Still Missing HI - Ariel Sellers AKA 'Isabella Kalua', 6, last seen asleep in bdrm, Waimanalo, 12 Sep 2021*Arrests

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MISSING GIRL'S ADOPTIVE PARENTS SEEKING TO GET OTHER KIDS BACK

Missing girl's adoptive parents seeking to get other kids back

William Harrison, a criminal defense lawyer, said it was the Honolulu Police Department that made the allegations to have the three sisters, ages 12, 3 and 1, of Isabella removed, not Child Welfare Services.

Harrison seemed pleased it was police, not CWS.

"Normally, if there's possible harm, that's when CPS (Child Protective Services ) steps in, " he said. "Only the Police Department claimed there was possible harm, and they don't have any evidence."

He said the adoptive parents are "going to litigate that issue."

Harrison accompanied them to meet with detectives.

"My clients spent a significant amount of time—over two hours, " providing them with a recorded statement, he said, adding police reiterated they were not suspects.
From your link:

Steve Lane, who has served as a court-appointed special master in the Peter "Peter Boy " Kema Jr. abuse case, said holding two multidisciplinary team meetings for two injuries could only mean the injuries were suspicious or there was a history of harm

Hawaii Revised Statutes Section 346-17 says any adult living in a foster home convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation could be reason to deny certification of the home. Isaac Kalua has a felony assault conviction record.

Did the bio family and LE call off searching simultaneously? Tomorrow Isabella will be missing for twelve days. What are the plans to find her now?

I'm concerned for her siblings, but they are alive, not missing, and now under the microscope of CWS. The Attorney friend is squeaking loudly and defensively for the AP's. But says little about Isabella and the plans to help find her. Matter of fact he sort of implies she brought it on herself by saying Isabella has "a habit of leaving the house at night to sleep in the yard. She either wandered off or was abducted". That really infuriates me.

I'm in the camp that we have to be careful. That guy, Steve Lane, didn't say everything...found out that the CPS adoption background check requirements is ONLY 5 years. He glossed that over. Yes, that rule should be changed but I wonder with all that knowledge, he didn't elaborate. Too, too many red herrings and obfustication. Just really my opinion.

Did the bio family and LE call off searching simultaneously? Tomorrow Isabella will be missing for twelve days. What are the plans to find her now?

I'm concerned for her siblings, but they are alive, not missing, and now under the microscope of CWS. The Attorney friend is squeaking loudly and defensively for the AP's. But says little about Isabella and the plans to help find her. Matter of fact he sort of implies she brought it on herself by saying Isabella has "a habit of leaving the house at night to sleep in the yard. She either wandered off or was abducted". That really infuriates me.

It's hard to believe that the police would call off the search after only one week...one week is nothing. According to the following previously posted article, the biological family said (simultaneous to the police announcement) that they would no longer be coordinating the volunteer searches -- but at the same time they said that the search would continue, but not at the park. I took that to mean that the family will continue searching, but since the police have closed their command post at the park it won't be from that location and they won't be coordinating with the police. The way the article is written it is subject to different interpretations.

A spokesman for the family said the search would continue but not at the park, which also served as a command post for police and other authorities.

Honolulu police suspend search for missing 6-year-old Isabella Kalua

Since police have stopped the search but are still investigating, I think that they might have a pretty good idea that Isabella/Ariel didn't wander away or wasn't abducted. Did you notice that the police officer who gave the news conference is a homicide lieutenant? That gave me an uneasy feeling.

With all due respect to the most popular missing persons/homicide case at the moment, why is this little girl, a minor and, by most standards, a vulnerable person, a blip on the radar right now??

I don’t find the small details of her life concerning on their own but put together I’m deeply concerned for this kids safety.
I have a 6-year old girl. They don’t run off into the dark on their own or prefer to “sleep outside” unless there’s something very abnormal at play. I find it concerning, per a previously posted article, that her broken finger wasn’t checked out. That would have been a trip to urgent care and a follow up at the pediatrician for us, no doubt.

I’m sure the siblings are being interviewed and that more will come to light through those interviews but I sure hope those kids have been placed in very carefully vetted hands.

ALL MY OPINION ONLY
all of this.....i agree.

It's hard to believe that the police would call off the search after only one week...one week is nothing. According to the following previously posted article, the biological family said (simultaneous to the police announcement) that they would no longer be coordinating the volunteer searches -- but at the same time they said that the search would continue, but not at the park. I took that to mean that the family will continue searching, but since the police have closed their command post at the park it won't be from that location and they won't be coordinating with the police. The way the article is written it is subject to different interpretations.

A spokesman for the family said the search would continue but not at the park, which also served as a command post for police and other authorities.

Honolulu police suspend search for missing 6-year-old Isabella Kalua

Since police have stopped the search but are still investigating, I think that they might have a pretty good idea that Isabella/Ariel didn't wander away or wasn't abducted. Did you notice that the police officer who gave the news conference is a homicide lieutenant? That gave me an uneasy feeling.
they stopped the search??? dear lord, she's 6. So like you said a homicide lt. gave the news conference? nothing good is going to come out of this.

Community search for missing Waimanalo 6-year-old continues

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Volunteers are continuing the search for Isabella “Ariel” Kalua.

The 6-year-old was last seen Sept. 12 at her home on Puha Street.

Since then, there’s been no sign of her. And police haven’t released any updates on the investigation since previously saying they couldn’t rule out foul play.

A community search is planned for Saturday at 6 p.m., starting from Puha Street.

Community search for missing Waimanalo 6-year-old continues

Why is this case not moving? Is it because she is in Hawaii? If she was on the mainland, I bet there would be more movement.

Where is sweet Isabella?
Agree. Came back here today thinking there would be news, IMO she is not safe so to speak--and if she walked out and came to danger i would think she would have been discovered by now or found.

I feel like so many Hawaii cases just go unsolved. Do any of you living there feel the same?

Did this family have alarms to warn if she left the house during the night, if they're saying she had a habit of doing so?

Poor Isabella.
I remember reading that they had something like that set up. Ok, I found a quote that states it was a surveillance system.
A post on social media said the home’s video surveillance showed the child left the house at 1 a.m., but the Star-Advertiser could not verify that.
Hundreds of volunteers continue search for missing 6-year-old Waimanalo girl, Isabella Kalua

People will be gathering together tonight, Sat., Oct 2, in support of Isabella / Ariel. I found a poster on Instagram, but since I don't subscribe to Instagram I wasn't able to copy it. This is the text:

Leave a light on for Ariel
Put your purple lights, hazards, etc.
on & join us
gather together to
show Ariel "Isabella"
family support
When: Sat., Oct. 2
Where: Waianae Boat Harbor
Time: 5:30 pm

There was a rally in support of Isabella / Ariel held last night, Oct 1. I found a poster for this on Facebook, but since I'm not on Facebook, I couldn't copy it either. That poster is headed "Where is Ariel?" The biological family must be putting on these events since they use the name Ariel. Both of the posters were in the same format, and they have a cute picture of Isabella / Ariel that I haven't seen before. I would post the links, but I don't think it is allowed.

The police and the news media have sure been quiet. In the HPD news conference on 09/17, HPD Homicide Lt. Deena Thoemmes said that it was too soon to say if the items found in the garbage bag were connected to the case, and she said that there were other items found in other locations that were also being studied to see if they were connected. She said they would probably know in about a week (then later she said a week or longer.) It has been 2 weeks now so they should know something by now. I wonder if they will release the results of their analysis publicly or if they won't be able to comment. I also still wonder about the significance of a homicide officer conducting the news conference, and I'm surprised that a reporter didn't question that.

Hoping she'll be found soon!

This has gone totally silent in the local news ever since a day or so after they announced they were calling off the organized search. Also, I haven't been able to find any info as to whether or not the adoptive parents prevailed at that hearing and got the other kids back. Did anyone else find that announced? I'm guessing it won't be public news, but it sure should be. jmo. Really wish one of the local reporters would grab a hold of this story, dig deeper and continue reporting on it. Ariel/Isabella deserves that, at the very least. I also agree with ChatteringBirds that it feels like too many Hawaii cases go unsolved. jmo moo imho

Wednesday, Oct 6, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
In front of CPS

There will be a Peaceful March and "Ariel Didn't Wander Off Rally."

Hopefully all of the rallies and marches will get the attention of the media. I was going to also say get the attention of LE, but I have to believe that they are still actively working on the investigation.

A peaceful rally of about 75 people was held Friday night for missing Isabella Kalua, also known as Ariel Sellers, the 6-year-old Waimanalo girl, who was reported missing Sept. 13.

The rally was held at the intersection near the girl’s Puha Street home to keep public interest alive for the missing girl since police have not been able to find her, nor have there been any updates from police in weeks.

Rally held for missing Waimanalo 6-year-old girl

Such a precious little girl. I pray that she has not come to harm, and will be found safe very soon..
I check this thread every day or so, but seldom post (anywhere.) Most of you are so good at finding things and posting. And SO much smarter than I am!!

After weeks since 6-year-old Waimanalo girl went missing, advocates push for answers

After weeks since 6-year-old Waimanalo girl went missing, advocates push for answers

By HNN Staff
Published: Oct. 6, 2021 at 1:45 AM PDT|Updated: 25 minutes ago

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - It’s been a few weeks since a 6-year-old girl was last seen at her Waimanalo home, and child advocates are demanding answers.

A group called “Protect the Keiki,” which focuses on cases of sexual assault and human trafficking, is urging authorities not to ease up on their search for Isabella “Ariel” Kalua.

Kalua disappeared nearly a month ago. Her adoptive parents had told police she walked away in the middle of the night.

Child Protective Services has been under scrutiny for placing the girl and her siblings in the home.

The group’s founder — who wants to remain anonymous — is a mom herself and said Kalua’s case raises red flags.

“CPS needs to ask about why this family was approved. You know, even when they have a violent past, why would...do they have, you know, the rights to be with these kids. And also, we want us to be sure that other kids don’t go back to this family,” she said.

“We’re all up in the air waiting to know what’s going on for her case, and I felt the community deserves an update to allow us to to know if the investigation isn’t missing any critical part.”

The Kalua family has not spoken publicly, but their attorney has said they are cooperating with the investigation and want her home too.

Protect the Keiki said it is staging a rally on Wednesday at the CPS office on Waiakamilo Road.

Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back