Identified! GA - Springer Mtn, Benton MacKaye Trail, Unk Male, UP88987, poss hiker, Jan'22 - Stephen Lucas Ryan

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The clothing, boots, and shovel all seem remarkably clean and intact, even though the remains were partially skeletonized. Maybe they were preserved by winter snow and a recent rain? Maybe he had a campsite somewhere nearby as not many day hikers would travel with a shovel. The boots also look like good quality boots that a through hiker might possibly wear. MOO

The clothing, boots, and shovel all seem remarkably clean and intact, even though the remains were partially skeletonized. Maybe they were preserved by winter snow and a recent rain? Maybe he had a campsite somewhere nearby as not many day hikers would travel with a shovel. The boots also look like good quality boots that a through hiker might possibly wear. MOO
My parents live about 10 minutes away from where he was found. They had a very cold winter. I agree, scouting around for a campsite is a great idea.

The article in the Georgia Sun linked above (first post) says he had a Thermal-FR brand quarter-zip fleece pullover. I hope they update that information, because Thermal-FR is not a brand. Rather, it is a fleece fabric made by Polartec, but used by many different clothing company brands (FR = flame resistant). Knowing the actual brand might help track down where it was purchased, and/or might help people recognize the man.

Also, it's odd that the news article lists brands for other items, such as Keen hiking boots, but the NamUs file doesn't list any brands. Why would NamUs leave out that helpful info?

Some commenters at the GBI fb page have suggested that, with that type of shovel, he might not have been a hiker after all, and may have been a rockhound or someone out looking for ginseng.
ETA That might also explain the rather clean clothing.

Some commenters at the GBI fb page have suggested that, with that type of shovel, he might not have been a hiker after all, and may have been a rockhound or someone out looking for ginseng.
ETA That might also explain the rather clean clothing.
I saw that. I've never carried a shovel while hiking.

I saw that. I've never carried a shovel while hiking.

I wish we knew how long he was dead before he was found in late January. Does it ever snow on that mountain? Here in northern Vermont/NH/NY/Maine, winter camping and hiking is popular, and you would carry a foldable shovel like that (backcountry skiing, backcountry camping, backcountry hiking/snowshoeing). Could he have been starting from the south this year but expecting snow farther north on his hike? Could he have been coming off his hike in the late winter last year and had his shovel because there was snow farther north and he needed it at that time?

So many questions.

I wish we knew how long he was dead before he was found in late January. Does it ever snow on that mountain? Here in northern Vermont/NH/NY/Maine, winter camping and hiking is popular, and you would carry a foldable shovel like that (backcountry skiing, backcountry camping, backcountry hiking/snowshoeing). Could he have been starting from the south this year but expecting snow farther north on his hike? Could he have been coming off his hike in the late winter last year and had his shovel because there was snow farther north and he needed it at that time?

So many questions.
Yes it definitely snows there, even on the BMT. I got numerous snow pics from my parents this winter and they live about 10 minutes from the BMT crossing on 515, and also in Fannin County.

I think he was there a long time, probably through the fall, before the winter.

His gear shows he was out there in fall, IMO. The area had a lot of snow and many days in the 20's over the winter.

The shovel is unique to me. I was talking to another sleuther yesterday and I realized that in the general area he was found is a great spot for hunting Fairy Crosses. These are a mineral formation called staurolite and can be found in creeks. He was found next to a creek. Just throwing it out there as a reason for him to be out there in that locale.

The Legend of Fairy Crosses

This is a stretch, but could it be one of the Hawkins brothers? They went missing near Rocky Top, TN in August 2021 while hunting for ginseng. It's a bit over a 3 hours drive from there. Why and how they might get to Georgia is harder to explain, since their vehicle was found in TN near where they were believed to have gone into the woods.

TN - TN - Scott Hawkins, 51 & Tracy Hawkins, 44, brothers, ginseng hunting, Rocky Top, 6 Aug 2021
Doesn't seem like this UID could be either of them. They were 6' tall and an article I read said the UID's pants were size 30x32. I think he was 5'10" max.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back