Gas Cans discovered by George Key date - June 24, 2008 ***REVISITED ***

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

George's story about the 24th and the gas cans

• He did find them in Casey's car, and nothing was wrong.

Votes: 39 9.1%
  • He did not go into the truck, and made it up to help Casey..

Votes: 68 15.9%
  • He made it up to protect Casey and himself.

Votes: 98 23.0%
  • I have no idea. This family cannot keep dates and stories straight.

Votes: 222 52.0%

• Total voters
After KC leaves the house, there is a flurry of calls between Cindy and KC.

I bleieve George did catch whiff of something, asked KC (gas cans were not part of the conversation) about it, and she took off.

George calls Cindy, No Caylee, bad smell and KC took off.
KC now knows she has to start 'splaining the odor - hence the texts about dead squirrels in the following day(s).

KC first thinks adding 'trash bags' will explain the smell, realises that it probably won't and starts looking for somewhere to dump (abandon) the car.

You may have a point, the garage door was closed with his car inside. He had just come home at 2:00 and had to leave soon, his job started at 3:00. I don't think I would be closing the garage door if I was going to be in and out like that...maybe he was waiting for Casey.

He didn't get home from BofA until 2-30pm.

Ga and CA were starting to get a 'feeling' that something was up.
After the confrontation over the smell (not gas cans) and 'where's Caylee'? They both went into overdrive. This is the time when the red flags were raised.

CA started looking through the computer, GA drove after her, Lee was sent to clubs to find her. The phone calls become more frequent, later, and more often ignored from this point.

We know something about the gas cans are true...there is a police report. I think GA wanted to catch Casey in the first two weeks and knew something was very wrong with Caylee. I get the impression that Cindy was thwarting all his efforts and attempting to keep him from getting kc..so he filed a report to sting her. After the gas can incident, Cindy had no reason to believe kc was in Tampa, yet she spoke with such conviction. I don't know who the bigger liar is....Cindy or KC? George continues to flip-flop...good guy...bad guy.

Take note of the calls casey made to her mommy after the incident....she was fuming...most likely yelling, "Why didn't you tell me he was there?"

I don't know what it is but there is something "Wrong" with this entire Gas Can story.

George filed a police report the morning of June 24th & claimed that sometime over the weekend his shed was broken into & 2 Gas cans were stolen.

In his interview with LE George stated that..... "Casey had stolen gas in the past"

He also told police about the "Alleged" gas can encounter with Casey on the afternoon of the 24th ...& claimed that he was ....."Right up to the rear Bumper" & "I did not smell anything"

George & Cindy both seemed nervous & evasive when Great Van S. asked them about the Gas Cans during an Interview back in July.

The Gas can incident also supports Casey's claim that the car frequently ran out of gas & that it was 'Not" abandoned at Amscott

Also, if George is to be believed....There was no odor in Casey's car as of June 24th

I don't think George is to be believed ..
Ever ..
He's a proven liar ..
We all heard/saw the deposition ..

Search for Truth, whisperer, and NSS, I really think you all are on to the real deal here with the gas cans...its about the only thing that makes sense about this incident. I am off to do some gruesome sleuthing about decomp and smells to see if I can contribute here.

For what it's worth, when I first heard GA's gas can story I heard the following -

KC showed up at the house and said, Hi dad I can't stay - just had to get some clothes (never mind you haven't seen me for nine days). Caylee's fine, I'm fine, later... GA is like "okie dokie" but, by the way, ...

... I'm running out to the car to get the tire thingy (CAism) because I want to rotate CA's tires this weekend. KC reacted strangely as if she needed to race him to the trunk in order to ward off GA from opening the trunk. KC opened the trunk and thrusted the cans at him saying "Here's your gas cans." Don't recall if GA said he got the tire thingy.

GA's story changed shortly thereafter upon CA holding him at gunpoint and telling him, if you ever tell the truth about anything I swear I will kick you out of my house. CA did not want GA to implicate that KC may have been hiding something in the trunk. :eek: CA briefed GA on the new version of the story and assured him she would cover down during interviews. GA placed his tail between his legs and began to contemplate how he might kill himself.

To top it off, GA was surprised that KC had the cans. Oh, he exclaimed, theres my gas cans! Carp, I just reported to the police that they were missing this morning. It was you who had them all along - my own daughter -I never could have imagined! By the way, have you seen Caylee? :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, when I first heard GA's gas can story I heard the following -

KC showed up at the house and said, Hi dad I can't stay - just had to get some clothes (never mind you haven't seen me for nine days). Caylee's fine, I'm fine, later... GA is like "okie dokie" but, by the way, ...

... I'm running out to the car to get the tire thingy (CAism) because I want to rotate CA's tires this weekend. KC reacted strangely as if she needed to race him to the trunk in order to ward off GA from opening the trunk. KC opened the trunk and thrusted the cans at him saying "Here's your gas cans." Don't recall if GA said he got the tire thingy.

GA's story changed shortly thereafter upon CA holding him at gunpoint and telling him, if you ever tell the truth about anything I swear I will kick you out of my house. CA did not want GA to implicate that KC may have been hiding something in the trunk. :eek: CA briefed GA on the new version of the story and assured him she would cover down during interviews. GA placed his tail between his legs and began to contemplate how he might kill himself.

To top it off, GA was surprised that KC had the cans. Oh, he exclaimed, theres my gas cans! Carp, I just reported to the police that they were missing this morning. It was you who had them all along - my own daughter -I never could have imagined! By the way, have you seen Caylee? :rolleyes:
I agree that George's story, about the gas cans, changes over a period of time, short period. July 31st, he sees inside the trunk (clothes, collapsible bin) and on August 4th (w/ the FBI) he doesn't see anything. Only a few days there, but something happened. ITA, Cindy was most likely that something.

Also in the mix, during this period of time, Casey is telling Cindy she is in Tampa. On the 24th, George sees Casey at the house... so he and Cindy now know she was not in Tampa. It could have been that plus George smelling an odor added to the fact that they hadn't seen Caylee. At any rate, their statements about having no reason to worry prior to July 15th, are hogwash.

I wonder if GA had the courtesy to call LE and let them know that the cans were back in his possesion and they could cancel his earlier report?

Wasn't Casey's text, about the bad smell in the car, sent to Amy on June 25th ? If so, that's only a day after the gas can incident w/ George. I am thinking he might have smelled the decomp, but didn't mention it then as Casey got in her car and took off quickly. I think George let the thoughts of the smell and Caylee not being around swirl around in his head and finally mentioned it to Cindy...when I don't know. The chase happened on June 29th, per E-Pass records. Maybe George had been thinking of the smell, Caylee, saw Casey driving a vehicle and wanted to find out what was going on...chasing your daughter down the highway at over 80 MPH are the actions of a desperate man, IMO. July 1 the phone calls from Cindy to Casey pick up in frequency, BIG TIME ! I don't know what they did for the next two weeks, maybe spent the majority of it trying to tell themselves that nothing was wrong and Casey just needed time away ? The chase, the phone calls say that they were very worried, what set that worry off ? I think it could have been the smell in the car...

By any chance---could the chase and the gas can thang have happened at the same time? After GA got the cans and smelled the car--she drove off and he chased her.

He wanted LE to know he had the opportunity to smell the car AND see into the trunk...no "pizza" smell, no Caylee. I think that's all there is to it.

Either she left them in the garage or she did a preemptive strike..."here's your *advertiser censored**ing gas cans". The latter sounds more like Casey.

I don't think George said or did anything to get those cans back. That would have been Cindy's domain. I doubt he would ever confront Casey about anything, even in the roundabout, wimpy way he described.

A father who was not afraid to confront his daughter would simply open the trunk, remove the cans and take the car away from the lying, stealing, ungrateful kid!

ETA: I believe Cindy pressured George to file the police report. Cindy liked to stir the pot and then sit back to watch it boil over!

Bold mine.
Boy, you've got CA pegged perfectly! :blowkiss:

I wonder if GA had the courtesy to call LE and let them know that the cans were back in his possesion and they could cancel his earlier report?

It has always bothered me that GA filed a police report about the missing gas cans. He stated that his daughter had stolen gas before -- why would he have any reason to believe that it was anyone but her this time? IMO he knew exactly and with no doubt who had broken into the shed and took the cans. And the story where he tells CA something like "guess what happened today, someone broke the lock and stole gas" and CA replies "no way" is just hogwash. They both knew and for some reason a report was filed this time. Why?

The gas can event never happened IMO. It was created to try to mitigate the 'dead body smell' declarations. (remember the Anthony family felt they'd thrown KC under the bus with this statement and the subsequent dog alerts and air tests).

It was "supposed" to make us think that the dead body was placed in the car during the Amscot/Tow yard days.

GA works from 3pm until 11pm. (did he stay home this day?)
GA claims to have seen KC at 2.40pm and had the wedges/gas can 'chat'.
GA and CA met at the BofA to endorse and deposit a check at 2.30pm.

KC's cellphone pings 1.5 miles from home at 2.42pm
KC's cellphone pings nr Chickasaw trail at 2.59pm.
By 3.12pm she is at AL's apartment. (which is a 23 minute drive from the Anthony home suggesting she left Hopespring at approx 2.49pm)

So in less than 7 minutes, KC opens the garage door (doesn't leave when she sees GA's car?????? - BTW, I think this is EXACTLY what happened), meets up with George and has the 'gas can showdown'.

KC also added 4 photos to her PB account on this date, so she was at a computer somewhere. IF (I can't narrow it down) these pics were uploaded from the Anthony house, then the gas can incident didn't happen for definate. IF not, it is still too tight a timeframe

**Most details were pulled from the case calendar**
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2008-6-24&c=4

You very well may be right. The gas can story was just way too over the top. It smacked of "fabrication" from the moment George started repeating it in interviews. When the media got wind of the "theft" report he initially said something else didn't he? Why do I remmeber thinking he said something about it being a neighborhood kid (or was that the ladder incident?)? Anyway, one of his early responses was that he knew who took the cans. After all the talk about the smell, I believe he did embelish the truth to serve a purpose...protect his daughter.

The gas can event never happened IMO. It was created to try to mitigate the 'dead body smell' declarations. (remember the Anthony family felt they'd thrown KC under the bus with this statement and the subsequent dog alerts and air tests).

It was "supposed" to make us think that the dead body was placed in the car during the Amscot/Tow yard days.

GA works from 3pm until 11pm. (did he stay home this day?)
GA claims to have seen KC at 2.40pm and had the wedges/gas can 'chat'.
GA and CA met at the BofA to endorse and deposit a check at 2.30pm.

KC's cellphone pings 1.5 miles from home at 2.42pm
KC's cellphone pings nr Chickasaw trail at 2.59pm.
By 3.12pm she is at AL's apartment. (which is a 23 minute drive from the Anthony home suggesting she left Hopespring at approx 2.49pm)

So in less than 7 minutes, KC opens the garage door (doesn't leave when she sees GA's car?????? - BTW, I think this is EXACTLY what happened), meets up with George and has the 'gas can showdown'.

KC also added 4 photos to her PB account on this date, so she was at a computer somewhere. IF (I can't narrow it down) these pics were uploaded from the Anthony house, then the gas can incident didn't happen for definate. IF not, it is still too tight a timeframe

**Most details were pulled from the case calendar**
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2008-6-24&c=4

Awesome Sleuthing ...!! :clap:

I may be wrong but I've been under the assumption that Cindy had called Casey several times around the time of the ""Alleged"" Gas Can Encounter.

I thought there were 4 successive calls 1 minute in length & 1 minute apart

This would suggest that Cindy was calling Casey & she wasn't answering

Do you see these calls on Casey's cell records..?
( I could be mistaken...Which happens quite a bit these days)

I thought that if an "incident" did take place that afternoon, George may have called Cindy & told he.......

A) "Casey had the Gas Cans"

or

B) "There's a horrible Smell in the Car"

And the 4 successive calls were Cindy frantically calling Casey

Is there anyway you could either confirm or deny the existence of these calls?

I'm not very good at sorting through those Cell Records

By any chance---could the chase and the gas can thang have happened at the same time? After GA got the cans and smelled the car--she drove off and he chased her.

I was originally thinking along those lines as well..

George smells the Decomp, Casey drives away & quickly dumps the body..!

Afraid that maybe he would pull her over & force her to open the trunk..

If she got a good enough lead she could have sped to the end of the street, quickly dumped the body & got back into her car & sped away before George caught up......Maybe

I just don't know what to believe anymore..

I was originally thinking along those lines as well..

George smells the Decomp, Casey drives away & quickly dumps the body..!

Afraid that maybe he would pull her over & force her to open the trunk..

If she got a good enough lead she could have sped to the end of the street, quickly dumped the body & got back into her car & sped away before George caught up......Maybe

I just don't know what to believe anymore..
...add to that the fact that he now denies the chase happened in June and the entire incident becomes more suspicious IMO.

This is what I gathered too, he was suspicious when Casey mentioned the shed break in and made up the tire wedge story to look in her trunk.

I think he tipped his hand when he reported to LE that the thief placed the lock inside the shed door. IMO, he knew when he saw the lock who the thief was.
I'm very curious about George telling Cindy he needed to go back to the house for "something."

You very well may be right. The gas can story was just way too over the top. It smacked of "fabrication" from the moment George started repeating it in interviews. When the media got wind of the "theft" report he initially said something else didn't he? Why do I remmeber thinking he said something about it being a neighborhood kid (or was that the ladder incident?)? Anyway, one of his early responses was that he knew who took the cans. After all the talk about the smell, I believe he did embelish the truth to serve a purpose...protect his daughter.

When the media got wind of the "gas can" police report George told the media a "neighbor" borrowed the gas and that the gas cans were unrelated to Casey and Caylee's disappearance. His first response to media was NOT to call attention to the gas cans. Just the opposite.

The gas cans were actually reported "missing". A police report is on the record. Tony admits helping Casey take them on June 23 and using a tire iron to get into the shed. The gas cans were not in the car when the Pontiac was abandoned. Instead they were found at the Anthony's house. They got there at some point.

One of them has the same rare kind of duct tape on it that was found over Caylee's mouth. (see duct tape thread)

OTHER people stood close to the Pontiac and did not notice a smell. Tony was by it on June 23 and June 27. On June 23 Casey OPENED the trunk in front of Tony just as much as she did for George on June 24. Catherine S. said she was VERY close to the car and even looked in the car windows between June 27-30. If the car smelled as bad THEN as it did a MONTH later, Tony and Catherine S. would have noticed. Neither one of them did.

Fortunately, KC did and even considerately WROTE about the ripening evidence so LE would know when and where it developed.

Just a thought on the odor. I think the temperature and humidity would factor in, along with the car being used, as to the odor at any given time. When G & C picked up the car at the tow yard, it had been sitting, closed and unused for a period, no release for the odor. JMO. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back