Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There isnt any law on the books that Im aware that prevents LE or guards from saying things to the prisoner...even if theyre untrue....... in an attempt to get him to talk.

They could have told him that they found Hannahs body days ago. Just to see what his reaction would be.

Im not even sure if he allowed television, visitation or other privileges such as the newspaper at this point so he could be completely in the dark as to whats going on.

Im basing the "good guard" act on what Ive personally witnessed in my misspent youth. Some of them would indeed act like your best friend, give you extra food, kid around and joke and then ask a serious question when no one was around to get you to talk.

I spent 3 months in a county jail due to non-violent drug charges when I was 18. Been clean ever since.

Other prisoners even warned each other about the guards doing this, but since hes in solitary confinement/presumably on suicide watch then he wouldnt know that.

He's invoked his right to silence and has an attorney. I don't see LE risking anything that could be used to derail a trial or give his attorney any reason to appeal a conviction.

GRR to frustrated. Just tell us if it is Hannah. jmo

I'm not saying they would have an ID on the owner of the DNA, but that the DNA matched another anonymous sample on file. When they entered profiles from the MH case and from the Fairfax case, they didn't know whose DNA it was, but they found a match. If they have DNA from the scene of AM's murder, I'm wondering why that wasn't entered to see if there was a match to any other unsolved crimes with DNA evidence. Does that make sense?

When they got JM's buccal swab, I'm sure it was run against all cases with DNA on file. That the Fairfax case has pressed charges is a good indicator that there was a match there. And that is a very straightforward case with good DNA samples likely obtained. I believe RAT 's attorney in the AM case has made a formal request for the unidentified DNA in that case to be run against JM's. I saw a copy of the request on this forum, and LE has agreed to the request. What is happening with the MH case and DNA matches, we have yet to hear or read anything.

My guess is that while awaiting fornsic confirmation on the body believe to be Hannah Graham's, there are all sorts of other things happening. There has been an undercurrent of resentment that this incredible effort in searching for Hannah has not been done for Alexis Murphy's body. Why not? Yes, a conviction was secured, but even before it, there were not these efforts, and her famiily would like her home too. If I were in that camp, I'd be having a word with LE about this, so no, I am not surprised that some more effort is going to be made to look for AM. She and her family deserve that effort. The DA in that case as stated outright that no DNA info has been relayed to him in the case at this time, and I'm inclined to believe him. Also I doubt RAT's attorney would wait a second if got word of JM's DNA coming up with a hit. No, I don't think that 's the case.

As for cooperation, on the Fairfax case, it's possible that the DA, county, state, would prefer to do a deal there and JM is maybe receptive to it. He pleads guilty and everyone can end that right there.. Trials are huge eaters of resources. And though the detective on the case has kept in touch with the victim, how she feels about coming to the trial, might be a whole other story. She may not even be in this country. A guilty plea and a stiff sentence there could be the best way to go for the commonwealth. It's not like DP or the most severe penalities are possible with those charges. Can get down to business with the murder cases.

On an earlier version of this thread, I explained that we have a speedy trial requirement here in Virginia when some were speculating that it would take years for a case against Matthew to come to trial. I know that our short time frame for prosecution came as a surprise to many. Here is an article just posted explaining it in a little more detail.
http://www.nbc29.com/story/26850202/clock-ticks-for-jurisdictions-prosecuting-jesse-matthew

The defendant can waive that right. I suspect Camblos will advise him to. JMO.

I can only speak to our statute which I posted earlier. Our statute does not require that the defendant make a demand for a speedy trial. There is a mandatory time frame for case to be tried or it is dismissed. One of the exceptions to the requirement is a request for a continuance made by defendant. Depending on the case, a defendant may be happy for the prosecution to have to get its act together in a short time frame. That is one of the reasons you see very thorough investigations before charges are brought. It was also the reason, imo, for the unprecedented search effort for Hannah Graham.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-243

So no motion for a speedy trial has to be filed by the defense? And thank you so much for your response.

(from TxJan1971 on the 2005 thread.)
I had missed this on pg 2. In case someone hasn't seen it.

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/article_014f083a-5965-11e4-b67d-67a03ffc3f40.html

"Matthew's attorney, James L. Camblos III, said Tuesday he will not be representing Matthew in the Fairfax rape and abduction case. He also declined to say whether he told his client that the remains found Saturday are suspected of being Graham’s."

So, does that mean his attorney is bailing on him? Or does he just want him to get a local (Fairfax) attorney for this case? Either way, it doesn't look good.

I believe he has been. Someone mentioned in an earlier thread there is no toilet in JLMs cell. (believe it or not prisoners have plugged them up and drowned themselves in one)

I may be completely wrong, but JLM doesn't strike me as the type to commit suicide. I sense that if he loves no one else, he loves himself. He may pretend to be suicidal if he thinks he can get better treatment by doing so. And I also don't see him confessing to any murders. He seems to be the type, imo, who would go to his grave swearing he was set up. JMO

Isn't that mighty convenient for him? Kill, rape, and do it again. "Oops, sorry. Please forgive me.":doh:

Generally speaking, we can't get into the thinking process of serial killers. They are disturbed and distort reality.

<snipped for space>

As for cooperation, on the Fairfax case, it's possible that the DA, county, state, would prefer to do a deal there and JM is maybe receptive to it. He pleads guilty and everyone can end that right there.. Trials are huge eaters of resources. And though the detective on the case has kept in touch with the victim, how she feels about coming to the trial, might be a whole other story. She may not even be in this country. A guilty plea and a stiff sentence there could be the best way to go for the commonwealth. It's not like DP or the most severe penalities are possible with those charges. Can get down to business with the murder cases.

At the time, she returned to India. No telling if she'd be inclined to come back (if still there).

So, does that mean his attorney is bailing on him? Or does he just want him to get a local (Fairfax) attorney for this case? Either way, it doesn't look good.
He stated he was hired as JLM's attorney before any charges were brought; I would think he doesn't have to represent him in any charges related to Morgan or Hannah either. It will be interesting to see if he continues as JLM's attorney when more (local) charges are brought.

I know that attorneys have to be admitted to practice in certain court jurisdictions, or have a local attorney with them (can't remember the term for that). My question would be is Camblos allowed to practice in Fairfax county courts (any VA court), or does that apply to attorneys wanting to represent a client in other states?

ETA

Pro hac vice

Seems to apply to attorneys out of state; so does that mean since Camblos is a member of the VA Bar, he can practice in Fairfax County courts?

I may be completely wrong, but JLM doesn't strike me as the type to commit suicide. I sense that if he loves no one else, he loves himself. He may pretend to be suicidal if he thinks he can get better treatment by doing so. And I also don't see him confessing to any murders. He seems to be the type, imo, who would go to his grave swearing he was set up. JMO

His demeanor during his "run" is very telling, no guilt and remorse. I honestly thought he would have killed himself knowing what was getting ready to be exposed. How can some become so desensitized?

Exactly. Jean C on CNN reported the day remains were found that they were found IN a structure, so LE could gather more evidence, blah blah blah. I think we're more careful about stating things as "fact" here on WS than they are over at CNN!

Hey, don't be dissing my jinkasaurus. ;)

I think that works when a known person's DNA is already in the database. IIRC, the samples were unknown so I would think they actually have to run tests from the beginning to see what matches what (and how many times can a DNA be run on a given sample?). But I am not even close to an expert on this. Just seems logical that they don't put a DNA profile that doesn't have a known person attached to it into a computer to save for posterity. I think of complicated crime scenes where there could be dozens of "innocent" DNA gathered and tested and I wouldn't think they keep it all (heck, we could all be in there!). But if they can and do, that would be really interesting to me:)

First they need to get the DNA sample and purify it, then they need to amplify it so they have it in high quantity, and then they need to sequence parts of it that tend to be unique between individuals (they aren't going to do a full genome sequencing), and only then would it be entered. (This is a vastly oversimplified protocol.)

This is how biological research labs would do this kind of testing. (Source--I'm a biology phd student)

For some reason when I try to quote posts it keeps quoting a mod about not posting personal info re: family members.

But anyway, to the poster who said they were going into JM's house on Fox News - what did it look like?

He stated he was hired as JLM's attorney before any charges were brought; I would think he doesn't have to represent him in any charges related to Morgan or Hannah either. It will be interesting to see if he continues as JLM's attorney when more (local) charges are brought.

I know that attorneys have to be admitted to practice in certain court jurisdictions, or have a local attorney with them (can't remember the term for that). My question would be is Camblos allowed to practice in Fairfax county courts (any VA court), or does that apply to attorneys wanting to represent a client in other states?

ETA

Pro hac vice

Seems to apply to attorneys out of state; so does that mean since Camblos is a member of the VA Bar, he can practice in Fairfax County courts?

I'm pretty sure that if you've passed the state bar exam, you can practice law in any jurisdiction in that state. I'm thinking Camblos doesn't want to represent Matthew in Fairfax due to 1. Matthew isn't going to be able to afford to pay him for a lengthy trial and 2. Fairfax isn't a convenient location - it would disrupt any other cases that Camblos has locally and that wouldn't be fair to those clients. Unless another legal fund has been set up for Matthew, I predict court appointed attorneys in his future.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the constitutional right to a speedy trial (in some states 120 days) only exercised if demanded by the defendant? Your post didn't word it that way which is why I'm asking. Most trials don't take place within that time frame as it's usually not in the best interest of the defendant to rush to trial, IMO

Each state has its own rules and procedures. In some states, it's five (or six or nine or whatever) calendar months. In others, it's case time. Each state has different procedures for managing cases and different rules for how and when the process can be invoked.

In New York, if there's a delay that causes a hearing to be rescheduled, the requested extension counts against the timeline -- but since the dockets are heavily overloaded, most cases can't be rescheduled within the requested time, and the delay caused by the backlog does NOT count. So a defendant can be sitting in jail for a couple of years but only accumulate 180 days of "trial time." This happened to a guy I know a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee