GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying they'll go for it but that's the defense he'll use. Tactic, he's a known liar so lying is his norm. He lied about this and that, but oh well thats what he does. Now introduce big lie he mentioned in opening statement. Apo is trying to get the jury to believe SC in fact does lie so they buy this upcoming lie that's a big part of his defense. Why else would he encourage and bring out in cross examination that witness's think SC is a liar. He almost forces them to say it.
Age old tactic, he may be a liar but he's not a murderer.

Yup. Standard defense playbook. With Scott Peterson, it was "he may be a cheater, but he's not a murderer. And he only lied to his girlfriend."

I didn't follow Peterson closely. I remember a movie with Craig T. Nelson that must have stuck with me. The defense used he was sleeping with his step-daughter at the time which means he didn't murder his wife. His character didn't want that coming out and the attorney said you want them to hate you for that because it means they won't convict you of murder. BTW, he did in fact murder the wife. I forget the rest.

I didn't follow Peterson closely. I remember a movie with Craig T. Nelson that must have stuck with me. The defense used he was sleeping with his step-daughter at the time which means he didn't murder his wife. His character didn't want that coming out and the attorney said you want them to hate you for that because it means they won't convict you of murder. BTW, he did in fact murder the wife. I forget the rest.

There are many similarities between the Peterson and Scott-Capobianco cases. Both Laci and Charli were pregnant; Laci was 8 months, Charli 5. Both Laci and Charli had big dogs. Laci's was a golden retriever. Both SP and SC claimed that the missing women were with their dogs. (I don't see a serial killer who's looking for a victim choosing a pregnant woman accompanied by a large dog.) Both dogs were released and found soon after, not killed. Both SP and SC had that nonchalant, unconcerned, arrogant attitude. Scott was pictured smiling at his late wife's candlelight vigil. You've read Kim's description of SC's tone being "out of context". Both SP and SC gave media interviews, and both had alibis that didn't ring true for more than one reason. Both SP and SC placed themselves at/near the place where their victim's body parts would later appear. Neither SP or SC was named a suspect immediately and neither of them was arrested until a few months after the murders. Laci had a sister-in-law who was pregnant at the same time she was and she was so happy that her son would have a cousin the same age. And Charli's sister Brooke was also pregnant and they were looking forward to having same-age children as well. Both Laci and Charli were expecting sons and had named them - Conner and Joshua. And of course, both SP and SC had new, young, thin, blonde girlfriends, both of whom testified for the prosecution.

Re: the possibility that SC deliberately dropped Nala off in Nahiku.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/225...cc2aca18fd20763!2m2!1d-156.077556!2d20.801255

From SC’s house to Nahiku – according to Google maps, 1 hour 27 minutes. Round-trip is 2 hours, 54 minutes.

If SC dropped Nala off in Nahiku before going to Nua’ailua, that leaves ~1 hour, 6 minutes, possibly longer, to drive down to Nua’ailua on the way back, do the deed, get back to Haiku and clean up well enough to meet Taylor at Hanzawa’s. I assumed that he met her @ 12:30 for this calculation.

If SC dropped Nala off after meeting Taylor and after skyping Cassie at 2:30, say he left Haiku at 2:45, he could easily have been back to Haiku in time for work, assuming a 7 AM start time.

Now considering that SC is a known drug dealer, is it possible that he had a client or two out Hana way that he did business with after meeting with Taylor/Skyping with Cassie? And that he just dropped Nala off along the way?

Re: the possibility that SC deliberately dropped Nala off in Nahiku.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/225...cc2aca18fd20763!2m2!1d-156.077556!2d20.801255

From SC’s house to Nahiku – according to Google maps, 1 hour 27 minutes. Round-trip is 2 hours, 54 minutes.

If SC dropped Nala off in Nahiku before going to Nua’ailua, that leaves ~1 hour, 6 minutes, possibly longer, to drive down to Nua’ailua on the way back, do the deed, get back to Haiku and clean up well enough to meet Taylor at Hanzawa’s. I assumed that he met her @ 12:30 for this calculation.

If SC dropped Nala off after meeting Taylor and after skyping Cassie at 2:30, say he left Haiku at 2:45, he could easily have been back to Haiku in time for work, assuming a 7 AM start time.

Now considering that SC is a known drug dealer, is it possible that he had a client or two out Hana way that he did business with after meeting with Taylor/Skyping with Cassie? And that he just dropped Nala off along the way?

Any Google map time prediction can be bettered 15 minutes easy if you know the road

So Stevens parallels....

Taylor's black dress.

The guy who picked him up hitchhiking was a Rasta version of himself.

He was driving a car just like Brookes.

So Stevens parallels....

Taylor's black dress.

He was driving a car just like Brookes.

His fake story about his truck being stuck on Hana Hwy was similar to what really happened once with Taylor.

Originally Posted by PeterTosh
So Stevens parallels....

Taylor's black dress.

He was driving a car just like Brookes. [Corolla, right?]n.

Kapua:
His fake story about his truck being stuck on Hana Hwy was similar to what really happened once with Taylor

Me: Add again the old ace in the hole Corolla, as he told his coworker he had hurt his hands fixing one belonging to a friend.
[Makes me think in some way, a Corolla really is involved]

Very interesting about the zip ties and SC's hands, Napili. Definitely didn't look like a dogbite or burn marks to me. I can't "see", though, how the mark(s) would be to top of his one hand (left, I believe). Wouldn't the marks be to the back of the fingers or palms if he was dragging something heavy through the brush (as in the pinky of the right hand)?

I know... Originally, I imagined a thin rope, wire or twine pressing hard as if with a weight. It would be pressed against the hand, as when you grab a twine and, pulling it toward yourself, you cause it to press against the top of your hand as you try to get a better bite, causing the mark on the top, while the other, supporting hand would get the pinky mark. Picture tug of war. (Only not.)

Still, perhaps grappling with a slippery zip tie & something heavy and unwieldy could do it...Anyway, just a thought...

Incidentally, they were along the back, and I 'd meant to say that instead of "palms", re the marks on SC's hands. I just realized I misstated it--sorry sorry bout that! Late nights :)

Testimony Monday or today??
I was hoping, but I can't find anything. Should be.
Between the Olympics and politics, stories are having to compete hard right now. Oahu news is featuring the H1 freeway stabbing from last week. I think part of this is because it took Maui TWO YEARS and four odd months to get it to trial. There would be a lot more public interest if they had gotten the show on the road. Those of us who really followed it are dedicated of course.

Testimony Monday or today??

At the bottom of either the latest Maui Now or Maui News articles (I linked it yesterday?) it was stated there was no court on Monday, but it would resume Tues. Sum total of my knowledge on that subject.
Feel like I've slipped my moorings since live-streaming was discontinued.

At the bottom of either the latest Maui Now or Maui News articles (I linked it yesterday?) it was stated there was no court on Monday, but it would resume Tues. Sum total of my knowledge on that subject.
Feel like I've slipped my moorings since live-streaming was discontinued.
Well, that was great help, MM. Now we know. I had seen one article that said court would resume on Monday morning, so something may have changed. I wonder if Apo is still crying mistrial and necessitating some closed court time or I don't know what. I really miss the live stream where we got to see the witness answer. The reporters do great summary, but it's still summary.

Isn't Hawaii 5 hours behind eastern time? So it's on 2:15 there. Court may not be over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours in summer, DST, 5 hours in non-DST months. We don't do DST.

I was hoping, but I can't find anything. Should be.
Between the Olympics and politics, stories are having to compete hard right now. Oahu news is featuring the H1 freeway stabbing from last week. I think part of this is because it took Maui TWO YEARS and four odd months to get it to trial. There would be a lot more public interest if they had gotten the show on the road. Those of us who really followed it are dedicated of course.

I for one embrace the Hold Out. I know he is behind bars and sweating it. Meanwhile it's a beautiful day in Haiku.

Well, that was great help, MM. Now we know. I had seen one article that said court would resume on Monday morning, so something may have changed. I wonder if Apo is still crying mistrial and necessitating some closed court time or I don't know what. I really miss the live stream where we got to see the witness answer. The reporters do great summary, but it's still summary.

I really miss the live stream too. You can tell so much from the witnesses' demeanor and tone of voice. The summaries are great and I'm glad that we have them, but I have to wonder what's not in the articles that could be important to the case.

IMHO, a mistrial would not benefit Apo's client or the state, which I hope would elect to retry SC. They might even be able to use the DNA evidence the next time 'round.

Isn't Hawaii 5 hours behind eastern time? So it's on 2:15 there. Court may not be over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We typically see the Monday trial news about 12 PM PDT (9 AM Hawaii Time) or later on Tuesday, and so we are a day behind all week long. And Thursday there is no court, so we'll get Fridays trial news some time on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper