Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No! I don't think she's supporting her husband, but she may still have contact with him for practical reason's or because she is still processing this nightmare. She may even still love him, heaven's know why, but it's hard to let go of a life you've known for 25 + years.
I don't think you can suddenly stop loving someone after 25 years. Its gonna take time and a whole lot of therapy.

“The estranged wife of the accused Gilgo Beach killer is battling spreading cancer, her lawyer revealed Friday — as several victims’ families urged the public to ignore a set up to aid her and her kids.

“They are not the victims,” raged John Ray, a lawyer for the kin of some of the slain women, at a Long Island press conference.“

I am not understanding why support for Rex’s family takes away support for the murdered women’s families. Why are people wanting to deny that his family are victims? How does that help the murdered victims? Nothing that this family is doing diminishes the actions of their father/husband or excuses his heinous behavior.
For some reason it seems some want to believe that Asa was complicit. To date I have not seen an inkling of evidence that points in that direction.
Further the article states
“Macedonio also said the “soundproof room” cops reportedly found in the unfinished basement was just a ceiling-less space with a safe door where Heuermann allegedly stored his scores of guns.

“It is not a soundproof room, it is not a vault,” Macedonio said.

And the creepy, child-sized, fair-haired doll that authorities pulled from the alleged killer’s home was, in fact, a collectible that Ellerup had for “many, many years,” according to the lawyer”

So much for the sensationalizing of both those things.
Imo
IMO

I just watched the press conference. Did anyone else get the feeling that she may be supporting her husband?
I’ve believed she is ever since they clarified that her filing for divorce was because she wants to protect her assets from lawsuits (presumably from victims’ estates). There’s been no indication that she is not supporting him. I think “it is what it is” is a pretty common thing for people to say when something is out of their control. I personally don’t believe her saying that when he was arrested meant that she believed he was guilty. JMO.

I don’t judge her or empathize with her any less because I suspect she currently believes he’s innocent. I imagine there are stages of acceptance, with denial likely being first. MOO

It’s part of one large criminal enterprise,” said the families’ lawyer John Ray on a day of dueling news conferences outside the Central Islip federal courthouse. “She should be considered a suspect and not just a bystander or someone who’s been victimized by her husband.”

Gilgo Beach families accuse suspect Rex Heuermann's wife in murders

John Ray certainly ratchets up his narrative in this article - I guess the families are worried there will be no money for them in a civil case ?

imo

But Ray said he had a credible witness who could confirm Ellerup was inside the Massapequa Park residence when her husband brought sex workers to their home, although the witness, a woman, has refused to speak publicly.

Ellerup “was there,” he insisted. “And she therefore is part of the conspiracy, and that conspiracy of bringing sex workers into the home led to the deaths.”

It’s part of one large criminal enterprise,” said the families’ lawyer John Ray on a day of dueling news conferences outside the Central Islip federal courthouse. “She should be considered a suspect and not just a bystander or someone who’s been victimized by her husband.”

Gilgo Beach families accuse suspect Rex Heuermann's wife in murders

John Ray certainly ratchets up his narrative in this article - I guess the families are worried there will be no money for them in a civil case ?

imo
Can the victim's families file civil suit before he is convicted criminally in NY? Remember, the "Okmulgee 4" families did this and won, 2 months after they were killed, and this was after Joe's wife had filed for divorce. I don't know if it works differently by state.

Robert Macedonio, representing Heuermann’s wife, Asa Ellerup, and Vess Mitev, representing the couple’s adult children, announced they would be filing a notice of claim to protect the family’s legal rights after a search of their home.

A notice of claim has to be filed in order for the family to pursue any lawsuits over damages in the future but does not guarantee that a lawsuit will be forthcoming. Mitev stressed the main goal is for the family to preserve their legal rights in the future.

The couple’s children have accused authorities of “ransacking” the home and destroying property.

Macedonio pushed back on authorities’ characterization of some of the items, describing the vault as a safe door attached to two-by-fours and the doll as a collectible.

He also said there was significant damage done to the home, including the removal of drain pipes that left the family without water. Family pets, including three cats, were also seized during the search. Macedonio shared photos of the damage the family says law enforcement left behind after the search.

Last edited:
But Ray said he had a credible witness who could confirm Ellerup was inside the Massapequa Park residence when her husband brought sex workers to their home, although the witness, a woman, has refused to speak publicly.

Ellerup “was there,” he insisted. “And she therefore is part of the conspiracy, and that conspiracy of bringing sex workers into the home led to the deaths.”
article geoblocked but seriously , if Ray has such a witness, he needs to introduce her to LE at the speed of light.

Shannan Gilbert’s sister Sherre Gilbert said she “and a lot of the victims’ families feel it’s disgusting, because we were never given that much support when our loved ones went missing.”

“I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve never heard of a murder victim’s family getting $45,000 (in donations),” Gilbert said via speakerphone.

I realize that their house was turned upside down but j-traps can be bought for as little as $5.00 or $6.00. There are YouTube videos that show how to put on a new one. It can take as little as 15 minutes to replace a j-trap. The lawyers loses some credibility by focusing on this seemingly minor disruption. It would seem they would focus more on the bigger disruptions, like the back hoeing of the backyard and the removal of the deck. This news conference may have done more damage than good.

Last edited:
Wow, you found it! So many of us were hoping the original poster would come here and help us to find the pictures! Thank you!!!

Oh wow, didn’t know, just came across it.

Freakin crazy. There he was the whole time, it possibly appears.

——

Eta: wait a minute, across from Shannan’s remains? Is that an error?

Last edited:
“They are not the victims,” raged John Ray, a lawyer for the kin of some of the slain women, at a Long Island press conference

“The Ellerup family comes forward and says, ‘Help, give us money, look what’s happened to our home, it’s all chopped up,’” Ray said. “Well, let me ask you this: What about the victims who were chopped up? What about the victims who were wrapped up and carried somewhere and dumped?”

“They are not the victims,” raged John Ray, a lawyer for the kin of some of the slain women, at a Long Island press conference

“The Ellerup family comes forward and says, ‘Help, give us money, look what’s happened to our home, it’s all chopped up,’” Ray said. “Well, let me ask you this: What about the victims who were chopped up? What about the victims who were wrapped up and carried somewhere and dumped?”
He has a point, as have the victims and I agree with them

However, he's doing himself no favours with these statements.

He's not doing his client any favours either.

I'm on SSDI which different than SSA. My income makes me unable to qualify for Medicaid but fortunately at least in New Jersey there is a program that pays most all prescriptions with a $5.00-$7.00 copay for 90 day prescriptions. It's a life saver for me especially now with the cost of living so high. It's called PAAD. I don't know if this program exists from State to State.

Also Medicaid recipients cannot have savings over $2,000.00, it may be higher now since I knew this several years ago. Which concerns me with AE. She can't have that much money from the in her name or she wouldn't qualify for Medicaid or food stamps. I hope her lawyer is able to get her through the process of applying for all these available programs.

I did it on my own when filing and went through the disability and was approved within months. Normally no one get approved the first time they apply, it usually take 2 years to get approval. Mine didn't happen because of luck, I just happen to know the process and it can be hard for some who is sick. I wish I could help her but I don't live close enough to her even though I'm in New Jersey.

Can you qualify for food stamps if your salary is a certain amount? I tried to help a neighbor with the process because she doesn’t have any family but they said her rent was too high to qualify. I guess if you can afford that rent rate they feel that you can afford groceries.

Is Medicaid different from state to state?

I was just going to mention the insurance. With the affordable health care act, open enrollment starts November 1 (I believe) she may be able to find a subsidized policy for next year while she applies for medicade. She'll qualify for medicare at 65. Sad situation for her but hopefully she'll find a great advocate to help her navigate the next few months.
You apply all at once - NYSOH will evaluate her eligibility for the whole range of options.

I’ve believed she is ever since they clarified that her filing for divorce was because she wants to protect her assets from lawsuits (presumably from victims’ estates). There’s been no indication that she is not supporting him. I think “it is what it is” is a pretty common thing for people to say when something is out of their control. I personally don’t believe her saying that when he was arrested meant that she believed he was guilty. JMO.

I don’t judge her or empathize with her any less because I suspect she currently believes he’s innocent. I imagine there are stages of acceptance, with denial likely being first. MOO
Filing for divorce makes sense if she is complicit or blindsided.

I lean to blindsided. I haven't seen any evidence that suggests to me she was an accomplice. Her hairs on bodies doesn't strike me as a smoking gun.

But filing for divorce doesn't prove anything but good financial planning, IMO and experience.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member