Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

HmmMysterious

Reaction score
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-dead-1.6828991

Gordon Lightfoot.jpg

Gordon Lightfoot, the iconic Canadian folk singer-songwriter, died on the night of May 1st, 2023 according to his publicist Victoria Lord. He amazed the world with songs such as "Sundown" and "If You Could Read My Mind". In my opinion, his greatest song is the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Rest in Peace

Last edited:
Ahhh... the memories of my youth and his voice. I'm sad he's passed on.

I'll just post someone's quote here:
"Gordon Lightfoot... every time I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever." - Bob Dylan

So incredibly sad to hear this news tonight.

I saw Gordon Lightfoot several times at Massey Hall in Toronto over the years. It was a homecoming of sorts.

Gordon switched labels several years ago to True North Records which is located in the village (town) of Waterdown, Ontario, Canada.

True North put on a weekend of music in our small town and Gordon Lightfoot showed up as a special guest. He was amazing.

A great storyteller, a great musician and a Canadian Legend. So sorry to hear of his passing tonight.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was zooming past internet radio stations and some songs I liked came on.

I thought I can hear those anytime, Then Gordon and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald came on and even though I can hear it anytime I just to had to listen to it right there and then.

I'm so sad that he's gone :(

@HmmMysterious , I was going to mention the same two songs you did. "Sundown" and "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald". For anyone who is not familiar with his work, take the time to at least listen to these two songs. "The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald", is his take on a true happening. It is bit long, but worth it, and truly haunting and sad. Rest In Peace Gordon.

We got to see him at a local music festival here in Southern Oregon sometime within the past 25 years and it was such a treat. “Early Morning Rain,” “If you could read my mind”…and on and on.

1682999827411.png
''Life in Hollywood wasn't a good fit, however, and it wasn't long before a homesick Lightfoot returned to Canada. He pledged to move to Toronto to pursue his musical ambitions, taking any job available, including a position at Royal Bank before landing a role as a square dancer on CBC's "Country Hoedown."

One of his first gigs was at Fran's Restaurant, a downtown family-owned diner that warmed to his folk sensibilities. It was there he met fellow musician Ronnie Hawkins, who urged him to take his music to more suitable places, such as nearby Steele's Tavern.

At that point, Lightfoot was living with a few buddies in a condemned building in Yorkville, then a bohemian area where future stars including Neil Young and Joni Mitchell would learn their trade at smoke-filled clubs. Around that time, he befriended local folk duo Ian and Sylvia who became great admirers of his work and later recorded two of his songs as his star first began to rise.

Lightfoot made his popular radio debut with the single "(Remember Me) I'm the One" in 1962, which led to a number of hit songs and partnerships with other local musicians. When he started playing the Mariposa Folk Festival in his hometown of Orillia, Ont., that same year, Lightfoot forged a relationship that made him the festival's most loyal returning performer.

By 1964, he was garnering positive word-of-mouth around town that attracted Bernie Fiedler, owner of Yorkville's Riverboat coffee house, who showed up at one of Lightfoot's Steele's performances with an offer to pay him double.

Audiences were starting to gather in growing numbers and by the next year, Lightfoot's song "I'm Not Sayin'" was a hit in Canada, which helped spread his name in the United States.''

Last edited:
I remember the first Gordon Lightfoot chorus I heard on the radio: "Only a go-go girl in love with someone who didn't care". I was very young, but I'd seen go-go girls downtown, strange creatures in mini dresses and boots, dancing in sort of glass cages sticking out of the 2nd floor of a downtown building.

1967, what a crazy time. Same year he released Black Day in July, and the Railway Trilogy, completely different kinds of songs.

I personally prefer his 60's stuff, especially Early Morning Rain. He was such an original, authentic, genre-defying talent, and hadn't yet mellowed - though mellow Gordon was good too.

RIP

This thread makes me think of other still-living singers who provided the sound track of our lives…for me it is Johnny Mathis, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Rambling Jack Elliot, Tom Paxton, Simon & Garfunkel (and Simon solo), Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, The Eagles, and so many others who are getting up in age. We’ve been privileged to have them this long, but we will be making threads like this for them too someday. So we treasure them now while we still can and we are grateful for the joy they’ve brought to our lives as well their impact on popular culture. Music is such an amazing gift.

There's a documentary about him from a couple years ago. I'm going to watch this weekend. He had such a long career from the early days of folk music, he's led an interesting life.

Here's the trailer for it.

Godspeed Gordon Lightfoot, Godspeed.
You sure left your mark in this world, and made my life richer with your spectacular songs.

That Rock'n Roll band in heaven is now one bigger and a whole lot better.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro
Back