Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans model struggling with landing spot...more agreement on potential strength.
b69c78b1e9e8cdbd9eeeaa3f4cd3e09c.jpg
1d6857e0373178d8f4ec658c567a2bd6.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Hi

I can tell by your posts your into following hurricanes too!

I thought they were way overplaying this one but I love tracking them and studying them

and prior to charlies loved getting therm!!

And I did ok but seeing the damage first hand was incredible .

It took like half a year for all the trees and power poles to be hauled out they had to open a whole like wood chipper chopper factory!!

Writing from South Carolina....worried about this one too...wherever it goes....models not aligned yet, although the Euro gets it right most often....

http://spaghettimodels.com
2ffc95c4de66e193c70b03548d16bf5b.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

That one right now is at 20 percent chance of formation but gonna probably be a problem for them just because of increased rain

Where we are, you & I are going to have to keep an eye on Irma, dear CARIIS

I know my dear and not a good feeling not in for a wind event

I shall confess! I started my plastic bag freezing when I heard a quick thing about it but put that project on hold when I actually saw where she was!!

It like 10 days away!! HOwver , my test run was great - different refrdige since my last ziplock attacks .

This made me happy. I have luxury zip bags now. And I really need to go get cheapo ones .

I am gonna go do the D batteries tho!! Been meaning to do so since 2014!!

The AC went out about 6 days ago and I have battery fans (purchased after charlie !) and they take like 9 D each!!

I thought I had batteries in the giant lattern ( also bought after Charlie ha)

Frances was the first one in my life (of course after Charlie) I was petrified! She was huge and a cat 5 for a while and coming for a visit!!

I had a friend come stay with me . He is a sleeper. Totally useless - he slept the whole time.

And she turned out to be fun just cause by the time she got here she was a pain in the arse rainer.

Then for Jean I was still scared. So i went to Lindas, Another no fun. As she picked up Linda put a mattress over the window and I could not even see it. Then she took xanex and fell asleep on me also !!

Totally mortified with Matt- we lucked out

Wilma was really bad down where my mother is but fun here!

But then I tell myself Harvey was such a bad boy this is one is not gonna do the flooding but the water around here is really hot -

This place has really cheap windows!

And I was on a fire dept power grid during Charlie .

My real fear is AC

Wilma was amazing after she pulled out - it got cold!!

Ha the perfect way to do a hurricane if I lost power here afterwards

For Charlie Matt was without power for 8 days and the street he was off made the front page he was blocked in by trees .

I felt horrible cause i never lost power and AC

Henry are you voting Fl or NC?

--

Where we are, you & I are going to have to keep an eye on Irma, dear CARIIS

Its like 84 degree water around here not good if she choses to come by in terms of category

Charleston
SC
(09/01/2017 01:48 UTC)
Daytona
Beach
FL
(09/01/2017 01:40 UTC)
Savannah
Beach
GA
(09/01/2017 00:50 UTC)
Fernandina
Beach FL
(09/01/2017 01:54 UTC)
Mayport(Bar
Pilots Dock),FL
(09/01/2017 01:54 UTC)
St Augustine
Beach FL
(09/01/2017 01:00 UTC)
Miami
Beach
FL
Stuart
Beach
FL
Virginia
Key, FL
(09/01/2017 01:30 UTC)

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

Something tells me drought in these ares is no longer one!!

Lead stories

A new evac order did ot catch name

Several more of the rescuers electocuted bodies found

Sewer system problems beginning

i am concerned about fresh water stuff

with that kind of volume how could it not only be a matter of time until they mix or is it the treatment plants can deal with that even when it happens.

There is all kinds of oils on highways -- I dont know if treatment plants typically have to filter that out and as long as they have power maybe Houston will be ok??

ANyone?

Just fill up your cars sure prices are going up and why pay them more !!

Following, and continued prayers (and donations to various causes) for all affected.

Thank you Gitana! Those are two great videos. The first would only play halfway through, but I loved watching the old news footage from the 1953 Dutch flood. Many scenes just like Harvey! Hard to watch the child or young woman (I think) tug on that bag of sand, but reminded me of my great-grandmother who was Dutch-German. This quote always makes me think of her "And though she be but little, she is fierce!" So many beautiful horses rescued! Bless their hearts! You could tell many were just exhausted! WE definitely could learn from Holland!

My sister-in-law used to live close to Buffalo Bayou there in Houston and it would flood just under normal rainfall. Built on the coast in very low-lying land. Massive flood in 1936 and before that there was the 1900 Galveston hurricane that had no name.

1900 Galveston hurricane

The Great Galveston Hurricane was a Category 4 storm, with winds of up to 145 mph (233 km/h), which made landfall on September 8, 1900, in Galveston, Texas, in the United States, leaving about 6,000 to 12,000 dead. It remains to the present day the deadliest natural disaster in US history.

The dead bodies were so numerous that burying all of them was impossible. The dead were initially weighted down on barges and dumped at sea, but when the gulf currents washed many of the bodies back onto the beach, a new solution was needed.[30] Funeral pyres were set up on the beaches, or wherever dead bodies were found, and burned day and night for several weeks after the storm. The authorities passed out free whiskey to sustain the distraught men conscripted for the gruesome work of collecting and burning the dead.[21] More people were killed in this single storm than the total of those killed in all the tropical cyclones that have struck the United States since. This count is greater than 300 cyclones, as of 2009. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 remains the deadliest natural disaster in U.S. history.[31]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

CARIIS your earlier post reminded me of what happened during this 1900 hurricane and the deceased.

Gosh

they are opening storm debris places.

You have to have ID. I will post my Red Cross experience when in the mood

But this is the same stuff

Authorities -------- Peoples houses and cars have been under tons of water -- exactly how do you expect people to have id or
a darn power bill --

Red cross did this for katrina people for meds hello anyone home here ?

Fine with me if they are seeking Oxicodinene but really high blood pressure etc etc

Must have an id to get the lousy 300 bucks a week - yeh right people are driving to Orlando not from Katrina for a loudy 300 come on guys -- people were missing there kids having an ID on them after being in the superdome and being helped down here

same thing here while fleeing for there lives they were not getting their IDS

it was horrible experiance. there is much more ugh

I am feeling agitated this evening.

Homeless people all over the place Too much stuff Harvey the tropical depression , he is wrecking something tonight I did not catch which city, death toll going up that Beomont place electric grid Miss Irma N Korea there was a terror attack in london the other night there may be 8 more bombs in that chemical plant media is not doing a good job of preparing people for the realities down the road -- the opposite -- that creates trust problems down the road for stressed folks -- its not good for people

I do not remember the coverage for 2004 being so sugar coated so quick telling people the water is going down is true but not accurate

If you had a 104 fever and are down to 102 is that good? No

OK I think the whole country is allowed to feel agitated jmo

[video=twitter;903369738230915072]https://twitter.com/kfdmnews/status/903369738230915072[/video]

Why on earth are people going to Beamont? That is place that Honore specifically mentioned as being in power grid problems when he uses the word power grid that is different than outages

These tweets are just heartbreaking! So many people trapped. How many?

[video=twitter;903370839898431491]https://twitter.com/kfdmnews/status/903370839898431491[/video]

[video=twitter;903369430138327042]https://twitter.com/wrblnews3/status/903369430138327042[/video]

Dont know why it did it like this

I just do not understand how media can not know for lack of a better word how bad this is gonna be in terms of fatalities

It defies logic to me. In other storms there where evacuations - which would make sense in that intially the numbers might be the end of it

Everyone was IN Houston dont get it

Two major oil pipelines slowed or halted but in realtiy should not mean anything Dallas has tons of stored oil

Everyone does not need to go fill up -- too bad I am doing it just cause of money!!

See this is the stuff I dont like they are doing stuff by having your stuff examined by a qualifyed person before your turning on your power.

Who is gonna do that? There really are that many qualified folks around after 130 000 buildings have been flooded.

Some of it I just dont get

Who has money for someone to come out and give your living space an entire inspection.

Then they say IF your AC was under water bla bla

They all have looking at video of entire communities under water for a week

IF your ac was under water a better question might be whose AC unit was not under water

just saying ......

Thank you Gitana! Those are two great videos. The first would only play halfway through, but I loved watching the old news footage from the 1953 Dutch flood. Many scenes just like Harvey! Hard to watch the child or young woman (I think) tug on that bag of sand, but reminded me of my great-grandmother who was Dutch-German. This quote always makes me think of her "And though she be but little, she is fierce!" So many beautiful horses rescued! Bless their hearts! You could tell many were just exhausted! WE definitely could learn from Holland!

My sister-in-law used to live close to Buffalo Bayou there in Houston and it would flood just under normal rainfall. Built on the coast in very low-lying land. Massive flood in 1936 and before that there was the 1900 Galveston hurricane that had no name.

1900 Galveston hurricane

The Great Galveston Hurricane was a Category 4 storm, with winds of up to 145 mph (233 km/h), which made landfall on September 8, 1900, in Galveston, Texas, in the United States, leaving about 6,000 to 12,000 dead. It remains to the present day the deadliest natural disaster in US history.

The dead bodies were so numerous that burying all of them was impossible. The dead were initially weighted down on barges and dumped at sea, but when the gulf currents washed many of the bodies back onto the beach, a new solution was needed.[30] Funeral pyres were set up on the beaches, or wherever dead bodies were found, and burned day and night for several weeks after the storm. The authorities passed out free whiskey to sustain the distraught men conscripted for the gruesome work of collecting and burning the dead.[21] More people were killed in this single storm than the total of those killed in all the tropical cyclones that have struck the United States since. This count is greater than 300 cyclones, as of 2009. The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 remains the deadliest natural disaster in U.S. history.[31]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

CARIIS your earlier post reminded me of what happened during this 1900 hurricane and the deceased.

Oh my goodness that's my mom! Only 5'1" but tough as nails!!!

Dont know why it did it like this

I just do not understand how media can not know for lack of a better word how bad this is gonna be in terms of fatalities

It defies logic to me. In other storms there where evacuations - which would make sense in that intially the numbers might be the end of it

Everyone was IN Houston dont get it

Two major oil pipelines slowed or halted but in realtiy should not mean anything Dallas has tons of stored oil

Everyone does not need to go fill up -- too bad I am doing it just cause of money!!

See this is the stuff I dont like they are doing stuff by having your stuff examined by a qualifyed person before your turning on your power.

Who is gonna do that? There really are that many qualified folks around after 130 000 buildings have been flooded.

Some of it I just dont get

Who has money for someone to come out and give your living space an entire inspection.

Then they say IF your AC was under water bla bla

They all have looking at video of entire communities under water for a week

IF your ac was under water a better question might be whose AC unit was not under water

just saying ......

The mayor explained and it made sense. He said that when they evacuated a previous hurricane people were stuck in gridlock trying to leave when the storm he and it caused death. Like the six people in the van.

Ordering the evacuation of 7.5 million people out of a city would cause a catastrophe. They were safer staying put. The logistics of having to help them get out now is easier to handle actually, I think.

Also, I don't believe they can ever really predict what exactly is going f to happen, how much flooding there will be, etc.

The mayor explained and it made sense. He said that when they evacuated a previous hurricane people were stuck in gridlock trying to leave when the storm he and it caused death. Like the six people in the van.

Ordering the evacuation of 7.5 million people out of a city would cause a catastrophe. They were safer staying put. The logistics of having to help them get out now is easier to handle actually, I think.

Also, I don't believe they can ever really predict what exactly is going f to happen, how much flooding there will be, etc.

^^^^^ as has been mentioned many times... this!^^^^^
Add to that, the fact that Harvey was really pretty reserved at first...
by the time it got to where things were looking serioius, the time factor in ordering an evacuation... well... that would have been sending more people to their deaths, imo; and I firmly believe that, with my whole heart.
I am thankful there was not a mandatory evacuation order...especially a last-minute one.

...perhaps it's easy for me to say...
but I have family in FOUR different areas all across Houston...
as well as in Katy...
they are ALL dry, safe and well. PTL.
And I'd venture to say, that if they, and all of their neighbors had been issued a mandatory evacuation, they all may very well have been stranded and/or dead somewhere along the way... needing to be rescued, for no reason other than because they left their homes.

I'm so sorry about the death toll. It is not surprising $35 billion in damage is being quoted that estimate might be conservative. I'm worried about hurricane Irma now too the forecasters are saying it will be extremely dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANicholls16