GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anybody had a previous attachment to 147 Carolyn Drive?
The property was sold to the Dermonds in 1994, so the Dermonds owned it for 20 years.
Could there be someone who associated themselves with this property, and were upset that the Dermonds purchased it 20 years ago? Maybe they grew up in the area, and they are upset that they don't own this property?
I know...could be pretty far fetched, just throwing out ideas....
IMOO.

I wonder since he walked alot, he said something to a neighbor, complained about something. There are so many rules there, maybe he said something to the wrong person? Maybe cutting off his head meant to shut him up.

I think the two main theories I have seen put forth on the decapitation that feel most likely to me at this time are to horrify someone associated with the Dermonds or to deflect fro the actual reason for the killing by making it look like a sort of crime it wasn't (ie. mob or cartel hit, bizarre random sociopath or cultcrazed random group killing)

I think it less likely that the head was removed to hide physical evidence such as dna of perp via a bite wound. If the perp was bitten and was concerned about evidence, he should have been more concerned about the bite pattern to his own person or the possible infection to be had which may require treatment by a medical professional.

I am also not as fond of this theory personally because of the possiblity at Mr. D's more advanced age that he wore dentures. IF he did wear dentures it would be so much easier to simply remove the dentures and not his entire head. So that question being answered would help in figuring out if this is even a good line to continue down.

FYI, denture molds are kept for years by the dental laboratory/dentist moo

Yikes, just thought of a possibility that I don't think we've discussed before: That one or both of the Dermonds might have voluntarily gotten into a boat with someone -- ostensibly for fishing or just a pleasure ride. Someone they knew, of course.

Well I think they both got hit in the head and killed right away.
Was his head sent to someone as proof the job was done!

A local paper/access to the internet could have done that for him/her/them Moo

I sure hope anyone who may have seen a boat in the vicinity of where Mrs. Dermond's body was found during the pertinent timeframe is contacting LE with a description, etc.

Yikes, just thought of a possibility that I don't think we've discussed before: That one or both of the Dermonds might have voluntarily gotten into a boat with someone -- ostensibly for fishing or just a pleasure ride. Someone they knew, of course.

And if that is the case, it would make sense that their keys, cellphone, wallets were all at home, because maybe one took a ride, and the house was unlocked because the other was at home?
IMOO.

So the Dermonds didn't pick up their newspaper. When are the newspapers usually delivered?

If it's usually delivered in the morning and the Dermonds were found in their everyday clothing, that implies they died the day before (sometime before evening on May 2).

Exactly. It sounds like she was dressed in general for around the house so that could put the timeframe from anywhere early in the morning to nighttime. I would think for going to a party she would have dressed up a little more, maybe some nice slacks, a lightweight sweater or jacket, and elderly women wear hosiery I think.

Kentucky Derby parties are very fancy the ladies usually wear big hats and they get very dressed up..

And if that is the case, it would make sense that their keys, cellphone, wallets were all at home, because maybe one took a ride, and the house was unlocked because the other was at home?
IMOO.

Or, even if both went, likely they would have taken along ONLY a house key -- and the perp could easily have retrieved that and unlocked the house when placing Russell's body. It could even be that they routinely hid a house key outside and the perp knew the location.

FYI, denture molds are kept for years by the dental laboratory/dentist moo

so either way removing his head to hide evidence bite pattern would have been fruitless if he wore dentures. Thank you, this just cements for me that I more strongly disbelieve evidence removal was the motive behind the beheading.

So the Dermonds didn't pick up their newspaper. When are the newspapers usually delivered?

If it's usually delivered in the morning and the Dermonds were found in their everyday clothing, that implies they died the day before (sometime before evening on May 2).

Unless they got dressed before the paper arrived.
If they were early risers, it is plausible they were already dressed.
IMOO.

Or, even if both went, likely they would have taken along ONLY a house key -- and the perp could easily have retrieved that and unlocked the house when placing Russell's body. It could even be that they routinely hid a house key outside and the perp knew the location.

I had mentioned that a few days ago, before Shirley's body was found, that possibly they had gone to a friend's house for dinner or just to visit by boat. Or someone they thought was a friend. It would make a lot of sense to me it could have happened that way.

You are correct. I just don't see the point of taking her body away. What difference would it make if they left it there with her husband. This whole thing is crazy stupid. jmo

It made a difference and caused additional stress, trauma and heartache to those close to Mrs. Dermond.

I believe it takes a "special" kind of killer to behead someone. I'm sure the FBI/GBI have done a profile...

I agree and more importantly this killer knew their crime would draw attention and they did it anyway. That thought is just so disturbing.

Well I made a mistake and found this artucle Treelights posted on Thread 2 about the crow bar...sorry

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/source-investigators-find-body-putnam-county/nfyK5/

I don't think you made a mistake trigger. If this video is what I think it is (watching now to confirm) the only person who uses the term crowbar and that is Ms. Artz, the reporter who states LE is back at the house looking for a crowbar or "whatever" was used to kill the Dermonds

To me that means while a crowbar is thought by LE to be a possible weapon that would do the sort of damage the ME found to MRs. Dermond's body, they do not know for sure, it is one of the possible weapons that would cause the damage found.

Still fence riding on the weapon but something similar to a crowbar.

The poster who suggested slamming a person's head into a doorjam or something could be onto something. The weapon could have been an item that was a fixture somewhere and rather than wielded the Dermonds were slammed into that item

now wondering if a machete could cause death by blunt force trauma nd be used to behead someone after the fact

EDIT: image of machete removed - didn't realize it blew the margins - sorry peeps.

Exactly, why take the head? There is absolutely no logical motive to take the head. And if the perpetrator wants heads for some sick reason, why not take both victims heads. There really is no logical reason for any of this bizarre case. It is all a red herring.

I totally agree with your statement. No logic for taking a head. I think it is all a red herring too.

I see you haven't had the pleasure of hanging out with my 83 yr old Dad:)

Look at the porches on this house. I could definitely see them having a snack, breakfast, stargazing, etc in their jammies on one of these.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...n/derivatives/article_970/russell-dermond.jpg

ABSOLUTELY AGREE! in jammies by the house often at the lake!

Out on dock in jammies, different imho. But then again, being in your 80's you do pretty much anything to have fun/enjoy life and be eccentric if ya wanna!

Exactly, why take the head? There is absolutely no logical motive to take the head. And if the perpetrator wants heads for some sick reason, why not take both victims heads. There really is no logical reason for any of this bizarre case. It is all a red herring.

Everything is done for a reason and you have to consider these killer knew this crime would generate a lot of attention. They did what they did for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member