Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wonder when that tidbit was actually given to the police. You see, it was Amber Costello. She and her roomies had conned the "Ogre" type guy by her pretending her "boyfriend" was coming and RH ran out, leaving behind his payment for services not rendered. He called the next day and wanted to remeet, but somewhere other than her place because of the "boyfriend." It was mentioned that Costello and her roomies were into drugs. Also, they were cons and prostitutes. Her roommates did not report her missing. Once the body was discovered and ID'd, naturally, LE interviewed those involved. But do you really believe it's likely they just spilled all the details? Could that have been a new detail that someone finally admitted after the formation of the Taskforce in January 2022 led to lots of follow-up re-interviewing? I can't see Costello's friends just blurting out all that information early on.
IIRC it appears that the roommate lied in his interview that he never saw the killer's vehicle when he came to pick her up. Of course we didn't know about the ruse that he and Amber pulled on him earlier. I still can't understand why she agreed to meet him again without her phone. Probably the drugs situation caused that tragic decision. MOO

Yeah, I wondered about that as well. It reminds me of this other suspect a woman was suspicious of because he had a "time out" doll too, either in his home or his car repair shop.
Having grown up in a conservative religion where all the adult women were obsessed with this kind of folk art and cutesy busywork, it's not really definitive if there happens to be a Time Out doll in his house.

I mean, it SHOULD be an arrestable offense, but then we'd have to arrest just about all the women who I went to church with in the eighties and early nineties whose houses were filled with Time Out dolls, puffer paint and applique decorated tracksuit tops, and decorative plaques painted with bible verses and misshapen flowers. The prisons would be full to overflowing. (I am joking, of course.)

MOO

Last edited:
oh wow, do we know for a fact he had a TIME DOLL at his house, similar to the ones left at the memorials? They are truly creepy dolls.
The picture I saw in an article of the doll being brought out was of what appeared to be a porcelain doll in a glass and wood case, not a Time Out doll, nowhere near.

Here:

MOO

Last edited:
If the murders continued after the discovery of the ‘Gilgo 4’ victims then IMO there is another ‘dumping ground’ somewhere, somewhere further afield and more remote.

This man is dangerous IMO he didn’t just wake up one morning in his late 40’s and decide to become a serial killer. IMO this has been happening since early 30’s at the latest but possibly earlier. The timings of the ‘96-‘97 murders IMO would fit with RH in his mid 30’s. Someone with as warped desires as his search history indicates perhaps targeted young sex workers of small stature, in an attempt to satisfy a desire for child victims. Except missing children attract much more attention, they are noticed to be missing immediately, people are in high alert, their descriptions are everywhere thanks to amber alerts. Abducting and murdering a child carries more risk of being caught.

Unfortunately many sex workers are estranged from their families, or can sometimes go weeks without contacting loved ones. They may have problems with addiction that can cloud judgement and lead to taking risks in order to avoid the distress of withdrawal. If RH was attracted to the idea of a vulnerable victim, he could access easily and have time to cover his tracks before they were noticed to be missing, he could have chosen sex workers out of convenience rather than specifically wanting to harm these women in particular.

Sometimes sexual deviants just want to feed their urges and will select their desired victim at any and all costs. Others will have the awareness of how much risk is involved in targeting specific people such as children, and have to weigh up their options. If Peaches and Baby Doe were an early murder committed to feed a desire for a child, he may have considered it too risky to repeat in the future and then decided to target sex workers instead going forward.

This arrest happening during the suspected killing season, after RH has been under surveillance for some time may have been prompted by investigators believing there was a high risk of him striking again.

All MOO
I'm inclined to agree with your view of him not starting his serial killer career in his 40's. He's been killing for longer than that. There has to be another dumping ground yes. Wonder if any remains will be found on his property, probably not but some trophies will be found there or at his office. MOO

Francesca Gariano
Sat, July 15, 2023 at 3:30 PM CDT

Billy Baldwin shared an apparent connection between himself and Rex Heuermann, the man who was charged in connection with the Gilgo Beach murders.
Baldwin, a Long Island native, said on Twitter July 14 that he and Heuermann were classmates in the graduating class of 1981 at Berner High School in Massapequa, New York.

“Woke up this morning to learn that the Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect was my high school classmate Rex Heuermann,” Baldwin, 60, wrote on social media. “Married, two kids, architect. ‘Average guy… quiet, family man.’ Mind-boggling… Massapequa is in shock.”

There are prob. many in shock who didn't see the evil side of RH ?
So many lives shattered .

Not sure if this helps but they said the hair was degraded and because of this they were unable to do traditional analysis and they had to wait for science to catch up.

"The hairs, found in 2010, were degraded and DNA testing at the time couldn’t yield results. But as technology progressed, mitochondrial DNA testing allowed investigators to make the connection, Tierney explained. The victims’ remains “were out in a tough environment for a prolonged period of time. So, there was not a lot of forensic evidence,” Tierney told CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Friday, and credited the FBI and one of its agents for a “phenomenal job” with extracting the evidence."
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/15/us/gilgo-beach-murders-suspect-arrest-saturday/index.html#:~:text=The hairs, found in 2010,make the connection, Tierney explained.
Yes!! Exactly. that was what I needed to know. I've worked enough with genetic genealogy to be suspicious when the MtDNA is used. However, the time in the elements and the fact that DNA is a new field constantly growing answers all my questions. I was wondering if somehow another person with partially matching DNA might be under suspicion since some places the hair of RH's wife was clearly identified; other times his was and then it switched to MtDNA. Also, the DA mentioned that state law in New York regulated how much he was allowed to say about DNA in a press conference, but that those details are available in the bail application. Which I've located and am leisurely going through.

He painted SOME of the trim green. Where there is that split between the two different pitches of roof, the green stops well before the two sections meet. It looks like he painted what he could standing on a ladder, and then stopped when he couldn't reach rather than climbing onto the roof. Definitely a DIY job.

That makeshift corner post would definitely make me think twice about knocking on the door, that looks... precarious. I wonder if it was done because the original posts were rotted out and it was at risk of collapsing. It's one thing if it's just your porch that's sort of stuck on, but that's under the corner of that whole section of roof, that would be terrible for the whole structure if it gave way.

Hmm, with a cover like that on the bed of the truck, no one would ever see what you were carrying around in there. It would fit a body easily.

MOO
Bolding mine.
I'm assuming LE have impounded all vehicles RH may have driven ?

MOO: Like a competition or, a dark web friend or frenemy, or other. I was thinking this too. Then there was some mention of bludgeoning of Asian Male and I think of the cabinet hammer and I wonder if we are back to one. (MOO) <modsnip - discussing moderation on the thread>

My hope is that *if* there were 2, Rex Heuermann knows who that 2nd person is - and he talks. That is my hope at least. MOO

The proximity of the victims remains seems to close to be coincidental, but can't rule it out. Also relevant is the proximity to Oak Beach, where we know there were residents who hosted parties with sex workers.

Did any of these creeps hang out in some dark part of social media where they swapped stories, etc. We know that happens today, but were they doing that back in the early-mid 2000's?

I'm hoping we learn more about this when Rex H goes to trial. They've just done some major searches last week, so there's likely to be more information forthcoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a primary reason that mitochondrial DNA is used is whenever the root of the hair is not present.

The root has nuclear DNA. Because for 1 nucleus there is at least a thousand mitochondria, they are easier to extract. Now, depending on the mitochondria, their DNA may be either super rare or very common.

There are publications about sequencing DNA from the rootless hair, but with lots of imputations. It is not great for fresh hair, and may be crucial for old hair subjected to elements,

Seems logical that every single search query prosecutors decided to share publicly was done so for a reason, because they try to hold back as much as they can. Many of these search queries, including searching for children, have no obvious direct link to the case of the three women he's accused of murdering. So these details are being shared for ancillary reasons. To generate tips? To let him know they have many more murders yet to pin on him to pressure him to enter plea negotiations? To repulse his wife and daughter in order to get them to cooperate? Just speculating on reasons, but it will become more apparent why they shared what they did as time goes on.
I think his computer searches for young girls were included to tie him to the victims he chose: they were not girls, but they were small. IIRC, 3 of the 4 Gilgo victims were around 4'11" and about 100lbs. They were women, not girls, but they were easily available to him.

jmo

Is anyone else creeped out by how close Rex Heuermann (born 1964), Joel Rifkin (born 1959) and Joseph Shulman (born 1954) lived to each other and were pretty close in age? All killed SWs. What's in the water in that part of LI?

Joseph Shulman address 11 Glow Lane Hicksville
Joel Rifkin address 1492 Garden Street East Meadow
Rex Heuermann address 501 1st avenue Massapequa Park
Wow, I had no clue they lived that close together--that is beyond bizarre! What's in the water indeed-creepy as hell!

IIRC it appears that the roommate lied in his interview that he never saw the killer's vehicle when he came to pick her up. Of course we didn't know about the ruse that he and Amber pulled on him earlier. I still can't understand why she agreed to meet him again without her phone. Probably the drugs situation caused that tragic decision. MOO
Drugs prob. contributed. But don't you think RH played it right, pretending to have no idea it was a scam, leading her to believe he was just a really dumb big guy. And cowardly. Remember he ran and left his money.

Last edited:
Photos from the scene depict two investigators wearing gloves, gingerly handling the doll inside its ornate case. The doll's fair hair, arranged in multiple braids, gave it a distinctive appearance. A red bow adorned its head, complementing the doll's red outfit. The case itself featured intricate floral carvings.

"We are thoroughly examining his residence for any potential evidence, including trophies," revealed a police source involved in the search of the accused killer's home.

The doll was just one of the many items packed into boxes and removed by law enforcement during the operation. Investigators donned hazmat suits, gloves, and head coverings, systematically filling blue bins with the household items before transferring them to a waiting truck.
The child-sized doll was kept in a large wooden and glass case.

The doll appeared to be blonde, with multiple braids in its long hair. A red bow adorned the top of its head, and it was clad in a red outfit.

The item appeared to be somehow posed inside the case, which was carved with flowers.

The doll was among boxes of items law enforcement carted off as they sorted through the ramshackle house, including cat food and a cat scratch pole; a framed picture; and empty bookcase.
Ramshackle house ?
Did not entertain?
Cat stuff.
Doll like a victim ?
Creepy

I’m wondering, MOO, if RH dismembered victims early on in his “killing career” to fulfill that sadistic need and then had to stop for whatever reason (got married had kid etc) and then began harassing and traumatizing family members to fulfill that sadistic void? MOO thinking out loud while I rewatch Killing Season lol

Curious to know what items were taken from RH's house.
:eek:
Thankful this perp is off the streets now !
Omo.
Oh, apparently some weird stuff....
"On Saturday, cops were seen carrying out a child-sized blonde doll that was kept in a large wooden and glass case adorned with flowers. The creepy doll with a red bow adorned on top of its head, wearing a red outfit, was just one of several items officers clad in hazmat suits, gloves and masks took out of the home and filled into a truck."

Oh, apparently some weird stuff....
"On Saturday, cops were seen carrying out a child-sized blonde doll that was kept in a large wooden and glass case adorned with flowers. The creepy doll with a red bow adorned on top of its head, wearing a red outfit, was just one of several items officers clad in hazmat suits, gloves and masks took out of the home and filled into a truck."
Very creepy and disturbing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member