GA - Mary & Elwyn Crocker Jr, both 14, starved, beaten & buried, Effingham Cnty, 20 Dec 2018 Arrests

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sheriff's Office
Sheriff | Effingham County, GA
For inmates
Jail Management

Court Records
The official court records are maintained by the Clerk of Court for Superior, State, and Juvenile Courts. They are available only from the office Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Information on this website is provided as a public service and may, or may not, be accurate. Recent updates including court calendars may not be included.
Clerk of Superior Court | Effingham County, GA

Former Walmart Santa, 4 Others Charged with Murder After His 2 Kids Were Found Buried in Family's Yard

January 30, 2019

"A Georgia dad who worked a stint as a Walmart Santa now faces murder charges along with four other people in the death of his 14-year-old daughter after her body was found in December buried in her father’s backyard...

Authorities initially announced charges for concealing the death of another and first-degree cruelty to children against Crocker, 49; the teen’s stepmom Candice Crocker, 33; their step-grandma Kim Wright, 50; and Wright’s boyfriend, Roy Anthony Prater, 55.

Similar charges later were filed against Candice Crocker’s brother, Mark Anthony Wright, 31.

On Monday the charges against all five were upgraded to felony murder for the death of Mary Crocker, Gina Sullivan, the spokesman for the Effingham County Sheriff’s Office, tells PEOPLE....

Charges have not been brought in the death of Mary’s brother because “the last time he was seen was in November 2016,” Sullivan says. “We believe that his death was about two years ago, so finding evidence linked to his death was a little more challenging.”..."

Former Walmart Santa, 4 Others Charged with Murder After His 2 Kids Were Found Buried in Family's Yard

Elwyn%20and%20Mary%20Crocker_1545356302962.JPG_65598669_ver1.0_640_360_1545417818860.jpg_65639611_ver1.0_640_360_1545422169753.jpg_65642887_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So watcher9 - no online access to court records I see....

and I have no access to the jail records...

Thank you both for trying to help! :)

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but looking at jail management scroll down to each name and it gives inmate description and then charges. Here are charges listed for Elwyn Crocker -

Code Description Type Disposition Case # Offense Date
16-5-1 - 0948 MURDER F REQUIRES FIRST APPEARANCE 1812-3041 01/01/2018
16-5-70 - 3801 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN - 1ST DEGREE F PRE-TRIAL (NO BOND) 1812-3041
16-10-31 CONCEALING DEATH OF ANOTHER F PRE-TRIAL (NO BOND) 1812-3041

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but looking at jail management scroll down to each name and it gives inmate description and then charges. Here are charges listed for Elwyn Crocker -

Code Description Type Disposition Case # Offense Date
16-5-1 - 0948 MURDER F REQUIRES FIRST APPEARANCE 1812-3041 01/01/2018
16-5-70 - 3801 CRUELTY TO CHILDREN - 1ST DEGREE F PRE-TRIAL (NO BOND) 1812-3041
16-10-31 CONCEALING DEATH OF ANOTHER F PRE-TRIAL (NO BOND) 1812-3041

Sorry, but I can't access this site - so I can't scroll down anywhere.... :(
No access re EU rules I'm guessing.

I am looking for their court dates actually, if you see any - or anyone reading here - please post! TIA! :)

A bill to address homeschooling concerns has been submitted to state legislation. This is in direct relation to Crocker children found buried in their backyard.

Bill requires more homeschooling oversight after teens found buried in Effingham County yard
From your link:
The bill keeps parents from removing a child from a public school so they don’t have to follow laws for school attendance, school discipline, parental involvement, or parental responsibilities. It also includes more requirements on parents to explain their reasons for homeschooling
IMO there's going to be tremendous pushback from homeschool coalitions that want to limit state interference. Without more info on the bill I don't know if it will cover the real problem anyway - removing a child from school who then "disappears," sometimes for years before it's reported.

The majority of state regulations on homeschooling contain no stipulation that the child must be physically seen - ever. Even required assessment tests that use neutral proctors can be done online.

Interestingly, Pennsylvania's Home School Statute states if a parent, guardian, or adult in the household has been convicted of certain criminal offenses in the past five years then the child cannot be homeschooled. PA also requires a yearly written evaluation conducted by a psychologist or other qualified person, implying they must actually see the child although it's not specifically written as such.

One policy recommendation from CRHE is that portfolio evaluators should meet the student in person.

IMO it's the ease that allows abusive parents to make a child 'invisible' that is the core problem in cases we've seen here. This is all MOO and I'm trying to avoid a thread-derailing political discussion so I'm just gonna leave my opinion at that.
invisible-smiley.gif

From your link:

IMO there's going to be tremendous pushback from homeschool coalitions that want to limit state interference. Without more info on the bill I don't know if it will cover the real problem anyway - removing a child from school who then "disappears," sometimes for years before it's reported.

The majority of state regulations on homeschooling contain no stipulation that the child must be physically seen - ever. Even required assessment tests that use neutral proctors can be done online.

Interestingly, Pennsylvania's Home School Statute states if a parent, guardian, or adult in the household has been convicted of certain criminal offenses in the past five years then the child cannot be homeschooled. PA also requires a yearly written evaluation conducted by a psychologist or other qualified person, implying they must actually see the child although it's not specifically written as such.

