Greece Greece - John Tossell, 73, British tourist went for a walk, Zante, 17 June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Elainera

Reaction score
_107550045_john.jpg

John Tossell, 73, from Bridgend, did not return from a walk on 17 June, while on the third day of his Zante holiday.

Authorities in Greece spent a week looking for Mr Tossell but called off the search.

His family fear he may have been involved in an accident.

Mr Tossell's partner Gillian Griffiths urged anyone with information to "ease your conscience". "John has been missing six weeks. It's six weeks of heartache," she said on Facebook.

"I am begging anyone who knows anything or anyone who has been involved in the disappearance of John to please come forward urgently. "I fully believe that something suspicious has taken place and if someone was involved in a hit and run involving John I'm sure it was an innocent accident not deliberate."

Mr Tossell was described as a "fit man" who swam three times a week and walked miles with his dogs.

He had gone to the monastery on Mount Skopos, near the village of Argassi, and failed to return to the hotel where he was staying.

Volunteers from the Western Beacons Mountain Rescue team went to Zante and searched for Mr Tossell after £7,000 was raised on a **** Page. But their search was also called off after they failed to find him.

Ms Griffiths said she was convinced Mr Tossell had been "taken or removed" from Zante, adding: "All I ask is to let me know where he is so I can bring him home."

Son-in-law Gareth Whitham called for anyone who was travelling along the road between Argassi and Banana Beach between 10:00 and 12:00 and saw "odd behaviour" to contact police.

Zante missing man plea after 'weeks of heartache'

In the video above the article a family member who went to Zante to search for John describes his frustration with the efforts of local LE. They showed him cctv where John was spotted at 9.29 (am, I assume). He says that had they known this earlier, search efforts could have been more focussed on the area he was seen in on cctv.

He also says it was 45 degrees that day ...

I assume they have searched the area of the last sighting in the meantime. John remains missing though.

Why are we only now hearing of this?

@AnnesCuthberts I found an article from 5 weeks ago. So it was in the news earlier, we just didn't see it.

From June 26:

The family of a man who has been missing on the Greek island of Zante for more than a week claim the police did not check CCTV properly.

Mr Griffiths, who has helped with the search, said: "We met the police chief when I arrived on the Wednesday [19 June] and asked him about any CCTV but they said there had been no recorded images of John from the morning he went missing."

He said police had checked cameras between 09:30 - 10:30 but did not spot Mr Tossell.

"I asked for them to go back just before 09:30 and there he was. I found that almost straight away."

A local restaurant had clearer CCTV images of Mr Tossell walking down the street and from that Mr Griffiths said they were able to work out which side of the mountain he would have walked up.

"If the police would have done this earlier we could have focused the search on that one point of the Skopos mountain.

"I think this would have given us more of a chance of finding John."

"I just fear the heat has got too much for John and it's overcome him and he's fallen down one of the steep valleys.

"It's like he's vanished off the face of the earth."

Mr Griffiths appealed for information about a woman aged between 44-55 with shoulder length blonde hair who was seen talking to Mr Tossell at a cafe near the monastery while with her partner.

"We really need to find this couple so we can piece together John's movements."

John Tossell: Missing man's family criticise Greek police

This is the first article I can find, from June 24:

Fears grow for Brit missing in Zante after visiting monastery

John Tossell, from Bridgend, South Wales, headed off towards the monastery on Mount Skopos, on Zante, last Monday, June 17.

The last confirmed sighting of Mr Tossell was at a cafe near the monastery around 3pm on the day he went missing.

The search has been made more difficult by the rugged terrain and areas where it is almost impossible to walk on foot.

john-tossell-bridgend-south-wales.jpg

"I am begging anyone who knows anything or anyone who has been involved in the disappearance of John to please come forward urgently. "I fully believe that something suspicious has taken place and if someone was involved in a hit and run involving John I'm sure it was an innocent accident not deliberate."

He had gone to the monastery on Mount Skopos, near the village of Argassi, and failed to return to the hotel where he was staying.
:(
Untitled-8-copy-1-1024x638.jpg
Skopos:
Up on the holy mountain - two old churches and unique panoramic view from the very top
skopos (9).jpg
Skopos Hike :confused:

Total distance - 10 (km)
Duration - 5 hours
Difficulty - technical, demanding
Target group - enthusiasts

Skopos hike | Zakynthos

Son-in-law Gareth Whitham called for anyone who was travelling along the road between Argassi and Banana Beach between 10:00 and 12:00 and saw "odd behaviour" to contact police.

Is this the road down from/to Mount Skopos? Why are they asking if anyone saw "odd behaviour" in the morning if he was last seen and spoken to in a Cafe at 3pm?

I'm shocked! 6 weeks until media coverage? Especially when the family suspect something amiss?

This is the first article I can find, from June 24:

Fears grow for Brit missing in Zante after visiting monastery
It was also reported in The Sun (24th June)

MISSING ON MOUNTAIN Brit grandad, 73, vanishes on Greek island making ‘almost impossible’ visit to mountain monastery after chat with mystery couple

A BRITISH grandad has vanished on a Greek island after chatting with a mystery couple during his “almost impossible” trip to a mountain monastery.

Greek emergency services have been searching for him but no trace has been found...

0_AMR_WOL_240619_01JPG.jpg

CCTV picture of missing Bridgend pensioner John Tossell
A police helicopter has been searching the area, and members of the fire service, port authorities and special disaster response unit have been involved in the search.

Then there's this from WalesOnline (5th July)

:( Welsh mountain rescue team call off search for Bridgend pensioner missing in Greece

A team of volunteers from the Western Beacons Mountain Rescue flew to Zante to help with the search

0_Landscape-of-Zakynthos-mountains-from-Skopos-hill-Greece.jpg

The area where the Bridgend pensioner has gone missing

A spokesman for the Western Beacons Mountain Rescue said: “After an extensive search we have today stood down activity on the island of Zakinthos in relation to the search for missing British man John Tossell, and our 13 volunteers will now return to the UK...

We would like to thank the local fire, police and volunteer rescue teams for all their help and support.

Brit grandad, 73, vanishes on Greek island making ‘almost impossible’ visit to mountain monastery after chat with mystery couple
Welsh mountain rescue team call off search for pensioner missing in Greece

I can't really see who would have a motive to smuggle an elderly gentleman off an island. It's more likely he sadly succumbed to the elements in such heat. Has it been stated anywhere how much water he had on him that day? He might walk dogs for miles but that's not the same as a technically difficult hike in boiling heat.

I can't really see who would have a motive to smuggle an elderly gentleman off an island. It's more likely he sadly succumbed to the elements in such heat. Has it been stated anywhere how much water he had on him that day? He might walk dogs for miles but that's not the same as a technically difficult hike in boiling heat.
In the CCTV pic 2 posts up it looks like a smallish bottle of water, maybe a 500ml one.

In the CCTV pic 2 posts up it looks like a smallish bottle of water, maybe a 500ml one.

Well spotted! And that would be gone in an hour in this heat and while walking. No bag.

Would that be the footage from 9.30 am? Judging by the rather long shadow I'd think so. He was seen at 3 pm and apparently nothing was amiss at that time otherwise he would have asked for help. I'm assuming he had something to drink at the Cafe at 3 pm but how did he move around more than 5 hours in this heat without additional water? Are there other Cafes and shops on the route up to the monastery? Maybe he had lunch somewhere?

Jmo.

O.k. I found this dated 20th June.

Local - Zakynthos Informer
It seems this is a follow up to a previous report of him being missing so this shows searchers were out in force well before 20th June?
The pics included in the article show it's rough terrain on foot and clearly how easily an accident could happen
but reading about all the various search efforts including helicopters, drones & dogs, I'm thinking as it's a rather 'barron' landscape mainly...:confused: (& his Blue shirt) Why has nothing been found?
suspicious-smiley.png

British National still missing.
20th June 2019

Still missing is the 73 year old British National, John Tossell, as search and rescue teams combed the Mountain of Skopos again yesterday till night fall.

Police, Port Authorities, the Fire Department and also the 6th Special Disaster Response unit from Patra, have all joined forces to help locate the unfortunate visitor. A police helicopter was also brought in to fly over the difficult parts of terrain.

teams with tracker dogs were painfully going over the area in hope they might find something. As night fell the teams were disappointed that they have not found our visitor but are determined to continue the search today..

After posting our story on Zakynthos Informer a lot of our members were concerned and asked if they could help in any way or form, one of those members was Dominik Rosner, a professional photographer, offering to help with his drone.

The terrain in the area is very rugged and almost impossible by foot
and an extra drone in these types of conditions would be of great help. Immediately our team got him connected to the Fire Department so that his drone could be put to use.

:cool: Photographs from the drone in article.
British National still missing. - Zakynthos Informer

:rolleyes: ^ I forgot to add this:
(as the timeline from various reports seems all over the place)

It is believed he left for hiking up towards Mt. Skopo, he met up with another hiker on the way up and both reaching the canteen area stopped for a bottle of water, the hiker returned alone, however, Mr Tossell’s movements went unnoticed

reading about all the various search efforts including helicopters, drones & dogs, I'm thinking as it's a rather 'barron' landscape mainly...:confused: (& his Blue shirt) Why has nothing been found?

Maybe they're looking in the wrong area. Maybe he made his way back down and something happened to him later on his way back to the hotel. jmo

“.... Mt Skopos is not a huge mountain, but it does have areas where it is almost impossible to search. The last known whereabouts of John was at Windmill Bay, Argasi, a CCTV camera captured him whilst he was swimming in the area, it seems he left Windmill Bay heading towards Mt. Skopo; did he make it there or not? No one seems to know. At the moment the family believes that he was hit by a car whilst walking along the narrow road towards Mt. Skopo, even along the road there are possible scenarios as to what may have happened to John Tossell; it is here that the family are pleading for any information, even the slightest.

Katy, his daughter in a message to me, pleading to get a message out for anyone to come forth, showed me a picture of her dad with one of his grandchildren. Its absolutely heartbreaking not knowing what has happened to one of your loved ones, nor being able to help those you love, if they are in danger; just having to sit and wait, praying to god that this nightmare will end.

Did you have a conversation with him? Did you see him walk down the road? Did you see him standing anywhere, travelling on a bus, ferry or even get into a taxi? Anything! Surely there must be something, something that someone may have seen or even heard. The plea to come forward is imperative, tell the authorities or even send a message anonymously to those organizations we have mentioned, something to help find John.

South Wales Police are also assisting in collecting information, however, the investigation is still led by the Greek Police. So, anyone with any information needs to call them (Zakynthos, [URL='https://www.websleuths.com/forums/tel:+30 26950']+30 26950
24470 ), (Greece 100) or (South Wales Police on +44 16568 15805). “

https://zakynthosinformer.com/john-tossell-missing-6-weeks-today/[/URL]

This is heartbreaking, he seems to be a very lovely man.

His family are now pushing for a criminal probe.

Family push for criminal probe into Welshman's disappearance in Greece

There is no evidence of a crime whatsoever and he was badly equipped for a long hike so realistically it's much more likely he had a fall.

I feel so sorry for his loved ones and understand why they want closure but I think focusing on continuing the search would be a better use of their energy. Until every single inch of the mountain is checked it's impossible to be certain he isn't there.

His family are now pushing for a criminal probe.

Family push for criminal probe into Welshman's disappearance in Greece

There is no evidence of a crime whatsoever and he was badly equipped for a long hike so realistically it's much more likely he had a fall.

I feel so sorry for his loved ones and understand why they want closure but I think focusing on continuing the search would be a better use of their energy. Until every single inch of the mountain is checked it's impossible to be certain he isn't there.

Agree the search needs to be extensive.

They spent that first weekend on the island sitting by the pool, reading and visiting local restaurants for dinner.

1_My-partner-went-for-a-walk-on-holiday-in-Greece-but-never-came-backJohn-Tossell-73-had-arranged.jpg

John Tossell, 73, pictured the night before his disappearance (Image: WalesOnline/ WS)

It is now almost 11 weeks since John disappeared and Gillian is still desperately waiting on news.

John, 73, is a keen walker and an avid history fan. Gillian said: "Every holiday we went on, John went walking as he was very fit, active and loved history.

"On the morning of June 17, he said he was going for a walk, maybe only 30 minutes or perhaps longer, but not to worry.

"He said to take my bathers and book to the pool and that he would see me later. He took 10 Euros and a bottle of water and left at around 9.30am."

[...]

Gillian has now returned to the family home in Bridgend, Wales, where she said she is being supported by family and friends.

"It was just crucifying being there on the island. I had to come home, the dogs are here, my family are here. There are things I can do here but I can’t seem to get anywhere. You can’t just disappear on an island which is 12 miles wide and 25 miles long," she said.

Woman's anguish as partner goes for walk on Greece holiday and never comes back

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02
Back