Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s fascinating to read how they tracked his burner phones and connected them to him geographically.

He also set up burner phones using a fictitious aol email account in 2011. Then in December, 2022, used his own phone to access that same email account. How brazen.

View attachment 434690
(Screenshot from Rex Heuermann, Gilgo Beach murder suspect, bail documentation | PDF | Dna Profiling | Forensic Science)

brazen or dumb? I feel like he must be missing a few braincells to discard a pizza box outside his office building

I always wonder about stuff like this:

In January this year, after watching Heuermann and his family since last March, the detectives in the case seized a pizza box he'd thrown in the trash outside his Manhattan office.

They're saying it took since last March for him to throw anything away outside?

I was thinking they very likely had a cleaning person/crew and him throwing this out was a one-off.

Freaking normal...Like a postman.
Unfortunately killers are ordinary people which is an advantage to them, the only one that (IMO) stood out was Edmund Kemper (extremely tall)
This is an interesting article about Hannah Arendt, Eichmann’s trial and her famous quote regarding the banality of evil

I guess; however, when we are given things from our parents, we cherish them because of the meaning behind them. It's not the value. It's who owned the item and how it was passed down (especially, if it had the initials engraved on it). That's why I would never see it as something just thrown aside or discarded. I guess that all families are different, though.

Then, again, I would never let my home fall apart like it appears he did with his own home.
Then again most people are not serial killers who have different priorities

Notes from the press conference:

- RH first became a suspect on March 14, 2022 after a NY State investigator "was able to identify him in a database"

- Over 300 subpoenas and search warrants were executed

- All of the women were bound at the head, the chest or the midsection, and the legs

- The burlap in this case was camouflage, like the type used for hunting

- In December 2012, FBI special agents began looking at the cell site data and honed in on similarities between the burner phones (now identified as belonging to RH) and the victims' cellphones. They noted in particular that the four phones had overlap in Massapequa Park and Midtown Manhattan

- The physical similarities between RH and the man seen during Amber Costello's 'ruse' shortly before her disappearance, location of his house within the area the victims' phones pinged, and the similarity of RH's car to the one seen in the 'ruse' led to RH being identified as a suspect in 2022.

- During the murders, RH was alone in the tristate area (his wife and children were out of town)

- LE was able to identify 7 separate burner phones believed to have been used by RH

- LE kept details about the investigation and grand jury under wraps because they knew RH would be watching

- The Chevy Avalanche used in the Amber Costello case was seized by LE in South Carolina and will be processed

- Search warrants are still being executed

South Carolina? what? I thought it was in his driveway

The architect accused in a string of Long Island killings has been years late in paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes, repeatedly filed lawsuits accusing drivers of injuring him in car accidents, and still lives in his childhood home, according to a review of public records and court documents.

Between 2014 and 2022, Heuermann filed four lawsuits in New York courts against drivers who he said hit him with their cars. Heuermann claimed “serious and permanent personal injuries,” court records show. Three of the cases were settled or discontinued, while the most recent one is ongoing.

In an April 2018 deposition in one of the cases, Heuermann discussed his life and work, saying he lived at his childhood home in the Long Island suburb of Massapequa Park with his wife of then 22 years, daughter and a stepson.

At one point in the deposition, when asked if he played sports, he said, “really only thing I competed in was competition rifle."

really??? I see dead, soulless eyes

Yeah I don't see a pleasant looking man, personally. I think he looks creepy. Let's just say I wasn't shocked that he searched for child abuse images.

So glad they've got him. I'll be really surprised if a child has never been one of his murder victims given what he searched for.

It’s linked through the same email account he used with the burner phone

Page 21

View attachment 434775

https://int.nyt.com/data/documentto...-final-1-redacted-1/6ffd72d59b87aa51/full.pdf
Right, but he had a lot of burner phones. As far as I can tell from the bail letter, the ones he used in the murders weren't linked with that email address. The phone with the selfies was linked to the tinder account and some of the email addresses and the search history. But, unless I'm missing something, I don't think there was any link described between it and the murder phones or between the email addresses and the murder phones.

I don't think that matters in the long run. The location evidence tying the murder phones to his house and office and to the victims' phones is pretty compelling. And the DNA evidence is absolutely damning.

Here's something that strikes me as odd. According to DS, the guy who Amber was meeting the night of her murder offered her a lot of money for an overnight. DS also said she talked to him on the phone for quite some time before agreeing to the date. If they had ripped him off just the night before, wouldn't Amber have recognized his voice, or at least his face and refused to get in the car ?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels " off " to me.
He texted her asking to meet. She already knew it was him.

One thing that has always interested me is the use of "burner phones" by the suspect. So called "burner phones" are ultimately identifiable. I've used Tracfone, and I had to give them a 2nd phone number that was mine, my name, and an email address. Even if I'd given false information, prepaid services like Tracfone require refilling minutes, usually with a credit card purchase, although there are refill cards. The refill cards are validated at a retailer cash register, so where they were purchased can be discovered. I think many of those transactions are traceable. LE would need subpoenas for that information, but together with cell tower locations, I think that Heuermann could have been identified much earlier.
He paid cash IMO

Last edited:
Right, but he had a lot of burner phones. As far as I can tell from the bail letter, the ones he used in the murders weren't linked with that email address. The phone with the selfies was linked to the tinder account and some of the email addresses and the search history. But, unless I'm missing something, I don't think there was any link described between it and the murder phones or between the email addresses and the murder phones.

I don't think that matters in the long run. The location evidence tying the murder phones to his house and office and to the victims' phones is pretty compelling. And the DNA evidence is absolutely damning.
Yeah, it looks like a lot of evidence and there’s usually even more they don’t share before trial.
Also, at the press conference he stated that the burner phones traveled with the murderers personal phone.
14:20 in video at link:
Gilgo Beach murders: Suspect identified as Rex Heuermann, charged in deaths of 3 women

A woman name Ally had a disturbing encounter with Rex H. in Brady Park on July 3rd.
He came up behind her.
She said his clothes were dirty.
He asked her the time.
She said he popped out of the woods wherever she went.
She called her sister to pick her up.
She was scared enough to file a police report.
The article is in the NY Post.

She was not in a psychotic episode. She behaved rationally. Professionals in her 911 thread agree that she was sane and coherent.

I've never heard that she had that dx; she has had others that are known publically.
But it would not matter if she was in a psychotic condition. That doesn't explain Brewer or Paks behavior.

Once again, if she was trying to get the police, but had very good reason to avoid them.

Pak obviously did not want her picked up because he could have just left.

Brewer obviously did not want her picked up because he didn't just call the police, an ambulance, etc.

The behavior of the men does not make sense. This is a fact no matter how she was acting. I believe she was very coherent and smart... gave herself a chance by calling 911. But if you think she was out of he4 mind, why would the guys in the background try to calm her and chase her? Her being coherent or crazy does not explain the men.

MOO
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.

To the best of my knowledge, Shannan Gilbert was not schizophrenic, but her sister is. Schizophrenia is a disease that is extremely heritable through generations. Those who inherit the genes that predispose them to developing schizophrenia in late adolescence don't necessarily always develop the disease, but there are a plethora of different schizoaffective and/or schizotypal disorders that can also share attributes of the disease. The point is that simply due to a close family member developing full-blown schizophrenia, Shannan was very susceptible to episodes of delusion and derealization when under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. That's what I hear on the call; disorganized thought, struggling to make sense of where she is and what the people around her are doing, asking if Mike's going to hurt her and telling him to stay away from her before telling him moments later to take her home.

Absolutely no disrespect intended here, I don't know what you're talking about in regards to Brewer and Pak. To my ear, Pak seems genuinely concerned and is trying to get through to her and calm her down. Brewer(while this isn't really any sort of defense, per se) just seems like an entitled rich douche who's mad that his entertainment stopped being fun and is just trying to get her out of his house. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "Pak obviously did not want her picked up because he could have just left."? I'm sorry, I'm not following the logic there.

I've not seen the 911 thread you said professionals posted in. Could you please send a link? I'd be interested to see what they had to say.

Yeah I don't see a pleasant looking man, personally. I think he looks creepy. Let's just say I wasn't shocked that he searched for child abuse images.

So glad they've got him. I'll be really surprised if a child has never been one of his murder victims given what he searched for.
A baby is a victim.
Her mother is Peaches.
Peaches torso was found in Hempstead state park in 1997.
The rest of her remains was found on Ocean Pkwy 14 yrs later.
The toddler was found on Ocean Pkwy too.
She was in the bushes for 14 yrs.

Does anyone think that it's possible RH is responisble for ALL the Long Island serial killings and not just Gilgo beach?
I definitely think it's possible. Maybe not probable that he's good for all of them, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have more victims than the Gilgo 4.

Not for nothing, but in terms of the possibility of multiple murderers operating and dumping in the same location, Melissa Barthelemy was reportedly close friends with the daughter of John Bittrolff's victim Rita Tangredi. I won't hammer in the different coincidences and circumstantial ties Bittrolff has to some of the cases for fear of beating a dead horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan