Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of which was down to her.

She told Dave Halls quite specifically that she needed to hand the gun to Baldwin and to call her back.

This was a case of other people ignoring the rules, not the armourer.
This doesn't really make sense to me. That is what she claims. But it doesn't make sense. If she has to give the gun to AB, then why leave it with Halls at all?

This doesn't really make sense to me. That is what she claims. But it doesn't make sense. If she has to give the gun to AB, then why leave it with Halls at all?
She was doing two jobs, one of which she wasn't contracted to do but this production was cheap. Maybe it just worked out easier to get the gun and leave it with Halls rather than having to go fetch it later and then go back to the Church with it?

I don't know. It makes little difference though because she told Halls what she expected of him and stated that she had to hand it to Baldwin.

Yes, it's what she claims but I'm not hearing anyone refuting that. DH hasn't as far as I'm aware.

None of which was down to her.

She told Dave Halls quite specifically that she needed to hand the gun to Baldwin and to call her back.

This was a case of other people ignoring the rules, not the armourer.

That is her version of events. You can believe everything she says, but while she is defending herself, she may not be saying the full truth of the events. Unless you have been on a Hollywood set, I don't know if you understand the complexity of the roles and their responsibilities.

She was doing two jobs, one of which she wasn't contracted to do but this production was cheap. Maybe it just worked out easier to get the gun and leave it with Halls rather than having to go fetch it later and then go back to the Church with it?

I don't know. It makes little difference though because she told Halls what she expected of him and stated that she had to hand it to Baldwin.

Yes, it's what she claims but I'm not hearing anyone refuting that. DH hasn't as far as I'm aware.
It seems to that her statement she left it with Halls violated the rules as well. but keep in mind, the SAG rules are really just guidelines. Were they applicable on this set? It does not appear that even on Hollywood sets they were consistently enforced.
But essentially what she is claiming is that Dave Hall inserted (or someone else in those minutes when the gun was in his possession) a live round into that gun. Why? That is murder. Is that really believable? She is going to have to provide a context for that to occur because otherwise I just don't see a jury buying it.

I once saw a picture of her
(on this thread)
with a little girl who was holding a kind of rifle :oops:
It was on some film set.

Well,
it told me everything about this "armourer", cough, cough, that I needed to know about this person's professionalism
:rolleyes:

No further comments.

Justice for Halyna!!!!!!

David Halls gives a different version from HGR, it came out in his OSHA deposition.

On Dec. 13, 2022, Halls participated in a Zoom deposition with attorneys from the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau.

Halls has come in for harsh criticism for two actions just prior to the shooting. First, according to the widely reported narrative, Halls took the gun from Gutierrez Reed and handed it to Baldwin. (First A.D.s typically do not touch firearms on set.) Second, he declared it a “cold gun,” meaning it did not carry an explosive charge.

But in his deposition, Halls denied that he had done either of those things.

Halls testified that he checked the gun with Gutierrez Reed — as was their typical practice — and then she was the one who handed it directly to Baldwin.

He also said he did not announce that it was a “cold gun.”

“I don’t have any recollection of me saying that,” Halls said. “I have recollections of Hannah saying it.”

Halls’ version is at odds with Gutierrez Reed’s account, which she has given in police interviews and in her own OSHA deposition, which took place on Dec. 7. She has said that she handed the gun to Halls, and that Baldwin was not in the room when she walked out.

I once saw a picture of her
(on this thread)
with a little girl who was holding a kind of rifle :oops:
It was on some film set.

Well,
it told me everything about this "armourer", cough, cough, that I needed to know about this person's professionalism
:rolleyes:

No further comments.

Justice for Halyna!!!!!!

‘Rust’ armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed once gave unchecked gun to 11-year-old actor: report​

The “inexperienced” armorer in charge of weapons on set of Alec Baldwin’s movie “Rust” had given a gun to an 11-year-old actress without checking properly for safety, a report said.

Gutierrez-Reed’s alleged misstep happened on the set of the upcoming Nicholas Cage film, “The Old Way” and temporarily halted filming, sources told The Daily Beast.

“She was reloading the gun on the ground, where there were pebbles and stuff,” one source told the outlet. “We didn’t see her check it, we didn’t know if something got in the barrel or not.”

Gutierrez-Reed reportedly handed the gun to child actress Ryan Kiera Armstrong, forcing concerned crew members to intervene, the report said. The gun was then checked for barrel obstruction, according to the sources.

“She was a bit careless with the guns, waving it around every now and again,” a source said.
“There were a couple times she was loading the blanks and doing it in a fashion that we thought was unsafe.”

Last edited:
David Halls gives a different version from HGR, it came out in his OSHA deposition.

On Dec. 13, 2022, Halls participated in a Zoom deposition with attorneys from the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau.

Halls has come in for harsh criticism for two actions just prior to the shooting. First, according to the widely reported narrative, Halls took the gun from Gutierrez Reed and handed it to Baldwin. (First A.D.s typically do not touch firearms on set.) Second, he declared it a “cold gun,” meaning it did not carry an explosive charge.

But in his deposition, Halls denied that he had done either of those things.

Halls testified that he checked the gun with Gutierrez Reed — as was their typical practice — and then she was the one who handed it directly to Baldwin.

He also said he did not announce that it was a “cold gun.”

“I don’t have any recollection of me saying that,” Halls said. “I have recollections of Hannah saying it.”

Halls’ version is at odds with Gutierrez Reed’s account, which she has given in police interviews and in her own OSHA deposition, which took place on Dec. 7. She has said that she handed the gun to Halls, and that Baldwin was not in the room when she walked out.
I don't fully believe either one of them. Their tales are too self-serving. (Baldwin's too of course.)

We'll see at trial. I'm sure there will be witnesses testifying as to who was in possession of the gun and who handed it to Alec.

That deal smells to the high heavens.
We don't really know what the Prosecutors relied on to agree to that. I assume they believe him that it was HGR that handed the gun to AB. The current prosecutors may indeed wish that the deal hadn't been cut, but it was and they have to deal with it. But, in light of it, strategically, it makes sense for HGR's team to point the finger at him.

Last edited:

What has been explained to me by people who work on films is that there is a rule of "three's" in stunt work and prop gun situations.

One person has primary responsibility for making the weapon safe (that would be HGR). That person then does the full safety check in front of another person (sometimes the A.D., sometimes a stunt coordinator). That person then checks the gun again, on their own, and then does the same check with the actor when they hand it off (and actor is supposed to do the same check). Naturally, some of this gets omitted on low budget films, but the live rounds on the set was the wild card here.

There was a report based on an interview with HGR's father (who had just done a gun intensive movie using the same ammo dealer/gun renter who was the one used by Rust - Seth Kenney). He said that he had this man ship him a canister of live rounds, so that the actors could go out in a well-regulated shooting range experience and get the feel of how a gun recoils (they would not be using any enabled guns on this set, apparently). The actors had to enact the recoil on their own, the sound and smoke would be dubbed in later (sound is almost always dubbed in later). So that's what HGR's father organized. I believe he said that he thought it possible that when canisters went back to SK, ammo may have been mixed.

As I understand it, SK was paid a flat fee to be "mentor armorer" (by text and phone) on Rust. There's no evidence he was ever on the set. It was still the job of the actual armorer (HGR) to make sure only dummies or blanks went into the gun. On that day of shooting, it should have been dummies, because use of blanks requires several other protocols (such as ear protection for the crew).

IMO.

Agree. IIRC, she just left it laying on a table outside the church/set along with some other props, etc.
correct. Either she is lying and she did leave it on the table, violation of SAG rules, or she handed it to Hall (violation of SAG rules) neither helps her. Or she did hand it AB herself. Or she is telling the truth in which case the prosecution gave the sweetheart deal to the wrong guy, which this completely dysfunctional prosecution is NOT about to admit.

correct. Either she is lying and she did leave it on the table, violation of SAG rules, or she handed it to Hall (violation of SAG rules) neither helps her. Or she did hand it AB herself. Or she is telling the truth in which case the prosecution gave the sweetheart deal to the wrong guy, which this completely dysfunctional prosecution is NOT about to admit.

And none of that helps her immediate supervisor (or the person who supervised both HGR and the props department).

AD was himself in a supervisory position (but HGR was not his direct report). He should have called HGR in and called her supervisor. Because one of his roles as AD is set safety.

When the Sheriff spokeperson looked into the camera on about day 10 of this tragedy and said "We know WHO put the ammunition in the gun," I think the DA must surely have listened. I thought it meant the obvious: that someone (HGR most likely) left DNA on the ammo - probably single source, plus also fingerprints. She goes on to say that they don't yet know the HOW of why that person (unnamed) had live ammo on the set.

Something like that. The AD could well have faced a lot of time (being a bit higher up the administrative chain plus...disobeying known protocols AND the rules of safe gun handling). He got busy and made a deal.

I do think it's very sad that making deals like this happens and it is definitely dysfunctional. Justice is not served with that procedure.

And none of that helps her immediate supervisor (or the person who supervised both HGR and the props department).

AD was himself in a supervisory position (but HGR was not his direct report). He should have called HGR in and called her supervisor. Because one of his roles as AD is set safety.

When the Sheriff spokeperson looked into the camera on about day 10 of this tragedy and said "We know WHO put the ammunition in the gun," I think the DA must surely have listened. I thought it meant the obvious: that someone (HGR most likely) left DNA on the ammo - probably single source, plus also fingerprints. She goes on to say that they don't yet know the HOW of why that person (unnamed) had live ammo on the set.

Something like that. The AD could well have faced a lot of time (being a bit higher up the administrative chain plus...disobeying known protocols AND the rules of safe gun handling). He got busy and made a deal.

I do think it's very sad that making deals like this happens and it is definitely dysfunctional. Justice is not served with that procedure.
It doesn't help him but it sure doesn't hurt him, because he made his deal in the criminal case and I believe the civil case was settled. Plea deals are the way most cases are resolved and usually very appropriate. But in this case, the prosecutor (and I don't know which one it was) made this deal well ahead of knowing a lot of the facts. That shouldn't happen. But we are on the third configuration of prosecutors on this case. And it is still well off the rails. What is the State going to tell the jury? Who handed the gun to AB?

It doesn't help him but it sure doesn't hurt him, because he made his deal in the criminal case and I believe the civil case was settled. Plea deals are the way most cases are resolved and usually very appropriate. But in this case, the prosecutor (and I don't know which one it was) made this deal well ahead of knowing a lot of the facts. That shouldn't happen. But we are on the third configuration of prosecutors on this case. And it is still well off the rails. What is the State going to tell the jury? Who handed the gun to AB?
The State's biggest problem is going to be keeping him off the stand. What are the chances they can pull that off?

Keeping who off the stand?

I assume the OP meant AB - but he's not going to take the stand. He's going to listen to his expensive attorneys, IMO.

As he should. No one can be compelled to take the stand against themselves. But I've read elsewhere that people believe that AB can't avoid the spotlight - no matter where it shines. I disagree. I think he's legally savvy and well-defended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylvanianvicious