Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks - I'I not home yet ... sitting at the airport waiting for a 7am flight.

Keeping tabs on the news and on this thread, and thinking of all our WSers who are affected or may be affected by this brute.

Thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay safe friends !!

Thanks - I'I not home yet ... sitting at the airport waiting for a 7am flight.

Oh, I missed that, otto, sorry. That's a long wait and it sounds like you've had a rough day. Wishing you a pleasant wait, somehow.

I was evacuated from two hotels today - one by the river, one by the airport. The Civic Centre was busy when it first opened at noon. I'm worried for the people of Savannah as they became complacent because storms usually brush by them. Homeless people along the river in the historic district planned to stay where they were.

I'm :eek:fftobed:. Both my Florida daughters and their families are safe so I can sleep well tonight. I'll be thinking of all those in the path of this horrific storm. Stay safe and remember the best place is an interior room!

Live coverage:

Jacksonville: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/live_streaming/wtlv-live-video/23063504
West Palm Beach: http://www.wpbf.com/nowcast

Sweet dreams, MsMarples. Glad your family is all safe.

I'm in Jax as well. I thought I was in C by looking at the PDF map but after checking the map with my address I found I'm actually in D. We put up our hurricane shutters earlier and are prepared to ride this out.

Stay safe everyone in Matthew's path!

A big thank you to all posting television channels to watch the latest on this hurricane. I do not have cable. I really appreciate the updates.

So far Hurricane Matthew has not proven to be the monster we expected. Many downed power lines, but those can be repaired. Have not had the destruction that was feared, thank goodness. Let's hope this continues the rest of the night and into Friday.

May all of you be be safe if Matthew is coming your way.

http://www.wpbf.com/nowcast very rough paraphrase

Brevard County power going in and out. 3:09 am

St Augustine New Chief urged and pleaded for people to leave, but now to hunker down. They will evac themselves in about three hours. Most concerning marina and inland waterway, as storm moves closer. Mathew not done yet 3:14

Treasure Coast: Outter eye wall now approaching Brevard Cnty/West Melbourne area, high winds expected. Rain coming in horizontally, sheets, now, 2 to 3 inches already and the same expected in the next few hours. Too dangerous to move. Flooding expected. Barrier Isles are in the midst of it. 3:17

Barefoot Bay 74 gust of wind confirmed by initials?

Palm Beach: Closed off due to extremely high, shops battened down, not much damage, some palms, slightly windy, not as bad as a few hours ago. 3:19

Center, just over Sebastian area, heading toward Cape Canv. Still tracking more than expected, East off the coast. 3:26

Treasure Coast: 150,000 apprx out of power. Supermarkets will open midday. Screenshot 2016-10-07 at 3.29.13 AM.jpg first flight 1 pm. Waiting to see what conditions on the Space Coast will turn out to be. 3:32

Palm Beach seems okay, reporting from under the Clock Tower, flooding. 3:34

Wobble East, made the difference, turning into a trend, 3:40 ish

Screenshot 2016-10-07 at 3.51.29 AM.jpg power outages expected to go up. esp in St. Lucie area 3:53

Screenshot 2016-10-07 at 3.54.38 AM.jpg Daytona now, getting ready for the worst. 3:54

Matthew Hammers Florida, Begins Dayslong Beating of Coast
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS via BLOOMBERG (MIKE SCHNEIDER and KELLI KENNEDY)

October 7, 2016 — 2:28 AM ED

[...]

"The number of homes and businesses without power jumped by the hour as the storm edged closer to the coast. More than 200,000 were in the dark by early Friday.

[...]

The hurricane was expected to blow ashore — or come dangerously close to doing so — early Friday north of West Palm Beach, and then slowly push north for the next 12 hours along the Interstate 95 corridor, through Cape Canaveral and Jacksonville, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Forecasters said it would then probably hug the coast of Georgia and South Carolina over the weekend before veering out to sea — perhaps even looping back toward Florida in the middle of next week as a tropical storm.

[...]

The last Category 3 storm or higher to hit the U.S. was Wilma in October 2005. It sliced across Florida with 120 mph winds, killing five people and causing an estimated $21 billion in damage.

[...]

Darcy O'Connor, a restaurant owner who lives in a rowhouse in Savannah, Georgia, a historic city of many beautifully maintained homes from the 18th and 19th century, said she and most of her neighbors were sticking around.
O'Connor noted that her home, built in 1883, has weathered hurricanes before: "Half the windows, if you look, still have the original glass. So that tells you something.""

Kennedy reported from Fort Lauderdale. Associated Press reporters Terry Spencer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Jennifer Kay, Freida Frisaro, Curt Anderson in Miami; Marcia Dunn in Cape Canaveral, Florida; Russ Bynum in Savannah, Georgia; Martha Waggoner in Raleigh, North Carolina; Jeffrey Collins on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina; Jack Jones and Meg Kinnard in Columbia, South Carolina; and Bruce Smith in Charleston, South Carolina, contributed to this report.

Hurricane Matthew, now a Category 3 storm, approaches Florida; emergencies declared in three states
By Renae Merle and Mark Berman, Washington Post

October 7 at 2:21 AM

Screenshot 2016-10-07 at 3.05.13 AM.jpg

Palm Beach (Oceanside) here per hubby since I've evacuated to Sarasota => no loss of power & no storm surge. Grateful.

Prayers to those north up in Jax, Savannah, Charleston, etc in Matthew's path.

I would venture to say it will make more breeding ground. But I am far from an expert! Well expert in being bit by mosquitos! Everyone needs to make sure after the storm and when it is safe to do so, make sure to empty out anything that can hold water. Tires are hot beds in South Georgia. But flooded areas can't be helped really. You know when I lived in northeast Georgia, I would notice that men would go around and drop chemicals in storm drains. I asked someone once and they said it was to control mosquitos. I wonder if they can do something similar and maybe increase spraying for a time. I dunno I doubt their most important thing will be the control of mosquitos but with tons of people coming in possibly to help with cleanup it should be important. Jmoo

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, shoot! I was hoping the mosquitos would face a setback at least. Thank you, PostiveLight and Tulessa for your comments!

ETA This is an amazing picture, wow!
In no way am I an expert, but I am pretty knowledgeable about most animals, especially the wild ones. They DO retreat to higher ground.

A picture of an Elk that hung around my home for awhile. I love animals!

View attachment 102517

I found this just now http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/10/how-hurricane-matthew-intensifies-the-zika-threat-in-florida/503051/

It's a long article, here is a snip
“So in the first wave of wind, heavy rains, and storm surge—it could even have a beneficial effect in terms of washing away mosquito breeding sites,” says Peter Hotez, a pediatrician and the dean for the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College, “but then as the waters recede, it could leave residual reservoirs of water in human-made containers that could breed Aedes aegypti.” (The Aedes aegypti mosquito is one of the main carriers of Zika, dengue fever, yellow fever, and other diseases.) But given that it’s relatively late in the season for the spread of such viruses—even in muggy Floirda—“we might not see this effect,” Hotez told me.

Just fed and took the pack out. One recently had surgery so the pet door is closed due to the cone of shame. We are less than 50 miles inland of Crescent Beach/St Augustine and the weather is balmy with slight wind. We've collected the typical thunderstorm amount of rain during the night and still have power. (Our power is out if a mosquito sneezes). It just began raining again. News4Jax had live coverage of Daytona Beach and the winds are sustained at about 55mph. The reporter was having trouble standing (poor thing). We've made coffee before the power goes out.
Hope all of our fellow ws'ers that are south of us are still well. It looks like it will be fine here. Our county is still in hurricane zone and it has been downgraded to a category 3, and the county next to us has been downgraded to tropical storm warnings. Stay safe everyone.

Thank God this storm so far has not been as bad as they were predicting yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thank God this storm so far has not been as bad as they were predicting yesterday.

I haven't checked the storm surge predictions for those in the Jacksonville area and the St. John's River.

Even though the storm isn't as powerful, that storm surge causes just as much damage to property.

Storm surge 7-11 ft. expected and that does not account for timing with high tide for Jax area. Per CNN

Yes ma'am it sure can.
Thankfully the sun is up now so people can see what's happening in front of them.

[video=twitter;784373985278431232]https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/784373985278431232[/video]

Sky NewsVerified account ‏@SkyNews 55m55 minutes ago
Here's what it's like to fly into the eye of #HurricaneMatthew

Crikey!!

Thanks to all of you for checking in to let us know your ok. I will keep praying for everyone till the hurricane is no longer a threat.

Good morning. Just checking in before the power goes out. WJXT is showing photos of damage as close as Orange Park (trees down on houses, causing bad damage).

Thankfully it doesn't look like it will be worse case--but will be bad enough. Thinking of everyone in the path. Be safe everyone.

Just starting to get the first bands (on the westside). Tornado warning just issued this second.

Be safe everyone!!!

I am wondering how this will affect the Zika carrying mosquitos, either it will wipe them out for a while, or give them extra standing water to breed in (supposing they survive the winds). If anyone with a scientific background or experience with mosquitos would like to weigh in, I would be interested to hear your opinion.

The obstetrician I work for predicts that this will push them further north and provide more breeding ground for them, but it's really anybody's guess at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back