Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NASA's Kennedy Space Center readies itself for Hurricane Dorian

At NASA, employees are working to protect the 400-foot Launch Pad 39B at risk of hurricane damage. Officials are moving the crawler-transporter, the massive tracked vehicles that carry spacecrafts, to the mobile launch pad, in case they need to bring the pad back into the Vehicle Assembly Building. The crawler-transporter moves at about 1 mile per hour, NASA says, so they are moving it now in preparation for Monday’s storm, hoping to get ahead of the heavy wind and rain expected.

Fort Lauderdale: Hurricane conditions are possible Saturday night through Monday night.

Orlando, Cocoa Beach and Daytona Beach: Hurricane conditions are possible Sunday through Monday.

Hilton Head Island: Tropical storm conditions are possible Monday and forecasters said heavy rain is a major concern.

Destin and Panama Beach: Tropical storm conditions are possible Monday. The local forecast office said the storm will likely bring showers and thunderstorms from the east beginning Saturday through Monday.

How will Hurricane Dorian impact vacation spots like Destin, Hilton Head Island?

Last edited:
I have family in Orlando, Marco Island, Jensen Beach and Naples.

My daughter is also supposed to go to The Rolling Stones concert in Miami on Saturday. It hasn't been postponed/cancelled yet.

So we are all keeping an eye on this storm.

orian%2011_1567090856949.jpg_16231002_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

LIVE UPDATES: Dorian could rapidly intensify; Florida prepares for Cat. 4

JerseyGirl, I just read they are moving The Stones up to Friday night.

And I hope that works out for everyone....

From another Jersey girl, here, I saw The Stones in Philly end of July, and let me tell you no one wants to miss this concert. They were so fabulous.

Philly’s fan song choice was , from Sticky Fingers. It fits, luuuuvvve, it’s a ! I really love that they are playing fan favorites all over the USA. Each city chooses their song...

Oh, have a fabulous time. Because I know you will!

My love, prayers, and good vibes go out to Miami for TRS Friday night, and to all our peeps in Florida in the coming days. We love you PR, the US islands, and all points Florida... ❤️

Eta: ha! Philly’s song got bleeped! I love it.

Last edited:
We always fill up all the bathtubs with water. Ice in multiple coolers. Generator for the well pump.
I have a checklist that I use since the area gets hit frequently.

Us too. Living on the river that feeds into the Atlantic- and our section of power lines run under the water to Cumberland Island, we are usually prepared all of the time. Power goes out here quite a bit

Let me try this again... :p

Publix is selling a Hurricane Dorian cake. My daughter saw it this morning. She said the store wasn't overly crowded but people were buying water and canned goods.

CQP2CYQV7NEBBGVEVQMY2NK7EU.png

Publix made a Hurricane Dorian cake. Some shoppers aren’t happy. | Tampa Bay Times

The Miami daughter says she's ready - they have water and canned goods and the barbecue grill has a full tank of propane. It looks like it'll land a fair bit north of there though but if it becomes a catergory 4 they'll feel some effects throughout South Florida.
Hurricane Dorian updates: Category 4 possible when storm hits Florida this weekend — latest track, path, weather forecast and models - CBS News

I drag my story out every time a big hurricane threatens Florida so apologies up front :rolleyes: but having gone through hurricane Andrew and the aftermath, it still affects me, especially since my kids and grandkids live in the path of so many storms. Andrew blew by so fast it was mostly the winds more than water but it still took months to recover. We lost power for a couple of months.

FPL did bury some power lines underground after Andrew and replaced old wooden poles with concrete ones, mainly around Homestead. The problem with burying lines in Florida is that the water table is so shallow it presents a huge and expensive challenge. Plus, with the frequent flooding in the area repairs would be daunting.

Since 1992 a lot of changes have been utilized, notably the newer hurricane impact windows and better shutters. We lost most of our house due to the wind and a tornado that blew through the street, having no shutters and just using plywood and tape. Lesson learned.

All of you in Florida and other states that may be affected, stay safe and hang in there - you'll be in our thoughts!

Even people who are not directly in the path of the hurricane will be affected by the rain bands. And if it is a slow moving storm, that keeps circling, the rain can be torrential, lots of potential for flooding.

Stay safe.

Husband just reminded me that the moon is at perigee so spring tides in Florida start Monday. That means the coastal water levels for tides will be higher than normal. Combined with any storm surge that may happen, it could cause a whopper storm tide. Ugh. My Miami daughter is only 2.5 miles due west of Matheson Hammock.

Latest advisories are in:
National Hurricane Center

My daughter drove over from the west coast this morning to her Gma’s place in Vero Beach. Her Dad is flying in also to help with hurricane prep. She stopped to top off her gas tank in Okeechobee. One station was out of gas and she had to wait in line at the next one.

I am concerned that there are so many elderly, poor, disabled people that have no one to look out for them. Prolonged rain will mean heavy flooding at high tide. Then no one will get out. We lost too many souls in Hurr. Katrina. If you know someone who may need help, please get them registered today on their county’s website for a medical shelter. Offer to take their pet so they don’t have any excuse not to go. Check on your neighbors, get the phone numbers of their immediate family. Now is the time to take care of each other.

Last edited:
Leon County, Florida

The City of Tallahassee said it is opening two sandbag locations at noon Thursday to help people prepare for the heavy rainfall and possible flooding from Hurricane Dorian. The current forecast says heavy rain and strong winds may begin as early as Saturday night.

Bags and sand will be available at James Messer Park South at 2830 Jackson Bluff Road, which is on the south side of Jackson Bluff Road between Appleyard Drive and Dupree Street. Bags and sand will also be available at the old Northwood Mall at 1940 North Monroe Street, near the entrance off of North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The locations will be open until the severe weather has passed and it's determined there's no more need.

People will need to bring their own shovels and fill the bags themselves. There is a 25 bag limit per household.

City crews will monitor the sites and provide more sand and bags as needed between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day the sites are open.

People can report flooded streets within Tallahassee city limits to 850-891-4968.

Gadsden County, Florida

Gadsden County said sandbags will be available to the public Thursday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Post Plant Pit at 1090 Post Plant Road in Quincy, Florida.

People are limited to 15 sandbags per household and must bring their own shovels. Gadsden County Public Works employees will help elderly people and people with special needs.

The county said it may set up more sandbag locations as needed, weather permitting.

Wakulla County, Florida

Starting Friday at 1 p.m., the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office and Emergency Management will give sandbags out between the sheriff's office parking lot, which is located at 15 Oak St. in Crawfordville, Florida, and animal control, at 1 Oak St. There will be a 10 bag limit per vehicle.

Taylor County, Florida

According to the Taylor County Sheriff's Office Division of Emergency Management, sandbag distribution started Thursday at noon at these three locations:
  • Taylor County Public Works Department - 587 US-27, Perry, Florida 32347
  • Blue Springs Roll-off site - Blue Springs Lake Road, Perry, Florida, 32347
  • Steinhatchee Roll-off site - 738 SW 286 Avenue, Steinhatchee, Florida, 32359
Thomas County, Georgia
Thomas County Public Works said on Facebook people can start picking up bags at the following locations Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.:
  • Sunset Fire Station, 244 County Farm Road - Thomasville, GA 31757
  • Woodruff Farm Road (Sunset) Collection Site - 1433 Woodruff Farm Road, Thomasville, GA 31757
  • Dillon Road Collection Site - 4265 Dillon Road, Thomasville, GA 31757
  • Stewart Road Collection Site - 142 Stewart Road, Thomasville, GA 31792
  • Hansell Road Collection Site - 27 Hansell Road, Meigs, GA 31765

The county will provide bags, sand and shovels. There is a five bag limit per household and people must fill the bags themselves.
Where to get sandbags in the Big Bend and South Ga. before Hurricane Dorian

Here are 15 ideas from readers to readers, lightly edited for grammar and clarity:

⇒ “Make copies of your pets licenses/tags and vaccinations. Take a picture of your pet and put everything together in a water proof container. Make sure your pets are wearing their ID tags" — Jennifer Kerrick

⇒ “Solar outdoor lights are the best. Put them on the grass to charge during the day. Bring them in at night, put one in each room and the whole house has light.” — Linda Star-Siegel

⇒ “Save gallon jugs, good supply of water. I hang the empties in my utility room ceiling. Clean your garbage cans. You can either take the wheels off and stack them or fill them with your yard stuff.” — Dale Read

⇒ “Fill bathtubs with water. Do all of your laundry before the storm.” — Nikki Lee

⇒ “Freeze tap water in containers or gallon zip lock bags. It’ll help keep your food cold if you lose power and as it melts, you can drink it. Zip locks work well because you can mold them to fit around things in the freezer.” — Paula Edwards

⇒ “Cook meats and freeze. If they thaw, they are ready to eat, or heating them up won’t use so much gas or charcoal.” — Tina Lemons

⇒ “Boil some eggs, make some healthy muffins, get off the internet/news if you start feeling anxiety.” — Jennifer Smith Solomon

⇒ “A supply of fruit juices that go well with rum is essential. And chocolate.” — Elcilene Moseley

⇒ “If you lose power for an extended period of time, fill the garden hoses with water and leave them in the sun for a warm shower at the end of the day. Don’t tell the rest of the family the trick, though, or you won’t be the one to get the hot water.” — Bonnie Bailey Theise

⇒ “Take photos of the inside and outside of your house, it will help tremendously if you have to make an insurance claim later.” — Catherine Martinez

⇒ “Make sure if you live on a boat like we do, that your lines are doubled and proper length is put out to accommodate the storm surge, secure all hatches, make sure your batteries are charged, and bilge pumps are working. Also, you can fill the boat with fuel for the generator if you have one working.” — Joshua Pettis

⇒ “If you have a dog, dig up a divot of grass where you dog has peed. Put it in a litter box (or cardboard box lined with a garbage bag) with kitty litter indoors, so your dog will have a place to ‘go’ while you are waiting out the storm.” — Perry Mudd Smith

⇒ “You can use pool water to flush your toilet. ... One more thing — please, check on your elderly neighbors and single moms. If they need help, now’s the time. Yard toys, grills, lawn chairs. Be kind.” — Cathy McGurk Riess
Hurricane tips from you, our savvy and brilliant readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member