One policy recommendation from CRHE is that portfolio evaluators should meet the student in person.

IMO it's the ease that allows abusive parents to make a child 'invisible' that is the core problem in cases we've seen here. This is all MOO and I'm trying to avoid a thread-derailing political discussion so I'm just gonna leave my opinion at that.
invisible-smiley.gif

Pushback can be limited by involving homeschooling groups in the process, and keeping pictures of Adam Herrmann, Zahra Baker, Erica Parsons, the starved girl in Carnation, Washington and these two children in front of everyone involved. Each state probably has a sad & scary example.

During the Adam Herrmann discussion, I brought the subject up with a couple homeschooling families. Both felt that non-intrusive oversight was certainly possible & potentially not that difficult.

Portfolio evaluation is a great idea.

Most homeschooling families don't make horrible headlines!

Oh poor Mary.... :(

BREAKING: Georgia girl kept in cage, starved, beaten, cops say

SPRINGFIELD, Ga. —A 14-year-old girl was allegedly starved and forced to live in a cage made for a dog before she died and was buried in her family’s back yard, authorities said Tuesday (3/5).
[.....]
Sheriff’s investigator Abby Brown said five relatives all allegedly participated in abusing the girl, who was beaten, starved and given food spiked with pungent substances with the hope that she wouldn’t eat. It was all said to be punishment for various misbehavior: refusing to exercise, failing to do chores and stealing food.
The kids’ father, Elywn Crocker Sr. and step uncle Tony Wright, were in court for a preliminary hearing. Like the other three relatives charged in the case, they faces counts of child cruelty and felony murder.

@watcher9 - any updates on court hearings? Guess we missed this one for these 2. Wondering about the other 3? TIA!

So no date yet for these #*@&^^$.....

I caught a glimpse of the news this afternoon and apparently Elwyn Sr. and Mark Wright went to court today. Mark Wright asked for bond and it was denied.

Several articles came out today detailing some of the grim details of Mary’s abuse. It’s sickening. One sick abusive individual is one thing but 5 in one household is unfathomable. One article I read said she was whipped with speaker wire, guitar wire. Bathing her consisted of them carrying the kennel to the bathroom and hosing her off in the kennel. I think it was this article below.

Authorities: Georgia girl caged, starved before she was buried in backyard

Last edited:

SPRINGFIELD, Ga. —A 14-year-old girl was allegedly starved and forced to live in a cage made for a dog before she died and was buried in her family’s back yard, authorities said Tuesday (3/5).
[.....]
Sheriff’s investigator Abby Brown said five relatives all allegedly participated in abusing the girl, who was beaten, starved and given food spiked with pungent substances with the hope that she wouldn’t eat. It was all said to be punishment for various misbehavior: refusing to exercise, failing to do chores and stealing food.
The kids’ father, Elywn Crocker Sr. and step uncle Tony Wright, were in court for a preliminary hearing. Like the other three relatives charged in the case, they faces counts of child cruelty and felony murder.

@watcher9 - any updates on court hearings? Guess we missed this one for these 2. Wondering about the other 3? TIA!

Thanks for the update. They should fry everyone of them for what they did or let happen to her. It is a lot worse than I ever could have imagined. It reminded me of the book A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer.

A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1) by Dave Pelzer

I did not know about the hearing. I did find this.

No dates for the next hearings have been set yet, but we’ll be sure to continue following this case for you closely.

Investigator details punishments given to Effingham children in murder case

Apparently, LE are still awaiting the autopsy results that have not come back yet. I guess until they receive this, they are holding off on moving forward. I guess some things could be considered hearsay?

Crocker bond hearing: Teen starved, tased, kept in kennel before murder

The same tortures inflicted on these children should be carried out on the adults.
Exactly the same.
Tortured for stealing food -- when she was most likely starving.
Failure to 'exercise' -- when she might not have been able to do so, from the pain and stiffness of being locked in a tiny cage.
:mad:

Will go and sit on my hands for a while.....since I have nothing more to say about these sick dirt sacks.
Eta : Need a 'vomit' emoji.

Last edited:

[.....]

What?? It's almost impossible to believe. Like MattMatts-Momma said it wasn't one parent or two parents, it was two parents and 3 adults committing raining horrendous abuses upon innocent children. It really is unfathomable. From her link:
The detective’s testimony elicited mournful groans from people who didn’t even know the family but happened to be in court for other hearings on the calendar. The strangers closed their eyes in anguish and let out long sighs. Relatives who were there declined multiple times to comment to The AJC. Meanwhile, the children’s father, Elwyn Crocker Sr., 50, who most recently worked playing Santa at a nearby Walmart, betrayed no emotion and looked disheveled in his orange jailhouse jumpsuit and mussed beard.
Authorities: Georgia girl caged, starved before she was buried in backyard
Disgusting.

The same tortures inflicted on these children should be carried out on the adults.
Exactly the same.
Tortured for stealing food -- when she was most likely starving.
Failure to 'exercise' -- when she might not have been able to do so, from the pain and stiffness of being locked in a tiny cage.
:mad:

Will go and sit on my hands for a while.....since I have nothing more to say about these sick dirt sacks.
Eta : Need a 'vomit' emoji.
puke-smiley-face.gif

I feel the same way!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member