General Discussion Thread #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

She was described as being "statuesque" so I guess that means tall. I do not know how tall she is but she is a staunch follower. But the family have been trained to say she is his cousin! OP has been seen twice with this same lady at Audi looking at cars. Perhaps he is going to reward her "loyalty" with a car!

I have been curious about who the legal eagles will be next Monday. Do they remain to be the same ones? I found this old but interesting article I have never seen before:

Meet the legal eagles in the Oscar Pistorius case

Some of South Africa's top legal officials are involved in the sprinter's high-profile case. Meet the major players who could determine the Olympian's fate.

GERRIE NEL, The Prosecutor

Pistorius is not the first powerful South African that prosecutor Gerrie Nel has gone after. No-nonsense Nel won a corruption conviction against Jackie Selebi, who was South Africa’s police chief and later head of Interpol. While probing the politically-connected Selebi, Nel was rousted from his bed by 20 cops and arrested in front of his wife and kids on trumped-up fraud charges. The charges against Nel were later dismissed and Selebi was eventually sentenced to 15 years in prison.

At the bail hearing, the following was disclosed so it will be interesting to see whether they still stand by these claims:

1. We have the statement of a person who said that after he heard gunshots he went to his balcony and saw the light was on. Then he heard a female screaming two-three times, then more gunshots.

2. Pistorius and Steenkamp had fought non-stop on the night of her killing.

3. An unnamed witness "heard talking that sounded like non-stop fighting from two to three in the morning" shortly before Steenkamp was found dead

4. Reeva was shot three times through the bathroom door, with wounds to her head, elbow and hip. The shots were not fired straight at the toilet door, but rather "directly to the toilet, the basin itself"

5. If you walk in directly and fire straight at the door you will miss the toilet.

6. OP faces an additional charge of possessing unlicensed .38 special calibre ammunition.

7. Oscar Pistorius’ disability does not make him any different from anyone else accused of a crime, prosecutor Gerrie Nel said.

8. Oscar Pistorius should have taken the court into his confidence by testifying at his bail hearing, prosecutor Gerrie Nel said

9. Nel returned to the evidence of the location of the gun and mobile phone, casting doubt on Pistorius's version of events.

10. Nel said that the presence of three bullet casings in the bathroom meant that Pistorius must have been in there when the shots were fired. Prosecutor Gerrie Nel: Premeditation. "Deliberate aiming of shots at toilet from about 1.5 metres."

11. Nel said that Steenkamp was shot through her shorts, meaning that she was probably not going to toilet when the bullet was fired.

12. Steenkamp would have said something when Pistorius shouted that there was an intruder.

13. Nel suggested that the couple would have seen each other when he returned from the balcony to get a fan and she went to the bathroom.

14. Nel said that Pistorius planned to kill his girlfriend on the night after Steenkamp locked herself in the toilet room after a fight with Pistorius, or on seeing his gun.

15. We cannot rule out that there was some planning involved in the killing, which may be considered as a premeditated murder. Gerrie Nel told the court that Pistorius armed himself, put on his prosthesis, walked 7m and fired three shots at Steenkamp through a locked bathroom door, saying this showed premeditation on the star athlete's part. Mr Nel said the killing was premeditated because Pistorius had planned to say he thought he was shooting an intruder. "It was all part of the pre-planning. Why would a burglar lock himself inside the bathroom?" Mr Nel asked. Prosecutor Gerrie Nel charged OP with premeditated murder, alleging he took the time to put on his legs and walk some seven metres from the bed to the bathroom door before opening fire. A conviction of premeditated murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in jail.

16. Prosecutor Gerrie Nel: On his own version, OscarPistorius is bound to be convicted at least of murder with indirect intent.

17. Nel said the accused athlete should take the stand to testify personally. He says every angle of the athlete's story is "improbable". "It's always easy to give a version, especially if there's only one person there," he said.

18. The degree of violence in the death of Oscar Pistorius's girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was "horrific", prosecutor Gerrie Nel says.

19. Why did Pistorius carry Ms Steenkamp's body down a staircase after she was shot?

20. Why didn't Pistorius look for his girlfriend if he suspected there was a burglar in the house?

21. Why did Ms Steenkamp lock herself in the toilet - was she afraid of being shot or killed?

22. Why did he put on his prosthetic limbs and walk seven metres to the bathroom?

23. Mr Nel said: "If I arm myself, walk a distance and murder a person, that is premeditated. The door is closed. There is no doubt. I walk seven metres and I kill. The motive is 'I want to kill'. That's it."

A comment made: Gerrie Nel and Andrea Johnson on the Pistorius case. Brilliant prosecuting team!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ighting-for-bail/story-e6frg6so-1226582230975

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...nkamp-farewelled/story-e6frg6so-1226581508819

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/ba...ed-bathroom-door/story-fnbzs1v0-1226581948137

http://www.citypress.co.za/tag/t-gerrie-nel/

I got a little insight into the prosecution’s possible strategy.

Lydia Polgreen is the New York Times Johannesburg Bureau Chief.

She had the following to say on her Twitter account (@lpolgreen) earlier this morning:

Spoke to a crime and trial expert who argued bail hearing has been good for prosecutors. They don’t care about bail.

Their main objective was to box Pistorius into an account of the shooting that they can attack at trial.

The fact remains, this expert told me, that Pistorius‘ story is so implausible. At trial OP must defend it to the letter.

And that may prove tough under skilled cross examination. Gerrie Nel is no fool, expert told me. By arguing this was premeditated, the prosecution forced the defense to present a narrative to get bail. That’s big for Nel.

It seems that Gerrie Nel cannot be underestimated. He is the same State Prosecutor and Advocate for the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa who successfully prosecuted former police commissioner, Jackie Selebi. Jackie Selebi was found guilty of corruption and handed a 15-year prison sentence. Nel has also served as a former head of the Directorate of Special Operations, known as the Scorpions, in Gauteng.

http://thefrenchcorner7690.wordpress.com/tag/gerrie-nel/

LT. GEN. VINESH MOONOO, SOUTH AFRICA'S MOST SENIOR DETECTIVE

Vinesh Moonoo , the detective taking over the Oscar Pistorius case, is the top gumshoe in the South African police service.

On the job for 32 years, Moonoo started off walking a beat in the city of Durban and cut his investigative teeth investigating crime in Soweto, the sprawling black township near Johannesburg.

A married father of two, Moonoo holds the rank of lieutenant-general.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...istorius-case-article-1.1270479#ixzz2bqpJogDW

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/29...r-Pistorius-investigator-Lt-Gen-Vinesh-Moonoo

Indictment against Oscar Pistorius finished

(An Austrian report)
The indictment against the under murder suspected South African sprint star Oscar Pistorius is done. It encompasses a whole list of charges, said a spokeswoman for the South African prosecution Bulelwa Makele, on Tuesday.

Pistorius is subject to conditions in the wild. The judge had admonished him to appear at the next hearing. Otherwise, Pistorius will imprisoned.

http://www.format.at/articles/1333/928/364131/anklageschrift-oscar-pistorius

similar:

Prosecutors finalise indictment for Oscar Pistorius trial

Johannesburg: Prosecutors said Tuesday they have finalised their case against Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius, who is charged with the Valentine`s Day murder of his girlfriend. "We have finalised the indictment, which contains a full list of the charges," said Bulelwa Makeke, the National Prosecuting Authority spokeswoman. "It will be served on Monday."

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/oth...ictment-for-oscar-pistorius-trial_766953.html

I'm so excited ! :dance: .... :jail:

@ Estelle :seeya:

I'll back later to reply your question regarding post #1018. It can't be explained in one sentence :)

Erin Stear was described as a "statuesque blonde" in the Fabwags article!

In that article I read that OP had four mobile phones to communicate with all these girls! No wonder he "forgot" the passwords!!! as he claimed to have been in love with Reeva and wanted to marry her. Perhaps on the night of the 13/14th February, Reeva caught him talking to one or more on the phone and that led to their arguments as she felt deceived.

Indictment against Oscar Pistorius finished

similar:

Prosecutors finalise indictment for Oscar Pistorius trial

I'm so excited ! :dance: .... :jail:

I'm excited too!

But a whole list of charges?????

How many could there be?

I would be interested to know what charges posters think might on that list.

Oscar Pistorius Nears Trial Date in Girlfriend’s Killing

A spokesperson for South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority says the police investigation into the killing has been completed and the indictment is ready to be served.

This will outline the exact charges against the man dubbed “the Blade-runner” and will give an indication of who the state plans to call to testify in the high-profile murder case.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...rius-nears-trial-date-in-girlfriends-killing/

Up to now potential list of witnesses (from older reports):

1. Francois Hougaard
2. Samantha Taylor
3. Gina Myers
4. Kim Myers
5. Waren Lahoud
6. Dan Frisco (?)
7. Mark Batchelor
8. Justin Divaris

-----

12 residences
5 security guards
3 paramedics

I'm excited too!

But a whole list of charges?????

How many could there be?

I would be interested to know what charges posters think might on that list.

My suggestions

:behindbar Charged for:

1. Premeditated murder

2. Possession of unlicensed ammunition

3. Failure to render assistance (calling every Tom, Dick and Harry before ambulance)

4. Withhold evidence (5th cell phone - belongs to him, used by him, given to somebody but not police)

5. Covering up killing Reeva (lots of time between shooting and telling someone "I thought it was an intruder")

6. Covering up the crime scene (carry Reeva downstairs, far from the actual crime scene)

7. Covering up assets (property in Johannesburg wasn’t declared in his affidavit)

8. Covering up offshore accounts (memory stick in safe)

9. Covering up prior threats and violence (gun in restaurant, case Cassidy Taylor-Memmory etc.)

Now it's your turn to continue..... :D

I'm back.

I notice that the news stories the last couple of days, and even back in June, called the upcoming August 19th affair a hearing and not a trial.

So I guess the charges will finally be read [but no trial--so a short affair], and the Judge will have to agree to them. DT will object to PM charge.

Would anyone here be surprised if either Pros drops PM charge or if Judge says no to PM charge?

It would be a travesty, but it would not shock me. I would still bet against it at this PIT, but not by much.

JMOOC.

She was described as being "statuesque" so I guess that means tall. I do not know how tall she is but she is a staunch follower. But the family have been trained to say she is his cousin! OP has been seen twice with this same lady at Audi looking at cars. Perhaps he is going to reward her "loyalty" with a car!

I thought Statuesque meant hard faced with eyes as cold as marbles LOL.

Pistorius trial date likely by Monday

Pistorius's lawyers want the charge reduced to culpable homicide.

His attorney Kenneth Oldwage told AFP he would meet with prosecutor Gerrie Nel to discuss the trial date before the appearance.

Police expect Monday's procedural hearing to be postponed after the indictment is served.

By then the prosecution and defence may also have finalised a start date for the trial, which is supposed to take place early next year.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/prosecutors-finalise-indictment-pistorius-trial-092159822.html#L6i3zRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnmeep