Germanwings Airbus crash 24 March #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I will toss out and probably someone knows the answer. Could it be possible that there was some sort of malfunction in the plane's electrical system that could have kept the cockpit door from opening and also would have messed up the autopilot? Not likely probably. That wouldn't explain his not saying anything.
Just listening to radio coverage- the co-pilot's home is now being searched by German authorities. They will dump his computer for sure.

JMO-I'm not sure what was confusing about my post. Yes, I believe they should be given that option to go if at all possible. My read on the NY Times article is that they will be offered that that opportunity.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/w...on-recovery-efforts-in-germanwings-crash.html

"residents here also prepared to receive the victims’ families. Hundreds of the relatives are expected to descend on the valley, said Francis Hermitte, the mayor."

Being in the valley and being at the crash site are not the same thing.

Of course they should be allowed to visit the valley near where their loved ones have perished.

I think we were talking about them being allowed onto (or within clear sight of) the crash site which would be both hugely traumatic and potentially hamper the accident investigation and recovery of body parts.

It would also probably be logistically impossible due to the terrain and difficult access.

I am confident the authorities will be able to manage this appropriately. I'm sure their first priority will be safety, and a close second will be sensitivity.

bbm I'm sure they will, but I say no one will be allowed on the mountain at the crash site.

Being in the valley and being at the crash site are not the same thing.

Of course they should be allowed to visit the valley near where their loved ones have perished.

I think we were talking about them being allowed onto (or within clear sight of) the crash site which would be both hugely traumatic and potentially hamper the accident investigation and recovery of body parts.

Maybe I should have been more clear. It would be absurd to drop family members directly into a crash site. I understand the wish for some to be nearby, and share that experience with other survivors.

"The British baby who was the youngest victim of the Alps plane crash has been pictured for the first time - being cuddled by his mother who also died in the tragedy.

Little Julian Pracz-Bandres, who was just seven months old, was flying back from Spain with his mother, Marina Bandres, when the disaster unfolded.

A photo released by Ms Bandres's family in Spain shows her smiling with joy as she clutches her young son to her cheek.

Blue-eyed Julian, who shows the first signs of hair growing from his head, is wearing a turquoise baby grow in the photo.

2703B58400000578-0-image-a-26_1427376087300.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-4U-9525-s-youngest-victim.html#ixzz3VV3XWYrn

R.I.P Little angel and his mum

Spohr is asked whether Germanwings or Lufthansa protocols provide for a second member of the flight crew to be in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves. He says that the company does not have such a protocol, that European regulations do not require it, and that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure.

Asked by the New York Times whether the pilot did anything wrong by leaving the cockpit, Spohr said that he did not.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...tigation-press-conference-live-updates-4u9525

bbm I'm sure they will, but I say no one will be allowed on the mountain at the crash site.

JMO-As I've said, I think it's absurd to even think this would happen. It wouldn't. They aren't going to be dropping family members into a crash site.

CEO of Lufthansa (Carsten Spohr): "Not Suicide" to kill 149 people. From CNN 10:06AM

To get into the cockpit, one normally needs to request access and is visible via a camera feed or through a peephole.

If there is no response, a member of the flight crew can tap in an emergency code. If there is still no response, the door opens automatically.

If a person has been denied access, the door remains locked for five minutes, according to the training video.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0770d8-d38c-11e4-a62f-ee745911a4ff_story.html

Video explaining cockpit door operation.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32062996

Just trying to grasp everything since waking up. smh

USA TODAY ‏@USATODAY · 21m21 minutes ago
CEO of #GermanWings parent company says it does annual medical checks but does not do psychological examinations.

CEO just did a great job in presser, IMO. Honest. Answered all.

The CEO mentioned testing, could have been to determine acceptance to the training program (I didn't hear this part clearly). Anyone?

As an aside, a German exchange student who stayed with us took some sort of test and was rejected as a candidate. As I understand, this test can only be taken once and the rejection is permanent. Could this bee a psychological testing?

I'm absolutely disgusted at the new developments. I just can't even believe it. To me, it's not suicide, it's murder. He deliberately murdered all of those people. I can't even fathom how someone can do that. RIP all on board.

I feel this is "employer"/ employee revenge deal,

Some history:

March 17 2015

The labor issues have significantly impacted Lufthansa’s operations and its earnings during a time when the carrier is also facing substantial obstacles from outside the company.

Deutsche Lufthansa AG faces its 12th strike by pilots over retirement benefits despite concessions in a conflict that has hurt earnings at Europe’s second-largest airline.

The Vereinigung Cockpit pilots union has asked Lufthansa cockpit crews on short- and medium-haul flights to walk out for the day on Wednesday for the second strike this year, after 10 in 2014. While the union said in a statement that the company’s Germanwings and Eurowings units aren’t affected, Lufthansa said that Germanwings flights would suffer.

On the strike day, Lufthansa plans to operate “a large proportion” of approximately 3,000 flights it has scheduled, the Cologne, Germany-based airline said in a statement. Lufthansa said it made concessions in past days, suggesting pilots will still be able to retire at 55, as well as offering to expand the main Lufthansa brand operations with associated benefits in a move that would add about 500 cockpit jobs.
The conflict cut Lufthansa’s operating profit by about 220 million euros ($233 million) in 2014 and contributed to Carsten Spohr lowering financial targets twice in his first year as chief executive officer. While the strike is only targeting retirement programs, the pilots also oppose Lufthansa cutting cockpit costs by moving flights to its Eurowings brand and its SunExpress joint venture.

The union said it won’t accept younger pilots having to agree to early retirement benefits that are “noticeably worse” than those paid to longer-serving ones.

http://skift.com/2015/03/17/lufthansa-faces-12th-pilot-strike-as-benefits-fight-persists/

Pilots at Lufthansa's budget airline, Germanwings, started a two-day strike on Thursday
as German pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) seeks to put pressure on management in a long-running row over pay and conditions.

Germanwings, which runs short-haul flights in Europe, said on Wednesday it expected to operate more than 60 percent of the 900 flights normally scheduled over the strike period by using volunteer pilots or chartering planes from other airlines.

The row between pilots and management concerns early retirement benefits that Lufthansa wants to change for new starters.

The pilots oppose the way Lufthansa is pushing through the expansion, by using a small business that is not subject to the same collective labor agreements as pilots at its Lufthansa and Germanwings units.

Like rival Air France-KLM, Lufthansa wants to increase low-cost operations to win back market share lost to the likes of Ryanair and easyJet, which are expanding in its home market.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/r-pi...gs-begin-two-day-walkout-2015-2#ixzz3VV8gKebq

German airlines Lufthansa and Germanwings will be hit by a new 24-hour walkout by pilots on Wednesday (Mar 18), grounding short- and medium-haul flights across Germany, unions and management said.

a long-running dispute over early retirement provisions.

Cockpit had originally said the industrial action would only affect Lufthansa itself and not its Germanwings and Eurowings subsidiaries. But Lufthansa said in a separate statement that flights operated by Germanwings would indeed be affected.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/lufthansa-germanwings/1722294.html

CEO also said that after break in co pilots training, he had to be retested to resume training. But mental testing not a required by airline or German Ministry. Medical and all other tests, co pilot passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member