Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Natalie Christopher, 34, British, missing after jog, Ikaria, 5 August 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would she suddenly decide to go rock climbing when she had gone on a run? Did she slip and fall while running too close to the edge and then try to climb back up? It doesn't make much sense to me that she would suddenly decide to climb (or descend) a steep cliff face. Those cliffs look very steep and dangerous to me. Seems like this "rock climbing" explanation is the speculation of the rescue worker. I think I'm going to wait until LE makes a statement. MOO.
I think it's just how she was. Her last FB post from Sunday mentions climbing.

Screenshot_20190807-211802.png

Natalie Christopher

Saying that, I hope it's thoroughly investigated to make sure it was accidental.

paraphrase/summary (my translation only)

The area has been sealed off and will be guarded, and the corpse will remain there overnight.
A forensic surgeon and Hellenic C.S.I. will be coming in from Athens in the morning. The forensic surgeon will conduct an autopsy on-site, and Hellenic C.S.I. will investigate the area. To determine the cause of death, the corpse will probably be sent to Athens for necroscopy and necrotomy.

Ικαρία: Την Πέμπτη η αυτοψία στον σημείο που βρέθηκε νεκρή η 34χρονη

CRUSHED TO DEATH Missing Brit Natalie Christopher was ‘crushed by a giant boulder’ as she fell into a ravine on Greek island Ikaria (with clip)

7 Aug 2019

"...Rescuers found the body at the bottom of a ravine in an area known as Katafygi.

A large rock, which may have been dislodged in the fall, appeared to have crushed her.

The body left where it was found so a coroner can examine her in the morning.

Greek police are saying the ravine was about a mile from the scientist's hotel in Kerame - in the north of the island.

An inquiry is being opened into the circumstances of her death with investigators focusing on whether she tripped and fell into the ravine or other factors were at play. ...

'BLOOD STAINS ON BED SHEETS'

Cops have told The Sun Online that blood stains found on Natalie's bed sheets have been sent to a laboratory for DNA testing.

According to reports, the scientist's boyfriend said the blotches were the result of a nose bleed...."

Missing Brit Natalie Christopher was 'crushed by a giant boulder' as she fell into a ravine on Greek island Ikaria

RB-MAP-MISSING-BRIT-GREECE-6.jpg

Vangelis Kriaras, one of the rescuers, gave an interview to OPEN TV in which he describes his theory of what happened to her. According to him, she was climbing when a rock detached and fell onto her. She did not have location services activated on her phone. The rescuer belives, had that been the case, they might have found her still alive.

PatrisNews - Εφημερίδα Πατρίς, τα νέα της Ηλείας, ειδήσεις από την Ηλεία, ilia news

[bbm]

but she supposedly had a GPS watch

Autopsy conducted on-site?? That can’t be correct

Here are the relevant translations from the article. (my translation only)

The headline says:

Ικαρία: Την Πέμπτη η αυτοψία στον σημείο που βρέθηκε νεκρή η 34χρονη

Ikaria: On Thursday the autopsy at the place where the 34 year old was found dead.

The article says:

να γίνει αυτοψία επί τόπου

the autopsy will occur on-the-spot.

note: as I mentioned earlier, the article specifies that necroscopy and necrotomy will (probably) be done in Athens

Last edited:
CRUSHED TO DEATH Missing Brit Natalie Christopher was ‘crushed by a giant boulder’ as she fell into a ravine on Greek island Ikaria (with clip)

7 Aug 2019

"...Rescuers found the body at the bottom of a ravine in an area known as Katafygi.

A large rock, which may have been dislodged in the fall, appeared to have crushed her.

The body left where it was found so a coroner can examine her in the morning.

Greek police are saying the ravine was about a mile from the scientist's hotel in Kerame - in the north of the island.

An inquiry is being opened into the circumstances of her death with investigators focusing on whether she tripped and fell into the ravine or other factors were at play. ...

'BLOOD STAINS ON BED SHEETS'

Cops have told The Sun Online that blood stains found on Natalie's bed sheets have been sent to a laboratory for DNA testing.

According to reports, the scientist's boyfriend said the blotches were the result of a nose bleed...."

Missing Brit Natalie Christopher was 'crushed by a giant boulder' as she fell into a ravine on Greek island Ikaria

c
That article and a few others have her hotel location wrong. IMO that's where the discrepancy in the reports about the distance of the site where she was found from the hotel comes from (it's 1.5km, not 5km).

then she wouldn't need location services enabled on her phone, which the rescuer said would've enabled them to find her alive? or do I have that wrong?
Yes, this aspect of the story has been strange and I wonder if something has been lost in translation? Perhaps LE wasn't aware of the watch? I hope that the watch data if it exists will be examined as part of the investigation.

In Greek, autopsia is the in-situ examination of the body (the crime/death scene with the body in it) while a necropsia is the medical examination of the body.

That's a good way to describe it. "In-situ" is an excellent translation.

While the terms necroscopy and necrotomy exist in English (derived from the Greek language, of course), they are apparently not used much (except by medical professionals, I suppose), so in English they get lumped together into the umbrella term "autopsy."

That's a good way to describe it. "In-situ" is an excellent translation.

While the terms necroscopy and necrotomy exist in English (derived from the Greek language, of course), they are apparently not used much (except by medical professionals, I suppose), so in English they get lumped together into the umbrella term "autopsy."

That's right. "Autopsia/autopsy" literally means "to see in person/ with one's own eyes", "necropsia/necropsy" means "to see/observe a dead person" and "necrotomy" means "to cut/slice open a dead person".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Forgotten Murders
Back