GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
agreed.....but just remembered.........they DID report stolen credit card or something the year before they were murderd, I think people pondered whether it was someone from one of the other murders in eatonton around the same time, the guy who was in with Lydia Ivanditti at the Cashmere but i think somehow that guy was ruled out, i think he was in prison.......he walked alot where he could be seen by many, IM sure all of the employees at the posh places they must've frequented at RP/GW was without faults, never know who some people hire or if they care...........

ALso, pondered, maybe a family member owed some drug money, seen that happen to a family of a person who was constantly owing money to the drug guy....they were getting broken into or or someone stealing utility trailers etc, that's minor really but..........what if someone OWED BIG money, knew he could get it from the dead parents.......thru the family

Just further musings.......The killers came to the Dermonds the day of the murder to carry out the executions. Period. So what prior event or events triggered such horrific rage that cost the lives of two people in the mid eighties? It's hard to believe it has anything to do with employment of some twenty years ago. Extortion just doesn't make any sense to me unless there were several prior attempts but surely wouldn't the Dermonds have reported such activity? I previously wondered aloud if the deceased Dermond son may have fathered a child who was born after his death and those who raised him tried to obtain maintenance money from the Dermonds. Quite puzzling all around.

Thursday before the murder, I think on video, he coudlnt walk there too far, i know the area somewhat, i have been to that publix
I don't remember the Rx's being picked up on that Friday or did you mean the week before? Did he pick them up at a drive thru window or did he go inside? Did they check the video to see if he was alone when he left or if he was followed? Were the Rx's still in the house when the crime was discovered?

trying to narrow it down to some logic here! LOL, thanks for input....and yes I agree, too much rage if they wanted to kill them they'd have probalby burned the house down too.............not caring if caught..........unlike the perps who did this.....Im just not feeling "an illigitimate child or grandchild" scenario
Added #9 and #10.

Would an illegitimate child leave the home in such pristine condition, especially if their mother had endured hardship w/o Mr. D's help? Just leaning toward the child would have wanted to destroy the home too. Maybe money was never a problem. They just hated Mr. D for being an absentee father. Great list BTW!!!

Let's do this:
UPDATED LIST:
1- angry grandchild........would have left a mess, like a druggee and would have taken things from the home and probalby not beheaded nor hauled SD off and dumped in lake

2-mafia hit.....would have come in and shot them both and left them were they fell

3-serial killer.......would have likely seen murders of the same nature before the D's and especially AFTER the D's in the area or atleast in the same state

4-drugee/neighbor kid.........would have left a mess in house and stolen items that were not stolen during this crime, probably taken all the liquor or as much as they could carry

5-extortion....would have come during the week so they could take the D's to the bank, saturday banks are half day or closed in GA....and atm machines only give you $300 per transaction

6- Robbers........would have shot them AND taken their wares and cash and tv's and stereo and computer (and liquor ) and other hockable items

7 -hired hit man--would confuse the investigation and leave no trace and would take head to conceal evidence.

8 - Illegitimate son of Mr. D--would've held on to extreme hatred for a rough life without financial help from a wealthy father. Would've had the attitude that he didn't need or want anything from them at this point in his life but wanted them to pay for their mistakes.......AND WOULDNT HAVE CARED IF THEY LEFT A DISASTER IN THE HOUSE

9 - Mistaken identity. Killer was supposed to kill the neighbors, but incorrect information was listed and they murdered the wrong people. although this information is easily accessed on tax records

10 - He could have loaned someone money without a paper trail for all we know and they killed him to get out of repayment but I dont think this kind of rage would be there.

What can we add or alter?

(looks like #7 would be most likely, what the community has been saying" if so, WHO HIRED THEM)

Repost please

Let's do this:
UPDATED LIST:
1- angry grandchild........would have left a mess, like a druggee and would have taken things from the home and probalby not beheaded nor hauled SD off and dumped in lake

2-mafia hit.....would have come in and shot them both and left them were they fell

3-serial killer.......would have likely seen murders of the same nature before the D's and especially AFTER the D's in the area or atleast in the same state

4-drugee/neighbor kid.........would have left a mess in house and stolen items that were not stolen during this crime, probably taken all the liquor or as much as they could carry

5-extortion....would have come during the week so they could take the D's to the bank, saturday banks are half day or closed in GA....and atm machines only give you $300 per transaction

6- Robbers........would have shot them AND taken their wares and cash and tv's and stereo and computer (and liquor ) and other hockable items

7 -hired hit man--would confuse the investigation and leave no trace and would take head to conceal evidence.

8 - Illegitimate son of Mr. D--would've held on to extreme hatred for a rough life without financial help from a wealthy father. Would've had the attitude that he didn't need or want anything from them at this point in his life but wanted them to pay for their mistakes.......AND WOULDNT HAVE CARED IF THEY LEFT A DISASTER IN THE HOUSE

9 - Mistaken identity. Killer was supposed to kill the neighbors, but incorrect information was listed and they murdered the wrong people. although this information is easily accessed on tax records

10 - He could have loaned someone money without a paper trail for all we know and they killed him to get out of repayment but I dont think this kind of rage would be there.

What can we add or alter?

(looks like #7 would be most likely, what the community has been saying" if so, WHO HIRED THEM)

Repost please
I'm still trying to figure out why take Mrs D away from the crime scene of the garage, and weight her down in the lake, only to float up and become tethered to tree limbs growing out of the water? Why did the perp (s) not just leave her body in the garage along with Mr D? Was she taken FIRST, away from the home BEFORE the murder of Mr D? What was the point in separating the two Dermonds?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

#7 and it is family related. Somebody was very impatient. Wanted their inheritance early. Tired of waiting on them to pass. Angry because of that fact. Hired someone who knew how to get it done. They knew Mrs. D's body would rise and so did SS. Just wanted 48 hours or more to make a clean getaway. Her body did rise later, I believe, than expected, but she still was found. Head was taken for evidence and because they wanted to keep their gun. Gun and knife enthusiast per the FBI. Maybe National Guard experience? Former LE?

I believe SS says Mr. D is on tape at the Publix. I'll try to find it on the podcast again. May transcribe SS's statements. Not that he said anything NEW!

Also didn't a neighbor report seeing Mr. D walking on the golf course that Friday?

The theft by credit card was never solved? Just speaking from experience, my dad's CC was stolen and it was the daughter of a woman who cleaned my dad's home. She got about $1000 worth of Dollar Store and gas with the card. He wouldn't prosecute because he thought so highly of the cleaning lady. LE wanted his permission to get the tapes from the stores to prosecute, but he would not agree to it. . . Very frustrating! All 3 of her grandsons are in jail now for robbery.

Shirley did have the newspaper correct the spelling of her name when the incident was published in the paper though!

Maybe it was some group against older white Americans? Maybe it wasn't personal.

There was a murder of a elderly African American female around the same time. She was murdered by a grandson. I'll try to link. It was on one of the older articles regarding the D's murders.

#7 and it is family related. Somebody was very impatient. Wanted their inheritance early. Tired of waiting on them to pass. Angry because of that fact. Hired someone who knew how to get it done. They knew Mrs. D's body would rise and so did SS. Just wanted 48 hours or more to make a clean getaway. Her body did rise later, I believe, than expected, but she still was found. Head was taken for evidence and because they wanted to keep their gun. Gun and knife enthusiast per the FBI. Maybe National Guard experience? Former LE?

I believe SS says Mr. D is on tape at the Publix. I'll try to find it on the podcast again. May transcribe SS's statements. Not that he said anything NEW!

Also didn't a neighbor report seeing Mr. D walking on the golf course that Friday?

The theft by credit card was never solved? Just speaking from experience, my dad's CC was stolen and it was the daughter of a woman who cleaned my dad's home. She got about $1000 worth of Dollar Store and gas with the card. He wouldn't prosecute because he thought so highly of the cleaning lady. LE wanted his permission to get the tapes from the stores to prosecute, but he would not agree to it. . . Very frustrating! All 3 of her grandsons are in jail now for robbery.

Shirley did have the newspaper correct the spelling of her name when the incident was published in the paper though!
Eye opener for sure. Thanks for your keen analysis. I agree with #7, as well as #8.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bringing treelights' post forward from thread #1 regarding the CC theft (link doesn't work for me):

Treelights: This website mentions an incident occurring in the fall of 2012 to a Russell Dermond of Carolyn Drive of identity theft. I believe they have the "wife's" name wrong on this link.
I think this is a typo.
Does anyone know if they have "adult" children living with them?
IMOO.

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/artic...9bb2963f4.html

"Web shopping scam nets $2K
A four-day, $2,000-plus shopping spree on two websites came as a big shock to the Putnam County couple asked to foot the bill.
Russell and Sandra Dermond, of Carolyn Drive near Lake Oconee, reported seven charges on their American Express card were made by someone else.
Five purchases on Macys.com and two purchases on Amazon.com were made between Sept. 20-23.
Reports indicate Dermond found the charges on his credit card statement and was told by his credit card company to report the charges to law enforcement. The case was reported to Putnam County officials Oct. 24."

I found the information referred to in my post #282 above regarding a neighbor with a similar name. In the beginning, the neighbor next door to the Dermonds was contacted and bothered by reporters due to a similar name.

The neighbors name was Dermond Russell Maples. We know how well media journalists fact check what they do these days! To add insult to injury, this poor man had been deceased for a number of years. His widow still lived in the home at 143 Carolyn Drive, the Dermonds next door neighbors. The house was for sale, and still is. It seems to go on and off the market. Priced at a reduced price now at $1,795,000.

Think this might be one reason it is not selling? Then add to it that the Dermonds house next door sold for $650,100., a huge price difference between houses next door to each other, plus a double murder was committed next door.

Just some information for y'all.

OMG then I am not losing my mind. I did read on one of the national news sites that when the murder occurred the house was for sale. I immediately thought of the murder being connected to someone who came through the house. I always wondered why no one on here brought it up, but then thought it was unlikely since realtors have the names of people going though. This was Again a journalistic mistake. Seems like there are so many in the news. How weird his neighbors name was so close to his name.

Bringing treelights' post forward from thread #1 regarding the CC theft (link doesn't work for me):

Treelights: This website mentions an incident occurring in the fall of 2012 to a Russell Dermond of Carolyn Drive of identity theft. I believe they have the "wife's" name wrong on this link.
I think this is a typo.
Does anyone know if they have "adult" children living with them?
IMOO.

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/artic...9bb2963f4.html

"Web shopping scam nets $2K
A four-day, $2,000-plus shopping spree on two websites came as a big shock to the Putnam County couple asked to foot the bill.
Russell and Sandra Dermond, of Carolyn Drive near Lake Oconee, reported seven charges on their American Express card were made by someone else.
Five purchases on Macys.com and two purchases on Amazon.com were made between Sept. 20-23.
Reports indicate Dermond found the charges on his credit card statement and was told by his credit card company to report the charges to law enforcement. The case was reported to Putnam County officials Oct. 24."

I wonder what the charges were for? Macy's, women's clothing? Charges would tell if it was a female or male. I'm presuming someone was in their home, took their CC and did this?

I wonder what the charges were for? Macy's, women's clothing? Charges would tell if it was a female or male. I'm presuming someone was in their home, took their CC and did this?

