GUILTY on all 3 Counts!!! Post-Verdict Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost would make one think that the original lawyer suggested MR plead guilty and that's why they parted ways, and that a very experienced trial lawyer, Mr Derstine, took on the case to ensure "it was a fair trial" (take that to mean little chance of trial errors to prevent grounds for an appeal). At least that's what I am really hoping happened here :))) Could you imagine if he'd had someone like Baez representing him?

What I am grateful for:

- The incredible effort put in by LE (Woodstock, OPP and others). One image that I will never get out of my mind was the sight of LE saluting the hearse as it drove Tori out of that field on the first steps of her journey "home".

- The excellent job done by the Crown, in spite of having one hand tied behind their back with the exclusion of the key computer/BlackBerry evidence.

- The good job done by the defence to ensure that MF had a fair trial. (Someone had to do it, and they got key evidence excluded.) This upholds the underpinnings of a civil society and reduces the possibility of a mistrial.

- The dedication of the jurors, representing us, the people....taking time away from their families and other responsibilities and having to see horrible things that people shouldn't have to see. May they hold their heads up high and tuck those images away into a dark corner of their minds, never to rear up again.

- The quality of reporting by the media, showing sensitivity and restraint. A particular nod to the London Free Press team, whose coverage was extensive, timely and respectful, is in order.

- The strength of Tori's family and the example they set. How they showed such emotional restraint through this I will never know. Tara, who has held her own through the most horrendous circumstances that any mother could face. (May she find at least some degree of peace on Mother's Day.) And Rodney, with his incredible strength. I won't even try to describe it. Muckrucker's comment said it best..I'll have to go and find it.

- Rafferty was found guilty of all three charges!

- Knowing that MR and TLM won't be able to hurt other children again.

- POF to be replaced by POB (Plenty of Bubbas).

- And, finally, the wonderful people from WS, Woodstock, all of southwestern Ontario, all of Ontario, all of Canada, the U.S., and further afield, who cared about a little girl, who touched us all.

More group hugs?? Is that still allowed after our big 'party' last night?

Good one!!! lol and yes I think more group hugs are in order!!!

wow, interesting article, defintely don't want anyone serving solitare being out in society again

wondering if they are allowed tv, radio? what do they do in there for 23 hours everyday, like other then sleep & use the toilet????

They can have a TV and a radio, books, paper, pens etc. The TV and radio has to be sent in to them by family or friends I believe. He can probably even have a pair of Pumas! No blackberry though. he he he

They can have a TV and a radio, books, paper, pens etc. The TV and radio has to be sent in to them by family or friends I believe. He can probably even have a pair of Pumas! No blackberry though. he he he

Pumas with no laces. Darn it!!!! lol

Ah your very welcome. Rafferty has no idea what he is in for. He seems like a "soft" sociopath. I expect he will go mad. MOO

bbm oh Bravo, maybe i've been on here too long but that gave me the giggles, i think your probably right

i have to say this somewhere public...because God knows, I've said it to Him....

Tara,,,I'm sorry I judged you...I will NEVER make that misake again.

If it weren't for you we wouldn't have all the pics....and you single handedly kept the focus...in the original first days...doesn't matter now how you did it but you did!

God Bless your strength...and I'm not even really all that religious I just don't know how else to put it.

Meant to post this yesterday. You will find comfort in this article.

http://www.thestar.com/specialsections/article/114781--a-visit-to-hell-in-bernardo-wing

Thanks for posting this.

Further to my 'grateful' post above, this really highlights the impact on journalists of covering these horrendous trials. In the quote below, it relates to covering the Bernardo trial.

As his four-month trial dragged on in 1995 I began fantasizing about hurting the man who had hurt so many people. In my daydream, I would vault over the benches, grab him by the neck, throw him to the floor and give him a punch in the mouth for each of his victims. For good measure, I would throw in a couple of extra blows for myself.

Was I losing it, I wondered. The Star had brought in a counsellor to talk to those who were covering the trial and editing the copy. "I'm fine," I told her. I wasn't. One evening after court, when a group of reporters covering the trial gathered at a bar to drown our anguish in booze, I blurted out my fantasy.

To my surprise, several others had been thinking the exact same thing.

I heard that many journalists waiting outside the courthouse last night let out a cheer when the verdict was announced. And, of course, there are others who were 'subjected' to the disturbing details of the case (like courthouse staff, legal teams, etc.) To all of you, I hope you find a measure of peace. We think of the jurors. We think of the family. We thank LE for their diligence. But these people and more are affected by the case.

That IS a great article and while it did provide me some warm comfort I still would rather this outcome!

http://www.change.org/petitions/tori-s-law

after reading all those articles of the 2.5 by 3 cell.. maybe give the prisoners the option, some will probably take it

sure is scarey that the Wills guy would ever be let out, actually any of them... please tell me they don't let these prisoners in solitare out in society again, they'd be 20x plus worse then when they went in

I was at the grocery store tonight and I stopped to look at the Toronto Sun and there was Tori on the cover of the paper with large print saying "justice"

I starting crying, I still have so many emotions still because now I know she truly suffered by the hands of a sick twisted monster.

The one thing I will say is thank you to the Toronto Sun for putting her face on the cover and not the monster like they did with Bernardo.

I just felt the love that everyone had for this little angel

I am not sure if I am allowed to ask this but during his interrogation I think it was smyth that asked him if he had a 7 yr old daughter and Rafferty said "I'm sure you"ll find out"

I heard this info 3 yrs ago and now this all makes me wonder, actually there is another thing that makes me wonder but I am positive I can't bring it up.

I do have one complaint about Derstine. He should have prevented MR from wearing that purple shirt into the courtroom.

Really, he should've.

That was incredibly crass and disrespectful.

The jury may have felt the same way ...

Rafferty was arrested on May 19th 2009
the vigil for Tori is on May 19, 2012.

just another coincidence!

If only that was how it was going to be. Unfortunately, we all know he will be kept in segregation for his own protection, too many convicts would want to kill him. Prison officials have to keep him alive.

If he`d gone free, I`d be extremely fearful of meeting this crazy *advertiser censored** deviant nut in a dark alley!!![/QUOTE]

I would be scared of my children meeting him. However, me? I would welcome meeting this SOB in a dark alley.

P.S. It wasn't me having the baby :) (Thank god!) It was Allanea I believe.

Oops, was always horrible remembering names :) Well I hope Allanae is doing well and the baby!! If it's here yet :)

Oh my it says at the end of the video MTR may speak as well if he chooses. Yikes!!!!

He didn't speak at his trial. JMO, but I doubt he will speak at his sentencing, he couldn't even look Det. Smyth in the face at his interrogation, he is a coward, more so for the heinous crime on a defenseless little girl.

Rafferty was arrested on May 19th 2009
the vigil for Tori is on May 19, 2012.

just another coincidence!

They found Tori's remains on July 19th, 2009 - on that day I had just bought a Child Find Tote, the next day we found out Tori's remains were found, and isn't TLM's birthday on the 19th of June.

Also, there was exactly a 10 year difference between Rafferty, TLM, and TS

I agree that a separate thread would be a good idea... and I agree with your suggestions.

The other thing that struck me was the amount of work the LE was required to put into their application for their search warrant. I believe I read it was in excess of 200 pages, and took over 36 hours to formulate. Why on earth would all that be necessary? It seems a ridiculous and unnecessary use of LE time and resources. Shouldn't it be as simple as 'we need a search warrant for X's vehicle and its contents; we need to collect samples from any and all surfaces within that vehicle or on or in the contents of that vehicle'. Does anyone here know more about what LE needs to specify in their application that would take so long and require so much content?

ETA - I was wrong - it was over 300 pages!!!

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/05/10/toris-mom-an-early-suspect

Someone suggested that a wiretap should have been obtained for the detention centre where TLM had two meetings with Rafferty. Wiretap applications are the same ...a couple of hundred pages of ensuring that every detail is carefully laid out. Any error results in the entire thing being tossed ... like the computer search. No warrant would ever be granted to wiretap a public space like the visiting area in a detention centre.

I've seen US search warrants that were issued to obtain information on Jason Young's and Brad Cooper. They were sparse, brief and borderline fishing expeditions. That sort of thing doesn't happen in Canada. If police want access, everything has to be in order ... no room for fishing expeditions ... and it usually requires 200-300 pages ... part of which are formality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
detectivegotcha