GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
there were calls but did the daughter call about the derby results to discuss with her parents? I find that odd if not, she was a big equine enthusiast and attended kY derby in ky this year......jus thought it'd be a big thing to talk abuot afterwards especially since she was just there less than 2 weeks prior

RSBM

How frequently do most adult children speak to their elderly parents? I wonder if the daughter or sons tried to reach M/M D on Sat, Sun or Mon?? I don't remember any info regarding the children contacting locals to check on their parents. I know SS mentioned an email that was sent by M/M D on Friday but I don't remember if he mentioned the recipient. (Anyone else remember this email info?)

Now, knowing horse racing/equine industry was of particular interest to some family members... I'm again, going "hmmmmmm"

The email mentioned - approx 9:10

[video=youtube;rwrgugkLIZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrgugkLIZ4[/video]

Is this info of value regarding nets??

“A casting net can be used to catch shad to fish for, say, stripers, but if they catch a bream in a casting net, you have to throw it back in,” Elrod said.

Often poachers string their gill nets after midnight, so game wardens have been checking boat ramps to look for vehicles, he said. They usually go to locations where streams run into the lake where the water is more shallow, he said.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/...s-using-nets-illegally-catch-fish-lake-oconee

Learning something new every time I listen to the podcast. The garage was air conditioned/climate controlled. I wonder if the temperature control had been lowered purposefully to slow decomposition?

Reasons it happened on Saturday: There were some e-mail on the laptop that were sent on Friday. We know what time it was sent Friday. They know Mrs. D had completed the crossword puzzles in USA Today's newspaper. Saturday's paper comes Friday afternoon and her family said she always did it in the morning.

M/M D were very wealthy, but frugal, even using old calendars to write notes to themselves as reminders. Concrete contractor name was written on the 2003 calendar. Mr. D had planned on repairing a crack in the driveway. He was interviewed, vetted and ruled out.

Thoughts and questions:

1. Did someone within the immediate D family have a gambling problem? Loved playing the horses and couldn't stop. Needed money to pay off gambling debt. Mr. D said he would pay the debt, but had failed to do so? Kept putting the person off.

2. Did one of the children ask M/M D to help with a grandchild's college tuition and they refused?

2. Killer was aware of the D's habits for more than 2 years.
A. They knew the daughter came every year at Easter.
B. They were aware of the annual Derby Party and that the D's normally attended the Party.
C. They knew the D's attended church on Sunday.
D. They knew Mrs. D played bridge on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

They knew they had a very good chance of it being 48 hours or more before someone would come looking for the D's. There was no need to take the Rolexes or any value because they were set to inherit it anyway.

Well early on I have mentioned it before and got a warning so without saying it i'd investigate C for a few reasons .

Learning something new every time I listen to the podcast. The garage was air conditioned/climate controlled. I wonder if the temperature control had been lowered purposefully to slow decomposition?

Reasons it happened on Saturday: There were some e-mail on the laptop that were sent on Friday. We know what time it was sent Friday. They know Mrs. D had completed the crossword puzzles in USA Today's newspaper. Saturday's paper comes Friday afternoon and her family said she always did it in the morning.

M/M D were very wealthy, but frugal, even using old calendars to write notes to themselves as reminders. Concrete contractor name was written on the 2003 calendar. Mr. D had planned on repairing a crack in the driveway. He was interviewed, vetted and ruled out.

Thoughts and questions:

1. Did someone within the immediate D family have a gambling problem? Loved playing the horses and couldn't stop. Needed money to pay off gambling debt. Mr. D said he would pay the debt, but had failed to do so? Kept putting the person off.

2. Did one of the children ask M/M D to help with a grandchild's college tuition and they refused?

B. They were aware of the annual Derby Party and that the D's normally attended the Party.

They knew they had a very good chance of it being 48 hours or more before someone would come looking for the D's. There was no need to take the Rolexes or any value because they were set to inherit it anyway.

All good thoughts, Boots. It was someone who knew their habits and schedules, or had been advised of such. They came and left undetected. I know someone in an earlier post thought the perp(s) arrived by boat, which makes a lot of sense to me. Someone close to them needed money and was unwilling to wait.

IMHO

used for crabbing and shrimping, big commercial fishermen use them to catch hoards of fish but those are VERY large nets

Im not sure how else they are used

“A casting net can be used to catch shad to fish for, say, stripers, but if they catch a bream in a casting net, you have to throw it back in,” Elrod said.

Often poachers string their gill nets after midnight, so game wardens have been checking boat ramps to look for vehicles, he said. They usually go to locations where streams run into the lake where the water is more shallow, he said.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/...s-using-nets-illegally-catch-fish-lake-oconee

Can't hurt!! I think it's called investigating, right HG? AND, SS said he's only gone back 6 months in their accounts..........when you have no answers and there are still questions, why would he stop there?
Well early on I have mentioned it before and got a warning so without saying it i'd investigate C for a few reasons .

gambling is a very good point
Dont think #2 would cause this much anger
I believe they knew the D's habits as I've mentioned also
Dont know if daughter came every year at easter
Did the D's normally attend derby party? Dont recall hearing
church and bridge, good points

and with no family around, mute or not, depending on who is behind this, no neighbors, everyone preoccupied and NO very close friends apparently

Yep, they knew they had time, plenty of time, they probalby figured no one wold come until after tuesday, since no one suspected they'd been murdered, who ever suspects THAT?So people would call casually to check on them adn finally...........someone decided to ride over....on the 4th day

Thoughts and questions:

Not sure, mine are next door! LOL, easily seen and monitored
My aunt has help morning and evenings but her family still contacts her almost daily and all are out of state or city, not ready for nursing home and wants to stay in her home tho widowed now

My main thoughts was the daughter who was JUST there........is an equine enthusiast................who knew about the derby party (Im assuming) since she is a big derby fan as well

I would have thought for sure she would have called to see how the party went and discuss teh winners/losers and their gains or losses if they placed a bet

WHen did she marry? hmmm
RSBM

How frequently do most adult children speak to their elderly parents? I wonder if the daughter or sons tried to reach M/M D on Sat, Sun or Mon?? I don't remember any info regarding the children contacting locals to check on their parents. I know SS mentioned an email that was sent by M/M D on Friday but I don't remember if he mentioned the recipient. (Anyone else remember this email info?)

Now, knowing horse racing/equine industry was of particular interest to some family members... I'm again, going "hmmmmmm"

The email mentioned - approx 9:10

[video=youtube;rwrgugkLIZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrgugkLIZ4[/video]

Sheesh I'm slow... When I first read your post I quickly began going through my mental rolodex of people associated with this case looking for someone whose name begins with "C" lol 'Took me a few to realize that you were responding to previous post :D

The killer or killers wanted it to appear to LE that this crime was something it wasn't (an abduction for extortion or ransom).

It didn't matter to the killers if Mrs D's body was ever found for life insurance purposes because wealthy elderly individuals don't pay for life insurance. (They don't need life insurance.)
I can't get my head away from thinking this was a hit job. But, a hit done only to frighten someone else in the D family tree. I believe someone in the family tree owed some big money to
this particular cartel, or organized crime. Beheading Mr. D. was for shock value as well as a warning. Taking Mrs D. was another card up their sleeve and a bit of an insurance policy should the beheading not have worked to prod the family into getting the dollars together.

In other words, this wasn't extortion.
All this was was a warning to someone (s) in the family to get the money they
(the perp organization) were owed. Killing the parents (and this may sound terrible) was the most effective way to get their message across without having to go to more extremes. Like kidnapping the kids.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

FYI, trying to recall some things, but daughter remarried after derby party I remember seeing and posting that she had a new bf
Not sure, mine are next door! LOL, easily seen and monitored
My aunt has help morning and evenings but her family still contacts her almost daily and all are out of state or city, not ready for nursing home and wants to stay in her home tho widowed now

My main thoughts was the daughter who was JUST there........is an equine enthusiast................who knew about the derby party (Im assuming) since she is a big derby fan as well

I would have thought for sure she would have called to see how the party went and discuss teh winners/losers and their gains or losses if they placed a bet

WHen did she marry? hmmm

The thing that kinda bugs me about him is that his quote was in almost every early article. I guess he was one of the few people who didn't care if his name was in print in relation to the case???

Very interesting! Is that the type of netting that SD was wrapped in or weighted with?

(I'm not sure it matters but... ) this report states MrD didn't have an ATM card

"They lived a remarkably simple life, Sills said. Russell Dermond only had two credit cards and put everything on those to rack up rewards points. He didn’t even have an ATM card as he never carried cash, the sheriff said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/georgia-couple-killing-leaves-authorities-baffled-article-1.1828839

That's interesting! Sometimes computers go down and then if you don't have cash or checks you're SOL. My significant other is kind of fanatical about having cash on hand if we travel any distance. Not a large amount, but at least a hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by fred&edna View Post

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/o...sh-lake-oconee

Very interesting! Is that the type of netting that SD was wrapped in or weighted with?

A poacher, someone who knows how to travel on the water (even at night) and would know the area where Shirley's body was placed....

Quote Originally Posted by fred&edna View Post

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/o...sh-lake-oconee

A poacher, someone who knows how to travel on the water (even at night) and would know the area where Shirley's body was placed....

Link no longer worked. I found this article which may be the same story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe