GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 14-year-old arrested after a mass killing at Georgia’s Apalachee High School had been “begging for months” for mental health help before he allegedly carried out a deadly attack Wednesday, according to an aunt of the shooting suspect.

He “was begging for help from everybody around him,” Annie Brown, the aunt, told The Washington Post. “The adults around him failed him.”
Is it bad that i feel some level of sympathy for him?

“I’m going to be mad as hell if he did” make threats about a school shooting, said the father, Colin Gray, according to a transcript of the May 2023 interview obtained by The New York Times. “Then all the guns will go away,” he added.

Records from an eviction the previous year show that Mr. Gray owned several weapons, including an AR-15, the type of firearm that officials say was used in the shooting on Wednesday morning at Apalachee High School in Winder, Ga.

Thank you for this insight. Very revealing.

I have an acquaintance whose son was a troubled kid and I saw her family go through hell trying to get services for him. They were an educated, employed, rather well-off family...and were devastated emotionally and financially in efforts to get the kid help. There is NOT ENOUGH HELP.

Not saying that is the case here as the family didn't even remove guns after the FBI came knocking. I don't know if they sought help or not, but they sure didn't take responsibility of safety and I expect charges to be made. The parents put the community at risk and they knew it and apparently didn't care.

jmo
For sure. I know a well off family who wound up doing one of those things where the program comes in the middle of the night and takes the kid. It was an insanely expensive place that was supposedly really nice. Idk what happened. But once you’re at level it’s like what the heck else do you do?

“I would be curious to know what type of security measures are in place, meaning when the child was dropped off or got off the school bus. Meaning -- when he was making an entrance into the school yesterday did he go through an x-ray? Does he go through a magnetometer? Is there any sort of screening process?” questioned Kaplan.

Kaplan says if it’s determined the weapon that was used belonged to the parents, they too might be facing charges in connection with the shooting

”Metal detectors should be a thing,” Palesotti said.

”I think metal detectors should be even though it’s going to be a cost added to the school. It’s going to be very useful for detecting what’s in their bags,” parent Romeo Roman said.

Another parent told us the increased security should start with the teachers checking kids’ backpacks every day.

In a police report obtained by Newsweek, Colin Gray told officials that his family was evicted from their prior address in Jefferson, Georgia. He and his wife were divorced, and she took the two younger kids while he and Colt moved together.

Ed Hooper, spokesperson for the Jackson County School System, confirmed to Newsweek that Colt Gray completed sixth grade at West Jackson Middle School and started seventh grade on July 29, 2022. He was unenrolled on August 19, 2022.

I highly doubt the school had any knowledge of CG's history.
It seems that the FBI did their duty, turfed it to the locals and shut the door. The information was siloed/ compartmentalized. The juvenile laws and protections are so secret it might have been considered illegal to share the info with the school. What a quagmire. We have reported suspicions that end up to be valid, and yet nothing is done.

Makes me wonder how many others are "on the list". To be watched by 'someone else..not me' .

I used to work in the UK school system primarily with PRU children (kids who have been excluded from mainstream school). Quite a few of these were due to violence - severe threats, bringing knives into school etc

We had a legal duty to pass on any safeguarding or behavioural issues to the next school - I’m amazed that this isn’t the case in the US system.

From afar this case looks like it was preventable as he should’ve already been on peoples radar - he should’ve been being searched each day prior to entering the building and his parents should have had a legal duty to check his bag each morning prior to school.

The father of Apalachee High School mass shooting suspect Colt Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023, according to two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

CNN has made several attempts to reach Colin Gray by phone and in person at the family home. It is unclear if he has an attorney.

The father of Apalachee High School mass shooting suspect Colt Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023, according to two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

CNN has made several attempts to reach Colin Gray by phone and in person at the family home. It is unclear if he has an attorney.

Can't say I'm all that surprised, considering what we know about that family. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if that thing was never locked up, and this kid kept it in his room.

Last edited:
After your child makes a mass murder threat, you buy him a gun?
It is unclear if he has an attorney.
He should probably get one

Yet another parent giving a gun to a troubled kid.

I'm honestly surprised the father hasn't been charged yet.

jmo

In Kentucky, a student had a "kill list" but still allowed back in Conner High. Of note, his records are (of course) sealed so I'm unsure of what treatment he might have received before being allowed in the same school.

The worried parents spoke out last week after they learned that the Boone County Board of Education had allowed the 14-year-old to return to school despite having been charged with second-degree terroristic threats.

The father of Apalachee High School mass shooting suspect Colt Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023,
BBM
RSBM for focus

HOLIDAY PRESENT?? Seems the father needs help in appropriate parenting too. Give a 14 yo with mental health problems a gun?!? Enabling homicide or suicide, imho.

MOO JMO

Is it possible that the father believed Colts story about his discord getting hacked?

Im sure there were other problem behaviors at home that should've told dad this was a bad idea

Yet another parent giving a gun to a troubled kid.

I'm honestly surprised the father hasn't been charged yet.

jmo
Wonder if charging the accused juvenile shooter as an adult has any potential impact on whether the father might also be charged?

And I am not advocating or suggesting that the accused juvenile shooter should not be charged as an adult. Or that the father should not also be charged if allowed or applicable. Just a question as denoted above. IANAL. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18