GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were invited to attend a Kentucky Derby Party, but they didn't show.
Would "every day" clothes mean something that Shirley would wear on an average day? Would she have worn those same clothes to a Kentucky Derby party, or would she have dressed up for the party?
(Did Shirley regularly "dress up" for church, or did she wear "every day" clothes to church?)
If Shirley was going to dress up for the Kentucky Derby party that she did not attend, and she was wearing every day clothing, this could perhaps narrow down the time line even more, perhaps??, possibly??
IMOO.

Exactly. It sounds like she was dressed in general for around the house so that could put the timeframe from anywhere early in the morning to nighttime. I would think for going to a party she would have dressed up a little more, maybe some nice slacks, a lightweight sweater or jacket, and elderly women wear hosiery I think.

She was wearing regular everyday clothes when they found her body.

Hi mck16 --- I probably missed it but where has it been reported by Sills/LE or MSM that her body was found wearing regular everyday clothes.....do you have a link? Where did you get this info pls? Thanks!

Who are the beneficiaries of their property and life insurance policies? How many children do they have and who are they?

You’re thinking like I have been thinking - who will benefit from the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Dermond? was Mr. Dermond a member of any entity that has voting (HOA is one example), was someone looking to eliminate his vote/support/non support? We have a HOA and years ago things got very crazy with anger built up. Thank God the issues resolved themselves with time but, at one time the HOA and neighbors were in a very uncomfortable situation - like I said anger, trying to sway voting, putting for sale by owner signs in yards to scare off buyers, one creepy neighbor provided us with a stake and sign to put in our yard and even said he would install it for us (hint, hint). Could there have been anger and resentment due to a real estate issue? You would not believe the HOA drama unless you’ve been through it. Anger, resentment, plus drugs and/or alcohol equals people who start thinking and doing crazy things. MOO

You’re thinking like I have been thinking - who will benefit from the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Dermond? was Mr. Dermond a member of any entity that has voting (HOA is one example), was someone looking to eliminate his vote/support/non support? We have a HOA and years ago things got very crazy with anger built up. Thank God the issues resolved themselves with time but, at one time the HOA and neighbors were in a very uncomfortable situation - like I said anger, trying to sway voting, putting for sale by owner signs in yards to scare off buyers, one creepy neighbor provided us with a stake and sign to put in our yard and even said he would install it for us (hint, hint). Could there have been anger and resentment due to a real estate issue? You would not believe the HOA drama unless you’ve been through it. Anger, resentment, plus drugs and/or alcohol equals people who start thinking and doing crazy things. MOO

And Why was it done on their property and near the property?
I think this might have to do with the real estate or the area that they live.
If it were a hit, they could have killed the Dermonds elsewhere.
Shirley was known to play bridge twice a week. Russell was spotted shopping I believe previously and he walks, too.. so both were out and about in their lives previous to their murders.
It seems like this was very demonstrative, and it was important to the killer(s) that Russell was found beheaded in the garage, and Shirley found less than 5 miles away.
IMOO.

May be well worth considering, as has been mentioned here before, mistaken identity and perhaps wrong couple was targeted? In a newsletter linked previously, I noticed that there is a person with a nearly identical name, i.e. substitute the "r" for an "s" who is involved in the HOA or something related to that. Having trouble finding the original link. Will keep looking. Likely nothing there, not even sure if they lived in the same subdivision as the Dermonds within RP...but a thought. The same mistake in the last name has even been made here by posters who have used the other name in a slight misspelling.

According to MLS, house next door remains for sale and has been on the market for 129 days.

What was time of moonrise and moonset the night of Fri/Sat? And what phase of the moon?

Moo - On lake Lanier, it's almost like twilight on a clear night if the moon is up and more than 3/4 full. MOO as I have been out many a night overnight on boats on that lake which is just north of Atlanta (Big Water is south of Atlanta)

Agree, they not only knew the lake, but possibly also this spot was on their way to where they were headed to put the boat out or take it out. Would really like to get a lake map with the location of everything, including their house, and the dump site.

Not sure if this will help. Also, I think it is an older map as Port Armor is marked and is now known as The Landing at Reynolds Plantation.

http://www.mark-higgins.net/traditional/OconeeMap.pdf

I have suspicions that the killer(s) was/were close to the Dermonds ... very close ... but until those suspicions are confirmed, I'll stay open to other scenarios -- such as, hopefully they're also looking at landscaping companies or even neighboring homes that may be under renovation. Workers around or near the home who might have seen an opportunity to victimize a wealthy, vulnerable, elderly couple. IMO.

IMO, the perp is going to be caught and it is going to be someone in the community.
Someone Mr. D ticked off, insulted his intelegence, in the peeps mind.
Everyone is going to be shocked, that this person could do this, but then we will hear that peoe always thought there was something not quite right about him.
The beheading was to show Mr. D. "How smart do you think you are now?"
Mrs. D had to be elimanated because she was a witness.

to my knowledge the business about Mr. D being in PJs came from an unverified member claiming inside knowledge from an unnamed source (ie. not even close to factual by WS standards).

Add to that that we now know thanks to the horse's mouth (sheriff Sill) that Mrs. D was wearing "everyday" clothing I tend to believe both were clothed in their normal daytime apparel and not dressed for bed or for an evening out.

I take we have still never found any direct quote attributable to the Sheriff or ME about the weapon indeed being a crow or pry type bar? So far all I could find was the reporter (Ms. Artz) who said LE were looking for a crowbar.

So for now, I am thinking much broader to any sort of instrument that could cause blunt force trauma but lead LE to believe it was an instrument of some sort and not someones hands or fists. I do believe LE are looking for some instrument. I just don't tend to believe it is crowbar specific til they themselves say so.

Not my first rodeo with the press, the facts, and how one wrong or mistaken comment from a reporter becomes instant fact for threads and threads.

With the exception of taking Mrs. Dermond.

And that is a very big exception.

Hello Eddie- why do you feel that the taking of Mrs D.
is not something the mob/cartel would do? Maybe
she had been used as a 2nd threat ie: If you don't do such and such by such and such, Mrs. D is a dead woman too.
Again, speculating here.

Perp/s could have ties to the community. For example, not a community member, but family member or friend of a community member who frequents GW enough to know all about the GW although not living there. Was someone threatened by the generous nature of the Dermonds’ and became angry and paranoid as to how this would ultimately affect them?

If I were Sheriff Sills: I would want to see a list of who was at the Kentucky Derby party and any pictures or videos made at party or outdoors of where the party was held. It is odd to me that the Dermonds were prevented from going to the party. Is the party a clue? Why not after the party? The timing is a bit odd. Also, checking on HOA meetings minutes (sometimes recorded) for the last year - these are usually detailed with attendees names, concerns brought up, and name of who is the concerned party. This might shed some light.

I don't know if it is anything significant, but according to homesnap.com there is an aerial google view with property lines shown. The way I see it on the map, the buildings next door cross the property lines. The home on the market now was on the market for a full year, then removed according to Coldwell-Banker then relisted again this January again.

Am I crazy?

JMO's

http://www.homesnap.com/GA/Eatonton/147-Carolyn-Drive

when was the party scheduled again and what timeline was LE saying the Dermonds died?

For some reason I was thinking the party was the day following when LE thinks the killings occurred. If I am mistaken and the timeline lines up with the derby party and possible other gatherings hosted by neighbors, then I would for sure be looking at all guests and outsiders who may have been inside the community to work, to attend a derby or other seasonal party at any other resident's home. MOO

when was the party scheduled again and what timeline was LE saying the Dermonds died?

For some reason I was thinking the party was the day following when LE thinks the killings occurred. If I am mistaken and the timeline lines up with the derby party and possible other gatherings hosted by neighbors, then I would for sure be looking at all guests and outsiders who may have been inside the community to work, to attend a derby or other seasonal party at any other resident's home. MOO

"Russell Dermond was last seen May 1 at a supermarket not far from his Carolyn Drive home. Shirley Dermond had worked the next day’s newspaper crossword puzzle, but no one had taken the couple’s May 3 mail out of their mailbox. That same day, last Saturday, the Dermonds failed to show up at a friend’s Kentucky Derby party."
http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2014-05-10/decapitation-mystery-they-didnt-deserve

"Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says he believes Russell Dermond was killed Friday, May 2, or Saturday, May 3."
http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_d8154a8a-db9a-11e3-b822-0019bb2963f4.html

thanks treelights! I am thinking that retired older folk who have routine's such as daily walks, bridge clubs, etc probably fetch their mail and paper in a somewhat routine fashion. Based on that I am thinking they were killed sometime May 2, prior to getting ready for bed.

Thank you for mentioning a timeline! I, too, think one would be helpful!

I am with you here. Pent up hatred, years of resentment, someone who feels slighted, or cheathed out of something.
Possibly even a long standing fued. Someone inside the community that feels inferior to Mr. D real or imagined.

I'd like to know if Mr. D was a member of any organizations or clubs. Is there
a" Country Club" there? What about Freemasons, Shriners- you know exclusively male members.
Here in Marietta the Marietta County Club was a golfing community and not too long ago women were still not allowed to become "members".
Family was allowed to use the golf course,tennis courts pool etc, but had no voting powers.

<modsnip>

I am not accusing a specific person. I suspect a situation may exsist that only the insiders would know about and might not divulge if asked.

Just brain storming. Moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

On the other hand, displaced anger could be involved too. By that I mean, someone had some anger about something that really didn't involve the Dermonds at all; they were just in the right place at the right time. Just something to think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth