Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

A Sky News article about today ..
Again at least that CB told him about the elderly woman. That’s I think the most important thing he was there today. Glad that at least some papers mention it

Thursday, Sept. 26th:
*Trial continues (Day 32) (@ 9am CET) – Germany/Portugal - Hazel Behan (20 @ time/now 40) (in her home, June 16, 2004, Praia de Rocha on the Algarve coast, 10 miles from Praia de Luz, Portimao, Portugal) - *Christian Stefan Brückner (Bruekner) (27 @ time of 1st crime (2004)/45/now 47) charged (Oct. 11, 2022) with sexual assault (suspect held a knife & brutally raped her. The accused then tied & gagged the woman to a table & raped her again. He then whipped the victim on the back with a whip he had brought with him & finally forcibly performed oral sex with the victim. The accused filmed large parts of the events with a video camera he had brought with him). Braunschweig Regional District Court
Germany/Portugal – *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 - a 14 year old teenager (unknown victim) (on tape: assaulted/hit the naked girl with a whip. Said to have brutally forced the girl to have oral sex. The accused also videotaped this act). Took place between Dec. 28, 2000 to April 8, 2006 on the Praia da Luz, Algarve coast, Portugal.Germany/Portugal - *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 - an elderly woman 70-80 yrs old (unknown victim) a Tour Rep (tied up & raped the victim in her holiday apt. He then hit the victim several times with a whip. The accused is said to have recorded the entire event with a video camera). Took place around the same time (between Dec. 28, 2000 to April 8, 2006) on the Praia de Luz, Algarve coast, Portugal.
Germany/Portugal – *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 - 10 year old German girl (Joana E.) (wearing only shoes & otherwise naked. He grabbed the child's wrist & began to perform masturbation movements on his naked penis). On Salema (Zalema) beach, near Praia de Luz, Portugal, April 7, 2007).
Germany/Portugal – *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 – Ines VP (11 year old Portuguese girl) (pulled down his trousers & underpants & made masturbation movements on his naked penis in order to sexually arouse himself, until the frightened girl ran to her father for help. The suspect was arrested on the spot by the Portuguese police). Exposed himself in playpark, São Bartolomeu de Messines, June 11, 2017).
Trial began on February 16, 2024. (And continued on Feb. 23rd, Mar. 1st & 14th, Apr. 2nd, 10th, 12th, 17th, 19th, 24th & 26th, May 2nd, 15th, 166th, 17th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 28th, 29th & June 4th & 5th & 28th, July 5th, August 5th, 15th, Sept. 5th & 6th).
Next Trial dates: Sept 26, 27, Oct. 2, 7, 8, 21 & Oct. 22, 2024.
Presiding Judge Dr. Engemann. Lead Prosecutor Ute Lindermann. Defense attorneys Dr. Friedrich Fülscher, Philipp Marquort, Dennis Bock & Atilla Aykac.
Brueckner is currently serving a 7 year sentence for the 2005 rape on a pensioner; was sentenced in 2019. Release in Spring or Summer of 2026.

Case info & charges & Brueckner info from June 1, 2020 thru Jan. 18, 2024 & Trial Day 1-30 (Feb. 16 thru Sept. 6) reference post #116 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...rimes-praia-de-rocha-portugal-5.722126/page-6

September 25, 2024. Wednesday, Day 31: It was the first time images of missing Madeleine have been screened in Brueckner’s ongoing trial on unconnected sex crimes. Today images & photos of the tragic tot were dramatically screened in Braunschweig court. They included the last snaps taken of Madeleine on her family’s fateful holiday to Praia da Luz. The footage was from an episode of the German equivalent of Crimewatch, which aired in June 2020. It also included a reconstruction of the night Madeleine vanished and an interview with her parents Kate & Gerry McCann, from Rothley, Leics. Brueckner sat with his hand covering his mouth & stared at the screen as it was played in court. His lawyer Friedrich Fuelscher had requested the episode was played to highlight inconsistencies in witness statements. The trial judge, Ute Engemann, has previously tried to avoid any mention of Madeleine in the trial. Witesses: Brueckner’s former cellmate [in 2020] Laurentiu Codin told a court today that the German confessed to abducting a child in Portugal. The next continuation date is scheduled for Thursday, September 26, 2024, @ 9am.
For more info see posts #117 [pg 6] & 128 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...rimes-praia-de-rocha-portugal-5.722126/page-7

Totally different prison. He was in Sehnde not Wolfenbüttel
Maybe so but a story emerged about a plant trying to get a confession, lo and behold a witness who was allegedly in prison with CB comes out with a tale of a confession, some coincidence by any stretch of the imagination.

Again at least that CB told him about the elderly woman. That’s I think the most important thing he was there today. Glad that at least some papers mention it
Well somebody did, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Which may be why CB has not been charged relative to MM -- prosecutors waiting to see how the evidence plays out in this trial before teeing up for the next one.

And it might well be spoilt fruit and without it, a hard case to prosecute. But that doesn't preclude it from explaining what happened to MM.

Which follows his history, prurient interests included. Intended burglarly shifts to child abduction. Her parents have perhaps been given enough evidence to presume MM's tragic fate, but not enough to clear the legal bar.

The one thing CB seems to have perfected was stealth. Quintessential cat burglar. With a criminal sexual drive.

JMO
No, what precludes it from explaining what happened to MM is that it doesn’t explain what happened to MM.

If the current trial is the same as the MM investigation, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no more evidence than what we already know.

Why should we continue to believe the prosecutors? What makes anyone still think CB is responsible for MM’s disappearance?

No, what precludes it from explaining what happened to MM is that it doesn’t explain what happened to MM.

If the current trial is the same as the MM investigation, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no more evidence than what we already know.

Why should we continue to believe the prosecutors? What makes anyone still think CB is responsible for MM’s disappearance?
There can be a vast difference between innocent and innocent-until-proven-guilty in a cases where guilt isn't proven. Just as innocent people can be found guilty, guilty people sometimes walk free.

I am neither a judge nor a juror so I'm free to weigh and speculate. I believe that CB is guilty of some pretty awful things. Chronic burglary and unthinkable SA. And while evidence might be lacking or obtained spuriously, it doesn't IMO erase his culpability.

Whether he can be tried and found guilty of all his crimes, that remains to be seen.

I find it credible that he was in the vicinity of the resort, that he was a burglar at the time and that MM could have been abducted in the course of burglary, simply walked away from the scene, hidden away in a compartment in his campervan, driven away from the scene without his travel mate knowing, kept at a location for days before being murdered, after unthinkable torture. Hype? No. There's only one reason a man abducts a young girl. And I believe CB to have an especial proclivity for supremely violent SA.

Proof. That's high standard. I do think there is linkage. Stacked evidence. Possibly a photograph from which conclusions can be drawn. Dire.

Legal standard? Maybe not. But possibly a civil suit.

JMO

How is today's trial progressing.

Is there any indication that the Braunschweig judges will continue with their remit and resume the trial of CB for five serious sexual offences.

Surely discussion of the MM case cannot be either continued or tolerated.
My opinion

Last edited:
I agree with your opinion of LC's testimony. Hopefully the judge will strike out his evidence as it bears little relation to the cases currently being tried. Who is the creator of all this

I think its highly unlikely that the BKA do not have evidence that proves Maddie was murdered and their difficulty is linking it to CB

Mirror.

A Madeleine McCann detective has dismissed explosive evidence given by a former cellmate of prime suspect Christian Brueckner.

Laurentiu Codin sensationally claimed on Wednesday that the German had admitted snatching a girl from her Algarve holiday apartment. The 50-year-old also accused Brueckner of confessing to abducting and raping young girls in the city of Hannover.

Codin was interviewed by officers from Germany’s BKA - the equivalent of the FBI - in Braunschweig jail in August 2020. A jail informant is believed to have told cops that he had grown close to Brueckner behind bars while they were on remand.

Detective Niko Mueller told a court Codin made no mention of Brueckner allegedly snatching children during the four-hour interview. He also dismissed claims by Codin that Brueckner had admitted previously raping young girls on a bus he owned.
Asked by Judge Ute Engemann if abducting children in Portugal was mentioned in the interview, he replied: “No. Nothing like this was reported to me. The first time I heard this was in today’s press reports.” And asked about claims Brueckner snatched a young girl from her bike and raped her, he said: “He did not tell me that.”

But Det Mueller, 35, did confirm Codin claimed Brueckner asked if DNA could be obtained from bones buried in the earth. He also revealed Codin told him Brueckner wanted to obtain a false passport to return to Portugal and bragged about raping women.

But his rubbishing of the child abduction claims damages the credibility of Codin, who refused to say what he was jailed for. Brueckner, 47, is on trial in Braunschweig accused of carrying out crimes in the Algarve between 2000 and 2017.

They include the alleged rape of Irish tour rep Hazel Behan, who was attacked in her apartment Praia da Rocha in 2004. Brueckner is also accused of raping a teenage girl in his Praia da Luz home and raping an elderly woman in her holiday apartment.

He also faces a child sex charge for allegedly exposing himself to a German girl on a beach in Salema in April 2007. His final charge relates to an alleged indecent exposure in front of an 11-year-old in 2017.

Prosecutors appear no closer to proving he was behind Madeleine’s disappearance - despite claiming they have proof she is dead. They face the nightmare scenario of seeing their prime suspect walk free if he is cleared in the latest trial.

If Brueckner is found not guilty, he could be freed from prison in the early part of next year. A not guilty verdict would increase the pressure on them to charge Brueckner over Madeleine’s disappearance. The trial is due to end in December.

Detective Niko Mueller told a court Codin made no mention of Brueckner allegedly snatching children during the four-hour interview. He also dismissed claims by Codin that Brueckner had admitted previously raping young girls on a bus he owned. Asked by Judge Ute Engemann if abducting children in Portugal was mentioned in the interview, he replied: “No. Nothing like this was reported to me. The first time I heard this was in today’s press reports.” And asked about claims Brueckner snatched a young girl from her bike and raped her, he said: “He did not tell me that.”

So this is yet again the Prosecution wasting the court's time?

So this is yet again the Prosecution wasting the court's time?
Is it even their fault if the BKA hadnt heard about his new claims? What I don't understand though is the Judge didnt originally think his evidence was needed so why did the prosecutor press so hard for his "evidence" to be included for it just be some new evidence. It is weird.

Mirror.

A Madeleine McCann detective has dismissed explosive evidence given by a former cellmate of prime suspect Christian Brueckner.

Laurentiu Codin sensationally claimed on Wednesday that the German had admitted snatching a girl from her Algarve holiday apartment. The 50-year-old also accused Brueckner of confessing to abducting and raping young girls in the city of Hannover.

Codin was interviewed by officers from Germany’s BKA - the equivalent of the FBI - in Braunschweig jail in August 2020. A jail informant is believed to have told cops that he had grown close to Brueckner behind bars while they were on remand.

Detective Niko Mueller told a court Codin made no mention of Brueckner allegedly snatching children during the four-hour interview. He also dismissed claims by Codin that Brueckner had admitted previously raping young girls on a bus he owned.
Asked by Judge Ute Engemann if abducting children in Portugal was mentioned in the interview, he replied: “No. Nothing like this was reported to me. The first time I heard this was in today’s press reports.” And asked about claims Brueckner snatched a young girl from her bike and raped her, he said: “He did not tell me that.”

But Det Mueller, 35, did confirm Codin claimed Brueckner asked if DNA could be obtained from bones buried in the earth. He also revealed Codin told him Brueckner wanted to obtain a false passport to return to Portugal and bragged about raping women.

But his rubbishing of the child abduction claims damages the credibility of Codin, who refused to say what he was jailed for. Brueckner, 47, is on trial in Braunschweig accused of carrying out crimes in the Algarve between 2000 and 2017.

They include the alleged rape of Irish tour rep Hazel Behan, who was attacked in her apartment Praia da Rocha in 2004. Brueckner is also accused of raping a teenage girl in his Praia da Luz home and raping an elderly woman in her holiday apartment.

He also faces a child sex charge for allegedly exposing himself to a German girl on a beach in Salema in April 2007. His final charge relates to an alleged indecent exposure in front of an 11-year-old in 2017.

Prosecutors appear no closer to proving he was behind Madeleine’s disappearance - despite claiming they have proof she is dead. They face the nightmare scenario of seeing their prime suspect walk free if he is cleared in the latest trial.

If Brueckner is found not guilty, he could be freed from prison in the early part of next year. A not guilty verdict would increase the pressure on them to charge Brueckner over Madeleine’s disappearance. The trial is due to end in December.

Thankyou
Yet another two days added onto an already long drawn out trial :(

Even if this person's testimony had been accurate, it was totally irrelevant to the business in hand and ought to have been handed over to the authorities still working on the active MM case.

Why was this person allowed to
  • disrupt the trial proceedings for two days
  • as well as being allowed to ramble on about an active case still under police investigation
At the least, as soon as the direction the witness was taking became evident anything further should have been conducted in camera - if at all.
My opinion

Is it even their fault if the BKA hadnt heard about his new claims? What I don't understand though is the Judge didnt originally think his evidence was needed so why did the prosecutor press so hard for his "evidence" to be included for it just be some new evidence. It is weird.
Take out the taking of a child bit, what did his evidence actually reveal?

But why would the prosecution not know/be aware of the content of the interview with LC in 2020, conducted by a BKA detective?? Where's the due diligence here?? Why did the judge not have this (2020) interview to hand? Why was LC not questioned about the discrepancies between what he said then and what he said yesterday when he was giving evidence?
All it tells me, yet again, is that the prosecuting left hand hasn't an effing clue what the right hand is doing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back