GA ARREST - GA - Melissa Wolfenbarger, 21, severed, Atlanta, 1998

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

penfieldc

Reaction score
Melissa Wolfenbarger, 21, went missing from her home in Atlanta, GA in late 1998. A severed body was found in the spring of 1999 near her home. In 2003 the remains were determined to be that of Melissa Wolfenbarger. Melissa was the step-daughter of serial murderer, Carl Millard Patton Jr. which gave some attention to her case, but it has fizzled out over the decades... Recent attention was brought to her case by CSI Atlanta's podcast.
Chief detective finds murder suspect's missing stepdaughter; remains near her home identified
CSI: Atlanta
Melissa Wolfenbarger

Sheryl McCollum from Cold Case Investigative Research Institute is LIVE now at virtual CrimeCon talking about this case. Right now Melissa's sister Tina is talking.
Join us tonight at 10:30 PM Eastern tonight and I will discuss this case on Websleuths YouTube Live.
CLICK HERE AT 10:30 PM EASTERN TONIGHT

Melissa Wolfenbarger, 21, went missing from her home in Atlanta, GA in late 1998. A severed body was found in the spring of 1999 near her home. In 2003 the remains were determined to be that of Melissa Wolfenbarger. Melissa was the step-daughter of serial murderer, Carl Millard Patton Jr. which gave some attention to her case, but it has fizzled out over the decades... Recent attention was brought to her case by CSI Atlanta's podcast.
Chief detective finds murder suspect's missing stepdaughter; remains near her home identified
CSI: Atlanta
Melissa Wolfenbarger

I was at CrimeCon too. I have so many questions and wish they weren’t so vague with some of the answers. On one hand, the husband is extremely suspicious, but I also hope they followed up on other leads and didn’t pigeon hole themselves. One of the parts I found curious was that he moved to another county and was using an alias. Did the alias provide any clues? When did he move? Is there a possibility that the primary crime scene is near there and the torso is there? I haven’t done much research other than a couple quick searches online, but I was able to find an article that mentioned he lived in Dublin, GA at one point which is east of ATL and extremely rural. Hoping they’re able to pull DNA evidence and that they have his on file to compare results.

Family hopes new year brings justice for beloved mom found dismembered, beheaded & stuffed in trash bags

Tina-Wolfenbarger-.jpg

A 26-year-old inexplicably disappeared from her Georgia home she shared with her husband and two children in 1998. Years later, her case remains unsolved but her family vows to never give up until an arrest is made.

When Melissa Wolfenbarger disappeared in November 1998, her husband, Christopher Wolfenberger, apparently didn’t report her missing. Her mother, Norma, later filed a missing persons report in Henry County, not knowing at the time that Melissa hadn’t been seen in months.

Melissa’s sister, Tina Patton, said that her family drove to Tina’s home around Christmas time in 1998 after not hearing from her.
---
According to Tina, Melissa’s home was empty and a neighbor said Christopher Wolfenbarger moved all of their belongings out.

When investigators questioned Christopher Wolfenberger, he claimed Tina walked away from home and never returned.
---
Months passed without any word from Melissa. In 1999, authorities found a human head, soaked in bleach in a black trash bag, off of Avon Avenue in Atlanta, The head was in an area behind a glass company that Christopher once worked at.

Later, investigators found additional remains in trash bags in the same area, but it would take years before the remains were positively identified as Melissa.
---
Melissa’s case was the centerpiece of the 2020 CrimeCon “House Arrest” presentation by CSI Atlanta, a team made up of crime scene investigator Sheryl McCollum and CBS 46 anchor, Karyn Greer. Sgt. Raymond Layton, who has been working on Melissa’s case for years, also joined the team for the event.
---
A surprising twist to the case came when Melissa and Tina’s father, Carl Millard Patton Jr., was arrested for three murders in 2003. Patton Jr. was convicted for the 1977 murders of Fred Wyatt, Liddie Matthews Evans, and Evans’ boyfriend, Joe Cleveland.
---
Patton Jr. has been cleared in connection with Melissa’s death.
---
“We never even got to be around them [the children] until Chrissy graduated high school,” Tina said, adding that Christopher Wolfenbarger left the children with his mother to raise.
---
Meanwhile, in an effort to help bring more attention to the case, McCollum, alongside her non-profit organization, the Atlanta Cold Case Research Investigative Institute (CCRI), is offering “cold case wines.” Melissa’s photo appears on the first-launched bottle, which will help raise money to help solve unsolved crime cases.

Tina-Patton-1.jpg

(Cold case wine bottle with Melissa’s Wolfenbarger photo. Holding the bottle is sister of murdered Melissa.)

Family hopes new year brings justice for beloved mom found dismembered, beheaded & stuffed in trash bags [Exclusive]

Hello Everyone

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself

my name is Kimberly Woodfin, I am Tina Patton daughter and Melissa Niece and the granddaughter of Norma Patton. I want to take the time to say hello and to say thanks for bringing up her case up last night! It has been almost 23 years since this case was brought up and hopefully we will be getting the justice we want this year!!!!

Please welcome kwoodfin1990 who has been verified as a family member in this case.

As a VI, kwoodfin1990 is not required to provide links to information they state as fact. You may respectfully ask questions of a verified insider, but please do not argue with them or badger them for information.

Thank you to kwoodfin1990k and everyone for being here to discuss Melissa's case.

Hello Everyone

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself

my name is Kimberly Woodfin, I am Tina Patton daughter and Melissa Niece and the granddaughter of Norma Patton. I want to take the time to say hello and to say thanks for bringing up her case up last night! It has been almost 23 years since this case was brought up and hopefully we will be getting the justice we want this year!!!!
Hi Kim. We’re so pleased you’ve joined WS. We want this to be a safe place for you to share. I need to study and bring myself up to date. I’m happy to help if you have research questions. Really, I just know this will be a positive experience for you. Welcome. Just posted:

Both Assistant DA Love and Sgt. Layton told Dateline they believe there are people who have information that could move this case forward and urge them to call police.

“It’s been 23 years… it’s time,” Melissa’s mother Norma told Dateline. “People talk about closure, but I’m not sure I’ll ever have that. We still have so many questions… and no answers.”

Two decades have passed since Melissa’s murder, but her family isn’t giving up. As their team of supporters continues to grow, as well as interest in the case, they tell Dateline they feel new hope there will soon be justice.

The case was featured at the 2020 CrimeCon “House Arrest” by CSI Atlanta, a team made up of crime scene investigator Sheryl McCollum, CBS 46 anchor, Karyn Greer and Sgt. Raymond Layton.

“Her family alone have kept her case alive but now they have a team,” Sheryl McCollum told Dateline. “An extraordinary team of remarkable people. To me, there is only one suspect and I want him to know we are coming for him.”

In an effort to bring more attention to the case, Sheryl McCollum and her non-profit organization, the Atlanta Cold Case Research Investigative Institute (CCRI), is offering “cold case wines.” Melissa’s photo was featured on the first bottle of wine to be launched, which will help raise money to help solve unsolved crime cases.

Christina told Dateline that for years she felt a part of her was missing, but reuniting with her mother’s family has filled some of that void. She hopes she has done the same for them.

When her son was born a few years ago, it was Melissa’s mother “Gran” who was there to cut the cord. And she’s the one he runs to when they show up on her doorstep for a visit.

“Nothing will ever bring my mom back, nothing will bring Gran’s daughter back - but it’s like a second chance for her,” Christina said. “It’s a second chance for our family.”

Anyone with information about Melissa’s case is urged to call the Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-8477.
Fight for justice continues two decades after beloved Georgia mother of two was found brutally murdered

I was at CrimeCon too. I have so many questions and wish they weren’t so vague with some of the answers. On one hand, the husband is extremely suspicious, but I also hope they followed up on other leads and didn’t pigeon hole themselves. One of the parts I found curious was that he moved to another county and was using an alias. Did the alias provide any clues? When did he move? Is there a possibility that the primary crime scene is near there and the torso is there? I haven’t done much research other than a couple quick searches online, but I was able to find an article that mentioned he lived in Dublin, GA at one point which is east of ATL and extremely rural. Hoping they’re able to pull DNA evidence and that they have his on file to compare results.
Welcome to our community. We’re glad you’re here to share; especially since you seem so well informed. Thank you. Your input will help to jumpstart the thread.

Katie Hawkinson15 hours ago rbbm
1723127883663.png
Christopher Wolfenbarger (left) has been arrested for the 1999 murder of his wife, Melissa Wolfenbarger (right) (Fulton County Sheriff’s Office (left), Atlanta Police Department (right))

'Decades later, her husband, Christopher Wolfenbarger, was arrested for murder after being a person of interest in the case for years, police said at a Wednesday press conference. The arresting officers found Wolfenbarger hiding behind a dryer at his Atlanta home on Tuesday.''

'Reporters asked Tina, Melissa's sister if the two ever suspected Christopher Wolfenbarger, and she said they "knew it" was him. A detective later said that Christopher Wolfenbarger was always a person of interest in the case.
"From day one, we knew it was Christopher. There was never ever any doubt in our minds who did this. My mom said when she first met him, there was just evil in his eyes. That is so true," Tina said. '

Sheryl McCollum will be our guest tonight to discuss the arrest in Melissa's case.
We go live at 10:30 PM Eastern. Click on the box below. See you there!

wool.jpg

A Georgia man has been indicted for murder, following his arrest earlier this month, in connection with the 1999 death of his wife, Melissa Wolfenberger.

Christopher Wolfenbarger has been indicted on murder and felony murder charges for the 1998 death of Melissa, who vanished in November of that year from her Atlanta area home

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandalent
Back