Hurricane Florence - September 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rescues underway in New Bern, NC. Per Fox News 150 people are "trapped".

This storm is exactly what destroyed homes in Sandy. A storm surge is no joke. I was looking at snaps of people in ranch homes that live across from water. This is why insurance companies are requiring Sandy people to raise their homes 3 feet above base flood level. If not then anticipate $1k a month for a flood policy in the future.

700 AM POSITION UPDATE... ...CENTER OF THE EYE OF HURRICANE FLORENCE ABOUT TO MAKE LANDFALL NEAR WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH NORTH CAROLINA...

7:05 AM EDT Fri Sep 14
Moving: W at 6 mph
Min pressure: 958 mb
Max sustained: 90 mph

I have a couple of friends that live in New Bern. She said she has just called Allstate insurance to open a claim.

She said her sister works for an insurance company and said to open a claim now in expectation of damage.

Tomorrow, the phone lines would be too busy to do such. And it gets her at the front of the queue later Although they currently do not have any damage.

I had never heard of such a thing to do!

Just saw this, maybe other mortgage companies will do the same:

Quicken Loans Clients: Important Things to Know About Your Mortgage

• Quicken Loans is stopping September late fees for clients in the Carolinas and Georgia who haven’t made their September payment yet. If there are updates in future months, we’ll let you know. Additionally, if FEMA has declared a natural disaster in your area, there’s a 90-day pause in late fees and credit reporting.
  • If the effects of the storm make it difficult for you to make your payment, we have options available that won’t require you to make any payments for an initial period of three months.
  • If your home is damaged, the claims process will be smoother if you contact your insurance provider first.
Helpful Resources for People Impacted by Hurricane Florence - ZING Blog by Quicken Loans

New Bern:

Two FEMA teams were in the area, the Mayor said in an interview around 5 a.m., that about 200 people had been rescued so far but couldn’t confirm whether there are injuries or fatalities. Most of the swift-water rescues were being made in areas along the Neuse River, including portions of New Bern, Fairfield Harbour, Adams Creek and Township 7.

Water levels by early Friday morning already had exceeded what the area got from Hurricane Irene in 2011. The NHC was reporting over 10 feet of inundation in New Bern.

The city has been placed under a 24-hour curfew until further notice, just before 7 a.m.

Citizen groups are helping with the rescue efforts and the city is not turning away anyone who offers help. Individuals and groups who want to help should meet at the New Bern Fire Department, located at 1401 Neuse Blvd.

“If water gets into people’s homes, we need them to call our emergency management line at 252-636-6608.”

A map sent out by the City of New Bern showed just how widespread the flooding had become. The NCDOT’s Ferry Division reported a 10-foot high storm surge above the normal water level at the Cherry Branch Ferry Terminal in Havelock, which is located in Craven County.

200 people rescued, 150 awaiting help as floodwaters rise in New Bern area

I have a couple of friends that live in New Bern. She said she has just called Allstate insurance to open a claim.

She said her sister works for an insurance company and said to open a claim now in expectation of damage.

Tomorrow, the phone lines would be too busy to do such. And it gets her at the front of the queue later Although they currently do not have any damage.

I would imagine that there will be so many claims, that you just want to get in line. You can always cancel it.

Problem is with this storm is that it is expected to be more of water damage than wind damage. If water hasn't come in from destruction of your home, but rising water, HO policies probably will not cover it. I surely hope these folks affected have flood insurance.

DnDHt7CVAAA1o1W.jpg

Mark Sudduth‏Verified account @hurricanetrack 2h2 hours ago
Screenshot of my cam in Surf City, NC - not too bad here but it could be worse elsewhere.

DnDPYhPXoAA_V5J.jpg

Mark Sudduth‏Verified account @hurricanetrack 2h2 hours ago
New Bern cam just now - surge still up

New Bern - Two hundred rescued - 150 still need help. Some calls for basically "water up to my chest, I need help, come get me".

Instructing people to go to their second floor or attic. "We're coming to get you".

Per Weather Channel.

ETA: From Fox, 10 foot storm surge reported in New Bern area.

Listening to CBS & NBC this AM, and I am VERY impressed by the ongoing rescue and even FIREFIGHTING effort ongoing in the face of the storm!

Just listened to Willmington NC Fire Chief on NBC. He reports that his crews are finding it difficult to navigate city due to maze of downed trees. WFD had to fight a fire overnight in the storm (Incredible bravery and dedication by WFD and others per me). His rescue teams have not yet been able to make to the ocean front as of 8:00-ish this AM.

Heard one line from news reporter voice over that the Cajun Navy were on location, and providing water rescue assistance. Some of the finest small boatsmen in the world. Don't worry if they stop to catch dinner on the way back to the EOC or firehouse (whatever it is, it will be good to eat cooked with rice).

This storm is not H. Katrina, but it is a Cat 1 storm with a Cat 4 storm/tidal surge, and apparently it is possible to function in a rescue and fire suppression role in this environment, as the WFD is doing! Incredible effort AND results. Yet, there are times that all EMFRS can humanly do is to hunker down until conditions allow an active and survivable response. I am now certain that all local EMFRS are doing the best they can, with what they have, in the face of catastrophic conditions. We can ask no more of anyone! There should be no "armchair" criticism of the New Bern or other EMFRS response at this time. Tar heels (North and South) are tough, and will do their best.

(No, not you Jax49 (per criticism), and thanks mucho for your informative post)

On NBC Al Roker knows his weather. Hoda Kotb was a TV news reporter and personality in the New Orleans area for years. She "gets" hurricanes (and good food). CBS coverage is also good, if a bit chatty.

Per your post above: (sic EMFRS) "Instructing people to go to their second floor or attic" (vertical evacuation in place). This is why (I keep saying) if you live in a floodplain, you should keep an axe in the attic for a REALLY rainy day. Look at the FEMA Floodplain maps and then go buy Federal Flood Insurance IF they will sell it to you.

Homeowners Insurance will not pay for any water damage with this kind of flooding. Also, the Snake Farmers and All Snakes handlers you meet on the ground will insist that your metal roof, wind molded into an Oak tree, was put there by storm surge water force, not wind force damage, and refuse to pay! This after paying 30 years of premiums to participate in their "Snake" show. (Per MSM, from the Gulf Coast, in the aftermath of H. Katrina!).

God PLEASE Bless, protect, and watch over all involved in this storm and its aftermath!

File early, file often, and carry Federal Flood insurance, as Allstate Homeowners insurance won't pay for anything THEY think is caused by flood water or storm surge damage. (To be fair, NO Homeowners Policy will pay for flood damage).

********************************************************************************** *ATTN***********************

• Monitor real-time development of flooding following storms or springtime melting.

Folks in the area, or for those who have folks in an area they want to monitor, here is the link where you can find the gage on a specific river and be able to transmit (if you will) info about what is occurring near your loved ones.

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Newport/Morehead City

Last edited:
This is probably obvious, but you can see photos and videos on Twitter taken by regular ol' folk as they experience the conditions. You don't need to have an account on Twitter to view content. Search for #Florence. I can't post links as they are not MSM.

jmo

Downgraded to Category 1

Almost 200,000 without power as Hurricane Florence lashes North Carolina coast

Though the storm, once a Category 4, was downgraded Thursday night to a Category 1 from a Category 2, the danger is very real. Parts of North Carolina may see as much as 40 inches of rain and storm surges could be as high as 13 feet.

As I have said before, Biblical rain. Tell your friends in the area to wave at The Ark as it goes by. Didn't someone up post ask about a nearby earthquake? This may be more Biblical than even I jokenly thought at first!

God please bless them all!

File early, file often, and carry Federal Flood insurance, as Allstate Homeowners insurance won't pay for anything THEY think is caused by flood water or storm surge damage. (To be fair, NO Homeowners Policy will pay for flood damage).

humm I wonder if (carefully) a few drops of gasoline on some big items and a burn mark or two (because much earlier there was a very scary and huge power surge that knocked everything out) and then hours later flood waters came in !!

kidding kidding kidding

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Looneybinmadness