GPS systems will be struck by Y2K-like bug on April 6: Security expert says he won’t fly on day zero

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
'GPS systems will be struck by Y2K-like bug on April 6': Security expert says he will NOT fly on day | Daily Mail Online

GPS systems could be brought down next month due to a computer calendar error says information security expert.

An expert at the RSA 2019 security conference in San Francisco this week said he predicts a Y2K like computer error for older GPS systems to take place on April 6, in less than a month's time.

The computers' calendars could fail if GPS devices' with older systems flip back to zero after literally running out of time, reaching the end of their counters.

A similar prediction, nicknamed Y2K, was made in 1999 as the world worried over an impending computer shutdown.

Bill Malik, vice president of Trend Micro, a Taiwanese multinational cyber security and defense company, told Tom's Guide he wouldn't fly on April 6 and compared the prediction to the 1999 Y2K calendar error - but suggests things may be worse this time around.

He said: 'The effects would be more widespread because so many more systems have integrated GPS into their operations.'

[...]

The root of the problem:

GPS, the Global Positioning System, works on its own date and time scale based on counting weeks, and seconds in a week to express satellite positions.

GPS' are only able to count up to 1024 weeks before rolling over to zero again.

This is to limit the size of the numbers held in the GPS calculations.

The first ever week for GPS' started at 00:00:00 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on Sunday, 6th January 1980.

Since then the week number has rolled over once from 1023 to 0 at 23:59:47 UTC on Saturday, August 21 1999.

This happens every 19.7 years.

The problem is caused when GPS-based equipment or software is confused by the rollover, in an error similar to the year-2000 software problems.

Source: National Physical Laboratory

Fun fact: GPS uses 10 bits to store the week. That means it runs out... oh heck – April 6, 2019

Y2K-like bug could cause GPS issues on April 6

And, Doritos and Chips!!

Send me the address of your bunker, will ya?? I'm bringing the cat with me. lol

I won't be flying on Apr. 6th either, if this fella says not to. ;)

Last edited:
Many people worried about losing electricity in Y2K. My dad worked at Lowe’s in 1999. He said so many people asked if they could purchase generators and return them if Y2K didn’t “happen” that they had to put signs up saying they wouldn’t accept returns on generators. They still sold out of their generators, and in 1999 even small generators were very expensive.

Sounds good to me.......Bring me some more Dr. Pepper and coffee. I don't drink........PAAAAARTY !!!....... I maybe better warn my wife about all this...............moo
I don't drink alcohol either -- I'll BMOP -- bring my own Pepsi!! And I'll bring our host (you, cody22) some Dr. Pepper and good coffee and doughnuts...

And beer!

I'm not making any plane reservations for that date -- I'll ride my broom instead!
I'm going ride over to cody22's bunker and settle-in till it's over... :D

BBM

Shhh, borndem, yeah keep the secrets but we really ride on a besom:

images

Your Mileage May Vary!

See ya'll at coddy22's bunker late on the 5th, Laughing

Sounds good to me.......Bring me some more Dr. Pepper and coffee. I don't drink........PAAAAARTY !!!....... I maybe better warn my wife about all this...............moo

LOL!!! It might be a GREAT idea to warn your wife!
Hmmmmm, do you have enough space for the animals? Two of each, and all that? Need fresh milk in that mix too!
Oh, wait, that's for floods and blizzards. Hmmm.

Thank you for the info.........This means I gotta go restock the food/water supplies and toilet paper in the back yard cellar/bunker before April 6th.....moo

LOL
All I have to do is find my storage bins with my Y2k stuff in it and check the expiration dates. :) Im sure I will need new fresh gallons of water and some new soup cans.

Seriously though, probably not a good idea to fly or take a remote hike deep into the woods forest and only expect to rely on your hand held GPS unit. Better bring a compass and map if hiking remotely that day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold case momma
Back