HI HI - Kauai, 2 Males, Located March 16, 1979 in Hanakoa Valley, Na Pali Coast

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

HopeRains

My name is Lisa Coburn Kesler.
Reaction score
Starting a thread on these two, located together, in March 1979.

Originally thought to be a man and woman, NAMUS identifies both as males. I'm unable to see any DNA related info but note that NAMUS case updated in 2019. (Note that Claire Ueno, the investigator listed in Namus, passed away in 2017). I actually talked with Claire on this case probably 10-ish years ago and remember her telling me that the scene was very peaceful, no determined cause of death, it appeared they just laid down and went to sleep.

Unknown to me what has been determined since that conversation regarding any new/additional info.

1. Camp site area, single sleeping bag, water shelter/tarp, firewood
2. Empty single backpack
3. Pen from a California firm (I believe I saw somewhere it was a real estate firm)
4. Turquoise ring in silver setting (on victim presumed initially to be a woman)

I have a couple of snapshots of older articles I want to share, and am hopeful I will do it correctly but am sure someone will assist me if I do not - thanks!

Attachments

• Honolulu Advertiser, March 28, 1979 Page 2.PNG
    Honolulu Advertiser, March 28, 1979 Page 2.PNG
    302 KB · Views: 23
  • Honolulu Advertiser, March 20, 1979 Page 4.PNG
    Honolulu Advertiser, March 20, 1979 Page 4.PNG
    537.4 KB · Views: 21
Unidentified Wiki lists them, but no additional information https:///wiki/Kauai_County_John_Doe_(1979-13057)

The articles in the first post clarify that they were sharing the sleeping bag and shelter, and were found snuggled together.

Their Namus pages don't have any new information.

Their Namus pages don't have any new information.
sbm. Says one of them had a beard (or "beard present"). I don't think that was mentioned in the articles. I'm guessing the other one didn't. Not very helpful though.
I wonder if they have DNA and they -know- "the other one" is a male, or if they're assuming due to the size/ appearance of the bones and the ring?
Were there no clothes present?

In this article these two unidentified persons are slightly mentioned. The mysterious disappearances on a popular Hawaii trail

Could the cause of death be accidental poisoning? I remember a case about a Belgium couple that had eaten some kind of leaf, thinking it was eatable and died because of it. The difference is that the Belgium couple was not decomposed that much, so they could find traces in the body. What's against this is that I don't expect they went so peacefully though. Maybe this men took something together and they "just" went over to the other site, in peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back