George Zimmerman /Trayvon Martin General Discussion #12 Wed July 10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of people on this forum discuss having witnessed fights, shootings, all kinds of violent things. Am I the only one who has never witnessed such violence? I live in a small town now, but I haven't always. I once lived in Washington DC and Philadelphia. Even there I never witnessed this kind of violence. I grant you it was many years ago, but still---never. I have never been abused, attacked, hit my head on the ground or floor or sidewalk. I once broke my arm but that was playing tennis and I fell.I've never broken the law and never even received a speeding ticket. I haven't smoked marijuana or used other illegal drugs. And my friends and family are more or less the same, except one of my nieces had a terrible automobile accident and was badly injured, but she recovered. No one in my family has ever been kidnapped or murdered.

So all of this is leading up to this question: Is it possible that I believe GZ is guilty because I have never seen a thing like this? I do believe GZ is not telling the truth about his encounter with TM and I believe TM unjustly lost his life. But maybe we bring our own life experiences into such circumstances and we are only able to see it from that point of view? Just wondering.

Yes...I think past experience can color opinions. And I disagree with your conclusions.

I have seen violence and been scared for my life. Also, someone has attempted to kidnap a sister, and killed her body guard. Life experiences unfortunately.....also NOT race related.

Great job, A real life display in front of jury. Huge moment for the jury to see that GZ's story is nonsense. IMO

You must be watching delayed on HLNN. Just keep watching I think you'll change your mind in just a minute about that real life display when MOM gets up there. JMOO

People that abuse their responsibilities and hide behind confusing at best Laws are not real high on my model civilian list. IMO

If by "people" you are meaning GZ, I disagree. There is nothing in evidence that shows he abused his responsibilities. He also had a CCW and you better believe anyone who does knows the law pertaining to that CCW inside and out, they are darn well not confused by it at all. IMO

Hello lisasalinger, thank you for your reply, I do appreciate the long, cordial, thoughtful rebuttal in yesterday's thread which I unfortunately missed. So kindly allow me to return the honor.

When I offered in the older post that "there is *no proof* to support the versions of events as stated by GZ, no GZ DNA on TM, indicating at least *some* physical contact, no lethal weapon on TM, no signs of 25 blows on the concrete sidewalk, no eye witness accounts, etc.", I meant that strictly with regard to the case for self-defense. What I referred to specifically is the “imminent death/great bodily harm” scenario necessary, which IMO remains unproven by existing evidence or testimony.

IMO, the several paragraphs of descriptions in your post could match *some* of GZ’s account in general, however, the crux of the case rests not on supporting *some* of GZ’s account, but on providing definitive evidence that GZ *was* confronted with a situation of “imminent death/great bodily harm” to justify killing TM. Therefore every scenario described has to pass the criteria/test of demonstrating a situation of “imminent death/great bodily harm” to enter as evidence on GZ’s side. The question needs to be asked each time, “Is this a life or death situation for GZ?”, for every eye witness testimony or physical evidence, eg. JG's testimony or GZ’s injuries.

How TM was shot was not in question. However, even if TM was straddling GZ, this is still not an imminent death threat to GZ. That TM did grab, slam, punch GZ are all conjecture because there’s really no DNA of GZ on TM to indicate any of these actions at all. It is as if someone claims to have used a glass for drinking several rounds of beer yet there’s *no fingerprints* on the glass, and those who try to uphold this claim try to explain the absence of fingerprints through various incongruous hypotheses. The clearest and most reasonable explanation is that the glass has not been used at all, unless there’s tampering with evidence. Unlike fingerprints, DNA cannot be wiped away, *some* blood and flesh will remain even in minute quantities, especially when no one tampered with the sidewalk, TM’s corpse or clothes. So lack of any, even the slightest, traces of contact between TM and GZ is damning evidence that they were not engaged in any significant physical struggle.

IMO, no situation of “imminent death/great bodily harm” has been described.

John Good's testimony does not constitute evidence that TM was delivering potentially lethal force that justifies his own killing/death. If JG had seen exactly what GZ was describing, his head being “slammed onto concrete many times”, then that could be entered as evidence of imminent death or great bodily harm. What JG described was a *potential* fight scenario, the blows or punches aren’t even clear to JG. Notice JG could not even claim it was a fight, only that one was on top of the other and there were up and down arm motions. Since GZ injuries were in the face and head, ie unprotected by clothing, flesh and blood DNA would have been left on TM’s hands if TM was indeed punching and pummeling his face and head many times without gloves. IMO

Males in general are not alien to fighting, especially for an MMA trainer. The whole altercation lasted at most 2 minutes, it would be reasonable to expect that GZ could fight back for at least 2 minutes, yet his gun was drawn almost immediately after the encounter happened. IMO

Witnesses did not describe a potentially life-threatening scenario. When two men are scuffling for a minute or two, there is no reason to believe that one is going to die or suffer great bodily harm, unless a lethal weapon is present.

If being near a concrete sidewalk can be accepted as the equivalent of carrying a lethal weapon, then *all* of us are carrying a lethal weapon anywhere where there’re sticks, stones, bricks and concrete, so I am not ready to accept that being near a concrete sidewalk = wielding a loaded gun or a large sharp knife.

The implications of this analogy by defense is troubling - BOTH parties are able to "wield" the concrete sidewalk, so to speak. Being "armed" implies being equipped with an overwhelming advantage to deliver lethal force. The concrete sidewalk cannot be TM's "lethal weapon", as this is a "lethal weapon" that is available to all, therefore it isn't. It doesn't tip the balance of power at all, unlike a gun. Imagine the term "unarmed civilian" can no longer apply if a hard ground is present..."Your honor, I have to kill him because he could kill me by smashing me against the hard ground/wall/column", that would absurd.

Besides, there is no evidence of the "head slamming on concrete by TM", no GZ’s DNA on TM, no blood on concrete found, no eye witness account, no medical examiner documentation even, etc. again, only GZ’s version of events.

I agree with you that GZ's perception matters as well. I perceive differently because the police/ME couldn’t detect *any* GZ DNA on TM, thus showing the two might not even have had any close physical contact, let alone the “pounding and slamming on concrete” scenario. It is also possible that GZ’s injuries were created via other avenues than at the hands of TM. So GZ’s perception does not match the reality - the lack of evidence of lethal, bloody, forceful physical fight with TM.

Short of tampering with the DNA evidence by the police or ME, i.e. the equivalent of wiping fingerprints away, the absence of *any* evidence makes me skeptical that I should go on GZ’s account alone.

IMO, nothing described in your post, lasting under 2 minutes, could *reasonably* compel GZ to fear for his life. GZ isn’t a frail elderly person unable to fight back for these couple of minutes. Drawing a gun and shooting to kill (aiming at heart)within a matter of seconds of a close encounter, IMO, shows a reckless attitude and an indifference to the other person's life.

If I were to be attacked by another 40 lbs smaller, 12 years younger person, for 2 minutes, there is simply no way that he or she could kill me with his bare hands within that timeframe.

If being in a fight alone is justification enough for self-defense in the killing of another person, then there is no need for the “imminent death/great bodily harm” clause/condition attached to qualify as self-defense. IMO

If all the evidence points to the contrary, eg. blood DNA of GZ were to be found on TM, eye witnesses seeing slamming of GZ’s head, concrete showing traces of GZ’s blood, fight lasted longer with GZ losing, and GZ sustained greater injuries, eg. concussion, etc., if any of these had surfaced, I would of course take the opposite position, that indeed GZ acted in self-defense.

Unfortunately, the *opposite* had happened, ie. the positive evidence of “imminent death/great bodily harm” scenario do not exist, while the negative does, showing TM had little to no physical contact with GZ.

All respectfully offered and always stated as my own humble opinion.
:cheers:

Hi Qwerty... I will give you kudos that your arguments are well thought out and definitely items to be considered.

I highlighted in red some items that I'd like to discuss from my perspective of things.

I too did give some pause to the fact that George's blood/DNA was not on Trayvon's hands. That is something to consider, and the jury should consider that. But my understanding from some testimony I heard (unfortunately can't point you to exact person/times) is that it is not guaranteed that DNA will be left on anybody when you come in contact. There is a possibility in a wet environment that evidence will be lost. That opens up some reasonable doubt and the jury should consider that as well.

John Good's witness testimony may not be direct evidence of a "lethal attack" but it does corrobate many details of George's story so there is some merit in that.

To your point that self defense requires that you prove the possibility of imminent death, the prosecution has to prove that George acted with ill-will and hatred and intentionally killed Trayvon. In my opinion, and as if I were on that jury, being suspicious of hooded people in your neighborhood that has been repeatedly burglarized, making one statement about a-h*les getting away and walking to see where this person may have gone does not even come close to proving that George had hatred and wanted him dead.

Here is a scenario to consider... if I am at home in my condo complex and see somebody that (for whatever my own reason) seems suspicious, do I not have a right to go look and see what is going on? Sure, it's probably bad judgement, but do I have right to go check it out? Maybe I'll bring a flashlight and golf club just to be safe. It's not so much of a stretch for me that people go and check out suspicious activity. Again, bad judgement does not equal the intent to kill somebody.

One item that I really have to disagree with is that somebody of a different size couldn't kill you in 2 minutes. Of course they could. I mentioned this in a previous post, so my apologies that I am repeating but when I was in high school, two guys got in a fight out in the driveway... one guy threw the other guy on the ground, he hit his head on the pavement and died later that night. Pavement can absolutely kill if applied with the right force. He wasn't bleeding all over the place... he had massive internal injuries. His friends didn't know he was dying and drove him home to his parent's house that night where he died.

We can make the argument that cars are not lethal weapons but they sure as heck can kill. I believe that it depends on how you apply that force. But I am not a legal person, so I'd really need for somebody to chime in who understands the law fully about applying lethal force. I don't believe it's limited to items that are intended for great damage/death i.e. a gun or a knife.

Oh also, I don't necessarily believe that he directly aimed at the heart and intended to shoot him there but that is my own pure speculation. I can see the scenario where you grab a gun, aim at what is in front of you and shoot. If he was leaning over him as it seems more and more likely that has been corroborated, then I think it could potentially be easy to shoot somebody in that spot without aiming - it's right in front of you.

So many different ways to slice and dice this info. As I mentioned, you have great points and believe me, I have surely considered them. I took myself by surprise when I realized that I could totally see the case for self defense. That's just how I see the information.

I am fascinated to know how the jury feels, although I will be surprised if any of them speak afterwards. I am ready to accept whatever they decide and hope that they are left alone afterwards (although, I highly doubt that will happen).

Thanks for the spirited debate. Look forward to your response.

EDITED: I forgot to add in my point about George's injuries coming from somewhere other than Trayvon's hands. For me this is just a logic thing. IMO, it is a huge stretch that he would have received injuries to the front, back and sides of his head by his own doing or by trees as the prosecution threw in yesterday. There are many witnesses that corroborate there was a fight and the bodies were touching.

IMO

IMO these are facts that you may be using in your opinion that TM was raining blows down on GZ, I have been an abused woman know full well what raining blows feel like and what I looked like at the end of the abuse and GZ did not look anything like I did, I also had my head pounded into the floor and yes I did think I might lose my life but my injuries were so far past what GZ sustained that night that in no way do I believe that he was in threat of losing his life so this is from a voice of experience GZ did not look like he had blows rained down on him and did not look like he was in threat of losing his life imo

It's all about fear, not the actual blows. Numerous witnesses have testified to this.

IMO these are facts that you may be using in your opinion that TM was raining blows down on GZ, I have been an abused woman know full well what raining blows feel like and what I looked like at the end of the abuse and GZ did not look anything like I did, I also had my head pounded into the floor and yes I did think I might lose my life but my injuries were so far past what GZ sustained that night that in no way do I believe that he was in threat of losing his life so this is from a voice of experience GZ did not look like he had blows rained down on him and did not look like he was in threat of losing his life imo

Thank you very much for bravely bringing your real life experience in to tell what seems possible and what does not. Right off the bat, Chris Serino accused GZ of exaggeration. IMO
From what Rao testified, it was gross exaggeration.IMO

As per RJ, TM did make it home. It was TM's decision to go back and confront GZ. JMO. OMO. MOO.

I don't recall RJ saying TM decided to go back and confront GZ. As I recall, she said that TM said GZ was behind him and TM asked him why he was being followed. I believe she also said that that exchange took place in back of the condo wherre TM was staying. I don't know where to find her testimony, but that is what I recall and is IMO.

Here is the problem. TM has been 'baby-fied' due to how this case was in the media from the very beginning. That the idea that a 17 year old, unarmed teenager who was in fit condition could not harm/kill someone else simply because he was 17 or unarmed is fallacy to me. The idea that this 17 year old could not have acted out against that 'creepy white ****' and threw the first punch simply because he's a 'kid' is also fallacy.

Very true. And many people have refused to look beyond the cloying media portrayal and look at who TM really was imo.

Perhaps. Initially, I believed GZ's story because I was attacked in a similar manner and his description rings true to me. (I have since been convinced that GZ is not guilty by the evidence, and lack of evidence on the state's side, produced at trial.) The sad thing is, because I experienced a similar attack, I would have been excluded from the jury. JMO. OMO. MOO.

I have never been chosen to serve on a jury for similar reasons. Usually, I side with the prosecution, support LE, and think people are guilty because why else would they be there. However, this is due to personal tragedy. In this case, I was sure GZ was probably guilty, but the evidence has raised reasonable doubt for me. I think GZ was overcharged. This case is just so sad. JMV, IMO

One of the many bizarre things about this trial is that the prosecution has seemed like the defense. When you prosecute without a case and try to raise reasonable doubt rather than present facts, it looks that way.

Exactly. From a trial strategy standpoint, this case is backwards. Usually you have the prosecution saying "this is what happened." Then the defense challenges that by saying, "no, maybe this is what happened, or perhaps this," offering different plausible explanations for the purpose of creating reasonable doubt. But the opposite is happening here. The defense is saying "this is what happened." And the prosecution is instead offering different possibilities. Very strange.

I would hope no one here would need such a witness as they would be on trial for their lives.

Well, if they do, he's the man to call, in my opinion. I admire a man/woman who knows their area of expertise and doesn't bite on every dangling worm that floats by.

I have never heard this before, but what exactly was GZ going to do when he got out of his truck and began looking for TM? Was he going to apprehend him or arrest him? What exactly was his purpose. IMO I really hate to see a bully with a gun.

He was going to keep an eye out so that when LE arrived he could tell them where he was. Hence the reason for calling NEN in the first place.

If he wanted to apprehend or arrest him or worse, I'm not sure why he bothered to call NEN.

You know what it feels like to you. Not what it felt like to GZ. That is what matters. What it felt like to him.

I am so sorry for what you went through, but I was once cornered but a drunk enraged person. They did not even touch me. Just took a step toward me and I was in complete fear for my life. If it was not for someone walking in, I don't know what would have happened.

It is the fear felt by the person in the moment. Not what our fear would be.

The law says they need to have reasonable fear of great bodily harm or death.. Not that it actually has to happen.

THAT IS LAW. Not opinion.

Does anyone know if NBC Universal has settled with GZ?

I have never heard this before, but what exactly was GZ going to do when he got out of his truck and began looking for TM? Was he going to apprehend him or arrest him? What exactly was his purpose. IMO I really hate to see a bully with a gun.

This is what came out through RZ's interviews, etc.: he got out of the truck because TM ran away and he wanted to keep an eye on where he was so that he could indicate that to the cops when they came; as he was walking, he didn't see TM anymore and continued to the house ahead of him to get the address for the cops; going back to the truck, he says TM approached him.

IT is not about losing. It was not a rumble between two matched fighters. IT was a battle in the dark and one was beating the other without at all being pushed back. He shot to protect his person. Especially since evidence shows TM was the confronting party.

Not only was he beating GZ, TM said "You're gonna die tonight, mothaf*****." No question in my mind, TM was the aggressor and GZ (the victim) shot him in self defense.

I have been attacked in a similar manner and though my face was more bruised than GZ's I attribute that to him being able to deflect the blows better than me. And, IMO, GZ's bloody, broken nose looked bad. I really can't understand why people think his injuries were insignificant. JMO. OMO. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slueth_cat