I think it was internet and not necessarily from someone in the home. I have experience with this too. It was weird because it happened not long after my dad's situation. The bank called to inform me that someone had made (or attempted to make) a purchase for an i-phone or smartphone from Wal-Mart with my debit card. The smart phone was to be delivered to the Wal-Mart in Dallas. I live about 150 miles south of Dallas. We did call a detective to report it and he came to the house and we filed a report. The bank prevented the charge from going through and we never heard back from the detective. NO clue how this person got my debit card information unless they zapped it through my purse when I was in public somewhere. I did buy an aluminum wallet for my CC's after that incident. It was weird!

I just came across something on Twitter and now I can't find it. It's happening in Georgia, Gwinnett County (I think). A couple have been arrested for stealing a quarter million dollars from a cancer patient. She cleaned the home and the guy came in later as a landscaper.

Fraudsters place a skimmer on an ATM or credit card terminal and download the data from all swiped cards. Plus there are always people with access to credit card information who will sell the info to fraudsters. They don't need to have the card in hand.

Couple hired to clean house stole thousands from cancer patient, police say

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - An elderly cancer patient says the couple he hired to help him during his treatments stole more than a quarter-million dollars worth of items from his home.

Toomey hired Janice Brown to clean his home, and then added the husband, Aaron, for landscaping.

Gwinnett Police say it's unclear at this point if the housekeeper and her husband might have targeted other homes, but it's something that is being looked into.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cou...ands-from-cancer-patient-police-say/587676649

https://twitter.com/TonyThomasWSB/status/895726792362921984/photo/1

Not sure how to post twitters.

Tony Thomas‏Verified account
@TonyThomasWSB
Following
More
72 yr old cancer patient says these 2 stole from his house while he was at bible study and getting treatments . What’s missing live at 5.

--------------------------------------------

Most likely not related to the Dermond case, but still pretty brazen crooks right there! Disgusting people!

Fraudsters place a skimmer on an ATM or credit card terminal and download the data from all swiped cards. Plus there are always people with access to credit card information who will sell the info to fraudsters. They don't need to have the card in hand.

I think this is what happened to me. A skimmer was on the credit card scanner at the gas pump...

I'm still trying to figure out why take Mrs D away from the crime scene of the garage, and weight her down in the lake, only to float up and become tethered to tree limbs growing out of the water? Why did the perp (s) not just leave her body in the garage along with Mr D? Was she taken FIRST, away from the home BEFORE the murder of Mr D? What was the point in separating the two Dermonds?

Exactly what was the point? IMO, they took Mrs. D away from the house in order to get her or Mr. D to talk. They wanted an answer from one of them as to something they wanted. Was it coins, cash, records, copies of birth certificates, deeds?????? Did they need a combination to a lock box, vault, safe, or maybe the name of someone that had the item(s) for safekeeping.. I think it was #7 but also a familiar presence was also on scene, which would explain the rage. Mrs. D. afraid not to talk as was Mr. D because they had them both in separate places to see who would talk first...Mrs. D never made it back home and poor Mr. D left in a horrific scene....sending a message to the safekeeper?????? JMO

Exactly what was the point? IMO, they took Mrs. D away from the house in order to get her or Mr. D to talk. They wanted an answer from one of them as to something they wanted. Was it coins, cash, records, copies of birth certificates, deeds?????? Did they need a combination to a lock box, vault, safe, or maybe the name of someone that had the item(s) for safekeeping.. I think it was #7 but also a familiar presence was also on scene, which would explain the rage. Mrs. D. afraid not to talk as was Mr. D because they had them both in separate places to see who would talk first...Mrs. D never made it back home and poor Mr. D left in a horrific scene....sending a message to the safekeeper?????? JMO

BBM ITA... this is the only way the separation of Mr/Mrs D makes any sense. IMO this scenario is "extortion".

But, now that we know Mr D's head was likely removed to hide evidence maybe there was no message to the family EXCEPT to frighten them? (i.e. Even if family members know who might have done this, they are too afraid the killers will come for them, their spouses, or their children?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe