GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know why only 2 counts of 2nd degree murder right now?

This article answers that question.

In Georgia, second-degree murder means that a person has caused the death of another person while committing second-degree cruelty to children, regardless of intent. It is punishable by 10 to 30 years in prison, while malice murder and felony murder carry a minimum sentence of life.

This article answers that question.

In Georgia, second-degree murder means that a person has caused the death of another person while committing second-degree cruelty to children, regardless of intent. It is punishable by 10 to 30 years in prison, while malice murder and felony murder carry a minimum sentence of life.
That really explains it better thank you

That Michigan shooter was charged as an adult and it didn't affect the ability to also charge his parents. My question is more about the law in Georgia, and if it allows for the father to be charged in the first place.
Has/will Fani Willis made a statement?

AG Nessel Issues Statement on New Charges in Oxford ...​

State of Michigan (.gov)
https://www.michigan.gov › press-releases › 2021/12/03

Dec 3, 2021 — LANSING - Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel ... "I fully support Prosecutor McDonald's issuance of charges against Jennifer and James Crumbley .

"Colin Gray, age 54, has been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children."

My question is why only two counts of second degree murder?
Also what was the reasoning behind the eight counts of cruelty to children?

At the press conference, the officials also expressed that these are just the start of charges and more charges may still come

JMO

For 2nd degree murder? I'm seeing 10 to 30 years per count as possible sentence.
For now, I'll wait and see what the second degree murder charge. He's already been charged with involuntary manslaughter for the 4 deaths. His son killed 4 people. Not sure where they're coming up two of them getting a second degree murder charge. It's Georgia, though, so who knows.

JMO, it's for PR purposes.

For now, I'll wait and see what the second degree murder charge. He's already been charged with involuntary manslaughter for the 4 deaths. His son killed 4 people. Not sure where they're coming up two of them getting a second degree murder charge. It's Georgia, though, so who knows.

This post explains why. I believe the 2 second degree charges will stick:

Post in thread 'GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.'
GA-Winder-Massive police presence at Apalachee High School.

Last edited:

I wonder if perhaps the Discord threat (or other threatening statements the shooter made to his father) were specifically directed toward any of the individuals murdered yesterday. I know the shooter is said to be new to this school, but he may have known some of the students if he attended middle school with them. OR perhaps the shooter's father knew he harbored violent thoughts towards specific groups that some of these folks might've fit into (for example, "math teachers"--which both adult victims were--or people of color, which both of the teen students appear to have been). I don't know if that would necessarily make a difference in how those two murders would be charged, though.

Why would she? She's Fulton County DA, right? This case is not in Fulton County. How would she have jurisdiction?
Barrow is not even close to Fulton, so there's no need for her to make a statement. Agree with you, why would she? IMO.

"Colin Gray, age 54, has been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second degree murder and eight counts of cruelty to children."

My question is why only two counts of second degree murder?
Also what was the reasoning behind the eight counts of cruelty to children?

At the press conference, the officials also expressed that these are just the start of charges and more charges may still come

JMO

2 counts of second degree murder for the two children that were killed (automatic second degree murder when it involves cruelty to children).
4 counts of involuntary manslaughter for all four deaths (can include lesser charges).
8 counts of cruelty to children for the two children killed and presumably six of the seven children that were injured (only thing I can think of here is that the seventh was injured in the chaos and not directly by the shooter, so they aren’t confident charging that one).

Question: with new precedent and ostensibly no statute of limitations on murder, might we see a cascade of retroactive charges against parents in otherwise resolved, past school shootings?

Is this how the tide changes once and for all? Whoever provides the grenade...

JMO

I wonder if perhaps the Discord threat (or other threatening statements the shooter made to his father) were specifically directed toward any of the individuals murdered yesterday. I know the shooter is said to be new to this school, but he may have known some of the students if he attended middle school with them. OR perhaps the shooter's father knew he harbored violent thoughts towards specific groups that some of these folks might've fit into (for example, "math teachers"--which both adult victims were--or people of color, which both of the teen students appear to have been). I don't know if that would necessarily make a difference in how those two murders would be charged, though.
This was a brand new school for him, wasn't it? Yesterday was his second day from what has been reported, so he wouldn't have known anyone back when the Discord stuff was being investigated. IMO.

This is a gift link to the Live Updates page about this school shooting from The New York Times (I am a subscriber). I am sharing this here because I was gobsmacked reading the part that details the interview with the young man and his father regarding the Discord account. I am quoting it here since I have gifted (paid for) this article to be accessible to others. Father of Georgia School Shooting Suspect Arrested and Charged: Live Updates

"The investigator was looking into tips about a post made in a chat group on Discord, a social media site, about a potential school shooting. The post, which had been reported to the F.B.I., was linked by investigators to the account associated with Mr. Gray’s son.

Mr. Gray said in a follow-up phone call with an investigator that he didn’t know much about Discord, and that he had asked his son to “dumb this down for me.” His son had told him about people called “raiders” who could break into other people’s Discord accounts, he said. “They can make it … basically say whatever they want to about you,” Mr. Gray said his son had explained.

The son told the investigator that he had not used Discord in months and was only on TikTok to watch videos. The investigator ended one interview by telling the teenager, who had just finished seventh grade, to focus on getting good grades. “It’ll set you up for the rest of your life,” he said.

In a follow-up phone call with Mr. Gray, an investigator told him he wasn’t sure they would be able to get to the bottom of who had made the post on Discord. He assured the father he didn’t think his son was being dishonest, and encouraged him to make sure his son’s identity had not been stolen. Mr. Gray said his son was eager for the situation to be resolved. “He wants to know what happened,” he told the investigator."

Last edited:
Is it possible that the father believed Colts story about his discord getting hacked?

Im sure there were other problem behaviors at home that should've told dad this was a bad idea
Yes, see my post with link to NYT article about how the father more or less admitted he knew nothing about Discord and therefore his son was able (IMO) to completely "snow" him with some tale of how "raiders" could easily hack one's Discord account and make all kinds of outrageous claims!

Question: with new precedent and ostensibly no statute of limitations on murder, might we see a cascade of retroactive charges against parents in otherwise resolved, past school shootings?

Is this how the tide changes once and for all? Whoever provides the grenade...

JMO

Not unless there are federal charges they can bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18