Identified! GA - Stone Mountain BlkFem UP77802 pre-30 Dec'82 - Marlene Standridge

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Melt71

Reaction score
Case added to Namus today. Case is not on Doe Network.
www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/77802/details

Case Numbers ME/C Case Number82-25926
Demographics
Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity Black / African American
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 30
Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found December 9, 1982
NamUs Case Created February 9, 2021
Location Found Map
Location Stone Mountain, Georgia
County Gwinnett County
Found On Tribal Land No
Circumstances of Recovery A construction worker found a human skull in the woods. Police officers were summoned to the scene and upon searching a few additional skeletal remains and some clothing were found.
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Clothing and Accessories
Clothing - 2-Shoes, 1-blue/green argyle sock, 1-maroon/grey striped blouse - Near the Body
Thumbnail

Rest peacefully now Marlene.https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/l...cle_74e0551e-171e-11ec-8d4b-335717621b92.html

DNA test helps Gwinnett police identify remains of woman missing since early 1970s

"Recently, at a friend’s urging, Janis Adams submitted her DNA to a law enforcement database," Winderweedle said. "Her DNA matched the remains. Janis Adams has so far spent her entire life never knowing what happened to her mother. She did not know if her mother abandoned her as an infant, went missing from Atlanta or had possibly been murdered around 1972 or 1973.

"Her father, uncle and brother never knew what really happened when her mother disappeared in the early 1970s."

Again a case of a racially ambigous skull, she was not AA.

Rest in peace, gorgeous Marlene! I hope they find the pig that did that
Hopefully so, but as it’s been around 48 years since she disappeared (and was probably murdered), I don’t think the odds of the killer being found, even alive, are in our favor. :(

After 39 Years, Gwinnett Jane Doe (1982) is Identified
''In 1982 human remains were found in the woods off Deshong Drive, in unincorporated Stone Mountain. A female skull was collected along with some physical evidence at the scene. At the time, it was believed the remains had been out there for 6-10 years. Detectives were not able to identify the victim.

In March 2021, after exhausting all available leads, Detective Dorminy in the Gwinnett Homicide Unit shipped the unidentified victim’s skull to Othram to have them generate a DNA profile. Othram used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive genealogy profile from the aged and degraded skeletal remains of the unidentified victim. The Othram genealogy team then returned investigative leads back to Detective Dorminy, which enabled him to connect the unidentified victim to a candidate daughter, Janis Adams. Detective Dorminy contacted Janis Adams who identified her mother as Marlene Standridge. On August 25, 2021 Janis Adams, her friend Jody Mallonee, her cousin Chamberlain Standridge, and her uncle Stanley Standridge (Marlene’s brother) came to Gwinnett Police Headquarters to speak with Detective Dorminy. At that meeting, a DNA sample was obtained from Janis Adams to confirm the DNA results were a match.

In September, Othram used KinSNP rapid familial testing to confirm that Janis Adams was in fact, a parent-child relationship match to Marlene Standridge. Decades after the inital discovery of the remains, Gwinnett Homicide Detectives continue to look for innovative technologies and new information to assist them in cases to help bring closure to victim’s families who have spent decades not knowing what happened to their loved ones. Othram was honored to assist in the investigation and is grateful to be able to help return answers to the family.

If anyone has any information to share in this case, or knew Marlene Standridge please contact GCPD detectives at 770-513-5300. To remain anonymous, tipsters should contact Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS (8477) or visit www.stopcrimeATL.com. Crime Stoppers tipsters can receive a cash reward for information leading to an arrest and indictment in this case.''

From the link Victoria posted. Awful. Given what we now know, I wonder if the connection would have been made sooner if not for the race discrepancy. Guess we will never know.

“…identified as Marlene Standridge who disappeared in the early 1970s. She was last seen alive with her two children in Piedmont Park before disappearing without a trace. Her daughter Janis Adams, who was 3 at the time, was found abandoned at the park along with her 6-year-old brother.
[…]
The detective told her Standridge was likely murdered and may have tried to hide her and her brother at the time in order to save them.
[…]
Police believe the murderer was likely James Willie Brown who was executed in 2004 for the gruesome murder of Brenda Sue Watson in 1975. Claiming mental illness, he would be tried twice for the crime after winning an appeal on the first conviction that he wasn’t first deemed fit to stand trial. He was subsequently deemed fit and convicted again in 1991.”

The race discrepancy obviously didn't help. <modsnip: not victim friendly>

Marlene Standridge murder cold case solved with DNA testing | 11alive.com

"Adams said she learned that her father never filed a missing person report. So, when police found the remains, years after her mother's disappearance, there was no way for detectives to cross-check the discovery with files of missing people.

Why didn’t her father file a missing person report?

“That is the million dollar question,” Adams said. “Why wasn’t anyone wondering, 'okay - where is this mother at?' I asked him, and he just said, ‘honestly, I thought she’d left with someone else. So why am I going to bother looking for her?’ And I’m just, like, ‘that is not a good answer. You had two children, did you never wonder for once that we would want to know, one day, what happened to her?’ Whenever we would ask him the question, he would just kind of shut down.”

Adams said she kept trying to talk with her father about her mother, right up until his death a couple of years ago."

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like they have a logical suspect in the deceased James Willie Brown. The murder victim he admitted to was also found in the woods in a remote area. She had been tied up with a nylon cord. Similar found near Marlene's remains.

This guy had a lifelong history of mental problems. In fact, it looks like he was an outpatient at the Georgia state mental hospital at the time of Marlene's murder, which was apparently late 1973:

"In December 1972, Mr Brown was again readmitted to Central State where he remained until January 1974, though part of this stay appears to have been on an outpatient basis."

