Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using cheap stylus (Amazon has a bunch for under $10) to poke all those ever present screens...been doing that before corona virus as who knows where people have put their fingers before they touched that screen...also useful for elevator buttons...it has a special spot in my purse so I don't go and touch that tip...

I haven’t done much shopping either. I did order masks last week. (Sorry). I did stock up on bottled water as I use a lot and didn’t want to have to go to the store. I got a mega thing of toilet paper but probably not enough for too long.

I stocked up on dog food and some cat food but I need more dry cat food. I stocked up on rubbing alcohol to put in spray bottles.

I am going out in public and my family does as well. I’m trying to limit it. Luckily my office is small but I’m doing more work from home.

But in the end I don’t know what I can do besides hope for the best and wash my hands and try to disinfect religiously.

I have been doing the following though:

1. Gargling with alcohol-based listerine every night for 30 seconds. I haven’t swabbed my nostrils yet because I had allergies. But that’s next.
2. Not taking out my phone in public. I just wait until I get home or to the office and can wash my hands real well first.
3. Disinfecting my phone with rubbing alcohol on a makeup cotton pad a few times a day.
4. Even more so not touching things in public with my fingers when possible. I use my knuckles or my arm or my shirt. Whatever I can do. I usually do that but not 100%. Now I’m doing that 100%.
5. I’m also trying to exercise harder to build up my lungs but that will take a few months.

The next thing I’m going to do is try to get zinc tablets to build up my immunity some. And maybe chew some garlic bulbs (yuck. I hate that so much) to try to stave off any infection. How Garlic Fights Colds and The Flu

BBM

Sounds like a great plan. I may imitate some of your moves. Though if I continue to substitute in the high school where I worked until I retired, could be trouble. I'm not able to replicate that by working from home. Plus - no work/no pay.

On a positive note, at least you won't have to worry about vampires. ;)

I've been using cheap stylus (Amazon has a bunch for under $10) to poke all those ever present screens...been doing that before corona virus as who knows where people have put their fingers before they touched that screen...also useful for elevator buttons...it has a special spot in my purse so I don't go and touch that tip...
Great idea! I'm going to do that.

jmo

Just got back from my local supermarket. They were swamped. Meat department was seriously wiped out. Checker says it's been nuts. P.S. I'm in San Diego, California.

I haven’t done much shopping either. I did order masks last week. (Sorry). I did stock up on bottled water as I use a lot and didn’t want to have to go to the store. I got a mega thing of toilet paper but probably not enough for too long.

I stocked up on dog food and some cat food but I need more dry cat food. I stocked up on rubbing alcohol to put in spray bottles.

I am going out in public and my family does as well. I’m trying to limit it. Luckily my office is small but I’m doing more work from home.

But in the end I don’t know what I can do besides hope for the best and wash my hands and try to disinfect religiously.

1. Gargling with alcohol-based listerine every night for 30 seconds. I haven’t swabbed my nostrils yet because I had allergies. But that’s next.
2. Not taking out my phone in public. I just wait until I get home or to the office and can wash my hands real well first.
3. Disinfecting my phone with rubbing alcohol on a makeup cotton pad a few times a day.
4. Even more so not touching things in public with my fingers when possible. I use my knuckles or my arm or my shirt. Whatever I can do. I usually do that but not 100%. Now I’m doing that 100%.
5. I’m also trying to exercise harder to build up my lungs but that will take a few months.

The next thing I’m going to do is try to get zinc tablets to build up my immunity some. And maybe chew some garlic bulbs (yuck. I hate that so much) to try to stave off any infection. How Garlic Fights Colds and The Flu
Keep chewing those garlic bulbs, you won't need to be concerned about contagious peeps getting within 6 ft. of you.

Great idea! I'm going to do that.

jmo
Tip: Check Dollar Tree or other dollar stores. When my daughter was going on a school field trip to a cold location, I put together goody bags for my chaperone group and included a stylus for each of them since their gloves might not have the phone-friendly fingertips.

The zinc lozenges are great! The dissolve slowly so it really coat your throat. I’ve also had great luck with the black elderberry syrup. I’ve not been sick all winter. YET. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from my local supermarket. They were swamped. Meat department was seriously wiped out. Checker says it's been nuts. P.S. I'm in San Diego, California.

This is kinda nuts, isn't it? Meat? Huh? Why would you stock up on something as perishable as meat? It's not like we are all going into quarantine tomorrow morning.

This is a bit like the Orson Wells "War of the Worlds " hysteria that happened in 1938.

This is kinda nuts, isn't it? Meat? Huh? Why would you stock up on something as perishable as meat? It's not like we are all going into quarantine tomorrow morning.

This is a bit like the Orson Wells "War of the Worlds " hysteria that happened in 1938.
My guess is they plan to freeze it.

I’ve been wishing this week that I had a bigger freezer myself.

I am running low on toilet paper, so went on-line to Target.com to order a bunch. While ordering, I bought a few cleaning supplies as well. Then I went to get hand sanitizer. Target was out of all of them (on-line). I then checked Walgreens and CVS.com - also all out on-line. Walmart.com also didn't have any available for shipping (I didn't check what they had in the store as I don't live near one). I called my local Walgreen's and they said they are getting a delivery on Thursday.

Last edited:
I TOLD you all to take a nap and stop posting while I was out foraging for final supplies so I don’t have to play catch up...but Noooooooo, you keep right on posting! What’s an old lady to do? :D

I feel well supplied. Had to skip a few minor items for now, but if I didn’t get it today, we don’t really need it. We will survive. Our local Oregon baby Costco Bi-Mart had lots of stuff I needed. Our favorite checker said it was crazy over the weekend. Yup, it was. I was there and had to bail out. Today I barely made it home before a meltdown, but I’m recovering OK as I watch national news, so the recovery may be delayed. :confused:

Brilliant idea!

Not really, I like to make soups, stews and chili. Then I freeze them. I don't eat or buy canned soups or stews. If I shared some you'd understand why I've owned 4 restaurants and have a good sized catering business.

For anyone looking for hand sanitizer and the drug stores are out of stock, I ordered four bottles of it at Office Depot. They mailed it right to my home.

You got lucky- they're all out now ... I called my local store and they aren't getting any more until next week. I noticed they have also placed a quantity restriction on them.

Amazon is also out of stock of all them too.

So we’’ll be self isolating at your place then :D all I really have on hand is canned soup lol. I have a Peapod cart full of stuff but I’m waiting to see what husband buys first. He’s not really concerned about my lack of toilet paper supplies. And hasn’t done his big regular shopping trip this week. So I’ll wait and see what he comes home with.
I don’t have much room in the budget to overbuy stuff.
I did stop at the pharmacy and grabbed a few things/otc meds. That’ll be used anyway at some point.

Not really, I like to make soups, stews and chili. Then I freeze them. I don't eat or buy canned soups or stews. If I shared some you'd understand why I've owned 4 restaurants and have a good sized catering business.

Haha, but, in all seriousness, do not go about bragging about your "stash of goods".
Only tell the loved ones you need to. My Opinion.

So we’’ll be self isolating at your place then :D all I really have on hand is canned soup lol. I have a Peapod cart full of stuff but I’m waiting to see what husband buys first. He’s not really concerned about my lack of toilet paper supplies. And hasn’t done his big regular shopping trip this week. So I’ll wait and see what he comes home with.
I don’t have much room in the budget to overbuy stuff.
I did stop at the pharmacy and grabbed a few things/otc meds. That’ll be used anyway at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow