Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein confidante, arrested on Sex Abuse charges, July 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The MDC rolled out the orange carpet for Maxwell’s defense team Friday, allowing them what sources said was the first in-person federal jail visit in the city since the start of the corona virus pandemic.

While the Bureau of Prisons declined to answer whether she was the first federal inmate in NY to receive a visit, they said, “While, in general, legal visits are suspended, … We are facilitating attorney client-visitation, as well as judicial proceedings, via video conference, primarily at our detention centers.”

A Brooklyn Federal Court lawsuit over legal visits at the MDC indicates that as of last week in-person meetings had not yet resumed. A lawyer involved in the suit over attorney-client access, believed Maxwell was the first to receive a legal visit. He said, “It’s frankly outrageous. It’s also colossally stupid. The reaction is entirely predictable. There’s two systems of justice: One for friends of the President, one for everyone else”. Another lawyer with clients at the MDC who could face the death penalty said, “I’m incredulous really that she was the first one when there are those of us who have been waiting for nearly six months to have an in-person visit with our clients. It’s heartbreaking, actually.”

Madam Maxwell has been behind bars for less than two months and was permitted to have two of her lawyers visit for nearly four hours.

Ghislaine Maxwell is first federal inmate in NYC to receive in-person visit since start of pandemic: sources

If that doesn’t grind your gears, the next bits certainly will.

* She has a whole jail floor to herself.

* Before she arrived, other women inmates had to clean and polish the floor three times so it would be ready for her.

* She also gets an extra hour of recreation time a day. During her rec time, the other women are locked out of the recreation area and they can see her jogging in the outdoor space.

Animal Farm is alive and well at the MDC.

Good points.

My guess is she has some high power lawyers who are using that big lever called ... "innocent until proven guilty"

Plus a warning to the jailers to clean and sanitize her cell and keep her separate from other inmates because if she is exposed to COVID19 she will sue them

And if she died in jail from COVID19 or other causes the lawyers will threaten to charge the jailers with manslaughter.

We could do the same if we had 100k to pay a lawyer for such a letter.

Nevertheless , we can be sure that this is the first time in her life she has had to live in such lowly circumstances , and she is not enjoying it one bit .... even though the concrete jail floors have been impeccably cleaned ... hehe

Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports

·
1h

NEW: The U.S. Virgin Islands government wants to intervene in the civil lawsuit against Ghislaine Maxwell to obtain records of interest to their Criminally Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (CICO) action against Jeffrey Epstein's estate.
@CourthouseNews
Eg24_mLXsAIVGmp

Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports

·
1h

The Virgin Islands filed its first enforcement actions against Jeffrey Epstein's estate and entities earlier this year, alleging human trafficking in its territory: https://rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/jeffrey-epstein-virgin-islands-lawsuit-denise-george-939366/… This Virgin Islands' doc spills that fight over to New York Fed: https://documentcloud.org/documents/7072475-U-S-Virgin-Islands-Epstein-enterprise-CICO-9-1.html

Good points.

My guess is she has some high power lawyers who are using that big lever called ... "innocent until proven guilty"

Plus a warning to the jailers to clean and sanitize her cell and keep her separate from other inmates because if she is exposed to COVID19 she will sue them

And if she died in jail from COVID19 or other causes the lawyers will threaten to charge the jailers with manslaughter.

We could do the same if we had 100k to pay a lawyer for such a letter.

Nevertheless , we can be sure that this is the first time in her life she has had to live in such lowly circumstances , and she is not enjoying it one bit .... even though the concrete jail floors have been impeccably cleaned ... hehe

In her eyes I’m sure she sees it as having a Disney Day. MOO.

The attorney general of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Denise George, who has accused the Epstein estate of being an ongoing criminal enterprise, asked a federal judge Tuesday to grant her intervention in order to review sealed court testimony given by Maxwell.

The AG wants a look at the transcript now, especially if the appeals court keeps it secret, because Epstein lived on Little St. James Cay, allegedly obtained tax breaks in the Virgin Islands through fraud and committed sex crimes there. He did so, George maintains, through the help of lawyers and accountants who are settling his estate there but are part of what she alleges is a crime group.

In the 14-page filing, George alleges that Epstein “used his vast wealth and property holdings and a deliberately opaque web of corporations and companies to transport young woman and girls to his privately owned island, where they were held captive and subject to severe and extensive sexual abuse.”

The filing further alleges the women and girls were lured to the island with promises of modeling and career opportunities but instead were held captive and sexually abused and exploited. George cited the example of a 15-year-old girl whose passport was seized by Epstein to prevent her from leaving the Virgin Islands.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article245422100.html

Epstein and Maxwell are accused of using a secret log cabin to meet an underage victim in the grounds of a boarding school. FBI agents have quizzed an unnamed woman, known only as Jane Doe, who claims she first met them at the log cabin at Interlochen Centre for the Arts in Michigan when she was aged 13.

The alleged victim is now suing JE's estate for more than £19million [$25 million] in compensation.

In court papers Jane Doe alleges she was recruited by the pair in the summer of 1994 at the Interlochen fine arts academy when she was a music student there. She states that after meeting JE there he "started to slowly display his paedophilic ways when shopping with Doe and Maxwell". She claims he sexually abused her on multiple occasions over the next four years and that Maxwell "regularly facilitated Epstein's abuse" and was "frequently present when it occurred".

She also claims she was then flown across the US to be abused by the pair at his mansions in Palm Beach and New York and his New Mexico ranch.

Epstein's connection to the school dates as far back as 1967 when he attended a music camp there as a young teen.

Jeffrey Epstein kept secret lair at boarding school 'to meet underage victim'

More on this story:

PICTURED: Jeffrey Epstein's cabin near Michigan arts academy where he 'recruited underaged victim' | Daily Mail Online

Ghislaine Maxwell vs. Estate Of Jeffrey E. Epstein (ST-20-CV-155)
The Estate of Jeffrey E. Epstein (Case No. ST-19-PB-80)
Government of the United States Virgin Islands v. Estate of Jeffrey E. Epstein (ST-20-CV-14)

Judicial Branch of the Virgin Islands:
Cases of Interest

Wow, thank you! Just read two lines on one motion (I'm on my phone) - Epstein promised 14 years ago to support G financially forever? Looks like it's gonna be a good read. I'm off to get on my laptop!

Federal prosecutors pursuing the criminal case against Maxwell in NYare asking a judge to temporarily halt proceedings in a civil lawsuit filed by an alleged child sex-abuse victim against Maxwell and the estate of the late sex-offender Jeffrey Epstein, arguing that there is a "significant risk" that proceeding with the case "would adversely affect the ongoing criminal prosecution against Maxwell."

In a letter posted to the court docket of the civil case this week, prosecutors from the SDNY asserted that there is a "factual overlap between the civil and criminal cases" that could result in premature disclosure of evidence and testimony from witnesses who may be called upon in both cases.

"Such witnesses may be forced to testify about any efforts to assist the criminal investigation and prosecution, and may thereby expose facts about the investigation ... and could potentially expose witnesses and/or their families to harassment," the government's letter states. "Moreover, permitting any discovery to proceed in this lawsuit would enable Maxwell to seek a preview of trial testimony in the criminal case, and would afford her with a broader array of discovery than she is entitled to in the criminal case."

Feds seek halt to civil lawsuit against Ghislaine Maxwell

Federal prosecutors pursuing the criminal case against Maxwell in NYare asking a judge to temporarily halt proceedings in a civil lawsuit filed by an alleged child sex-abuse victim against Maxwell and the estate of the late sex-offender Jeffrey Epstein, arguing that there is a "significant risk" that proceeding with the case "would adversely affect the ongoing criminal prosecution against Maxwell."

In a letter posted to the court docket of the civil case this week, prosecutors from the SDNY asserted that there is a "factual overlap between the civil and criminal cases" that could result in premature disclosure of evidence and testimony from witnesses who may be called upon in both cases.

"Such witnesses may be forced to testify about any efforts to assist the criminal investigation and prosecution, and may thereby expose facts about the investigation ... and could potentially expose witnesses and/or their families to harassment," the government's letter states. "Moreover, permitting any discovery to proceed in this lawsuit would enable Maxwell to seek a preview of trial testimony in the criminal case, and would afford her with a broader array of discovery than she is entitled to in the criminal case."

Feds seek halt to civil lawsuit against Ghislaine Maxwell

Doesn't the criminal case take priority over the civil?

Doesn't the criminal case take priority over the civil?

Golly gosh you ask some hard questions.:eek: There's further info. after para. 5.

Is the District Court empowered to stay the civil proceedings in favor of the criminal proceedings?

Yes. The Supreme Court has indicated that a district court may stay civil proceedings in favor of a criminal trial "when the interests of justice seem to require such action." ... Because adverse inferences may be drawn in a civil case from the assertion of Fifth Amendment rights, ... the court may stay the civil action until the criminal matter is resolved. ...

[I've deleted the cases cited as they're all to do with Fifth Amendment rights and privileges but they're in the article]

In determining whether a stay is appropriate, courts look to the following factors:

1. the private interests of the plaintiff in the civil litigation without a stay;
2. the interests and burdens on the defendant with a stay;
3. the convenience of the courts;
4. interests of non-parties to the civil litigation; and
5. the public's interest. ... [further case citations]

When a Civil Action Becomes Criminal: Practical Considerations in Concurrent Proceedings - FindLaw

Not being a lawyer, I don't think I can give you a yes or no answer as it's probably discretionary, but I hope this helps.

Golly gosh you ask some hard questions.:eek: There's further info. after para. 5.

Is the District Court empowered to stay the civil proceedings in favor of the criminal proceedings?

Yes. The Supreme Court has indicated that a district court may stay civil proceedings in favor of a criminal trial "when the interests of justice seem to require such action." ... Because adverse inferences may be drawn in a civil case from the assertion of Fifth Amendment rights, ... the court may stay the civil action until the criminal matter is resolved. ...

[I've deleted the cases cited as they're all to do with Fifth Amendment rights and privileges but they're in the article]

In determining whether a stay is appropriate, courts look to the following factors:

1. the private interests of the plaintiff in the civil litigation without a stay;
2. the interests and burdens on the defendant with a stay;
3. the convenience of the courts;
4. interests of non-parties to the civil litigation; and
5. the public's interest. ... [further case citations]

When a Civil Action Becomes Criminal: Practical Considerations in Concurrent Proceedings - FindLaw

Not being a lawyer, I don't think I can give you a yes or no answer as it's probably discretionary, but I hope this helps.

After reading the above article, I'm inclined to say that the civil case will be stayed, since it would benefit all parties except Jane Doe. She may just want it all over already, but what's another year or two or three? Interesting to see that dual civil/criminal cases are quite common.

Epstein's Former Chef is Cooperating with Feds on Sex Ring Investigation

Giuffre: “Even if I was standing naked in front of him, he wouldn’t be there ogling me… he would be looking directly at my face. And we had wonderful moments together.” ...“He saw us all naked, all the time,” Giuffre told Palmeri.

Lang: "...I want to be clear that I never saw sexual activity or nudity and was never aware of underage girls. I was never told of nor saw any of the depraved acts committed by Epstein and his friends. I primarily spent my time in the kitchen. Any account other than this is emphatically untrue.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbw0021