James Willie Brown #879

The race discrepancy obviously didn't help. <modsnip: not victim friendly>

Marlene Standridge murder cold case solved with DNA testing | 11alive.com

"Adams said she learned that her father never filed a missing person report. So, when police found the remains, years after her mother's disappearance, there was no way for detectives to cross-check the discovery with files of missing people.

Why didn’t her father file a missing person report?

“That is the million dollar question,” Adams said. “Why wasn’t anyone wondering, 'okay - where is this mother at?' I asked him, and he just said, ‘honestly, I thought she’d left with someone else. So why am I going to bother looking for her?’ And I’m just, like, ‘that is not a good answer. You had two children, did you never wonder for once that we would want to know, one day, what happened to her?’ Whenever we would ask him the question, he would just kind of shut down.”

Adams said she kept trying to talk with her father about her mother, right up until his death a couple of years ago."

JMO his behavior seems suspicious. I would trust the daughter's judgement. I wonder if there are any friends or relatives of the dad still around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very curious about James Willie Brown being a suspect and why her husband isn't also considered a suspect as well. I agree with @Betty P, the husband's words and actions as recollected by the daughter is very suspicious IMO. Also JWB's other victim they met at a nightclub and were seemingly on a date (dinner, dancing, and drinks). But Marlene was last seen in a park with her two children which isn't consistent to the lather at all. I wonder why LE believes he is the likely killer.

Another question would be if it was the husband then why were his children left at the park? Did he have custody of them after she disappeared? It is very strange he wasn't searching for her even for his children's sake. Even if they were estranged it makes no sense.

I am very curious about James Willie Brown being a suspect and why her husband isn't also considered a suspect as well. I agree with @Betty P, the husband's words and actions as recollected by the daughter is very suspicious IMO. Also JWB's other victim they met at a nightclub and were seemingly on a date (dinner, dancing, and drinks). But Marlene was last seen in a park with her two children which isn't consistent to the lather at all. I wonder why LE believes he is the likely killer.

Another question would be if it was the husband then why were his children left at the park? Did he have custody of them after she disappeared? It is very strange he wasn't searching for her even for his children's sake. Even if they were estranged it makes no sense.
I agree with you. The dad seems suspect. Also would t the 6 year old remember something as he was a little older. Did he see dad at the park at anytime or remember and arguments beforehand?

It looks like they made the connection to the serial killer because of the nylon cord the victims were tied up with. A nylon cord was found near Marlene.

I agree, though, that the husband may be a more likely suspect.

Marlene Standridge disappeared in the early 1970's, leaving her family no idea where she had gone or what had happened to her. In 1982, human remains were discovered in the woods in unincorporated Stone Mountain, Georgia. Authorities believed the remains had been in the woods for 6-10 years, but were unable to identify who the victim was.

In March 2021, after exhausting all available leads, Detective Dorminy in the Gwinnett Homicide Unit shipped the unidentified victim’s skull to Othram to have them generate a DNA profile. Othram used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive genealogy profile from the aged and degraded skeletal remains of the unidentified victim.

The Othram genealogy team then returned investigative leads back to Detective Dorminy, which enabled him to connect the unidentified victim to a candidate daughter, Janis Adams. Detective Dorminy contacted Janis Adams who identified her mother as Marlene Standridge.

On August 25, 2021 Janis Adams, her friend Jody Mallonee, her cousin Chamberlain Standridge, and her uncle Stanley Standridge (Marlene’s brother) came to Gwinnett Police Headquarters to speak with Detective Dorminy. At that meeting, a DNA sample was obtained from Janis Adams to confirm the DNA results were a match.

In September, Othram used KinSNP rapid familial testing to confirm that Janis Adams was in fact, a parent-child relationship match to Marlene Standridge. Decades after the inital discovery of the remains, Gwinnett Homicide Detectives continue to look for innovative technologies and new information to assist them in cases to help bring closure to victim’s families who have spent decades not knowing what happened to their loved ones.

Othram was honored to assist in the investigation and is grateful to be able to help return answers to the family.

If anyone has any information to share in this case, or knew Marlene Standridge please contact GCPD detectives at 770-513-5300. To remain anonymous, tipsters should contact Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS (8477) or visit www.stopcrimeATL.com. Crime Stoppers tipsters can receive a cash reward for information leading to an arrest and indictment in this case.

Last edited:

I know this is a really late response but James Willie Brown had a history of kidnapping and raping women. He also, as with Watson, would arrive in a club with a roll of money that he would spend freely to attract women.

After his arrest and his face started appearing on television, police started receiving loads of calls from women claiming Brown raped them. In an article I have, the police spokesman estimated near 40 calls.

I just wrote a thorough accounting of James Willie Brown that was partly inspired by your question regarding him being a suspect.

I already had the research done... but I really enjoyed writing the post on Brown and I thank you for helping inspire me to do it.

Thread 'James Willie Brown - Probable Serial Killer From Lilburn, Georgia, Gwinnett County' James Willie Brown - Probable Serial Killer From Lilburn, Georgia, Gwinnett County

Case added to Namus today. Case is not on Doe Network.
www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/77802/details

Case Numbers ME/C Case Number82-25926
Demographics
Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity Black / African American
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 30
Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found December 9, 1982
NamUs Case Created February 9, 2021
Location Found Map
Location Stone Mountain, Georgia
County Gwinnett County
Found On Tribal Land No
Circumstances of Recovery A construction worker found a human skull in the woods. Police officers were summoned to the scene and upon searching a few additional skeletal remains and some clothing were found.
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Clothing and Accessories
Clothing - 2-Shoes, 1-blue/green argyle sock, 1-maroon/grey striped blouse - Near the Body
Thumbnail
I just realized that the map location in your post is inaccurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122-231903-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20240122-231903-01.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members