Has the Caylee case changed how you parent your own children?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously, when your kids tell mistruths you automatically ca? is that cause casey is a pathogical liar? please tell me thats what you meant.

What I meant was that my son tells small lies sometimes which seem pretty insignificant. Having seen what happens though when parents let kids get away with lies, like what we have seen with Casey, it's made me tougher on even the smallest lie. My son is only 10 so there's no serious stuff going on, just that I see how important it is now is all I guess. I guess I was just wondering if anyone felt like I did.

P.s. Sorry I didn't respond for so long. I started this thread on Friday and then went away on a small vacation with the family. Got back today to find out the judge has excused himself. LOL, holy cow!

I don't want children and I don't have them, so no.

But what I did do right was decide that since I don't want children I won't have them...whereas Casey had one she really didn't want and, well...the rest is history.

She did change the way I view a lot of things, but she also helped reaffirm my decision. People who don't want and can't care properly for children should just not have them. There are no excuses anymore.

I have a couple of friends who feel like you do about having kids of your own. I completely and totally applaud you knowing this about yourself before you get yourself in that situation! I think in a lot of these cases if the parent had had that same forethought there would be a lot less children being murdered.

My daughter was pregnant when she graduated high school. I knew she was but she wouldn't admit it. She was 19 and I couldn't make her go to the doctor since she was an "adult". She finally went when she was 4 months pregnant. She wanted an abortion, then didn't. She wanted to keep it then didn't. After this precious baby girl was born, she wanted to run and play with her boyfriend, not the baby's father, and left my granddaughter with me. My daughter didn't call or come home for 5 months. How ironic that in July 2008 we adopted our beautiful "daughter"!! Then the Casey case made headlines. THAT WAS MY DAUGHTER! She was self centered and lied just to lie! Still does. I'm so thankful for my little one and I know she would have never had a chance. I cherish this new beginning as I am now 48 with a 3 year old. I wouldn't change a thing. except I wouldn't have let my grown daughter slide because she was like my ex( her dad). I will never forgive myself for that, but I have forgiven my grown daughter, for I have been given a wonderful gift! Thanks for this thread and letting me share.

God bless you for being the Grandparents the A's could never be. Hugs. Thanks for thanking me for the thread. LOL. I didn't mean to leave you hanging. We've been out of town. :dance:

Honestly I have to say yes.

My son is 7 and because he was so ill when he was younger we were extremely easy on him and let him get away with WAY more than he should. However since this case and looking into sociopaths and narcissism, I see some of these traits and I have gotten a lot stricter with him.

I can totally relate! My son has had health issues also. It's hard to be on them when they are feeling so miserable. I get it. I am calling him on any lie now and at the same time expressing how very much I love him. That way I can lose my mommy guilt and keep him on the right path at the same time.

Actually Casey has changed my ways. When my daughter was fired from a job for not showing up, then I got a call on the house phone from her new job saying she didn't show up, I immediately thought of Casey. When my daughter took my credit card without my knowing, for gas, I immediately thought of Casey. We have since fixed things, still, I told my daughter that she was not going to pull a Casey on me. She knows what Casey did and she was none to happy when I said that. She said I was comparing her to a murderer. I told her no, it was the lying, and then taking of the credit card without permission. It's a road to nowhere and can get worse if it continues. She hasn't done it since. (it's been a few months)

I refuse to sweep it all under the rug like the Anthony's did, and let my daughter rule the roost. And I refuse to have my daughter turn into Casey. It opened my eyes to what happens when you make excuses for your older children and not teach them responsibility and honesty.

I've learned a lot from this case. And not just the legal aspects.

No, but yes.

What the case has done for me is renewed my vision and courage. I have a dd KC's age...you know for all her faults (cause she is human and not perfect) she is doing really well as a parent, taking responsibility etc. Just showed me I actually did okay raising her. Yes, there are some things I can learn from but for the most part we did okay.

I also have a renewed vision for my younger children. Age range here is 25 down to 1 yr including a son that is Caylee's age. Just holding limits, loving them...not giving into every whim...but also cherishing each moment looking at my own motives...my own selfishness...etc...

I can't say this case has really changed my parenting strategy, my children are all still little, and our worries are little too. I have 5 under the age of 10, so its busy and loud, but happy and structured too. There has always been a spirit of teamwork, and for sure accountability in our home. I can frequently being heard congratulating the littlest on his " good choices" haha, he probably doesnt know what I mean yet, but I try to allow them to make their decisions and be accountable for them. I definately have stopped to wonder at how great my children are, and what I have to be thankful for though. I can tell you I do pay closer attention to other peoples children too. If I see a child that I suspect is in danger or being neglected, I make the call. I probably wouldnt have stopped to do that before, but perhaps Im more aware of how quickly a situation can go from neglect to danger or worse. If the child isnt in a neglectful situation, then my call does no harm. If my call helps saves one child from being hurt, then its a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesspi