HI HI - Hauula, 'Barnacle Bill' UP6909, 19-25, SCUBA suit bought In Tacoma, Nov'82

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DQN, you're the best!

:seeya:

It's always better to have more bests, and very little worsts. What we have here is all the best, and Laughing is front and center, next is DQN & the rest, but everyone is on the same page, giving back Barnacle Bill his name and family. [emoji172][emoji41]✌️[emoji305][emoji1342][emoji890]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military, secret service, drugs (they use underwater mini submarines too) and of course an orphan who made something out of their life, bought a boat and got caught up with a shark could affect the arm. Very interesting thread, but the military very rarely if ever bring to light they are missing a diver. Especially a navy seal or diver. Explosives etc. Only recently a French Secret Service Opperative came out saying he killed Green Peace People and sunk the Rainbow Warrior. Very odd for a diver not to have a base either. They are like pilots telling people they are leaving the dock. Then you have air sea and rescue. Was there any rescue missions around then where they found no one? Maybe the newspapers would have missing diver stories from then?

An exposure suit is not a diving dry suit. It is "one size fits all" with no provision for buoyancy control as a dry suit has. This suit was not and could not be used for diving, it was intended for one purpose, to be donned in an emergency and keep the wearer afloat and from dying of hypothermia until found by rescuers.

Rescue never happened for Bill.

There are several Bayley 7-01-00 Exposure suits for sale on line at any given time, Google it and have a look. He wasn't diving when he met with misfortune. The coroner's office was in error when they described it as a scuba type suit. Being Hawaii they probably never saw one before. If they did not contact Bayley at the time they dropped the ball severely. I could not find Bayley's warranty or sales records for that serial number, but back when Bayley existed, maybe they could have.....

An exposure suit is not a diving dry suit. It is "one size fits all" with no provision for buoyancy control as a dry suit has. This suit was not and could not be used for diving, it was intended for one purpose, to be donned in an emergency and keep the wearer afloat and from dying of hypothermia until found by rescuers.

Rescue never happened for Bill.

There are several Bayley 7-01-00 Exposure suits for sale on line at any given time, Google it and have a look. He wasn't diving when he met with misfortune. The coroner's office was in error when they described it as a scuba type suit. Being Hawaii they probably never saw one before. If they did not contact Bayley at the time they dropped the ball severely. I could not find Bayley's warranty or sales records for that serial number, but back when Bayley existed, maybe they could have.....

Military, secret service, drugs (they use underwater mini submarines too) and of course an orphan who made something out of their life, bought a boat and got caught up with a shark could affect the arm. Very interesting thread, but the military very rarely if ever bring to light they are missing a diver. Especially a navy seal or diver. Explosives etc. Only recently a French Secret Service Opperative came out saying he killed Green Peace People and sunk the Rainbow Warrior. Very odd for a diver not to have a base either. They are like pilots telling people they are leaving the dock. Then you have air sea and rescue. Was there any rescue missions around then where they found no one? Maybe the newspapers would have missing diver stories from then?

The sinking murder of Greenpeace has been known for years. If you mean the one for the nuclear testing in the South Pacific. Very horrible

DQN - Why did they ask about military service? Is Bill thought to have been in the military or was it just for the dental records for Douglas?

Namus asked if Douglas was in the Military I said yes I will send you his Military info. Namus said they will pull his dental records from the Military to compare with the Dentals of the UID. We will see. I will keep you posted.

It is to obtain the dental records for Douglas from his military records.

Did I just read that this Doe had a pre-Mortem injury or fracture to his maxilla?

Does that fit with any of your possibles?

Magnum P.E., I just read your post on Cruisers & Sailing forums from March 2016, and I must say Magnum, I am so impressed with your thoughtful, smart, tenacious & respectful post advocating for Barnacle Bill, March 2016.
You really did good in the name of Websleuths and you got some very good hits with very nice folks over there.
It's always a pleasure watching and reading about the good WS does and how y'all help give the UID their name back and help get someone lost back home, and like all of us here, I'm praying Barnacle bill gets his name back one day soon.

I am always proud to be a Websleuth!

Magnum P.E., I just read your post on Cruisers & Sailing forums from March 2016, and I must say Magnum, I am so impressed with your thoughtful, smart, tenacious & respectful post advocating for Barnacle Bill, March 2016.
You really did good in the name of Websleuths and you got some very good hits with very nice folks over there.
It's always a pleasure watching and reading about the good WS does and how y'all help give the UID their name back and help get someone lost back home, and like all of us here, I'm praying Barnacle bill gets his name back one day soon.

I am always proud to be a Websleuth!

Thanks so much U2, I am an engineer and tend to approach things in that way. It is very gratifying when someone appreciates the effort.
If we could only find out who (if anyone) has the old records of Bayley! An exposure suit would likely have had a warranty associated with it, and that serial number would tell us who bought it, which would give us a fighting chance of finding his identity.

Did I just read that this Doe had a pre-Mortem injury or fracture to his maxilla?

Does that fit with any of your possibles?

That is a vast field, could have been someone in a fight that had a broken nose or jaw or a bad injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_trauma

[h=2]Signs and symptoms[edit][/h]

Bruising, a common symptom in facial trauma​

Fractures of facial bones, like other fractures, may be associated with pain, bruising, and swelling of the surrounding tissues (such symptoms can occur in the absence of fractures as well). Fractures of the nose, base of the skull, or maxilla may be associated with profuse nosebleeds.[SUP][1][/SUP] Nasal fractures may be associated with deformity of the nose, as well as swelling and bruising.[SUP][2][/SUP] Deformity in the face, for example a sunken cheekbone or teeth which do not align properly, suggests the presence of fractures. Asymmetry can suggest facial fractures or damage to nerves.[SUP][3][/SUP] People with mandibular fractures often have pain and difficulty opening their mouths and may have numbness in the lip and chin.[SUP][4][/SUP] With Le Fort fractures, the midface may move relative to the rest of the face or skull.[SUP][5][/SUP]
[h=2]Cause[edit][/h]Injury mechanisms such as falls, assaults, sports injuries, and vehicle crashes are common causes of facial trauma in children[SUP][4][/SUP] as well as adults.[SUP][6][/SUP] Blunt assaults, blows from fists or objects, are a common cause of facial injury.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][1][/SUP] Facial trauma can also result from wartime injuries such as gunshots and blasts. Animal attacks and work-related injuries such as industrial accidents are other causes.[SUP][8][/SUP] Vehicular trauma is one of the leading causes of facial injuries. Trauma commonly occurs when the face strikes a part of the vehicle's interior, such as the steering wheel.[SUP][9][/SUP] In addition, airbags can causecorneal abrasions and lacerations (cuts) to the face when they deploy.[SUP][9][/SUP]

Bayley made exposure suits, dive suits, exposure dive dry suits made for cold water or so you can stay in colder temperatures longer. . Dive shops did not always log serial numbers unfortunately.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BAYLEY SUITS.JPG
    BAYLEY SUITS.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 128
Thanks so much U2, I am an engineer and tend to approach things in that way. It is very gratifying when someone appreciates the effort.
If we could only find out who (if anyone) has the old records of Bayley! An exposure suit would likely have had a warranty associated with it, and that serial number would tell us who bought it, which would give us a fighting chance of finding his identity.

Your welcome, Magnum. You wear your engineer coat perfectly.

I have always thought the exposure suit the key to solving this mystery.

I forget which poster on the Cruise Forums said the suits may have been purchased in bulk, not individually by a company who will need them for employees, (seasick maybe?) and my head exploded with such fantastic info as well as the other info provided.

Do you know if the list of lost sea/shipwreck info in and around the Pacific has been studied? I have plenty of time if needed to scrutinize anything.
I'm also sure Laughing probably knows what has been looked and eliminated. I feel a second or third look is also warranted. I believe the warranty/serial # info is still around, somewhere.

About the arm amputation, I'm puzzled by the new bone growth if it's true b/c it was also mentioned, not quoting here, how can a one armed man get into an exposure suit without help? I have zero experience with diving, my DH does though, so I'm assuming this is meant to be a very tight fit even though they are One Size Fits Most, and maybe difficult but probably not impossible with enough practice, especially in an emergency with adrenaline pulsing through your veins.
My ex husband was in bad motorcycle accident in 1996 & he would not allow his mangled right arm to be amputated and its basically useless like his head is.
Even though he is a steaming pile of ****, I was very impressed with his ability to turn to use his left hand for writing, tying shoes & everything else relatively quick in between 26 surgeries & court. He also had years to perfect his new left handiness while serving his time for manslaughter in a Georgia Crowbar Hilton, & in my opinion, this murdered someone while driving his Harley like no tomorrow. (Sorry, had to get in my insults)

Please don't hesitate to correct me.

People who are new to the case should check out the first page of the thread where Magnum, laughing, apearn, and the others report on the search to identify the suit. There's a picture of the model he was wearing, charts of ocean currents, and lots of other good stuff.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Your welcome, Magnum. You wear your engineer coat perfectly.

I have always thought the exposure suit the key to solving this mystery.

I forget which poster on the Cruise Forums said the suits may have been purchased in bulk, not individually by a company who will need them for employees, (seasick maybe?) and my head exploded with such fantastic info as well as the other info provided.

Do you know if the list of lost sea/shipwreck info in and around the Pacific has been studied? I have plenty of time if needed to scrutinize anything.
I'm also sure Laughing probably knows what has been looked and eliminated. I feel a second or third look is also warranted. I believe the warranty/serial # info is still around, somewhere.

About the arm amputation, I'm puzzled by the new bone growth if it's true b/c it was also mentioned, not quoting here, how can a one armed man get into an exposure suit without help? I have zero experience with diving, my DH does though, so I'm assuming this is meant to be a very tight fit even though they are One Size Fits Most, and maybe difficult but probably not impossible with enough practice, especially in an emergency with adrenaline pulsing through your veins.
My ex husband was in bad motorcycle accident in 1996 & he would not allow his mangled right arm to be amputated and its basically useless like his head is.
Even though he is a steaming pile of ****, I was very impressed with his ability to turn to use his left hand for writing, tying shoes & everything else relatively quick in between 26 surgeries & court. He also had years to perfect his new left handiness while serving his time for manslaughter in a Georgia Crowbar Hilton, & in my opinion, this murdered someone while driving his Harley like no tomorrow. (Sorry, had to get in my insults)

Please don't hesitate to correct me.

I don't know if the list of shipwrecks or missing at sea has been studied. I am a diver and less so, a sailor. I have actually worn an exposure suit, and they are made to be very loose fitting and easy to don. They usually have only one penetration of the suit, the front zipper, which is (for the one I donned anyway) not toothed like a clothing zipper but more like a zip lock baggie.
Maybe we should post on sailing forums. Based on the interval of time and presumed area where he was lost, someone's memory might be jogged.

I don't know if the list of shipwrecks or missing at sea has been studied. I am a diver and less so, a sailor. I have actually worn an exposure suit, and they are made to be very loose fitting and easy to don. They usually have only one penetration of the suit, the front zipper, which is (for the one I donned anyway) not toothed like a clothing zipper but more like a zip lock baggie.
Maybe we should post on sailing forums. Based on the interval of time and presumed area where he was lost, someone's memory might be jogged.

Thanks for the description of the exposure suit, as you see, I know nothing on this subject, am willing to learn and your a good teacher.
Exposure suits & wet suits are nothing at all alike I am learning.
I just assumed if it fit like a glove it would be watertight, boy was I wrong. Lol
Your description makes perfect sense, especially the zipper and a one armed person would be able to dress himself.

Sailing forums, good idea.

The only experience I have with water & watercraft is swimming, fishing in fathers Bass & pontoon boats, canoeing as well as sailing Catamaran style in the middle of the Caribbean ocean when I was 15. Lol

When did you start diving & are you still active, Magnum?

I get very seasick on bigger boats like the Mike Fink & even bigger riverboats for sightseeing & dining. Bleh

Thanks for the description of the exposure suit, as you see, I know nothing on this subject, am willing to learn and your a good teacher.
Exposure suits & wet suits are nothing at all alike I am learning.
I just assumed if it fit like a glove it would be watertight, boy was I wrong. Lol
Your description makes perfect sense, especially the zipper and a one armed person would be able to dress himself.

Sailing forums, good idea.

The only experience I have with water & watercraft is swimming, fishing in fathers Bass & pontoon boats, canoeing as well as sailing Catamaran style in the middle of the Caribbean ocean when I was 15. Lol

When did you start diving & are you still active, Magnum?

I get very seasick on bigger boats like the Mike Fink & even bigger riverboats for sightseeing & dining. Bleh

I started diving in 1978 and am still active, but don't get to dive as often as I want to. I started sailing a few years before that, and own a tiny day sailer. I knew what a Bayley exposure suit is, and that the coroner's office had made a mistake that led some up a blind alley that we are still exploring.
The only Mike Fink riverboat I know of is the one at Disney World. I sure hope you did not get sick on that!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back