Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They rescued over 500 people in Fayetteville, NC, weather channel. People were on roof tops on in cars.

7 people dead.

A friend of mine on the Chowan River near Edenton NC said it was bad, but they still have power this morning for making coffee. :) They won't be going anywhere for awhile as many roads are impassable. They had flooded roads in September too.

16 U.S. Deaths From Matthew. 7 in NC, 5 in Florida, 3 in Georgia, and 1 in SC. My daughters MIL and FIL left their home on Pawleys Island, SC on Monday. TG they listened to her!

Hi Trigger!Have not looked but hope they are still not hyping a loop back down do not think that will happen!!

887 Water Rescues Reported in North Carolina

I have family in Lumberton NC and they are having some flooding now. My family in Wilmington NC lost power an hour ago. They said the weather was worse in Lumberton. My aunt has a home on the Cape Fear river and it's already flooded. She is safe and not at her home thankfully! Praying for all still riding it out! Stay safe out there! Much Love to all!

ahhhh the movie cape fear

ahhhh the movie cape fear
Ikr?? Every time I visit I think of that movie! She lives on a bend in the river too. It was built for flooding but this may actually do damage to the home. It's an extremely tight bend and they are maybe 300 ft from river on a good day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I made it safely through the storm, now we have massive flooding. Luckily, I'm safe at home!

Safe here in Southport NC. Never lost power but we lost our fishing pier and several of our waterfront homes and restaurants are in bad shape. Seriously flooded. We lost 2 men in a neighboring county when they drove into a flooded area and drowned in their car. Also had to evacuate a hotel that had structural damage.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Glad you're safe! Are you in the flood zone?

My house is safe from flooding but almost all of my area and surrounding areas are shut down completely. We have massive flooding, lots of washed out roads, etc. It's supposed to top our previous flood level which was from hurricane Floyd.

Safe here in Southport NC. Never lost power but we lost our fishing pier and several of our waterfront homes and restaurants are in bad shape. Seriously flooded. We lost 2 men in a neighboring county when they drove into a flooded area and drowned in their car. Also had to evacuate a hotel that had structural damage.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
So happy to hear you are safe! I wish people would heed the warnings and not venture out in flooded areas like that. :( !

[h=2]Goldsboro, NC, residents being asked to voluntarily evacuate due to forecasted flooding of Neuse River, from Hurricane Matthew - Twitter
[/h]

Catching up and reading back now.

Prayers for all the people who have been affected by this monster of a storm.

Good evening, guys!

I've finally made it home to Myrtle Beach from Charlotte! It took us nearly 2 hours longer than normal because of all the reroutes due to road closures. Waze was a lifesaver today because it would have taken me much, much longer if I didn't know which roads were closed until I was forced to turn around.

Anyway, I wasn't really "allowed" to come home yet because the evacuation order for Zone A (which includes me) isn't being lifted until 8 am tomorrow. There was also a 6 pm curfew in place and I didn't get home until well after 8. Despite that, I'm happy to report I made it home safely, my power has already been restored, and there is ZERO damage to my home! I feel absolutely beyond blessed because there are many others in my neighborhood who are still without power and who didn't fare as well as I did.

I started seeing signs of damage on my way home as far away as Cheraw, SC. I was going to count the number of fallen trees I passed along the way but gave up after passing 25. I saw many power lines down and there were more traffic lights out than functioning. A handful of businesses had their signs torn down, dozens of road signs were bent in half, a few highway billboards were completely destroyed, and thousands of tree limbs and branches litter the ground. The worst damage I came across was in Marion SC. It seemed as if every yard in the entire town had at least one tree uprooted (some of them were enormous oak trees that appeared to be hundreds of years old). We even passed a transformer box lying in the middle of a road. There is definitely a lot of cleanup ahead. [emoji20]

I've attached a photo of one of the huge trees that uprooted and three pictures of the Springmaid Pier. The first one is a picture of the pier before Hurricane Matthew, the second one was taken during the storm after it had been destroyed, and the third is a picture of its remnants washed up on shore.

ac40091754e254c634fc3d0cb90fd25f.png
c62ebcd30a484bd2c1324b02a121e7cd.jpg
dd39b4723d9fefbb64208144074edd1a.jpg
869f53b362fd276786fb8bf7252476f6.jpg

Thank you guys for all of your prayers and well wishes during this scary experience! It means more to me than you'll ever know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer! Be careful!!! I speak from experience. You don't even know it's happening. If you know someone is possibly suffering from carbon monoxide please get them away from the source and fresh clean air immediately. My daddy saved my life on New Years Day when he called me and i was soooo sleepy and i thought birds were in my chimney. The sound I was hearing was actually the carbon Monoxide detector going off! like a fire alarm. But to me it sounded like muffled baby birds. He lived only blocks away and busted in the door and drug me outside before I was completely gone. Everything seemed like it was very far away. As I got fresh air my daddy called the fire dept. Come to find out after the fire chief sat on our couch and recorded extremely high levels of carbon monoxide, it was found to be coming from a wall heater that was supposed to have sensors in it to shut off if it was detected. I had been so sick on and off that whole winter up to then. So had my son. We were suffering from exposure to carbon monoxide. Thank God that day I had sent my son with my parents to a party at a family members home. He wouldn't have survived that day. I stayed home because i was so sick. Thankfully that winter it wasn't as cold as it sometimes can be. So I wasn't running the heater too often. Needless to say the new wall units were recalled. Just because it says it's safe doesn't mean it is. Lesson learned! There are many different things that release carbon monoxide. You HAVE to be careful! Stay safe!

Glad you made it through that experience. I totally agree with you that people need to be very careful about carbon monoxide and especially with generators. I read that at least two of the deaths this weekend was an elderly couple running their generator in the garage. Never should do that. The carbon monoxide fumes probably seemed right through the walls or attic into the home area or if they had door cracked for the electric cord to the generator.

I have a generator and I try to be very careful with it as I only ever run it outdoors and I make sure the exhaust is pointing away from the house.

From experience with it I can see where people will make mistakes with them. People need to be sure to buy extra electric cords so they can run the generator outside and use extension cords to get the power into the house. If they dont have the extra cords then they probably mistakenly get the generator too close to house.

Another mistake people will make with them is when its raining. There is a natural tendency to want to run it under shelter to keep it dry. You have to plan ahead for that and have a good spot but still outside.

Another problem with them is you do have to get the cord into the house so you have ot be careful how to do that without getting gasses in too. I run the cord through a window and shut the window down on the cord to where there is just a small crack. But I have my generator so far away that there should be no gasses ever getting to that window.
I am pretty sure other people have made the mistake of having their unit be too close to the opening where their cord goes into the house.

So many mistakes are made because we dont use them very often and if we are not prepared with how to keep the exhaust away and have plenty of cords then mistakes happen.

Like you said though there are other devices that also cause carbon monoxide. Having good detectors is a good starting point. They are like smoke detectors but for carbon monoxide. The gas is odorless and so you dont smell it coming. And like you said when you start getting affected by it then it can be too late because you cannot react to it because you may pass out or not be in your right mind.

When I run my generator i get real scared about the gasses and I think that has helped me do things right so far because i have a good respect of the poison gases that can accumulate. Glad you made it through that example on New years. That was a close call for sure.

I pray everyone is safe and out of harms way.

I am in Aiken Co, SC which is about 2 1/2 hours from Savannah, GA/Hilton Head, SC and 3 hours from Myrtle Beach.
Friday we had a couple real brief power flickers and Saturday we had 5 power outages but all were restored rather quickly.

Many evacuated to here Aiken and Augusta GA across the river as there are many hotels in Augusta.

Glad you made it through that experience. I totally agree with you that people need to be very careful about carbon monoxide and especially with generators. I read that at least two of the deaths this weekend was an elderly couple running their generator in the garage. Never should do that. The carbon monoxide fumes probably seemed right through the walls or attic into the home area or if they had door cracked for the electric cord to the generator.

I have a generator and I try to be very careful with it as I only ever run it outdoors and I make sure the exhaust is pointing away from the house.

From experience with it I can see where people will make mistakes with them. People need to be sure to buy extra electric cords so they can run the generator outside and use extension cords to get the power into the house. If they dont have the extra cords then they probably mistakenly get the generator too close to house.

Another mistake people will make with them is when its raining. There is a natural tendency to want to run it under shelter to keep it dry. You have to plan ahead for that and have a good spot but still outside.

Another problem with them is you do have to get the cord into the house so you have ot be careful how to do that without getting gasses in too. I run the cord through a window and shut the window down on the cord to where there is just a small crack. But I have my generator so far away that there should be no gasses ever getting to that window.
I am pretty sure other people have made the mistake of having their unit be too close to the opening where their cord goes into the house.

So many mistakes are made because we dont use them very often and if we are not prepared with how to keep the exhaust away and have plenty of cords then mistakes happen.

Like you said though there are other devices that also cause carbon monoxide. Having good detectors is a good starting point. They are like smoke detectors but for carbon monoxide. The gas is odorless and so you dont smell it coming. And like you said when you start getting affected by it then it can be too late because you cannot react to it because you may pass out or not be in your right mind.

When I run my generator i get real scared about the gasses and I think that has helped me do things right so far because i have a good respect of the poison gases that can accumulate. Glad you made it through that example on New years. That was a close call for sure.

BBM

That's how I do it and we fix a little shelter for it which also helps w/keeping the fumes away. All of this is good info. We're very careful as well when / if we have to use ours.

Good evening, guys!

I've finally made it home to Myrtle Beach from Charlotte! It took us nearly 2 hours longer than normal because of all the reroutes due to road closures. Waze was a lifesaver today because it would have taken me much, much longer if I didn't know which roads were closed until I was forced to turn around.

Anyway, I wasn't really "allowed" to come home yet because the evacuation order for Zone A (which includes me) isn't being lifted until 8 am tomorrow. There was also a 6 pm curfew in place and I didn't get home until well after 8. Despite that, I'm happy to report I made it home safely, my power has already been restored, and there is ZERO damage to my home! I feel absolutely beyond blessed because there are many others in my neighborhood who are still without power and who didn't fare as well as I did.

I started seeing signs of damage on my way home as far away as Cheraw, SC. I was going to count the number of fallen trees I passed along the way but gave up after passing 25. I saw many power lines down and there were more traffic lights out than functioning. A handful of businesses had their signs torn down, dozens of road signs were bent in half, a few highway billboards were completely destroyed, and thousands of tree limbs and branches litter the ground. The worst damage I came across was in Marion SC. It seemed as if every yard in the entire town had at least one tree uprooted (some of them were enormous oak trees that appeared to be hundreds of years old). We even passed a transformer box lying in the middle of a road. There is definitely a lot of cleanup ahead. [emoji20]

I've attached a photo of one of the huge trees that uprooted and three pictures of the Springmaid Pier. The first one is a picture of the pier before Hurricane Matthew, the second one was taken during the storm after it had been destroyed, and the third is a picture of its remnants washed up on shore.

ac40091754e254c634fc3d0cb90fd25f.png
c62ebcd30a484bd2c1324b02a121e7cd.jpg
dd39b4723d9fefbb64208144074edd1a.jpg
869f53b362fd276786fb8bf7252476f6.jpg

Thank you guys for all of your prayers and well wishes during this scary experience! It means more to me than you'll ever know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So glad you made it home safely! Woah at the pictures! :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member