Geraldo At Large - 08.23.08

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that guy her first visitor, supposedly went to the same school as Casey - may have gotten the name out of a year book and ID to match. Could he have been there to let her know they were watching - she did seem startled or anxious when speaking to him. If I remember, she kept turning her head as if to look behind her - like you would to do see if someone was behind you.

Isabelle,
Ray'sMom
I sure had an uncomfortable feeling watching that too. She did seem frightened. Have always wondered about that guy.

brought from another thread more of show in subsequent posts.

And don't you all love that Casey now has Baez using that word, "
Absolutely?" !!! YUK Too much alone time with his client.

OK, I went back to the DVR of last night's show again and turned the volume up LOUD, and I agree with all that say LP said New York. LP statement: "Where she dropped the child off which we believe is in New York."

I recorded the show so it is still on my DVR and LP does not say New York. He says "5 days to bring her back and claim the reward." LP was caught off saying this and then wanted to continue and said that exact statement. I also put the closed caption on and that is what he said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa-7s4OI8Aw
I just listened to it on my DVR and it sounds to me as if he's saying

"But, it'll give us the five peoples' activities that met with her. Amy, Ricardo, JP, her boyfriend, and we will track the -the the cell phone, probably even to the pizza shop where she ordered the pizza on the night of the 19th. But we're interested in who was holding the child, where she dropped the child off, until they got her up to where we believe is New York."

I just listened to it on my DVR and it sounds to me as if he's saying

"But, it'll give us the five peoples' activities that met with her. Amy, Ricardo, JP, her boyfriend, and we will track the -the the cell phone, probably even to the pizza shop where she ordered the pizza on the night of the 19th. But we're interested in who was holding the child, where she dropped the child off, until they got her up to where we believe is New York."

I retracted my statement about the New York statement and agree with all of you that say Lp said "New York". I went back again, turned the volume up and heard him say New York!

It must be difficult to produce on of those shows because of the unknowns--like how long a guest will speak. I did not think Geraldo ended the show abruptly although it looked that way. What do you think?

You are probably correct, it looks like they just ran out of time.

I just reread this from the transcript:

GR: Do you have any evidence that Caylee is alive? Other than what Casey told you?

CN: Well, at this point, we don't have any information provided to us that leads us to believe otherwise. We believe that she's still out there. That she can be found. If anyone provides us any information. But again, the information we're receiving, the evidence, the follow up that our detectives are conducting with the assistance of the FBI lab as long with the Federal Department of Law Enforcement and their crime analysis folks, receiving all of those tips of information, we have not been able to establish her well being.

If I am reading this correctly, Captain Nieves is actually saying that taking into account all the evidence they have so far, they have not been able to establish Caylee's well being.

Any thoughts?

I am well aware that we are talking about a 3 year old and not a set of car keys.

Don't misunderstand - I am saying Casey didn't lose her car/house keys, she lost her child. Why lie to the police about details as important as where you were when your child disappeared.

If I am reading this correctly, Captain Nieves is actually saying that taking into account all the evidence they have so far, they have not been able to establish Caylee's well being.

Any thoughts?
I think it's PR 101 - how to sound like you're saying something without actually saying anything.

They can't establish her well-being, yet he's not saying they have proof of death.

Which may mean they don't have proof of death, or may mean they don't want to say yet that they have it.

I was just reading the news article someone linked above that reported on Baez' client being convicted of manslaughter on Thursday.

Any criminal attorneys in the house? If your client is convicted of manslaughter and you intend to appeal (as Baez is quoted in the story), is there anything you'd feel the need to do immediately, as in the following day?

It strikes me as odd that his client gets convicted of a serious crime, yet less than 24 hours later he's able to spend all day hanging around the World's Worst Mom.

I think it's PR 101 - how to sound like you're saying something without actually saying anything.

They can't establish her well-being, yet he's not saying they have proof of death.

Which may mean they don't have proof of death, or may mean they don't want to say yet that they have it.

I thought it was interesting because Geraldo spun it the opposite way to his guests, Kim and Jeanine, which caused them to do a quick 180 in their opinions of what evidence LE actually has.

I am still of the opinion LE has the goods and will be presenting them to a
Grand Jury very soon.

I thought it was interesting because Geraldo spun it the opposite way to his guests, Kim and Jeanine, which caused them to do a quick 180 in their opinions of what evidence LE actually has.

I am still of the opinion LE has the goods and will be presenting them to a
Grand Jury very soon.
I don't usually watch Geraldo - does his panel always follow his lead? I'm not familiar with the dynamic of that show.

At least on Greta the attorneys have no problem disagreeing with anyone.

I originally thought Baez was not all that smart. When Geraldo asks him a question, he ducks it and geraldo does not follow up.Geraldo is trained as an attorney, probably from a better school than Baez, but Baez consistently leaves him in the dust. Greta needs to get the exclusive Casey intrview.

I don't usually watch Geraldo - does his panel always follow his lead? I'm not familiar with the dynamic of that show.

At least on Greta the attorneys have no problem disagreeing with anyone.

Kim Guilfoyle and Jeanine Pirro don't follow anyone's lead, imo. Both women are very astute and were only basing their opinions on what appeared to be the news, spun by Geraldo, that Captain Nieves was "reassesing" his view of the case, which I do not believe he was doing at all.

I sure had an uncomfortable feeling watching that too. She did seem frightened. Have always wondered about that guy.

OK. I just watched that video again and I did see a bit of emotion but nothing extreme and I also didn't see her turning her looking behind her. Her eyes did look to the side a couple of times but you can hear doors clanging and voices. It appeared that she was just looking at whoever was walking outside of where she was. JMO I did find it interesting that the message from Mike was that she could talk about anything.

Don't misunderstand - I am saying Casey didn't lose her car/house keys, she lost her child. Why lie to the police about details as important as where you were when your child disappeared.

I didn't misunderstand you, I got the sarcasm. who knows why she lied, maybe fear or distrust?

If the person who started this thread would copy what I transcribed and paste it in the first post here, it would probably be very helpful to the thread. :)

Geraldo: Now everybody hopes that it is not true but realistically, what are the chances that little Caylee Anthony, the Orlando, FL 3 year old, now three year old that has been missing for more than two months is still alive? Before we explore the possibility and get some surprising reaction from the cops, and I think surprising to Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez. I want to begin asking that question of JB, he's the mother's attorney. He joins me from outside his client's home. Good to see you. Do you believe, Caylee Anthony, this child is alive and if you do, do you believe as apparently the grandma does, Cindy Anthony Does, that the child has been in some way, kidnapped?

JB: The answer to your first question is absolutely. We do believe she's alive. And we most importantly believe that the police should be out there looking for her and until they find her or give us proof otherwise, we're going to err on the side that she's alive and we really do believe she's alive.

Ger: But would you, Jose, and you know I respect you as an attorney, would you allow your client tonight talk to the authorities and tell the authorities really what went down to help them in their quest that we all want to be successfully concluded?

JB: Everything that - first of all, the police if they want to come and have access to my client, I have already given them an open invitation and this has been a long standing and I have willing to allow open communication between police and my client so long as it's in the search for Caylee. But the problem is here is that we don't feel that there is a sincere effort that actually searching for Caylee. All they are doing seems to be is prosecuting Casey and that is not the way a missing child case should be laid out. Ok, yes, I can understand the suspicion, however, they still have a missing child and there is no suspicion, they still have a missing child and this sets a bad precedent for the missing children to okay once you focus in on what you call a person of interest, even though you don't have any evidence, so lets just call off the search and let's see what can turn up at that point. That's not the way that things should be done.

GR: Now, Casey is obviously in the building, in the parents' home behind you. You spent 7 hours together on Friday. How are things going? Are you gleening any information out of her that could be helpful or are you, as some contend, concentrating on her defense charges?

