HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we had discussed in the past that Tammy wrangled a family trip out of what was supposed to be an individual event. We're going back a ways now so I could never remember when and where this was discussed but I do remember something like that.

I hold my philosophy about law and convictions (i.e. guilt or innocence) per the American way of "innocent until proven guilty". However, I don't necessarily apply that philosophy to scientific deduction regarding DNA. They are two different topics and two different animals, so to speak.

That being said....statistically speaking, finding a victim on a likely culprit's route of disposal, finding sheets that are the likely culprit's obsession (Mickey M) and finding the victim in a pink bathrobe (the last known meeting was in the wee hours/past bedtime) totally increase the odds that it may very well be HE.

To be clear, I am not stating that it is definately HE but rather this: the odds are certainly pointing in that direction, imho.

moo

Except that somebody would be able to identify the bathrobe, most especially Heather's friend/roommate that would have seen it in their apartment.

I kind of agree with you, Hoppy, about her not trusting SM, on one hand. But, on the other, she would have believed that they had taken care of his main "problem" (HE) and she may have been narcissistic enough to think that she was once again in control of SM and that he would not dare not follow any detailed directions she gave him.

Re: the phones, remember TM talked about how awesome Nancy Grace is and it appears she followed her show. So, that may have given her enough knowledge to think about the phones. They could have used burner phones at different points, including a trip to Florida, or wherever needed.

Yep, inexpensive, could have purchased way far in advance, at a store away from home, used fictitious info for setup, then disarm or tear apart & throw away.

I thought we had discussed in the past that Tammy wrangled a family trip out of what was supposed to be an individual event. We're going back a ways now so I could never remember when and where this was discussed but I do remember something like that.

Yeah, just not sure which event it was which is why I'm asking lol. I completely forget. It's been awhile since I've been to Heather's boards.

Yes, I think it was Delta Dawn who said she got some free tickets from the charity for the marathon.

I've explained before why I believe the DNA sample was sent to the University of North Texas. That's the same lab where the Jamison family's DNA samples were tested. Their remains were found on November 16, 2013. The news of positive IDs was released on July 3, 2014. Seven and a half months.

I'd be surprised if we hear DNA results on these remains before November.

ETA - Also, just FYI: Heather's NamUs profile says DNA "sample available - not yet submitted"

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23314/0/

We've been talking about the ID of remains being released and gag orders. This is a different case with different circumstances but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Citing a judge's gag order, investigators Thursday would not release the identity of human remains found this week in Amador County, but the sister of Ripon's Mary Morino Starkey, who vanished in June 2005, said the find raised her hopes.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070713/A_NEWS/707130323

To be clear. I am not saying that I think they know who the remains belong to at this point. Just posting this article because we've discussed this. ;) I also think that Florida LE will be considerate of HCPD's wishes if this should turn out to be Heather.

Plus they'd have to be bc HCPD holds jurisdiction over the murder case, so FL's sunshine laws and need for info wouldn't take precedence over HCPD's need to keep the evidence & release of said evidence pure.

This is what I kind of think as well... I do wonder the same as someone else mentioned here - could they be using this "find" in Deland as a way to keep Tammy & Sidney sweating? Idk but seems strange when considering that the person that found the remains said he saw either a yellow or tan sheet when the skull rolled out, yet now we hear the remains were wrapped in a pink robe, curtains and a Mickey Mouse homemade bed sheet. Then pair that with the fact that police used cadaver dogs when they searched the Moorer property but they had no positive hits, yet something regarding evidence found on the Moorer property contained DNA which led to murder charges. So what could contain DNA but not show death, yet still be used as evidence for murder charges? Maybe Heather's purse or wallet, a clothing item of hers or something like that? It's the only thing I can think of when considering the cadaver dogs didn't hit on anything there. I'm also confused as to where police believe Heather was murdered. They've said murdered at Peachtree Landing but the DNA found at the Moorer homestead throws me off. So was she supposedly killed at Peachtree or the house? Couldn't be the house or the dogs would have hit on it, right?

I am going back and reading old threads from before I started watching this case. I started around the date that the un-redacted police report came out and found this that I did not know about her purse:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...e-Beach-18-Dec-2013-6&p=10123737#post10123737

You kind of need to read the whole page and maybe even the page before that (on the 25 page setting)

Correct me if I am misreading it, but at first her purse was missing and then it was found. Did they find it at the Moorers?

I've explained before why I believe the DNA sample was sent to the University of North Texas. That's the same lab where the Jamison family's DNA samples were tested. Their remains were found on November 16, 2013. The news of positive IDs was released on July 3, 2014. Seven and a half months.

I'd be surprised if we hear DNA results on these remains before November.

Right, that makes sense. I think I'm confusing myself bc of Caylee's case. I think when they pulled MTDNA it was from her hair that was found with a deathband in Casey's trunk. Right? Sometimes DNA can be abstracted but sometimes it's depleted, especially if something was used to promote accelerated decomposition.i really need to reacquaint myself again. Hope I'm not giving you a headache.

Right, that makes sense. I think I'm confusing myself bc of Caylee's case. I think when they pulled MTDNA it was from her hair that was found with a deathband in Casey's trunk. Right? Sometimes DNA can be abstracted but sometimes it's depleted, especially if something was used to promote accelerated decomposition.i really need to reacquaint myself again. Hope I'm not giving you a headache.

Augh, this whole thread gives me a headache, lol. I keep telling myself to avoid it, there's no new news, the answer will come in time. And then I run out of other things to read and click on it and get sucked in all over again.

I am going back and reading old threads from before I started watching this case. I started around the date that the un-redacted police report came out and found this that I did not know about her purse:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...e-Beach-18-Dec-2013-6&p=10123737#post10123737

You kind of need to read the whole page and maybe even the page before that (on the 25 page setting)

Correct me if I am misreading it, but at first her purse was missing and then it was found. Did they find it at the Moorers?

No, you're reading it correct. That doesn't mean she'd have used the same big purse when she left to go meet Sidney, though. I have several size handbags. When I have a quick trip down the street, I grab a wristlet, throw my card & license in it along with my cell, gloss & wide toothed comb. I also use the same thing walking around Disney, but going out to dinner I use a handbag that matches whatever I'm wearing.

I just did a quick google search & it's in or near Georgetown SC. The Black River is there. Lots of hunting.

My thought was maybe they put Heather there until they went to FL? Or maybe just put her there period.

Both nuclear and mtDNA have been successfully retrieved from human skeletal remains, hundreds or thousands of years after death.

1-s2.0-S1355030613000579-main.pdf

Google D. Higgins and J.J. Austin/ Science and Justice *advertiser censored* 2013 for the pdf.

Or, just the 1-s2.0-S1355030613000579-main.pdf

Yes, it can often be retrieved from old and damaged bones, even very old and very damaged bones. But the success rate is nowhere near 100%.

Not sure of any significance, but feel someone close to the case had a good reason to ask the question.

Okay, gotcha. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, just haven't had my full dose of coffee yet and the wheels are turning slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member