GA GA - Male,wht,20-30 yrs,5'8-9'',140-180lbs,brown hair, blue webbed belt w/military buckle,9 Aug.1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
unidentified-remains - NICno: 218240004 | Georgia Bureau of Investigation
unidentified-remains - NICno: 218240004

John Doe
86-16789.jpg

Case Info
Date Found:
Sat, 08/09/1986
Race:
White
Wooded area 6 miles south of Ellijay, GA in Gilmer County
Weight:
140 - 180 lbs
Height:
5'8" - 5'9"
Sex:
Male
Hair Color:
Brown
Eyes:
Unknown
Birth Range:
1935 - 1955
Contact Info:
GBI Region 8 Office in Cleveland, GA - 706-348-4866
The skeletal remains of a male were found in a wooded area 6 miles south of Ellijay, GA in Gilmer County on August 9th, 1986. He is thought to be in his mid 20's to 30's, 5'8" to 5'9" tall, 140 to 180 lbs., and of Caucasian ancestry. A Pair of green or blue work style pants, a blue webbed belt with a military buckle, a white t-shirt, white or off-white boxer style undershorts, and brown loafers were found at the scene.

Anyone with information on the identity of these remains is asked to contact the GBI Region 8 Office in Cleveland at 706 348 4866. This references GBI Case Number 08-0065-01-87 and Medical Examiners Office Number 86-19789.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

http://www.missingveterans.com/1986/james-michael-welter/

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP15624JAMES MICHAEL WELTER, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactJanuary 1, 1986
Missing FromOcean Springs, Mississippi

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age34 Years
Current Age67 Years
First NameJAMES
Middle NameMICHAEL
Last NameWELTER
Nickname/AliasJimmy

SexMale
Height5' 5" - 5' 10" (65 - 70 Inches)
Weight155 - 165 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactJanuary 1, 1986
NamUs Case CreatedJuly 27, 2012
Last Known Location Map
LocationOcean Springs, Mississippi 39564
CountyJackson County

Circumstances of DisappearanceWelter has not been seen since January 1, 1986.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionSUBJECT generally parted his hair to the right.
Body Hair DescriptionUnknown
Facial Hair DescriptionMustache. Otherwise military shaven or possible short stubble or shadow from being off-duty for a few days.
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Possible military accessories. Such as a web belt or military ID. Was wearing CIVILIAN clothing during the night of his disappearance.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

http://www.missingveterans.com/1986/patrick-kevin-taylor/

Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP5357Patrick Kevin Taylor, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMarch 26, 1986
Missing FromBethalto, Illinois

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age27 Years
Current Age60 Years
First Name Patrick
Middle NameKevin
Last NameTaylor
Nickname/Alias--

SexMale
Height5' 7" - 6' 1" (67 - 73 Inches)
Weight175 - 225 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactMarch 26, 1986
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 8, 2010
Last Known Location Map
LocationBethalto, Illinois 62010
CountyMadison County

Circumstances of DisappearanceWas last seen in Memphis,TN / West Memphis, AR area. He expressed an interest in traveling to Kansas and Texas to look for work at about the time of his disappearance.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionKept shoulder length and longer at time of disappearance. Family photos show that his hair would darken in the winter and lighten in the summer.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionKept a mustache at time of disappearance.
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark
Scar near right eye.

A blue web belt with a military buckle would probably be an Air Force Belt, as other branches of the military use either black or khaki web belts.

However, just about anybody could obtain such a belt from a surplus store or thrift shop.

Odd that another unidentified male was found in the same area exactly one month later. Wonder if there is a connection between the two.

(Unidentified male found 9/9/86, 5 Miles SW of Ellijay in woods on Appalachian HWY. Gilmer Co. Found with clothing. Remains scattered, suggest animal activity)

Odd that another unidentified male was found in the same area exactly one month later. Wonder if there is a connection between the two.

(Unidentified male found 9/9/86, 5 Miles SW of Ellijay in woods on Appalachian HWY. Gilmer Co. Found with clothing. Remains scattered, suggest animal activity)

Had just been reading this article and wondering the same thing, fwiw..

I wonder if this unidentified man has ever been compared with the missing Air Force man, SGT David Michael Loew?

86-16789.jpg

Unidentified Georgia Male:
Date Found: Sat, 08/09/1986
Race: White
Location: Wooded area 6 miles south of Ellijay, GA in Gilmer County
Weight: 140 - 180 lbs
Height: 5'8" - 5'9"
Sex: Male
Hair Color: Brown
Eyes: Unknown
Birth Range: 1935 - 1955
The skeletal remains of a male were found in a wooded area 6 miles south of Ellijay, GA in Gilmer County on August 9th, 1986. He is thought to be in his mid 20's to 30's, 5'8" to 5'9" tall, 140 to 180 lbs., and of Caucasian ancestry. A Pair of green or blue work style pants, a blue webbed belt with a military buckle, a white t-shirt, white or off-white boxer style undershorts, and brown loafers were found at the scene.

------------------------------

F4404A17-9770-4E9B-84A7-B71C50910EA4

David Michael Loew
1. White Male Sgt. USAF Stationed at Griffiss AFB, Rome, NY. Car was found in Halifax, NC
2. Went missing 10 Dec 1984
3. Age: 22 Years old
4. Height 5 ft 8 inches
5. Weight at enlistment 138 lbs. (4 years earlier)
6. Brown curly hair, combed
7. Blue eyes.
8. Blood Type: O negative
9. Clothing Last seen: handmade sweater, slacks, Tennis shoes, or black leather oxfords.
10. Fingerprints not available in USAF records
11. Dentals: Available old copy. Recent dental work done in England by USAF
12. Personal effects: David had combed hair and trimmed nails. Carried keys for house, locker, barracks/dorm room, car. Regarding sheets of paper, David was known to have been to ATM and Bank just prior to his disappearance, and may have had withdrawal slips on his person.

LINKS:

Last edited:
According to the printed info on the Unidentified Georgia man, it was skeletal remains, but there is no estimate as to how long he had been dead. Certainly his clothing and hair were available and not completely missing or deteriorated.

Often, forensic artists (for identification reasons) will draw a sketch which intentionally shows the teeth - even though in life they might not have been seen prominently.

They do what they can with what they have to work with and for the most part do a commendable job. Some excel at making a sketch of a recently deceased person appear alive and alert. Others must take more artistic license when trying to do the same with only a skull which has very little or no flesh remaining.

That said, I think that there are some interesting similarities with this sketch and the photo of David Loew. Eyebrows and nose in particular. The general shape of the face is also similar. And the hair - although appearing longer on the John Doe - could either be just the artist's conception - or (if it is David) could have grown out if there was a period of time between David's disappearance and death. The fact that it is brown and appears to be parted in the middle compares favorably with the photo of David.

Height and Weight match, as do race, sex, and age range. David was in the Air Force, and the belt described on the John Doe seems to be of the type worn on an Air Force Uniform.

David's car was driven from Rome, New York south to North Carolina and abandoned. So it was headed in the direction of Northern Georgia just after David went missing.

Note that the photo of David in Uniform was taken a few years before his disappearance, when he was stationed in England.

Photos of David's teeth and dental work existed in his record at one time, and were sent to Maryland for comparison with another John Doe back in the 1990's, but investigators were unable to locate them later.

Last edited:
Last edited:

This is probably the same case with a typo in the date.

This is probably the same case with a typo in the date.
I think you're probably right. The ME case numbers are different (86-19789/86-16789) but like you said, probably a typo. I also noticed the NamUs link on this UID's DoeNet profile is not working (UP4703 vs the active UP11115). It's pretty confusing IMO. I may reach out to DN and see if they're able to clarify. I've never had much luck with NamUs reps.

ETA: @dotr I think David is worth submitting as a potential match!

I think you're probably right. The ME case numbers are different (86-19789/86-16789) but like you said, probably a typo. I also noticed the NamUs link on this UID's DoeNet profile is not working (UP4703 vs the active UP11115). It's pretty confusing IMO. I may reach out to DN and see if they're able to clarify. I've never had much luck with NamUs reps.

ETA: @dotr I think David is worth submitting as a potential match!
David is Richard's fine find!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back