JB: No, everything we're doing is towards the search for Caylee. What we are focusing in on is trying to backtrack that might assist us in finding her or finding those responsible of having her and passing that on to law enforcement.

GR: I want you to stand by because I have law enforcement coming up on the other side of the commercial break. I think you'll be surprised with some of what the captain of the police department has to say and maybe it's all rhetoric, maybe from both sides; I don't know; but there are....... Can we run the investigation?

Captain Nieves of the Orange County Sheriff's Department

GR: Captain Nieves, first of all, I have to ask you the big money question. Do you believe that this child is alive or dead?

CN: We believe she's alive. We're still working under the premise like we did the first day when we started this investigation. To look at all of the information that we are receiving, try and find the whereabouts of Caylee and establish her well-being. Of course, during that process, receiving the information that we have, from the initial reporter which was Casey, we have to follow the evidence where it leads us.

GR: Do you have any evidence that Caylee is alive? Other than what Casey told you?

CN: Well, at this point, we don't have any information provided to us that leads us to believe otherwise. We believe that she's still out there. That she can be found. If anyone provides us any information. But again, the information we're receiving, the evidence, the follow up that our detectives are conducting with the assistance of the FBI lab as long with the Federal Department of Law Enforcement and their crime analysis folks, receiving all of those tips of information, we have not been able to establish her well being.

GR: I really want to get this point nailed down. You not only believe that it's a possibility that she's alive, you're telling me that there is no evidence to the contrary?

CN: We're letting the evidence lead us to a conclusion. What we will continue to do is follow up on all of the information. Again, the sheriff's office will exhaust all means to try and make a determination as to where the child is, where she has been and again the key to that information is working with Casey. She is currently out on bond and we stand ready to receive any information that will help us on that end.

GR: Have you been frustrated by your relationship with the defendent in the child neglect case, Casey Anthony?

CN: It's definitely frustrating for our investigators. They put a lot of time, a lot of effort and will continue to do so. Again, we have the assistant of the the FBI Fed Dep of LE and again, we are standing ready as we were on day one to marshall anything that is necessary; any units, any personnel once we receive the information that will put us on the right track from Mr. Baez or Casey Anthony.

GR: As you sit there tonight, is there any plan to bring additional charges against Casey Anthony?

CN: Again, at this point, our detectives are continuing to look at everything. They're going to look at the entire picture. All of the information that has been provided to us and depending on where the evidence leads us, that will determined at a future date.

Talking Head Judge: Ok, number one, this is a department that has held it very close to the vest. They have not talked. They are out talking now. That tells me that the forensic anthropology that they expected to come back that would tell us the state of decomposition based upon the air in the trunk and whether the baby was actually dead didn't come back the way that they wanted it to. Number two, they're not quite sure that they have a homicide case. They don't want her to look like a suspect. But they're backtracking here and they're talking for the first time. Something's going on.

Talking Head Prosecutor: (In regards to taking it to trial on child neglect and not murder) Yes, they're going to be pushed on that issue. It's bad timing. They expected two weeks ago to have the goods, have the forensics back. They're in a tough spot. They didn't get enough so now they're recircling this thing, saying maybe we should reexamine what she's been saying from the beginning. But the campaign of disinformation from her hasn't helped at all. All lies.

GR: Jose, he referred to you very specifically, you know we hold you in high regard as an attorney. You got a defense to mount on lying to the authorities and child neglect. How are you going to balance that responsibility with the desperate need for your client to cooperate with the authorities to find this child, if the child exists?

JB: Well, we're going to do everything we can at the moment. And we're not going to sit back and take a reactive role like the police are. We're actually taking a proactive role and we're going out there and trying to find her. So we're trying to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together. It's difficult with all of the resources that we don't have that police have but we're not going to sit back and wait for tips to go follow up on them. We're going to go out there and try and follow up on them immediately rather than waiting for a month or so to go by before we actually talk to people who say they have spotted Caylee. It's very frustrating on our part but we are going to move forward the best we can. And quite frankly, that's all we can do.

GR: And you'll be on trial by January 9, 2009 according to the constitution of the state of FL. Leonard Padilla (and some pleasantries)

LP: I'm not a bail bondsman.

GR: As I talk to you, I'm going to show our exclusive interview that shows the tour of the RV (paraphrased). What happens to your money if Casey IS indicted for murder?

LP: That's not the problem. What we're in the process of doing right now is ordering a 2500 ping service. That will give us where she was every 2 minutes between the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th.

GR: How are you going to do that? How are you going to get that? What is that?

LP: You order it. You pay for the service, they give you the ping and it follows her cell phone every two minutes for the 5 days we are interested in. 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th. Okay? Just like the law enforcement pinged the airport, we're goign to ping her for 5 days except for when she was in bed asleep. It gives you a trail of who she met.

GR: Who's side is LP on, Jose?

LP: I'm on my side. I'm not on his side. He's a defense attorney. I can't even talk to his client. But it will give us the 5 peoples' activities who met with her. Amy, Ricardo, JP, her boyfriend and we will track the cell phone. Probably even to the pizza shop where she ordered the pizza on the night of the 19th. But we're interested in who was holding the child, where she dropped the child off until they got her up to where we believe is in New York (Can anyone else here this? Did he really say NY?)

GR: Makes sense to me Judge.

Argument here because LP was interrupted.

LP: They have 5 days to in which to bring her back or we're going to go out there and find the child actively.

GR: You are going to give Casey Anthony 5 days to bring the kid back or you are going to go after.........

LP: No, I don't care about her. The people who are holding her. They aren't holding her against her will. She knows who she passed the baby off too and it was a voluntary situation. Doesn't have anything to do with a kidnapping.

GR: Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go.

Kim Guilfoyle and Jeanine Pirro don't follow anyone's lead, imo. Both women are very astute and were only basing their opinions on what appeared to be the news, spun by Geraldo, that Captain Nieves was "reassesing" his view of the case, which I do not believe he was doing at all.

Same thing here. He asked what they thought - they gave the answers. JMO.

I have to remind everyone that the unfortunate truth is police investigations do not go the way they look on TV programs. My mother-in-law was murdered 4 years ago. The police bungled the investigation like you wouldn't believe. It took them days or weeks to get around to investigating, impounding, confinscating really important evidence, even though this things were being pointed out to them. Often times said evidence had already been destroyed or contaminated by the time they got to it. I've often thought what a shame it is that more homicide investigators are not women. Love men, but lets face it, they think very differently than women and can be really dense. anyone that lives with one knows!!! The only reason we found my mother-in-laws body after we had sent male police to the home with NO RESULTS, we finally got hold of a female officer who "got it", went back to the home and found her body hidden. So not surprising to me that these guys forgot to look at the car for a couple of days.
I am SO sorry that you had to get this experience first hand. Thank you for sharing with us. There was a local case here last year where a woman was killed in a car crash and she ended up on the floor on the passenger side under an airbag. None of the first responders noticed her there and she was towed off with the car to remain in the towyard for 36ish hours!

But your point further illustrates why we can't come down on Cindy for washing the pants. If LE didn't even follow up on what was important immediately, how can the regular Joe expect to know more and do better?
She had no reason to think the car was important to the investigation. The smell was reported, the officers came and checked it out and left!

But your point further illustrates why we can't come down on Cindy for washing the pants. If LE didn't even follow up on what was important immediately, how can the regular Joe expect to know more and do better?
She had no reason to think the car was important to the investigation. The smell was reported, the officers came and checked it out and left!

She had already stated on record that the car smelled like a dead body. Her gdaughter was missing. She later said she did it with the blessing of LE. LE said they were not informed she had done this until 8-4 or 8-5. She said the car smelled of a dead body when she was worried about her GD's whereabouts. How could she not know not to wash the pants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway