GUILTY on all 3 Counts!!! Post-Verdict Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree about the death penalty. Bernardo is losing his mind and I get more satisfaction from that. If you asked Bernardo if he would rather have been put to death at this point I think he would. Mr will suffer.

IMO if anything these men should not be in solitary confinement they should be in general population and be tormented by everyone in there. Jmo

So you know for a fact that prisoners get legal aid for appeals? I didn't know that. I thought I saw it mentioned here that they usually mount their own appeals, but maybe that's in the U.S. Anybody know for sure how it works in Canada?

i thought legal aid was to defend you against litigation. But not to initiate litigation by you. IMO

i thought legal aid was to defend you against litigation. But not to initiate litigation by you. IMO

This page seems to cover appeals as well:

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/info/panel_standards_esm.asp

"Chapter 9: Criminal Law Legal Aid Services

The handling of criminal appeals and services for cases that raise systemic issues are important aspects of the legal aid system. They may result in procedural or substantive changes that secure individual rights or enhance system-wide efficiencies. Much of this work is legally complex and often relates to intricate Charter issues. Regardless of whether the lawyers delivering these services are salaried, on block contract, or part of the judicare panel, lawyers doing legal aid work should be providing effective representation of this nature."

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/olar/ch9.asp

So I wonder if we will be seeing MR in an orange prison suit, and shackles tomorrow at the sentencing. He is a convicted criminal now.

ps can't wait to see his mincing dance step with those ankle chains.

I have to agree about the death penalty. Bernardo is losing his mind and I get more satisfaction from that. If you asked Bernardo if he would rather have been put to death at this point I think he would. Mr will suffer.

IMO if anything these men should not be in solitary confinement they should be in general population and be tormented by everyone in there. Jmo

As much as I agree that they should be in general pop, I think they are in segregation not only for their own safety, but also to protect other inmates. That's the way I see it. Imagine someone like Bernardo, Williams, MR, all three apparently sexual sadists serving their sentence with some guy who is only serving time for selling weed KWIM

I have no sympathy for them ... and clearly the author is confused about the reason that one of her roommates is incarcerated in max security ... it's defintely not because she is "native".

"Finally there is another young woman in jail like so many others, because she is native."

http://mostlywater.org/what_do_you_imagine_life_maximum_security_prison_be

Waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa....sick of hearing how poor the conditions are in jail...be a law abiding citizen and stay out of jail!!!!!!! Too crowded around the table, they are bored......Im sure Tori would have some complaints, if she were alive today, about the scum bags that she met up with on April 8th.

As much as I agree that they should be in general pop, I think they are in segregation not only for their own safety, but also to protect other inmates. That's the way I see it. Imagine someone like Bernardo, Williams, MR, all three apparently sexual sadists serving their sentence with some guy who is only serving time for selling weed KWIM
Someone who is in for selling weed isn't going to be in max.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I was genuinely interested in a proposed plan of action; one that includes viable options. I have followed the capital punishment positions and statements of government officials because I am not in favour of having capital punishment re-instated in Canada for any reason. It is not a deterrent and it is inconsistent with the concept of rehabilitation. After reading your post about doing something to prevent crimes like this from occurring, I reviewed several Canadian based child safe websites but decided not to link any of them because they all seemed too general.

Well, life imprisonment was not a deterrent for TLM and MTR because they didn't plan on being caught. Why would the death penalty have deterred them?

..sorry you all missed my POINT! I am talking for Tori;s FAMILY !! Rodney lost his precious child...THINK back to the trial when the awesome Crown showed the jury MR's car in that darn home depot ...He told the jury to pay attention to the time crazed MR was left with Sweet Tori!...was in 10 mins...well in that brief time TLM was given instruction by Mr to go into Home depot ...he reminded the jury That a smart 8 year old was left alone with him...he asked them to THINK OF TORi...what do you all think she heard ...ya TLM get a hammer and grabage bags ..." we can not keep Tori...all I have to say is TERROR that poor child felt left in that darn Honda civic car!.. ....

I hope Rodney gets his wish..." let Tori be remembered in the next 5 years as the child who changed CANADIAN LAW to help KEEP other children SAFE"....end of my dicussion....the tori law is a well addressed letter that adresses all this and concerned Parent's and grandparents added their thoughts ...if you are trully interested go look at it.....written by a concerned Parent! ...not started by Rodney either ....Ontario has been terrorized by this Trial....and I personally could have been that primary grade 2/3 teacher ...again this could have happened any where....I know how I would feel if this was my child....robynhood...IMO I like the late Kennedy;s famous speech " Ask not what your country can do for you...Ask what you can do for your country ...JMO !...I will not enter a debate about this either...again not the place!!I personally shudder at the thought of her dealth and Tori's final 2 hours no innocent child should ... EVER EXPEARience this ...ever!...amber law changed ont...I have seen less child abuctions ....the end of sharing how much I care....and I will not" cool my jets"as this is horrific IMO...!

Someone who is in for selling weed isn't going to be in max.

I agree, Somone who is in for selling weed would not be put into max, but they could be moved into max if they become a threat to other inmates while on the inside.

Robynhood, I just looked up "Tori's law" -- is there more to it than this, or is this the whole thing:

We, the undersigned, believe that when there is irrefutable evidence that a child was murdered with forethought, the murderer should lose their right to live within our society and should be put to death.
Canadians strongly oppose the continued support of these individuals.

We want this to be called Tori's Law.

Sign Petition HERE

I think everyone who has read about this case would like to see some kind of good come out of it and there's no doubt that everyone here stands behind Tori's family.

That said, I have to agree with Otto that if Tori's law is about re-instituting the death penalty in Canada, it isn't likely to get very much support. MOO
Having read the discussions here every day during this trial, I think there other possibilities for critique and reform though, and some have already been addressed by some smart WS'ers. I think it's possible to support Tori's family by remembering her and advocating on her behalf even if our ideas for change may not be unified.

Can I ask a couple of OT questions here, since I don't know where else I can do it?

I was following the Randall Hopley case--that's the guy in Sparwood, BC, who abducted KH and then brought him back. I found one thread about it, but it was closed and the link to the new thread doesn't work. I am curious what happened with that. Was he convicted? Is he in jail?

Link to story. He plead guilty.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/03/26/bc-hopley-plea.html

So you know for a fact that prisoners get legal aid for appeals? I didn't know that. I thought I saw it mentioned here that they usually mount their own appeals, but maybe that's in the U.S. Anybody know for sure how it works in Canada?

Legal Aid Ontario

To qualify for legal aid services, you must be financially eligible, and your legal matter must be one that LAO covers.
Shows income level tier of defendants applying.

http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/getting/eligibility.asp

APPEALS:
Big Case Management for appeals
Although the $20,000 threshold applies, Big Case Management for appeals to the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada has a separate process.
If you believe a matter is likely to qualify, you should forward a letter to LAO's provincial office (Attention: Big Case Management Appeals). The letter should set out the details concerning the appeal. It should also include supporting documentation such as the original opinion letter, and appropriate time requirements to complete the appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member