moo, Oink and Baaa.

Just thinking about the thefts of the condoms. Sorry if this is gross, but do we know if they were still new in the package when he stole them? Plus I'm wondering how the neighbors knew they were stolen (if they knew). If something like that went missing at my house without anything else being touched, I wouldn't notice.

Giddings' Apartment Owner Frustrated by Investigation

The co-owner of the Barristers Hall apartments in Macon says she's frustrated with the ongoing police investigation at her property.

Boni Bush today told 13WMAZ's Candace Adorka that she has no problem with how police are handling the Lauren Giddings homicide investigation.

But she says the regular searches are affecting her business. Four of the complex's 16 units aren't available to rent.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/topstori...s-Apartment-Owner-Frustrated-by-Investigation

I'm curious as to whether they've added more security features like she had mentioned she planned on doing in an earlier interview. I know that the other owner has been interviewed, but I believe she is the one that said that.

Instead of speaking out about how it's inconveniencing her, I'd be telling people what improvements I had made. Maybe it's just me, but I would find more comfort in better lighting, security cameras, and definitely new locks, rather than this owner moving in.

Per macon.com, regarding yesterday's search:

"Asked whether officers had obtained a search warrant for Wednesday’s search, Gaudet declined to comment."

Then it must have been the 2nd search. An article stated it was conducted pursuant to a search warrant. I'll try to find it.

UPDATE: Here is the quote from the article regarding the 2nd search: "Winters says his office obtained a search warrant late Tuesday from Bibb County Superior Court Judge Tripp Self. Search warrants are usually issued by a magistrate judge; Winters wouldn't say why his office got the warrant from Self."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/ar...partment?odyssey=mod|newswell|img|FRONTPAGE|p

It's probably a safe bet that they obtained a search warrant for the 3rd search too. You have to state with some specificity the items you are searching for in order to get a warrant - it cannot be totally vague. I think they have certain results back from the FBI, so they have a more targeted search, thus the need for a new search warrant. I really don't see SM granting his permission at this point.

http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/g...frustrated-investigation/55535?utm_source=fbp

New article about the apartment building. The owner is living in one unit.. Wasn't there a mom and son living in one? So did they move out an the owner moved in? Maybe it was the previous tenant's stuff that Angela saw in the trash the other day. Maybe they threw out some stuff when they moved.

BB planned to move into LG's apartment as soon as police released the keys. I think the mother & son are still living in unit 3:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=135641

When police release the keys to Giddings' old apartment, Bush says she plans to live there. She says she doesn't know when that will be.

Just thinking about the thefts of the condoms. Sorry if this is gross, but do we know if they were still new in the package when he stole them? Plus I'm wondering how the neighbors knew they were stolen (if they knew). If something like that went missing at my house without anything else being touched, I wouldn't notice.

I'm with you on the condoms. Was it a few condoms or boxes full or what? How could someone know if they belonged to them or not? Where they some kind of special condoms? I think most college guys have condoms. I don't understand how he can still be in jail for stealing condoms. Seems like there is more to this than that.

Indy Anna - thanks for posting that. Reading it again, it says 3 units are sealed and BB is living in the 4th. So I'm assuming she's living in the one the Spencers were in. Doesn't really matter.. I was just thinking that must be where all that trash in the trash can came from. I'd be moving too!

Then it must have been the 2nd search. An article stated it was conducted pursuant to a search warrant. I'll try to find it.

UPDATE: Here is the quote from the article regarding the 2nd search: "Winters says his office obtained a search warrant late Tuesday from Bibb County Superior Court Judge Tripp Self. Search warrants are usually issued by a magistrate judge; Winters wouldn't say why his office got the warrant from Self."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/ar...partment?odyssey=mod|newswell|img|FRONTPAGE|p

It's probably a safe bet that they obtained a search warrant for the 3rd search too. You have to state with some specificity the items you are searching for in order to get a warrant - it cannot be totally vague. I think they have certain results back from the FBI, so they have a more targeted search, thus the need for a new search warrant. I really don't see SM granting his permission at this point.

Have the search warrants been released yet? Is it 30 days in GA?

Indy Anna - thanks for posting that. Reading it again, it says 3 units are sealed and BB is living in the 4th. So I'm assuming she's living in the one the Spencers were in. Doesn't really matter.. I was just thinking that must be where all that trash in the trash can came from. I'd be moving too!

Okay. I see the article you are referencing now:

That contradicts a bit what BB said earlier she planned to do. It does sound like Mrs. S. & son have moved out (I don't blame them), so BB must have moved into that apartment instead. Interesting that LE still hasn't unsealed and released the keys to apartments 1 & 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14