GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The authorities identified the dead students as two 14-year-olds, Mason Schermerhorn and Christian Angulo. The educators killed were identified as Richard Aspinwall and Christina Irimie, officials said.
Mason Schermerhorn was described by friends of his family as a lighthearted teenager who liked spending time with his family, reading, telling jokes, playing video games and visiting Walt Disney World. He had recently started at the school.

“He really enjoyed life,” said Doug Kilburn, 40, a friend who has known Schermerhorn’s mother for a decade. “He always had an upbeat attitude about everything.”

Rest in gentle peace, Mason, Christian, Richard, and Christina !
My utmost condolences to their loved ones.

It's nice to read a bit more about the victims.

Some pics of the victims at the CNN link.

Also from above link :

The online threats included photographs of guns, the statement said.
“The father stated he had hunting guns in the house, but the subject did not have
unsupervised access to them,” the statement said. “The subject denied making the threats online.”

The FBI said there was no probable cause for an arrest at the time.
Rbm.

Maybe not, however a thorough search of the teen's electronics ?
Or something ?
It's infuriating that this may have been a missed opportunity.
It was obviously not enough to restrict access to the weapons.
Imo.
Omo.
I don’t understand this. If the traced the IP address to this household, why not arrest for making the threat. This sounds nonchalant but in my area there are several threats each year and they trace and find and prosecute the perpetrator. At least that is what the school tells us. And I feel most of these are really dumb kids and benign threats. But sometimes it’s not benign.

You make a threat online, that deserves charges!

An article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC) is behind a paywall so I can't quote directly. But one thing that an interviewed student mentioned is so many students were looking for their siblings. I always think of parents frantically looking for their children in these situations but I hadn't really thought much about sibligs being at the same school. It just adds yet another layer to the heartbreaking pieces of mass shootings.

Imo.

I highly doubt the school had any knowledge of CG's history.
It seems that the FBI did their duty, turfed it to the locals and shut the door. The information was siloed/ compartmentalized. The juvenile laws and protections are so secret it might have been considered illegal to share the info with the school. What a quagmire. We have reported suspicions that end up to be valid, and yet nothing is done.

Makes me wonder how many others are "on the list". To be watched by 'someone else..not me' .

I fear you're correct.

Adults can't seem to lock-up their guns which leads to murders of innocent lives... privacy laws be damned.

jmo

An article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC) is behind a paywall so I can't quote directly. But one thing that an interviewed student mentioned is so many students were looking for their siblings. I always think of parents frantically looking for their children in these situations but I hadn't really thought much about sibligs being at the same school. It just adds yet another layer to the heartbreaking pieces of mass shootings.

The day my school had a for-real lockdown, not just a drill, the class I had at the time had many students (8th grade) who were in anguish about their siblings in 6th and 7th grades.

A lot of “My little brother's class is in the library now, I have to see if he’s okay!” Etcetera.

Of course I couldn’t let them leave. Had they been in possession of their cell phones (confiscated by us every morning at homeroom period) they would have tried to call their siblings even before their parents. They knew their parents weren’t in danger but their younger siblings might be.

If they’d been able to contact their siblings, or a few had cousins there, it would have been dangerous. Those phones would’ve rung at a time when absolute silence was imperative for their relatives’ safety.

My own phone started ringing because somehow it was on the local news and my adult daughter started calling me, crying. The kids were shushing me for a change and of course I told my daughter that I couldn’t talk.

Last edited:
I don’t understand this. If the traced the IP address to this household, why not arrest for making the threat. This sounds nonchalant but in my area there are several threats each year and they trace and find and prosecute the perpetrator. At least that is what the school tells us. And I feel most of these are really dumb kids and benign threats. But sometimes it’s not benign.

You make a threat online, that deserves charges!

From the WSBTV article, "Evidence shared with deputies showed a variety of IP addresses associated with the Discord account, ranging from different parts of Georgia and locations in New York and Virginia." Either this account was being used by multiple individuals or it was being used by someone spoofing IP addresses.

The only remedy is after the fact - charging and trying the "responsible" adults who allowed easy access to guns.
Bbm.

I have zero problems with that.
If a minor in your household chooses to commit a violent act with your weapon (or in Ethan Crumbley's case-- purchased for him ?), or one you bought for him/her, you should face charges as well.
Omo.

I'd hate to see a case where the FBI and system didn't work in Smith's opinion. I understand what he's getting at, that when CG came on their radar, there was nothing to prove he would become a mass shooter. I also have to wonder if the FBI making it clear they took CG seriously at such a young age had any effect on CG deciding to carry out his plans.
He can have results or excuses, not both.

From the WSBTV article, "Evidence shared with deputies showed a variety of IP addresses associated with the Discord account, ranging from different parts of Georgia and locations in New York and Virginia." Either this account was being used by multiple individuals or it was being used by someone spoofing IP addresses.
Is that the nature OF Discord? Layers of anonymity? I'm not familiar with it at all, except where it comes up on these threads. Seems like that's the draw -- that it's somehow user protected.

All the dots seem to point to him. The content, the timing. Eerie.

JMO

Is that the nature OF Discord? Layers of anonymity? I'm not familiar with it at all, except where it comes up on these threads. Seems like that's the draw -- that it's somehow user protected.

JMO
Discord is just a chat platform, not dissimilar from Websleuths. I don’t think it really has any anonymity functions aside from just not using your real name. If IP addresses are bouncing around, it’s because of something the user/users are doing, not Discord itself.

JMO

1725559499617.jpeg
The Georgia high school shooter (pictured here in his 2022 yearbook photo) who killed four and injured nine others in a rampage yesterday can be pictured here for the first time
Investigators are said to have found clues he was 'obsessed' with the 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida , which left 17 people dead

JMO
I agree that the dots all point to him. As far as Discord goes, it isn't the most anonymous platform out there, but people like it because you can join servers that are invite-only with multiple chat options and private messaging. For people wanting to create an online community, it's one of the most user-friendly options out there. I'd be interested in what servers the account was active on.

The reality is, even if a student/child or adult for that matter, even if they get intensive inpatient treatment, that doesn't guarantee a thing. I've seen students in and out of inpatient treatment, various facilities, counseling, medications, ad infinitum and they can just as easily commit an act of violence...even after all attempts at restorative mental health have made.

The best remedy here, in my opinion, is in providing for a secure building, it lies in preventing the weapon from entering the building.

An AR-15.... this style rifle comes apart pretty easy. There's a rear part that, for lack of getting all detailed, the rear stock with the trigger can easily separate from the front barrel portion of the rifle, making it easy to conceal in a bookbag, knapsack, luggage, and even a briefcase if it's the right size.

Look 'em up online, search ar15 upper, and ar15 lower, and you'll easily discover the two main components and see pictures of how they come apart.

The suspected shooter was a brand new student, and yesterday was his first "real day" of class, Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith said.

“He was a brand new student to Barrow County Schools, he had enrolled about two weeks prior. This was his second day at school. He had been before, he left early, on that day and this was his first real full day,” Smith said referring to the shooting yesterday. Aug. 1 was the first day of school for the district.

Prior, the suspect had been at a local middle school, Smith said. According to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office incident report from 2023, Colt Gray had previously attended Jefferson Middle School and prior to that West Jackson Middle School…

When asked if the shooting was preventable, Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith said it's hard to say.

The 14-year-old suspect had been investigated following an FBI tip regarding a potential threat to shoot up a middle school last year.

“I feel confident that the FBI, the system worked,” Smith said Thursday.

“They notified local authorities, local authorities went to the house, interviewed him, interviewed his father, they did a report, they did what they were supposed to do, and found that there was no probable cause,” he continued. “Regardless of the situation, all of us have civil rights. He didn’t commit a crime. ... It was unfounded at the time, and so can anything be preventable? I don’t know. It’s hard to say.”
Wow this seems to go against what the student told the news about him missing a lot of school and she just thought he was skipping class.. well unless she also went to middle school with him maybe?? If it's his first or second day, then I don't see the motive being something to do with the school or the people there.. because he hadn't been there long enough to have an issue. I wonder why he didn't start school back in August when this school began for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel