GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The distance between the Dermond's house and the house for sale is quite a ways apart. I don't see how someone in a neighboring yard could hear people talking inside.
I can try to find the link for the overhead view again.

Here is a link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x88f6ed24ef40b0fb:0xb1df5a5de07016fc

I guess he could have been working on the property line where it is wooded.

Or they could have been at one of those houses across that cove. The cove appears to be rather narrow and there would be no trees between them to absorb the sound. Plus sound carries better across water.

According to "this"? Did you mean to put in a link?

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - GA GA - Shirley Dermond (Abduction), 87, Putnam County, 2 - 4 May 2014

Thus far, it has been allowed to stand in the first thread, BUT we better not push it too much with discussion, I guess...

And, sorry for my bad memory -- it does mention "landscaping", although doesn't say necessarily that was the work the person reportedly was engaged in "next door" to the Dermonds.

ETA: And it DOES say voices INSIDE! So...I don't know...[/QUOTE]

Here's the link to the post:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - GA GA - Shirley Dermond (Abduction), 87, Putnam County, 2 - 4 May 2014

Thus far, it has been allowed to stand in the first thread, BUT we better not push it too much with discussion, I guess...

And, sorry for my bad memory -- it does mention "landscaping", although doesn't say necessarily that was the work the person reportedly was engaged in "next door" to the Dermonds.

ETA: And it DOES say voices INSIDE! So...I don't know...

and the garage with the door shut would be INSIDE to most people especially if they don't SEE ANYONE, just that the door isn't as solid as the interior walls

Officials search wooded area; reward confirmed in Dermond case

http://www.msgr.com/news/article_5a998b5a-dbb5-11e3-9e5d-001a4bcf887a.html

Parole hearing?

From that article:

Deputies – 60 to 70 from Putnam and five other counties – plus about 10 FBI agents conducted a “man-to-man, arm-to-arm search” of a wooded area across the street from the Great Waters home of Russell and Shirley Dermond Wednesday – not because law enforcement officials had information about anything specific but because “it was something that needed to be done.”

Anyone else surprised that it wasn't done sooner?

The distance between the Dermond's house and the house for sale is quite a ways apart. I don't see how someone in a neighboring yard could hear people talking inside.
I can try to find the link for the overhead view again.

Here is a link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x88f6ed24ef40b0fb:0xb1df5a5de07016fc

I guess he could have been working on the property line where it is wooded.
Thanks for the google link. :)
No way the neighbors heard the D's talking.
You're right in stating the houses are a ways apart. The only way the neighbors heard each other is if they were all out side. IMOO

Has LE completed a search of the wooded area surrounding the home? That's a lot of area to cover. I'm talking about the entire wooded area in the neighborhood. Looking for a link for actual acreage.

FBI Offers Reward in Search for Wife of Decapitated Georgia Man

The FBI is offering a $20,000 reward for information about a Georgia woman missing since her husband's decapitated body was discovered in his home last week, Special Agent Stephen Emmett of the Atlanta field office said.

Authorities from local agencies, along with the FBI, are scouring for 87-year-old Shirley Dermond as they investigate the grisly murder of her 88-year-old husband, Russell.

Officials administered polygraph tests to maintenance workers with access to the gated golf course community where the couple lived, but the exams turned up nothing new, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper.
http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/us-news/fbi-offers-reward-search-wife-decapitated-georgia-man-n105666

Just not feeling it was not a maintenance worker, but that's just me.

Deputies and officers from seven local agencies, along with the FBI, continued on Wednesday to search a five-to-six acre plot of vacant land across the street from the Dermonds’ home in Reynolds Plantation.

But Sills said he doesn’t expect them to turn up anything.

“I’ve been confident since last Tuesday that her body was nowhere near the crime scene,” Sills said.

"Sills said the biggest challenge has been interviewing nervous friends and neighbors of the Dermonds.

“I’ve never dealt with a case where so many people were reluctant to talk,” he said. “They’re reluctant because they’re afraid they’re going to get their heads cut off. There’s a lot of fear.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/decapitation-mystery-reward-offered-for-missing-ea/nfwqX/

I don't know if she's still close by, but it would not surprise me for a weekender to come in this weekend or next and find something related to this case in their house.

I'm with the neighbors, gnger~snap and Foxfire - this case is giving me the willies! :ohoh: :nerves: :shakehead:

I'm no expert on this stuff, but even my "wireless router" is connected to the outside phone line, who could tamper?

the system GW had i understand was one that you could view on your television when tuned to a certain channel, of peoples comings and goings

I know there is a system online you can subscribe to or something to get video surveillance you can view from any computer/tv, probably networked computer? so was this through the cable network?

So where are the cables coming in at? IDK, just thinking out loud

The other day when I was reading about BTK killer in relation to this story, it was mentioned he used to cut the phone lines. Interestingly, and I point to which I was completely unaware, new technology apparently notifies someone immediately, whether it be the phone company or police, that the line is damaged.

Now, in my house, I have no active phone lines. But for older people, I would assume their phone would still be thru a telephone company and not a cable line.

From that article:

Anyone else surprised that it wasn't done sooner?

Less surprised by the timing, more surprised by the explanation! For no specific reason?!? That, in and of itself, is telling. I believe Sills gave a similar response when he mentioned borrowing equipment to search up under all the docks.

In the Daily Mail article, KD stated that LE has withheld important details of the crime. And in the press last night, Sills refused to discuss whether there were signs of a struggle. That is certainly an about-face.

For me, the comment that caught my attention the most was when Sills said he thinks it is as unlikely that the perp came by car as it is he came by boat.

To me, that means LE thinks he was already living, visiting, or working within the gates of the community.

not sure if this was posted yet:

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_e0db5b58-db97-11e3-bd55-0019bb2963f4.html

it has a lot of info. I have been following along and reading every single post.. what a terrible crime!

I found this snip interesting and it sort of fit with one of the thoughts I had while reading along:

A plan to steal something of “great value” in the house – something worth millions of dollars – “but normally, you don’t cut off somebody’s head, if that’s the case.”

I was wondering, being that Mrs. D is missing, if someone would have taken her along to another location like a storage room, etc? Wondering if they had any such rentals anywhere in any of the locations they have lived?

My other current thought is that this was a hit of some sort. Due to the nature of the neighborhood I don't get "random" at all.

just my :twocents:

just putting these two here for comparison (do they have the dates wrong?)

The couple was last seen Thursday – Russell at Publix in Lake Oconee Village at about 2:30 p.m., and Shirley, at her bridge club meeting at The Plaza Arts Center in Eatonton (see timeline, Page 2B).

http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_e0db5b58-db97-11e3-bd55-0019bb2963f4.html

(that is from the article five hours ago)

vs this:

Officials said that based on their investigation, they have been able to narrow the time-frame of the crime to somewhere between 4:30 p.m., on Friday, May 2 – when the mail was delivered – to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 3, when the couple did not show up for a party.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...-continue-search-for-shirley-dermond/9091165/

eta: I do see other articles with the thursdays things so perhaps they made phone calls, etc that allow LE to narrow the timeframe. (not to include the ME report which has not been shared so much but they surely have more info from that)

I am also sure that they most likely have an idea of the cutting tool used as they can study the marks and hopefully that will help them out in solving this. :twocents:

This case is so disturbing. Why leave RD's body but take his head? Why take SD at all, unless the plan was to keep her alive...I just don't see hiding her body but leaving his there. For all we know, there may have been ransom communications, and that's why they didn't search the woods right away.

Case results in talk, frustration
Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:43 am

~snipped
Russell Dermond, 88, almost certainly was murdered somewhere other than the garage, Sills said Monday – which he had suggested earlier.
The amount and pattern of blood in the garage suggested the corpse was brought to the house, Sills said.

After receiving results of an autopsy, he said the official cause of Dermond’s death is “cranial cerebral trauma” – which means the victim’s head was not found with the body.
http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/...9bb2963f4.html

just putting these two here for comparison (do they have the dates wrong?)

(that is from the article five hours ago)

vs this:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...-continue-search-for-shirley-dermond/9091165/

eta: I do see other articles with the thursdays things so perhaps they made phone calls, etc that allow LE to narrow the timeframe. (not to include the ME report which has not been shared so much but they surely have more info from that)

I am also sure that they most likely have an idea of the cutting tool used as they can study the marks and hopefully that will help them out in solving this. :twocents:

Other bits that have been reported about the timeline. I seem to remember that somebody thought they saw Mr. Dermond walking on the golf course Friday morning. Also Saturday and Sunday's newspapers were still in the driveway, but Friday's had been brought into the house. Mrs. Dermond had completed the crossword puzzle in the newspaper (I think it was Friday's paper.) It sounds like the mail was delivered on Friday at 4:30 and was brought into the house. Though it could be that the mail delivery person saw one of the Dermonds when they made the delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991