General Discussion Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
but right now we have to suspend all that, remember what Mummy and Daddy said about "innocent until proven guilty", and know that regardless of the outcome he and his lot are going to be scarred and tarred for life.

Not sure I agree. The law must presume him innocent, until proven guilty. But I'll proceed according to the evidence as it comes in (as I am not his judge, not on his jury and will not be his executioner). At the very least, he's one of the most stupid people I've ever come across or the most venal. Not much in between. Certainly not a victim with what we know so far.

Of course, I feel free to modify my judgments, as the evidence comes in.

He should be toast, IMO. But I've seen celebrity justice meted out before. I'm going to assume he will find a way out of it. Cases that get a lot of exposure seem to unravel each and every time. And OP has a lot of supporters it seems, even after this horror story.

You seriously think that even if he gets acquitted of the premeditated murder charge, and even if the hyperparanoid S.A. background allows for a playing-down of the culpable homicide rap, that Oscar Pistorius can come out of this on the plus side, let alone smelling of anything except manure?

I don't buy that for a minute.

OJ ostensibly beat his charge, and look what happened to HIM. This guy hasn't got half the clout an OJ could bring to bear, and he's going to be a pariah, whatever happens.

And again, if he IS telling the truth, then he's mentally going to be in such a bad bad place, I wouldn't allow him to take out a life insurance policy with my company (were I an insurer).

There ISN'T "a way out of it". There's only a way to reduce his formal sentence.

IMO.

EDITED to add: Mind you, I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of "most stupid or most venal". The stupidity level is off the chart, or else he's such a clever bugger he's SCARY. :)

Not sure I agree. The law must presume him innocent, until proven guilty. But I'll proceed according to the evidence as it comes in (as I am not his judge, not on his jury and will not be his executioner). At the very least, he's one of the most stupid people I've ever come across or the most venal. Not much in between. Certainly not a victim with what we know so far.

Of course, I feel free to modify my judgments, as the evidence comes in.

Exactly. Either he's really guilty or he's really stupid. I hate to say it because he has done so much good throughout his life, but I believe the former.

You seriously think that even if he gets acquitted of the premeditated murder charge, and even if the hyperparanoid S.A. background allows for a playing-down of the culpable homicide rap, that Oscar Pistorius can come out of this on the plus side, let alone smelling of anything except manure?

I don't buy that for a minute.

OJ ostensibly beat his charge, and look what happened to HIM. This guy hasn't got half the clout an OJ could bring to bear, and he's going to be a pariah, whatever happens.

And again, if he IS telling the truth, then he's mentally going to be in such a bad bad place, I wouldn't allow him to take out a life insurance policy with my company (were I an insurer).

There ISN'T "a way out of it". There's only a way to reduce his formal sentence.

IMO.

EDITED to add: Mind you, I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of "most stupid or most venal". The stupidity level is off the chart, or else he's such a clever bugger he's SCARY. :)

I disagree. And I think he has MORE clout than OJ.

Sad to learn that there are those who think of OP as a victim. And state with certainty, at this early date, what will happen here.

There were those who said no way could OJ be found not guilty of murdering Nicole and Ron. Prosecution had forensics, DNA, etc. etc. on OJ. But a jury did declare him not guilty.

Guess what—there is a parallel with this case already, as I will show. Probably most or all OJ jurors thought he did it, but there was evidence that 1 or 2 detectives did some “extracurricular” things with some of the evidence. So that created a “reasonable doubt” that they were almost forced to find as they did.

And as far as OJ “not” getting away with anything—even though he lost his civil trial, he has been able to hide or divert his money, and so HE DID get off basically scot-free! Those are the facts.

His more recent conviction was based on another stupid thing he did, and is not relevant to the Nicole/Ron killings.

And the relevant thing to the OP case is that there already is the claim of contaminating the crime scene by Botha—who by the time of OP’s trial or sentencing may well be convicted of attempted murder himself!

So OP’s trial judge may either say he has no choice but to acquit, or else give him a very light sentence, instead of the life term I suspect the evidence will indicate he deserves.

So none of us can say with certainty what will or won’t happen. But if I had to wager I would bet that it will either be a very light sentence, most likely followed (as a probability) with acquittal, and ending with a small chance of a well-deserved life term.

And I agree with the previous poster, OP has more clout and deeper connections than OJ ever did.

But thinking of OP as a victim? Sad.

Exactly. Either he's really guilty or he's really stupid. I hate to say it because he has done so much good throughout his life, but I believe the former.

I think he is both guilty & stupid for thinking the public is stupid enough to believe an unbelievable story.

The bat was at the other end of the room/bed. So, it could have been there as back up, if you cannot get close enough to the gun to grab it. The gun holster was on the bed, gun was either in the holster or under the bed according to the Affidavit. I can't remember. In the holster would be easier access in my mind.

Also worth noting, it could just simply be where he kept it. There was an article early on that showed photos inside his house. Not my idea of decor, but very minimal, with everything in a perfect, tidy place. That could have just been it's place.

Who takes a cricket bat upstairs to a bedroom? If one has a gun why the need for a bat?

Did n't OP say he use to leave weapons laying all over his house.I think I remember him saying he left a machine gun on a window sill?

Sad to learn that there are those who think of OP as a victim. And state with certainty, at this early date, what will happen here.

There were those who said no way could OJ be found not guilty of murdering Nicole and Ron. Prosecution had forensics, DNA, etc. etc. on OJ. But a jury did declare him not guilty.

Guess what—there is a parallel with this case already, as I will show. Probably most or all OJ jurors thought he did it, but there was evidence that 1 or 2 detectives did some “extracurricular” things with some of the evidence. So that created a “reasonable doubt” that they were almost forced to find as they did.

And as far as OJ “not” getting away with anything—even though he lost his civil trial, he has been able to hide or divert his money, and so HE DID get off basically scot-free! Those are the facts.

His more recent conviction was based on another stupid thing he did, and is not relevant to the Nicole/Ron killings.

And the relevant thing to the OP case is that there already is the claim of contaminating the crime scene by Botha—who by the time of OP’s trial or sentencing may well be convicted of attempted murder himself!

snip

The OJ case is a hot button with me. I watched every minute of the trial here in Los Angeles on TV. Johnny Cochran made sure it was very racially charged. It was an exceedingly long trial, yet this jury refused to deliberate and gave their verdict within hours.

They were NEVER going to convict OJ. Never!!!

I am not going to elaborate further. :furious:

But here is Robert Shapiro's [from the OJ trial] opinion on Pistorius

-------

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...al-system-south-african-legal-system/1935873/

O.J. Simpson attorney: Pistorius murder case dissimilar

Robert Shapiro, who once represented O.J. Simpson in the notorious murder trial of the mid-1990s in Los Angeles, said the Oscar Pistorius murder case in South Africa is very different except that both "have superstar athletes that are accused of killing beautiful significant others."

In an interview with MSNBC on Thursday, Shapiro responded to assertions that Pistorius is South Africa's version of Simpson, with both cases rife with accusations of police bungling.

"I really don't think the detectives are really going to be much of an issue in this case," Shapiro said, adding that he doesn't think forensics will be a key issue, either. "Pistorius is going to testify; Simpson did not."

The Simpson case was a classic, 'Who was responsible for the murder case?' The Pistorius case is a case of, 'What is it?' " Shapiro said. Pistorius has "admitted to doing the shooting so the question is going to be, 'Was it a premeditated murder or was it a justifiable homicide?' "

I also don't understand how Botha could claim that there was nothing contradicting OP's story, while also claiming shots were fired with a downward angle. Doesn't that contradict OP's story that he fired these shots without prostetic legs on?

The KEY POINT is the height...How high were the bullet holes in the door

On his knees, OP could still reach his arms fairly high enough and point the gun in a downward postion/trajectory

But the key is the height of the bullet impacts on the door to validate a full standing position or a "kneeling" postion

The OJ case is a hot button with me. I watched every minute of the trial here in Los Angeles on TV. Johnny Cochran made sure it was very racially charged. It was an exceedingly long trial, yet this jury refused to deliberate and gave their verdict within hours.

They were NEVER going to convict OJ. Never!!!

I am not going to elaborate further. :furious:

But here is Robert Shapiro's [from the OJ trial] opinion on Pistorius

-------

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...al-system-south-african-legal-system/1935873/

O.J. Simpson attorney: Pistorius murder case dissimilar

Robert Shapiro, who once represented O.J. Simpson in the notorious murder trial of the mid-1990s in Los Angeles, said the Oscar Pistorius murder case in South Africa is very different except that both "have superstar athletes that are accused of killing beautiful significant others."

In an interview with MSNBC on Thursday, Shapiro responded to assertions that Pistorius is South Africa's version of Simpson, with both cases rife with accusations of police bungling.

"I really don't think the detectives are really going to be much of an issue in this case," Shapiro said, adding that he doesn't think forensics will be a key issue, either. "Pistorius is going to testify; Simpson did not."

The Simpson case was a classic, 'Who was responsible for the murder case?' The Pistorius case is a case of, 'What is it?' " Shapiro said. Pistorius has "admitted to doing the shooting so the question is going to be, 'Was it a premeditated murder or was it a justifiable homicide?' "

Well that Shapiro piece is from some 5 days ago. He is now 70.
But the main point is there has not even been a trial here. How can he say what will or won't happen or be presented? Like the rest of us he can guess--hopefully a more educated guess. But then again he is not likely to be knowledgable on the vagaries of SA justice system.
JMHO

Did n't OP say he use to leave weapons laying all over his house.I think I remember him saying he left a machine gun on a window sill?

Scary if true!
Do you have a link? This is a new one for me.

Well that Shapiro piece is from some 5 days ago. He is now 70.
But the main point is there has not even been a trial here. How can he say what will or won't happen or be presented? Like the rest of us he can guess--hopefully a more educated guess. But then again he is not likely to be knowledgable on the vagaries of SA justice system.
JMHO

With all due respect, I don't think Shapiro's age will be a factor here.

I wish the dynamics were just "the vagaries of SA justice system", yet I fear the politics, corruption and bribes of the SA justice system will be a bigger factor.

But then, ... that may have been what you meant from the beginning ...

I wish the dynamics were just "the vagaries of SA justice system", yet I fear the politics, corruption and bribes of the SA justice system will be a bigger factor.

Precisely!

Of course it's not just S.A. But the people from each country can only see it in a different country.

It's like addictions. We want to lecture to other people about their addictions, so as not to focus on our own!

Corruption alas is very similar in that people are only able to see it elsewhere.

I think this is going to place a BIG part in this trail-JMO

His double bed was perfectly made. Golden sunlight streamed through the large window. The only items that looked out of place were the cricket and baseball bats behind the door.
Then there was the black pistol on the table next to the bed – and a sinister-looking machine gun under the window.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-rages-procession-blondes-.html#ixzz2LyPSrCLf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member