Home Schooling

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

10ofRods

Verified Anthropologist
Reaction score
Walmart here in the boonies had plenty of toilet paper early this morning. How is the teaching from home going @10ofRods ?

Well, kind of okay. I have quite a few objective tests and the students really do study for them. They're learning to read way better, because they have no choice. I have lots of videos, but no Zoom (many reasons).

Lots of problems with students having only their phones to access a data-rich online class - but I've put into place the recommended "flexible" policies - for this semester.

Thank you for asking. I really do learn so much from being here on WS - most people here are so well-informed, it is so helpful when a current event is the best/only topic.

Well, kind of okay. I have quite a few objective tests and the students really do study for them. They're learning to read way better, because they have no choice. I have lots of videos, but no Zoom (many reasons).

Lots of problems with students having only their phones to access a data-rich online class - but I've put into place the recommended "flexible" policies - for this semester.

Thank you for asking. I really do learn so much from being here on WS - most people here are so well-informed, it is so helpful when a current event is the best/only topic.
I have one daughter who is a teacher and having challenges and I have another daughter who has 2 children going to school "remotely" that have challenges.
I get where you are coming from, just by listening to both sides.

I have one daughter who is a teacher and having challenges and I have another daughter who has 2 children going to school "remotely" that have challenges.
I get where you are coming from, just by listening to both sides.

The kids here like the Socratic by google app for help if a teacher isn’t available. I am really impressed with how much the kids are helping each other (and the less techy teachers) as well. There really is an app for a lot if one looks. Here’s a starter list : The Savvy Parent’s Guide to 20 Free Educational Apps for Kids | Rasmussen College

and @10ofRods , have them try for a grant for those document cameras

I wonder if this will change the way we educate children and parents choose home schooling over the traditional way.
I've heard as many as 40,000 kids are ignoring online learning.
The kids here like the Socratic by google app for help if a teacher isn’t available. I am really impressed with how much the kids are helping each other (and the less techy teachers) as well. There really is an app for a lot if one looks. Here’s a starter list : The Savvy Parent’s Guide to 20 Free Educational Apps for Kids | Rasmussen College and @10ofRods , have them try for a grant for those document cameras

Many kids are ignoring online learning. 15,000 in LA alone. Up to 25% of 600,000 have no internet.
Thousands of Los Angeles high school students are not accessing online learning during school closures

I've heard as many as 40,000 kids are ignoring online learning.
E

Many kids are ignoring online learning. 15,000 in LA alone. Up to 25% of 600,000 have no internet.
Thousands of Los Angeles high school students are not accessing online learning during school closures

We have heard some states are doing nothing for the kids in terms of learning. Every internet provider, and even cell phone providers are providing free internet. Physical packets and workbooks are being passed out.

Almost everyone has a cell phone- and the classroom sites are accessible via cell. Duval County in FL handed out hot spots and laptops. Lousy districts and lousy parents make excuses. The good districts and good parents find a way, imo.

Week 4 here. Can I help ?
Thank you for the offer. Just adjusting to google class meets at various times and filling in for a colleague and getting students motivated to show up online. My Lab is still recovering from emergency surgery so I have not had the chance to get out my pjs all day. Tomorrow is a new day right?!

Checkin in... Today is day 1 of distance learning for my teens, not a fun experience.

I bet not. What I find is working are really clear deadlines (I'm a teacher) which I then exempt students from, on a case by case basis (I am letting all of them do late work). SO many home variables for students.

Today, our 5 year old granddaughter had kindergarten on Zoom. 20 kids in the class, an amazing 12 showed up. Two (including my granddaughter) were so shy they refused to speak. One little boy bravely stepped up to do the read out loud segment.

I truly truly think that parents of homeschooled kids should focus on reading, world events, literature and small amounts of statistics. Granddaughter practiced the concept "exponential" with a bunch of tongue depressors we happen to have. I know that my college students could benefit from a similar exercise, because they only know what it means in theory and on paper - they can't visualize it.

I'm here to help if you want. Most teens can do many of these:

Free online courses you can finish in a day | Coursera

I recommend the Stanford course on health and nutrition, and also the one on research methods. They are not hard and they are very well done.

I wouldn't worry too much about following the school dictated curriculum just yet.

I bet not. What I find is working are really clear deadlines (I'm a teacher) which I then exempt students from, on a case by case basis (I am letting all of them do late work). SO many home variables for students.

Today, our 5 year old granddaughter had kindergarten on Zoom. 20 kids in the class, an amazing 12 showed up. Two (including my granddaughter) were so shy they refused to speak. One little boy bravely stepped up to do the read out loud segment.

I truly truly think that parents of homeschooled kids should focus on reading, world events, literature and small amounts of statistics. Granddaughter practiced the concept "exponential" with a bunch of tongue depressors we happen to have. I know that my college students could benefit from a similar exercise, because they only know what it means in theory and on paper - they can't visualize it.

I'm here to help if you want. Most teens can do many of these:

Free online courses you can finish in a day | Coursera

I recommend the Stanford course on health and nutrition, and also the one on research methods. They are not hard and they are very well done.

I wouldn't worry too much about following the school dictated curriculum just yet.

My Facebook feed was full of parents asking if it was 5 yet at 9am . LOL

I am not wot worried about my teens since they are both on honor roll but so many parents are struggling and only 5 teens out of 40 showed up to my google meet class. I see so much " I don't care" and I cringe at how many students will be lost academically in the Fall.

My Facebook feed was full of parents asking if it was 5 yet at 9am . LOL

I am not wot worried about my teens since they are both on honor roll but so many parents are struggling and only 5 teens out of 40 showed up to my google meet class. I see so much " I don't care" and I cringe at how many students will be lost academically in the Fall.
I wouldn't be surprised if this caused a shift to year-round school. Every student in the country is going to be behind, and it will be even worse if there are more waves and social isolation during the next school year.

Thank you for the offer. Just adjusting to google class meets at various times and filling in for a colleague and getting students motivated to show up online. My Lab is still recovering from emergency surgery so I have not had the chance to get out my pjs all day. Tomorrow is a new day right?!

Our district has the teachers and kids following the in school schedule, so they are on a familiar schedule. Definitely more work ensuring needs are met/etc. virtually than teaching in a regular classroom. Hang in there....!

This thread is for parents and others specifically interested in the how-to of home schooling.

Please share suggestions, tips, resources that relate to home schooling of children whose education has been interrupted as a result of Covid-19.

The following pretty generic link is just for thread starter purposes but members will surely find many more appropriate articles and links.

How to Homeschool During the Novel Coronavirus Outbreak
Parents who already teach at home offer tips on how to make the transition work.

Are we allowed to swear in here because !@%£^&$*! home-schooling is hard some days!!
Haha The first day my two asked 'what do we do if there isn't enough room to write the answer?' Extra sheet of paper never entered their heads.
I found myself trying to imagine a teacher with 25 kids all asking similar questions, it almost pushed me over the edge!

Teachers need to be given a huge pay rise along with all the other critical key-workers!

My friend has had her kids working to their usual timetable, whereas we have just kinda winged it depending what fitted best on the day. Interested to hear how anyone has done with the timetable method as we might have to try that after Easter - winging it has resulted in all the easier/shorter stuff being completed and a nice pile of more in depth project work to tackle. Arrrghhh.

Aside from all that, and a couple of difficult days, I think we're doing ok. Ish. Mainly.

Haha The first day my two asked 'what do we do if there isn't enough room to write the answer?' Extra sheet of paper never entered their heads.
I found myself trying to imagine a teacher with 25 kids all asking similar questions, it almost pushed me over the edge!

I still get that in college. That's the reason I started teaching labs instead of just doing lecture classes. "Get out a piece of paper, put your name at the top right corner" is, apparently, very difficult to remember to do. Knowing to get a new paper if you run out of room is apparently hard to remember to do.

You know what works? Doing it over and over and over and over again. First time, very simple instructions. Then, add one. Put your FIRST and LAST name on the paper. In the upper RIGHT hand corner. Don't vary that. Make them do it with the page in portrait mode all the time. Make them use margins. Then add in the date under their name. Tell them they have to remember to do all of this (without being prompted) on their own.

Some day. So that when you say, "Get out your paper and get ready," they actually get more than one piece of paper, put their names on the tops of them, etc. Without you saying any more.

Because otherwise I will have to do that when they are 18-19 years old. I'm not kidding - it takes about 3 weeks to be able to say, "Get your paper ready in portrait mode," OR "get your paper in landscape mode." And guess what I have right now, in my stack of work?

Papers with no names on them. Yep. At the end of the term (and only at the end), I'll get emails from students who say, "I know I turned that in, why didn't I get a grade?"

Welp, I throw away 1-2 assignments weekly for 16 weeks. I have no clue whose paper these are. A couple of people are absent, a couple don't remember to write their name. I am still walking around the class at mid term pointing at upper right corners and asking why the name isn't already there.

"Because I will put it on later."

Me: "But this is a lab. I need you to put your name on FIRST as I have now said dozens of times. How can I trust you with delicate fossil casts if you can't follow instructions??"

Of course, there are other reasons I want that name there first. Good ones. But it really is just about following instructions in terms of the course rubric.

I've been trying to do some experiments on these kids. About memory. I'm learning some interesting things about the non-compliant ones. They really aren't good at remembering what we call "neutral information." If anyone wants to know more about that, just ask. Hahaha.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back