General Discussion Thread #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Types of mental disorders (South African Law)

Burchell lays out a number of types of mental disorder:

1. organic disorders, which are due to a general medical condition, and which are pathological and endogenous, and which therefore satisfy the criteria of the legal definition of insanity;

2. substance-related disorders, which are not necessarily pathological, endogenous or permanent, so that persons suffering from them are not necessarily legally insane;

3. schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, which are pathological, endogenous and capable of depriving the sufferer of insight or self-control, and therefore satisfy the criteria of the legal definition of insanity;

4. personality disorders, which are not a consequence of disturbance of the psychic state, but rather of patterns of behaviour learned during the formative years, and which are discussed further below;[173] and
mood and anxiety disorders:

5. Mood disorders are capable of depriving the sufferer of insight or self-control, and may therefore satisfy the criteria of the legal definition of insanity.

Anxiety disorders do not affect one’s ability to distinguish reality from unreality, and therefore are not psychotic in nature.

Dissociative orders, however, may deprive the sufferer of insight or self-control, and therefore may satisfy the criteria of the legal definition of insanity.[174]

The Interim Report of the Booysen Commission of Enquiry into the Continued Inclusion of Psychopathy as Certifiable Mental Illness and the Dealing with Psychopathic and Other Violent Offenders found that the “retention of psychopathy as a mental illness in the Mental Health Act is not only scientifically untenable, but it is also not effective in practice.”

In accordance with the recommendations of the Commission, section 286A of the CPA now provides for the declaration of certain persons as dangerous criminals, and section 286B for the imprisonment, for an indefinite period, of such persons.

Even before the Booysen Commission, however, the courts were not prepared to accept psychopathy, in and of itself, as exempting an accused from criminal liability, or even as warranting a lesser sentence on account of diminished responsibility.

In S v Mnyanda,[175] the accused was convicted of murder. In an appeal, he argued that his psychopathy should have been regarded as a mental illness, and thus as an mitigating factor.

The court found that the mere fact that an accused may be regarded as clinically a psychopath is not a basis on which he may be found to have diminished responsibility. Only when, in respect of a particular misdeed, it can be said that the psychopathic tendency was of such a degree as to diminish the capacity for self-control to such a point that, according to a moral judgment, he is less blameworthy, will the law recognise his diminished responsibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_criminal_law#Mental_incapacity

What do you think? With what you know about Pistorius from the MSM, do you think he can mount this sort of case? Is so, why?

New video

with more information about another possible state witness, Darren Fresco, a friend of Pistorius, who was in the car when Samantha Taylor was driving and OP recklessly fired his gun through the sunroof as he was irate after they had been pulled up for speeding.

Johannesburg, August 16 – Prosecutors want to add two new firearm related charges to the murder case against Oscar Pistorius. It is now unclear whether the state will permit the charges to be added as it is not in their jurisdiction. eNCA

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/oscar-pistorius-face-additional-charges

Darren Fresco is Gina Myers' partner. He is here on this video with Gina talking about Reeva and how passionate Reeva was about ending violence against women.

Reeva Steenkamp Was Passionate About Ending Violence Against Women Says Best Friend - YouTube

Kevin Lerena said he thought Pistorius did not have a particularly bad temper.

"No, not at all," he said. "We're all guys. We've all got testosterone and there's certain people that aggravate you -- certain guys that aggravate and irritate you that you do lose your temper with. But Oscar on a whole? No, not at all. He has a very ... humble person -- very quiet ... to himself."

http://abcnews.go.com/International...orius-reeva-steenkamp-happy/story?id=18563223

KEVIN LERENA ON THE GUN INCIDENT AT TASHA'S RESTAURANT

http://kevinlerena.com/2013/03/03/oscar-pistorious-kevin-lerena/

Pistorius shot me by mistake a month ago (ARTICLE in March so must have been in February 2013) Pal was hit in toe at diner, Tasha's

A PAL of Oscar Pistorius told The Sun last night the Blade Runner shot HIM by accident last month. Oscar Pistorius shot me by mistake a month ago, says pal.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-shot-me-by-mistake-a-month-ago-says-pal.html

This was the guy who phoned Pistorius at about 6.30pm on February 13, 2013 so no wonder Pistorius spent time talking to him. I wonder now whether this reckless shooting incident led to the arguments that Reeva and Pistorius had later that night.

Just look at this report, Kevin is so protective of OP:

According to reports, Pistorius, who is nicknamed ‘blade runner’, was dining in a busy restaurant when the gun accidentally went off, nearly hitting a friend's foot. (BUT THE REPORT ABOVE SAYS IT HIT HIS TOE!)

The incident allegedly happened last month during a dinner with friends and Pistorius’s 29-year-old model girlfriend.

The paralympic star was reportedly examining the gun, which belonged to a friend, when it snagged on his trousers and went off, narrowly missing a friend’s foot.

Boxer Kevin Lerena, who was part of the dining party, told South Africa’s Beeld newspaper: “I got a huge fright, because the bullet hit the ground just centimetres from my foot. I must emphasise that the gun belonged to one of Pistorius’s friends. (DID IT REALLY BELONG TO ONE OF PISTORIUS' FRIENDS OR OP HIMSELF?)

“Oscar just wanted to look at the gun, and it sort of snagged on his pants, releasing the safety catch. A shot went off. I wouldn’t call him negligent, it was just an accident. He apologised to me for days afterwards.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...eeks-before-reeva-steenkamp-shot-8499113.html

I am now suspicious of this story. Was it OP's gun and did OP shoot Kevin Lerena's toe?

KEVIN LERENA ABOUT OP'S DRINKING

Pistorius' friend on alcohol being banned as part of his bail: "I don't think that he is a major drinker, or that he does drink a lot"

"He's a normal human being. We go out, we have fun," says the guest of his friend, a fellow South African. "As a person, he's never, ever, in my company, has alcohol changed his personality, or changed him as a person. Never around me has he ever changed in any way, when having alcohol in his system, at any time."

Noting that Lerena is confirming that Pistorius does drink, a detail that contradicts prior statement's by the sprinter's own attorney, Piers Morgan follows up:

"Would you say that the reality is he would have alcohol, just not to excess?"

"That's obviously something that he'd do in his private time, or his off time," says Lerena, of Pistorius drinking. "He's definitely not a person that goes out, and goes to clubs, and that type of thing. He's a very homely person that spends a lot of time with his friends, so, I don't think that he is a major drinker, or that he does drink a lot."

Listen to the video at this link:

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/20...-a-major-drinker-or-that-he-does-drink-a-lot/

Did OP lie to Barry Roux about his drinking habits or did Barry Roux lie himself on OP's behalf?

OPINION:

To prove the crime of murder the State has to prove the following elements:

(1) wilful conduct - either an act or omission (no problem here, Oscar admits to firing the four shots which he clearly and wilfully wanted to do);

(2) unlawfulness of the conduct (at the bail hearing, Barry Roux already conceded that, objectively judged, Pistorius's life was not in danger at all and therefore he cannot rely on private defence to exclude wrongfulness);

(3) causation (again, no problem, since it is clear the shots fired by Pistorius caused the death of Steenkamp); and

(4) fault, which in the case of murder is intention.

It is clear that Pistorius and his legal team deny the crime of murder on the grounds that he lacks fault since he had no intention to kill Reeva.

There are three different types of intention -

dolus directus,
dolus indirectus
dolus eventualis.

But looking at the intention of a person accused of a crime of murder is a subjective inquiry - in other words, the court will attempt to establish

1) what Pistorius himself was actually thinking at the time

2) what he actually intended to do by firing the four shots.

The trial will hinge on this aspect.

The State will argue that Pistorius intended to kill his girlfriend Steenkamp, and Pistorius will deny that.

Pistorius claims he did not know his girlfriend was behind the toilet door.

Assuming the court accepts his version, the next question is:

Did Pistorius intend to kill the "burglar" that was located behind the door?

If it is established that his intention was to kill a perceived burglar behind the toilet door, the mere fact that the person behind the door turns out to be Steenkamp and not a burglar does not protect Pistorius.

So-called error in objecto is not a defence. He would still have the requisite intention and would be convicted of murder.

If it is established that Oscar did not, in fact, intend

(a) killing Steenkamp specifically or

(b) killing a suspected burglar behind the door,

the next step in the inquiry is to possibly look at whether legal intention, or dolus eventualis is applicable.

Dolus eventualis is subjective foreseeable intent, and has been used to convict people of murder due to recklessness (a notable case is Jub-Jub).

The test here is whether Pistorius, at the time of firing the four shots at what he claims was a burglar behind the door, foresaw that by doing so he might kill that burglar, but carried on doing so anyway (or reconciled himself with the consequences).

This could well be the most critical point argued at trial, i.e. the State will argue that Pistorius must have been aware that firing four shots through a closed toilet door might result in the death of whomever might be in there, and still went ahead and did so.

If the court finds that Pistorius lacked intention, and did not foresee that his actions would result in death, the subjective inquiry into his intention is completed and he can no longer be convicted of murder.

However, that still leaves the crime of culpable homicide (or unlawful killing due to negligence). The inquiry will now become objective, i.e. the court will attempt to establish whether a reasonable man in Pistorius's situation would have fired four shots through a toilet door at a perceived intruder/burglar. If the court finds that a reasonable person would not have done so, then Pistorius will be found guilty of culpable homicide.

A conviction of culpable homicide has already been suggested by state prosecutor Gerrie Nel as the best possible scenario for Pistorius.

The contents of Pistorius's affidavit at his bail hearing effectively already concedes guilt on a crime of culpable homicide.

Is Pistorius's defence team going to try their best to get the NPA (and Pistorius himself, I imagine!) to agree to a plea-bargain whereby Pistorius admits guilt to culpable homicide?

I very much doubt if this is going to happen. Public interest will weigh high in favour of a trial and there is in my view very little motivation for plea bargaining.

I am so pleased that Samantha Taylor decided to spill the beans on Pistorius. Perhaps this incident led to the end of their relationship. It appears that the Taylors sent him off to see a psychiatrist but he did not see one. She must have witness protection now or be confident he might be bailed after Monday.

BIB 1 - The only thing that worries me now over this is that his lawyers have to give the Prosecution permission to add these two charges of misfiring a gun in a public place to the list of charges on Monday. I wonder what excuse they will come up with to refuse that request.

The only reason that Samantha delayed reporting it was because he threatened her.

With the other incident the only reason it was not reported to the police was that they all denied it and let a friend take the fall for it. Which friend was this? What a friend to have!

So the delays in reporting these two incidents would IMO have been the only reason his lawyers could have come up with to stop the Prosecution from adding them to the list on Monday. So it will be interesting to hear the legal arguments they come up with if they try to stop it. Also to find out whether his bail will now be denied as I think there are strong reasons for denying it now. I think there would be a public outrage if he is allowed to remain on bail until February as that is six months away - IMO plenty of time to flee, suicide or steal a gun and kill a witness.

BIB 2 - I would not be surprised either if more witnesses come forward who were reluctant before. There do not seem to be many OP supporters any more if twitter and comments under articles are anything to go by and it has been growing since yesterday. Just this thread has attracted over 58,000 viewers so far!

However, IMO I still think that his lawyers will give OP false confidence that they can fight this at the trial and set him free due to the freedom the second bail hearing gave him, his family's attitudes to him and the Botha fiasco.

BIB 1 - The only one who decides which charges are permitted or not is the judge. Otherwise defence lawyers could change the state's indictment for premeditated murder to culpable homicide - but that's also not possible.

The accused and his DT must come to terms with the judge's decision whether they like it or not.

BIB 2 - I am curious whether Cassidy Taylor-Memmory will be a witness against OP. The settlement between both seems to be done and I would like to know whether she had to sign a Non-Disclosure-Agreement to prevent her from testifying.

But I don't know whether such an agreement would be valid in court.

Do you think that OP's Lawyers could use mental illness as a defence? (This is an extract from Australian law)

http://www.armstronglegal.com.au/web/page/complete_defences_to_muder

As I know it's not possible for OP to plead for any kind of mental or psychological disorders because

a) He gave an affidavit in which it was none of this. On the contrary - in his affidavit he showed he was, despite his fear able to think and act absolutely clearly.

b) His DT denied in the BH that he was on steroids and/or alcohol. They also said he basically not drinks alcohol.

c) The judge asked OP several times in the BH whether he's OK because he sobbed and wept so much. And every time OP answered: "Yes, thanks I'm OK". So there wasn't any reference that he would be more stressed than according the circumstances.

d) His DT at no time brought forward a motion of mental or psychological disorders. So there is no chance to do so now after they got the indictment.

Moreover OP has no history of mental or psychological disorder and - so far as we know - he was at no time under psychiatric or psychological treatment.

e) OP's family always denied he's in bad mental state and/or on "verge of suicide" - always very quickly after such reports made public by "friends".

New video

with more information about another possible state witness, Darren Fresco, a friend of Pistorius, who was in the car when Samantha Taylor was driving and OP recklessly fired his gun through the sunroof as he was irate after they had been pulled up for speeding.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/oscar-pistorius-face-additional-charges

Darren Fresco is Gina Myers' partner. He is here on this video with Gina talking about Reeva and how passionate Reeva was about ending violence against women.

Reeva Steenkamp Was Passionate About Ending Violence Against Women Says Best Friend - YouTube

Kevin Lerena said he thought Pistorius did not have a particularly bad temper.

"No, not at all," he said. "We're all guys. We've all got testosterone and there's certain people that aggravate you -- certain guys that aggravate and irritate you that you do lose your temper with. But Oscar on a whole? No, not at all. He has a very ... humble person -- very quiet ... to himself."

http://abcnews.go.com/International...orius-reeva-steenkamp-happy/story?id=18563223

Darren Fresco was at the potential witness list I posted some days before but I wasn't sure about his name and wrote "Dan Frisco (?)" as I understood in a video :)

KEVIN LERENA ON THE GUN INCIDENT AT TASHA'S RESTAURANT

http://kevinlerena.com/2013/03/03/oscar-pistorious-kevin-lerena/

Pistorius shot me by mistake a month ago (ARTICLE in March so must have been in February 2013) Pal was hit in toe at diner, Tasha's

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-shot-me-by-mistake-a-month-ago-says-pal.html

BIB 1 - This was the guy who phoned Pistorius at about 6.30pm on February 13, 2013 so no wonder Pistorius spent time talking to him. I wonder now whether this reckless shooting incident led to the arguments that Reeva and Pistorius had later that night.

Just look at this report, Kevin is so protective of OP:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...eeks-before-reeva-steenkamp-shot-8499113.html

BIB 2 - I am now suspicious of this story. Was it OP's gun and did OP shoot Kevin Lerena's toe?

BIB 1 - The guy/friend who phoned OP at about 6.30 p.m. on 13th Feb 2013 wasn't Kevin Lerena but Alexandros Pilakoutos :)

BIB 2 - I'm rather sure this gun belonged to OP and he used the occasion to show it off to his friends.

Is Pistorius's defence team going to try their best to get the NPA (and Pistorius himself, I imagine!) to agree to a plea-bargain whereby Pistorius admits guilt to culpable homicide?

I very much doubt if this is going to happen. Public interest will weigh high in favour of a trial and there is in my view very little motivation for plea bargaining.

I also don't belive they will agree to a plea-bargain but not because of the public interest.

IMO this will not happen because

a) OP is convinced he had not done anything wrong, it was an accident because he mistook Reeva with an intruder. His DT is of the same mind.

b) OP is convinced he has an excellent DT with whose assistance he will win this case and will be released without any conviction - he is OP and he always wins !

c) His family will not allow he pleads guilty - also not culpable homicide - because this would destroy the reputation of the whole family.

Now that OP's DT received the indictment the trial date has been changed.

Pistorius to go on trial in March: lawyer

STAR South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius will go on trial in March next year on murder charges for shooting his girlfriend, his lawyer says.

"The trial will be in March next year. It will be from the first week of March until end of March," attorney Kenny Oldwage said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...icted-for-murder/story-fni0xqll-1226698825111

Bary Bateman tweeted this earlier

Barry Bateman @ barrybateman 16. August
@ maggiecooper12 3-20 März nächsten Jahres.
@ littlemissmadam

https://twitter.com/barrybateman

REMINDER

Pistorius drops R2.2 million claim: report

03 März, 2013

Murder-accused paralympian Oscar Pistorius has withdrawn a R2.2 million claim against a woman who was injured at his home in 2009, according to a report on Sunday.

Pistorius decided to withdraw the reputational damages claim against his former neighbour Cassidy Taylor-Memmory on Thursday and communicated his decision on Friday, the Sunday Independent reported.

On Friday, Pistorius lawyer Gary Pritchard told the French news agency Agence France Presse that the parties were holding "confidential" talks to resolve the lawsuit.

Pritchard declined to say whether his client had retracted his allegations or admitted culpability.

"The merits of the case are no longer relevant, as we are going to settle, and the terms of the settlement will remain confidential," he told the Sunday Independent.

Taylor-Memmory's lawyer Lidene Botha told the publication: "We are in talks, and I am bound by a confidentiality clause."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2013/03/03/pistorius-drops-r2.2-million-claim-report

It's very strange for me that OP has withdrawn this claim and was content to a settlement. After all, it was he who sued Cassidy Taylor-Memmory since 2009 - over nearly four years - with no sign of any willingness to an out of court settlement before.

But suddenly, if he was charged with the killing of Reeva he changed his mind :whistle:

Wasn't this case clear enough so OP had fear about losing it? Because that wouldn't be good for him: he would have a criminal record of violence and this would have had negative impact on his murder indictment.

I also would like to know what happened in this context with his lawsuit against Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa ?

After the incident, Pistorius instituted a lawsuit of R6.5 million against Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa for unlawful arrest and put in a R2.2 million claim of malicious intent against Taylor-Memory.
http://www.citypress.co.za/news/pistorius-never-far-from-controversy/

Has he withdrawn this complaint too? I heard no more about it.

Oscar Pistorius's luxury house has bad karma

Estate agents do not want to market paralympic star Oscar Pistorius's luxury house in Silver Woods in Pretoria, the Sunday Times reported.

Alberto Ochetta of Casa Nostra Properties was quoted saying: "I wouldn't want to market that house. It just has bad karma attached to it now and it will be an incredibly difficult sell."

The newspaper reported the house was due to be listed with Engel & Volkers Silverlakes for R6 million.

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-property/oscars-house-has-bad-karma-agent

Pistorius's home on the market since 2011

2013-02-19

Pretoria - The luxury Silver Woods Estate home in Pretoria East where Oscar Pistorius's girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, was killed last week has been on the market since 2011, according to a report on Tuesday.

Ina Laubscher, an estate agent for Pam Golding Properties, told Beeld newspaper that by September 2011, when the sale of the house became her responsibility, the property had been on the market for months.

The asking price for the four bedroom home is R6.5m.

The house, with a property size of 1 045 square metres and a floor area of 580 square metres, has four bedrooms, four bathrooms, five reception rooms, three garages and a swimming pool.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Pistoriuss-home-on-the-market-since-2011-20130219

Another (old but) very interesting report about the "steroids" and more.....

Police pursue steroids theory in Oscar case

19 Februar, 2013

Boxes of drugs seized from a bedside drawer in the home of Olympian Oscar Pistorius are the subject of a barrage of laboratory tests.

Blood and urine samples taken from the Blade Runner the day he shot his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, are also being tested.

The aim: to show whether the sportsman was either in the possession of or on steroids at the time of the killing.

Asked about the reported discovery of drugs, Pistorius's lawyer Kenny Oldwadge said last night: "I am not going to comment on that.

'The allegation has not been levelled against us or specifically put to us so I am not going to comment on it.''

Unconfirmed reports suggest Pistorius, when questioned by police about the drugs, claimed he had been keeping them for someone. It is not known whether the identity of this person is known.

The drugs have also been sent for testing by the police forensics science laboratory, and pharmacists have been called on to ascertain whether they are, in fact, steroids.

"The drugs and syringes were found shortly after the house was sealed off . crime scene investigators were searching a room linked to the crime when they found them.

Another officer said investigators had retrieved evidence of sexual activity from Pistorius's bedroom. "They are being analysed for DNA to determine who they belong to and whether they originate from the night of the killing.

Of concern to investigators was that Pistorius's car, which had been parked in his driveway that night, had not been examined, he said. "The keys were apparently in the ignition, but no reason could be given as to why they were not removed or why it was left standing there and not parked in one of the three garages. The car has been given back to the family so any potential forensic [evidence] could be lost."

http://www.timeslive.co.za/news/2013/02/19/police-pursue-steroids-theory-in-oscar-case

More from my post above:

"Taylor told the police about an incident during which she and Pistorius was driving on the highway with the sunroof open.

Taylor was behind the wheel.

“Oscar allegedly stood up and fired shots through the sunroof,” City Press was reliably told.

This may lead to the state adding extra charges of the reckless and negligent discharge of a firearm against the athlete."...

Article also says OP will be charged with discharging a firearm in the Joburg restaurant episode in January.

"She [Trish Taylor] further said Pistorius needed help but didn’t keep to his promises of seeing a psychiatrist."

Reeva Steenkamp ‘cowered’ behind toilet door
City Press 18 August 2013

City Press today reveals the state will argue that Reeva Steenkamp was crouching behind the toilet door in Oscar Pistorius’ bathroom when she was shot dead on Valentine’s Day.

Contained in the police docket, which was handed to the athlete’s legal team this week, is a post-mortem report revealing the extent of Steenkamp’s injuries and forensic bloodstain pattern analysis.

The state planned to add two more charges to Pistorius’ indictment tomorrow, but decided against it after objections by the athlete’s legal team, who will now make representations to the National Prosecuting Authority.

http://newswall.co.za/news/latest/city-press/reeva-steenkamp-cowered-behind-toilet-door/adfcm.228759

Can those two extra charges still be made against OP?

Apparently the reason they can object is that they occurred in another jurisdiction.

http://www.independent.ie/world-new...-claims-against-assault-accuser-29105576.html

In the meantime, he chose to go public about the incident and in an interview with a local TV station claimed Ms Taylor-Memmory "had obviously drank too much and she got into a fight with someone", adding that he asked her to leave his house, but that she forgot "her handbag or something" and when she returned to retrieve it, "she tried to kind of open (the door) by kicking it through the splinters and the panel fell off . . . and fell on the ground and toppled over and hit her on the leg".

Sounds familiar 'Get out of my house' and "a panel fell off ".

"she tried to kind of open (the door) by kicking it through the splinters and the panel fell off . . . and fell on the ground and toppled over and hit her on the leg".

My goodness and he managed to get off with IMO another absolutely lame excuse. No wonder he thinks he can get away with anything and can arrogantly say 'I always wins ' since it appears to be true :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch