GA GA - Mary Shotwell Little, 25, Atlanta, 14 Oct 1965

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am fairly sure it was established that Isla worked at the bank, but I don't have time to read back through right now. Gut feeling, the boss is involved somehow. Would be interesting to know how long he worked at the bank prior to Diane's murder, and again, if anyone from the bank was transferred/fired closely thereafter.

A quick google shows that Mills B. Lane was the president of C&S bank in 1965, and that he was the campaign manager for Allen Ivan in the 1965 mayoral race. So that's a reason to keep a second murder of a C&S employee under wraps, and also shows a connection with the bank and politics, which could also be a connection between the bank and APD and records/files gone missing.
from the New Georgia Encyclopedia:
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1919

And to encourage his executives to pursue bigger targets, Lane once donned a shooting jacket, stormed a C&S conference room, and unloaded a round of blank .30-caliber cartridges. "I'm a banking fugue," he admitted, "a variation on a theme."

Not that that has anything to do with this case, directly, but shows that the president of C&S was an interesting/different guy, with high political connections, who might have gone above and beyond to conceal something.

A quick google shows that Mills B. Lane was the president of C&S bank in 1965, and that he was the campaign manager for Allen Ivan in the 1965 mayoral race. So that's a reason to keep a second murder of a C&S employee under wraps, and also shows a connection with the bank and politics, which could also be a connection between the bank and APD and records/files gone missing.
from the New Georgia Encyclopedia:
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1919

Not that that has anything to do with this case, directly, but shows that the president of C&S was an interesting/different guy, with high political connections, who might have gone above and beyond to conceal something.

It's all VERY relevant, Scout. C&S was in the 1960s (and in many ways until the end with its acquisition by Nations Bank/Bank of America) an Old Boys Club. C&S's power in Atlanta and its currying favor with the powerful of Atlanta is an integral part of this story. Sadly, part of that culture, I believe, meant that naive young women, such as Mary Shotwell and Diane Shields, were considered expendable when it came to protecting the interest of C&S and their powerful allies. That's part of why I believe there are individuals out there who could still share information and bring some justice to these women, their families, and all those who care about them.

Diane Shields was not sexually assaulted, IIRC. Her murder sounds almost like an assassination. The papers shoved down her throat, had she been "talking" too much, maybe ? Has anyone,anywhere ever seen a photo of Diane ? It's strange ; the story of Diane's murder was published in newspapers as far away as Connecticut.The new York Times carried the story, and most newspapers did make connections to Mary Shotwell Little's disappearance,and Diane's murder. But, never any photos at all....
Since it is not actually known that Mary was ever sexually assaulted, and LE said conclusively that Diane had not been, I don't get why it would be a sexual predator JMO
Isla did work at the bank, but not in HR.

It is odd that we've never seen a picture of Diane.

Something else that's strange - I was looking through some old newspaper articles and found this one. It seems Mary's disappearance and Diane's murder were thought to be connected to a double murder in Gaffney, South Carolina in 1968. I don't remember hearing about this possible connection before. If there was a connection, it sounds like there was a serial killer on the loose in the mid to late 60s that operated in Georgia and the Carolinas. I still think Mary and Diane's cases were linked, but this adds another possibility.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=5366,2738946&dq=diane+shields&hl=en

Cambria,
Great find on the photo ! I guess she had dyed her hair ?Because IIRC she was described as a blond . Yes, I had read about the roses. But you know what's odd ? That Diane told her sister that LE had asked her to find out what she could about MSL's disappearance. I think this was the sister that she moved in with after she moved out of the place she shared with MSL's old roomies.
It's too coincidental IMHO, that the two women shared these things in common : same bank, same job, same desk, same roomies. I wonder if Diane was working undercover, possibly for some branch of LE ?

Cambria,
Great find on the photo ! I guess she had dyed her hair ?Because IIRC she was described as a blond . Yes, I had read about the roses. But you know what's odd ? That Diane told her sister that LE had asked her to find out what she could about MSL's disappearance. I think this was the sister that she moved in with after she moved out of the place she shared with MSL's old roomies.
It's too coincidental IMHO, that the two women shared these things in common : same bank, same job, same desk, same roomies. I wonder if Diane was working undercover, possibly for some branch of LE ?

I'm glad I found an article with her photo...I've always wondered what she looked like. I kind of thought when I saw the photo that her hair was blonde. But the picture isn't the greatest, and I think her hair just looks darker because of the bad photo. I agree with you, and still think there is too much in common between Mary and Diane's cases for them not to be related. But I just thought it was interesting that LE connected their cases to the double murder in SC in 1968. From the article, it didn't seem like there was THAT much to link the cases, but LE must have thought otherwise. I just don't remember reading that Mary's disappearance and Diane's murder were linked to other cases before!

I found an article with a picture of Diane! When you click on the link, use the UP arrow to scroll up a bit and there is an article with her picture. She was pretty.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=3715,3385339&dq=diane+shields&hl=en

Cambria,
Thank you so much. What wonderful detective work; you've finally found a picture of Diane. From the research I've done, I believe the roommate referred to in the article that Mary and Diane both roomed with was a woman named Sandra Green who had been a classmate of Mary at UNC Woman's College. From memory (it's been a while since I did this research), Sandra graduated in 1961 and moved to Atlanta, Mary and her friend Janet Routh (Mary knew Janet from both high school at Myers Park High in Charlotte and UNC Woman's College in Greensboro) graduated in 1962 and they also moved to Atlanta where they shared a what's been described as a tri-plex in the Emory area. I'm hopeful we can continue to make progress for Mary and Diane.

Cambria,
Thank you so much. What wonderful detective work; you've finally found a picture of Diane. From the research I've done, I believe the roommate referred to in the article that Mary and Diane both roomed with was a woman named Sandra Green who had been a classmate of Mary at UNC Woman's College. From memory (it's been a while since I did this research), Sandra graduated in 1961 and moved to Atlanta, Mary and her friend Janet Routh (Mary knew Janet from both high school at Myers Park High in Charlotte and UNC Woman's College in Greensboro) graduated in 1962 and they also moved to Atlanta where they shared a what's been described as a tri-plex in the Emory area. I'm hopeful we can continue to make progress for Mary and Diane.

ncthom, you're welcome. I got lucky on Google News in the archives. A lot of the articles you have to pay for, but I found some free ones. Good research on your part finding the roommates and classmates of Mary and Diane. I'm confident more progress can be made as well!

I'm glad I found an article with her photo...I've always wondered what she looked like. I kind of thought when I saw the photo that her hair was blonde. But the picture isn't the greatest, and I think her hair just looks darker because of the bad photo. I agree with you, and still think there is too much in common between Mary and Diane's cases for them not to be related. But I just thought it was interesting that LE connected their cases to the double murder in SC in 1968. From the article, it didn't seem like there was THAT much to link the cases, but LE must have thought otherwise. I just don't remember reading that Mary's disappearance and Diane's murder were linked to other cases before!

Cambria, I think you're right about Diane's hair color - I believe she was a blonde (or blondish) and the poor quality of the news photo distorts the color. In all of the published pictures of Mary Shotwell her hair looks quite dark but almost all of her friends that I spoken with have described her as blonde or having light brown hair. In some of her yearbook photos, you can see clearly how light in color her hair was. I do think Mary and Diane shared many physcial traits and I suspect that had something to do with with why the perpetrator targeted them.

I remember the picture of Diane from her pictures in the paper at the time and it was blonde hair. Quite blonde. Mary's hair has always appeared black to me in the photo's. I agree with everyone who thinks there are too many shared experiences and relationships between the two women to be just coincidence.

I would love to see both of these cases solved.

ncthom,
I think what makes these two women seem to look alike are their hairdos. But, most young women in the 60s wore their hair that way. In fact,, if you take away the hair style, they really don't seem to look all that much alike IMO

Nice job on the newspaper finds Cambria! I am going to scan through those archives to see if I can find the article I read a long time ago about Diane's room-mates getting threatening calls after her death to the point where several of the girls moved because they were so scared. I KNOW I read that somewhere and didn't just make it up somehow.....

There are SO many parallels between these two women it is really hard to believe they were connected. How bizarre is it that Diane not only took Mary's position at the bank but she also lived with Mary's old room-mate and just like Mary she recieved roses from an unknown sender shortly before she disappeared?? I know the police stated they had tracked the sender down but I don't always believe what the police tell the media. The first article Cambria posted said that other women at the bank had reported getting anonymous roses too.
The big question for me is if it is the same person who committed both of these crimes then why did they leave Diane in a place where she would obviously be found yet hide Mary's body so well she was never found? Are we looking at the progression of a serial killer becoming more bold?

Also - has the rumour that Diane had been asked by LE to find out info about Mary been verified at all?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=5792,6827526&dq=diane+shields+atlanta&hl=en (Gift Of Roses Link Savage Crimes)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=5900,2642505&dq=diane+shields+atlanta&hl=en (Stolen Car Linked To Slaying)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=7285,3962566&dq=diane+shields+atlanta&hl=en (Stolen Car Still Hunted in Slay Case)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=5366,2738946&dq=diane+shields+atlanta&hl=en (Georgia Police Check Deaths in South Carolina)

I am going to do some searches to see if I can come up with anything about the murders in SC which police publicly stated could be linked the Diane and Mary's cases. Very Intereeeeesting.

Gaia,
LE had said that the roses which Diane received were sent by someone she had babysat for ?
I remember reading that the husband of a woman who had known MSL,( and I believe had once been a roomate ), received a phone call from an unknown male, who said " Your wife will be next ". This was strange,because the woman's name had never been made public.The couple were very afraid, and actually left Georgia. I don't know about any other threats to MSL's roomies. Of course,that call could have been some kind of prank.But still...

I recently started following this case and would like to make a few comments. Like others I have no way of knowing if any of my ideas are accurate, but this is how I see it.

First I agree that it is very strange about the connections between Shields and Little. After her transfer Shields even worked Little’s old desk. And then there is the odd investigation going on at the bank. But in the end I am afraid that I cannot see enough to convince me that there is a connection. Or I should say that I see things in the Little case that lead me to believe there is no connection. Allow me to expand.

While her boss’ actions the day after her disappearance might seem odd, I can rationally explain them to my satisfaction. For one, he had a detailed description of where Little’s car was parked. The co-worker, Isla Stack, who was with her at the Mall on the night of October 14, told the boss where Little said she had parked her car and in fact left her walking in that direction. Remember some of Little’s friends and/or co-workers mentioned that she seemed to be uneasy in the weeks leading up to her abduction. She mentioned she was afraid of being alone and of course we are aware of her strange calls and the roses. So maybe the boss felt something bad might have happened to her and he was going the extra mile to check everything out. And lastly this man was the head of Personnel. I have a background in HR and people in this function do tend to take a greater interest in employees and their lives. In the late 1960’s it is not hard to believe that he would have gone there to see for himself. I admit that it is a stretch to explain why he did not just take the word of Mall Security when they said the car was not there, but maybe there is something we have not been told, something the police were holding back. In any event, if it was suspicious I have to believe that the Police would have checked him out at the time. They did not think it odd that he went to the mall to check and that is a good indicator to me. Even after the Shields murder the Police did not consider the boss a suspect.

I think the husband was an odd duck but I can dismiss him. He was military, went to the Citadel, and was aloof. He was so uptight and conservative he was training to be a bank examiner. This type of man would be hard pressed to leave the car in that condition. No, I will give him a pass as well.

And yes, someone did call Little’s old room mate who was married and tell the husband “your wife is next”. That is creepy, but nothing else shows up that relates back to this call, so I will have to leave it as unexplained.

Here is my theory. I think this is tied back to NC. I think Little had an old boyfriend, or at least someone who was serious about her. He may have been an older man, even an instructor that she met while in college or maybe just someone that she did not date openly or tell others about her relationship with him for some reason. Someone who was then living in the Charlotte area. He reconnected with her. He was calling her, asking her to come to see him. She declined but said he was free to visit her. He sent her roses, which made her uneasy. That meant he knew where she lived and where she worked so she started to feel uneasy, but not threatened. After all, she knew him personally. So her fear would come and go, depending on circumstances. She was not afraid on that night to walk to her car alone. The secret she spoke about at work may have been related to the sex scandal, but I don’t think it was related to this mystery suitor at all. Could have been but probably not.

What she did not know what that he was a more serious threat then she realized. He decided to go to Atlanta to do her harm. Or to abduct her and bring her back to NC. He stole a license plate in Charlotte and a few days later he put it on his car and headed for Atlanta. He watched the building where she worked and when she left he followed her to the Mall. He watched her park her car and waited for her to come out, or maybe he went in to the Mall and watched her eating and shopping. I think the guy that approached the other woman’s car, the one the FBI agent thinks was the killer, was merely a coincidence. Our man from NC was watching when Little approached her car.

He confronted her. She recognized him and did not sound an alarm. He convinced her to get into her car and they drove out together. The person that thought she saw the Comet leave with a woman driver may have been right. She just failed to see the man in the car. Or maybe by now he was slumping in the seat and forcing her to drive. Either way, he was in the car. He must have had some knowledge of Atlanta, or maybe he just ordered her to drive out of town until he found some rural roads that he directed her to drive on, about 20 miles from the Mall. Dirt roads that resulted in dust on the car. They sat in the car and smoked and he had her undress. She folded up some of her underwear and placed it neatly in the car. At some point they got out of the car and he forced himself on her, resulting in some small amount of blood. Maybe he used some pieces of her stockings that he cut with a knife to restrain her while he raped her. He allowed her to put her dress back on but the rest of her underwear remained in the car where she left it. But the bra was knocked onto the floor, either then or earlier when he grabbed the stockings to cut off a piece. When they got back into the car he tracked some blood in. I think he drove back to the Mall while she, wearing a dress and probably her coat, road in the passenger seat.

I cannot explain how the security missed the car the next day. I have trouble believing there was another person involved with this. I have two theories. Either the security guard missed the car, but then again others said the car was not there when they arrived. The only other explanation is that we are dealing with an accomplice who either lived in the area or they had a room in a motel/hotel. If the latter, then the accomplice returned the car sometime the next day. But that begs the question why he would return a car to the scene of the crime and then walk away, on foot, chancing that someone would see him. I can see no reason for someone who had committed a crime to return this car to the Mall the next day in the middle of the morning, between 10 am and noon. No, I think they somehow missed the car and it was there all along, parked the night before. It is the only logical explanation I can see.

I think he forced her to get out of the Comet and they got into his car with the stolen tag that was still in the Mall parking lot or nearby. It was about 9:30 or 10 PM by now. They drove straight to Charlotte, where he used her card to get gas. He might have picked up a friend, either around that time or shortly afterward. In the intervening time they were either at his house or at the friend’s house. At some point they drove to the Raleigh area. It might not have been a full 10 hours later. In those days you would call in gas charges in bunches, not always once they were charged. Sometimes you waited until the end of your shift and called all of them in at once. There was no time recorded on the charge, just a date. The time was the time it was called in to the gas company, if there was any time recorded at all. The police were probably depending on the memory of the attendant for the time of the charge, and after two weeks had elapsed it may have been faulty. Even so, they may have just stayed at the abductor's house in Charlotte for several hours before heading out to Raleigh.

That also calls into question the attendant’s memory of a second man in the car. I myself do not think there was a second man in the car. I think it is unlikely that suddenly a second man was involved. This was a private affair. But I will admit it is possible. Maybe the assailant had a brother, close friend or even his father who came to his aid once he discovered what the assailant had done. Maybe the assailant suddenly didn’t know what to do and realized he was in big trouble. He thought Little would agree to come away with him and now he realized he was guilty of kidnapping and rape and was in big trouble. He turned to someone he trusted and needed help in getting out of this mess. Maybe the person lived in the Raleigh area and that is why they drove over there, or maybe they just wanted to get as far out of Charlotte as they could. But…..

If this was Little in the car, as the signature implies it was, and if her abductor along with man number 2 (if there was one) were planning on killing Little, why have her sign for the gas? Maybe it is as simple as the fact that, by the time they got to Raleigh, they needed gas and had no money for any. She had to sign for the gas as the card was in her name and the attendant would not take a man’s signature. Shortly afterward, Little was killed and her body was disposed of near Raleigh. The killer(s) drove back to Charlotte, the plates were switched back, and that is the end of that. The other man, if there was one, never talked. Maybe he died shortly afterward. Maybe he was also killed?

If I were to reopen the case I would look at her past to see if there was some forbidden romance or someone who was infatuated with her. It’s too bad her best friend was never interviewed in detail. I would check her college record as much as possible to see if there were any issues with her old professors, especially if one eventually moved to the Charlotte in the late 60”s. Any complaints from coeds around that time? Maybe someone she just happened to strike up an acquaintance with like a clerk at her regular restaurant or someone that worked in the library?

An alternative explanation is that it could be someone that she met in Atlanta, before she got married, and never told anyone about him. Like her, he is from NC, maybe even the Charlotte area, and he moved back to Charlotte. Or maybe he was working in Atlanta and either got transferred to Charlotte or moved to take a job there. That would explain his familiarity with the roads in Atlanta and how he was able to get around so well the night of October 14.

I do not think this guy just decided to up and drive to NC. No, there is a connection to Charlotte. Maybe he didn’t mean to kill her; he thought she would willingly come with him, if he could only talk to her in person. Someone that no one would ever think about and probably did not even know she knew them. But he was in Charlotte a few days before the abduction, when he stole the tag. Maybe he was in one of those “if I can’t have her no one will” moods, hence the stolen tag to cover his tracks. The fact that he apparently stole this tag several days prior to the crime tells you had been making plans and that he had something bad in mind before he went to Atlanta. He was planning on doing something that he did not want to get tracked back to him. And he drove directly back to Charlotte within hours of her disappearance. And they were still in NC later, using her gas card.

I think whoever did this is the same person who was calling her and sending her roses. And I would really look for a NC connection if I was to reopen the case

I was looking at this case and while this is not likely to be connected. It reminded me of Mary Little. The age and height are off just a bit, but I wonder how bad the body was burned. I was also struck by the simular hairstyle and dress. Green with white dots on this person and olive green with small white figures on Mary.

This was a couple of years after she was taken, but the area in North Carolina seems near where she was last spotted.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/474ufnc.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc